• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Man, I don't know how you can bribe Benjamin Franklin with a TITLE. He was rolling in women, money, and fame BECAUSE of the Revolution. What would he want a stogy title for?

Oh well, that should still be the least of my worries. Does Lelouch ever stop being a Mary Sue?

Dresden

Why would Benjamin Franklin sell out America? The Revolution made him an incredibly popular, wealthy, and famous man. I mean, of all the founders to sell out, Franklin seems least likely.

I'm just gonna walk away from trying to understand the history of it.

He's one of the most likely, tbh - I mean, there's a reason all those conspiracy theories exist about him or his kin conspiring with the Brits.

Incorrect!
At least Aiura is decent, fun, and entertaining, without being overly stupid. Yuyushiki really isn't any of those things.

Man, I don't know how you can bribe Benjamin Franklin with a TITLE. He was rolling in women, money, and fame BECAUSE of the Revolution. What would he want a stogy title for?

Oh well, that should still be the least of my worries. Does Lelouch ever stop being a Mary Sue?

It's a terribly written series, and you're expecting sense?

He's one of the most likely, tbh - I mean, there's a reason all those conspiracy theories exist about him or his kin conspiring with the Brits.
Conspiracy theories? His son went over to the British side, and that was pretty much it between the two of them...

zeroshiki

How is he a Mary Sue? Lelouch is basically the standard anime hero trope turned upside down.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gets everything handed to him, best at everything, DDR gundam piloting, tragic life story.

He's like Kvothe.

Evangelion 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo

After watching this a couple of hours ago, I agree with you on many levels. I too really enjoyed 1.11 and 2.22, and was shocked by just how messy and boring this movie was. The plot really causes many of the film's other elements to suffer.

It feels like every single character and relationship development throughout the past two films was forgotten in the timeskip. Shinji's relationship with Asuka -- whose return was greatly emphasized as a part of this film -- reverts back to the same tired "baka Shinji" verbal abuse that we saw in 2.22, but this time without any of the jealousy, longing, or loneliness. Mari, a character who I already thought was lacking in her inclusion in 2.22, does absolutely nothing for this film except provide juvenile and lackadaisical one-liners which take away from the gravitas of any of the action sequences. Misato's interactions with Shinji are so bitingly terse that there's little to be gleaned outside of the initial hostility. The complexity of her feelings is only hinted at with her inability to detonate the collar, and then she's whisked away for most of the film.

Cutting Shinji off from these characters for time with Rei and Kaworu could have possibly paid off -- I initially thought that the idea of Shinji having to fight some of his former comrades alongside Rei could be pretty awesome -- but Rei's character progression is quite literally deleted. Shinji's dynamic with Kaworu is muddled in suggestive homoerotically-tinged interaction and cryptic one-liners, and there really isn't much to say about Kaworu himself. And the timeskip, with all of its potential, ultimately does nothing for the plot. So we're left with utterly boring down-time spent in large, empty spaces as Shinji slowly reverts back to who he was in 1.11. It was maddening that no one took the time to explain anything to him, because not only was I confused, but that lack of knowledge on Shinji's part causes almost every single conflict in this film. And that sequence where everyone's yelling at Shinji not to pull the spears, and he STILL does it? Infuriating. I have no idea how that passed the writer's table. I agree, the endless technobabble -- some of which passes as part of the plot -- really killed any emotional investment I had going in, as did the twists, which are all explained at length by some character or another.

So what's good about this film? I mean, it's got some high production values, more good music from Shiro Sagisu, and some nice direction at times. But it feels so spare compared to the previous two films, and not in a good way, with its endless empty spaces and dialogue that is either nonsensically technical or painfully sparse. It's like the machinations of the plot sucked all the life out of its characters, and we're just left with the husks of who they were.

CorvoSol

I don't know, I mean, everything I've ever learned about Franklin suggests to me that the guy had every reason to want the Revolution to succeed and that being bribed with the title of Earl would never be enough to make a man of his fame and prestige sell them out.

What's more confusing is how Franklin selling them out leads to a military defeat. Wasn't his forte diplomacy? I could see a traitorous Franklin ruining the Americans in diplomacy in Europe, but not really military.

You word that as if it were a bad thing.

I know you like Nia and all, but being a Mary Sue is still a bad thing.

Jex

[Evangelion 3.XX]

I don't really feel the urge to talk about the main plot or direction of the movie at this point but I do want to say that the design work makes me want to throw up. Just in case you didn't notice in the last movie, the mechanical designer has lost his mind and now everything look terrible. The character designs aren't much better a number of them are affected by distracting, wonky triangle chins.

What the hell guys?

P.S. feel free to spot the Nadia OST on your way through the film.

Haly

I'm always joking but I stand by what I say.

Lelouch has all one of flaw, which is being kind of a megalomaniac. But then again, what Gary Stu doesn't overestimate himself in all situations?

duckroll

Btw, the "World History" stuff in Code Geass might not even be canon. Most of it is from supplementary stuff from outside the actual show, and since then some of it has been directly contradicted in the new Akito the Exiled series. :p

sonicmj1

Gets everything handed to him, best at everything, DDR gundam piloting, tragic life story.

He's like Kvothe.

He could get beat up by a stiff breeze, and he makes a number of massive miscalculations over the course of the series.

He's not even the best chess player.

zeroshiki

He's like Kvothe.

Lelouch is actually a terrible pilot. His units get blown up more times than Heero Yui. In fact, the only times where Lelouche's units don't get exploded is when he has C.C. piloting for him.

Branduil

Btw, the "World History" stuff in Code Geass might not even be canon. Most of it is from supplementary stuff from outside the actual show, and since then some of it has been directly contradicted in the new Akito the Exiled series. :p

So it's like the Star Wars EU except even less relevant.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Evangelion 3.XX]

I don't really feel the urge to talk about the main plot or direction of the movie at this point but I do want to say that the design work makes me want to throw up. Just in case you didn't notice in the last movie, the mechanical designer has lost his mind and now everything look terrible. The character designs aren't much better a number of them are affected by distracting, wonky triangle chins.

What the hell guys?
But how was the God Warrior short? Much more interested in that.
P.S. feel free to spot the Nadia OST on your way through the film.
I bet they are still using music from Kare Kano, too.

Also you just gave me a reason to actually watch this.

wonzo

Banned
So many negative reactions to Aiura :( I like it, it's endearing. Restrained slice of life shows like this are pretty uncommon. Although yeah, the fact it's 2 minutes long at most makes it pretty hard to get into the show or the characters (+newbie VAs)
I actually like the newbie VA's, it's just that everything else (backgrounds excluded) is just so threadbare. Oh well, atleast it was more entertaining than Mangirl ever was.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm always joking but I stand by what I say.

Lelouch has all one of flaw, which is being kind of a megalomaniac. But then again, what Gary Stu doesn't overestimate himself in all situations?

He has pretty much everything stripped from him before the beginning of the show, is absolutely atrocious with physical activities and is a pretty shitty mecha pilot, and they establish early on that he's also a sociopath.

It's like people don't understand what a Mary Sue character is.

Branduil

[Evangelion 3.XX]

What the hell guys?

Comment taken from that awful youtube preview of 4.0:

I really hope they reboot this show as an anime

Mature

Gurren Lagann - 6
k5PbyjN.jpg

Now this, this was amazing. A great episode on all fronts. Way to take a bathhouse episode and turn it completely on it's head. This episode nearly epitomized the way GL is talked about and how it's synonymous with insanity. Between Kamina and Simon being entirely seduced by the clear facade of the bathhouse and the hysterical attempts (and subsequent failures) of attempting to see the girl cast naked, this episode was a treat beginning to end. And even then they managed to throw in a bit of heart warming Simon introspection as he eavesdrops on Yoko and the girls' conversation. Without skipping a beat, this episode scratched every itch and was paced pleasantly throughout.

Wow, just truly masterful. Left me wanting more with that cliffhanger, too. I look forward to tomorrow.

CorvoSol

How is he a Mary Sue? Lelouch is basically the standard anime hero trope turned upside down.

He beats a man at Chess in 8 and a half minutes with no more than 20 seconds per move. He fights off a trained soldier with no experience at all. A girl who has never met him takes a bullet for him.

Standard anime hero upside down is Shinji Ikari, who actually sucks at everything including life. Lelouch orders guys to shoot themselves in the head and they do it.

He's like Kvothe.

Hey man, Kvothe might be good at sexomancy, magic, sex, ninja sword fightings, sex, music, sex, righteous racial indignation, sex, and sex, but he's uh, well.

Okay yeah, Kvothe is a total Mary Sue, but an entertaining one.

A non-Mary Sue Loldouche would be super lame. The reason his character is so appealing is because he has the means and the charisma to fuck everyone over.

Having means and charisma to screw errybody over can be accomplished without giving your character the magic power to make people do what he wants. In fact, such a power sort of detracts from the need for both means and charisma.

Lelouch is actually a terrible pilot. His units get blown up more times than Heero Yui. In fact, the only times where Lelouche's units don't get exploded is when he has C.C. piloting for him.

In Heero's defense, half the time he wanted his unit blown up. Suicidal was his defining trait and all.

Haly

He could get beat up by a stiff breeze
He'd geass it before it could blow him over.

and he makes a number of massive miscalculations over the course of the series.
All part of his keikakus.

He's not even the best chess player.
He beat Schneizel in the most dangerous game.
Selling models.
He's also a siscon. Nowhere near as bad as Kvothe (pronounced Quothe).
This is not a flaw in anime storytelling.

zeroshiki

He beats a man at Chess in 8 and a half minutes with no more than 20 seconds per move. He fights off a trained soldier with no experience at all. A girl who has never met him takes a bullet for him.

What soldier? Suzaku? Did you even watch the episode?

If your complaint is that he HAS Geass then you're watching the wrong show. The entire point of is it that he's a genius sociopath who gains the ability to get people to do what he says. Thats not being a Marty Sue, that's being the plot.

zeroshiki

He beat Schneizel in the most dangerous game.

Its treated as a breakthrough and part of his character arc no matter how lame it was.

Selling models.
I'm sure everyone was so excited to buy a new Sutherland model after Lelouche blew up his other Sutherland.

I realize you're pretty much just joking at this point but Lelouch is nowhere near Kvothe levels of awful. Now, if you wanted to argue that Suzaku was a Marty Sue, you'd have more of a point.

Dresden

Suzaku wasn't a Mary Sue - he's also the best (and most well-written, although that doesn't mean much in Geass) character in the series. Not surprised that so many anime fans hate him.

Instro

Utter nonsense. Of all the things that went wrong in Supers, Chibiusa is not one of them. In fact, much of the hate directed at her is entirely unjustified, outside spots in R, but that's like hating anything with Artemis in it because he was garbage in the first series.

Preach it brother.

Haly

Thats not being a Marty Sue, that's being the plot.

Saucekay would like to have a word with you.
I'm sure everyone was so excited to buy a new Sutherland model after Lelouche blew up his other Sutherland.
::hides his Code Geass gunpla::

I realize you're pretty much just joking at this point but Lelouch is nowhere near Kvothe levels of awful. Now, if you wanted to argue that Suzaku was a Marty Sue, you'd have more of a point.
Suzaku was set up to be a Mary Sue but was overshadowed by Lelouch so that disqualifies him as Mary Sue (who are never overshadowed). He is desperately trying to be the Sue of the story but gets rebuffed at every turn by his own incompetence.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Gurren Lagann - 6

Wow, just truly masterful. Left me wanting more with that cliffhanger, too. I look forward to tomorrow.
You just wanted to see Nono and L'alc wearing a bunny suit, you perv.
Its just a bunch of miniatures that get set on fire. I don't know how or why Ghibli decided to fund it.
It's not very interesting. I guess it's a neat experiment in visual effects, but the full product is completely one-note.
Anno is a hack.
4yeDYmi.png

I don't think Anno directed it. Did he?
Why do you think Evangelions are CGI now? He spends so much time doing tokusatsu he can't be bothered to supervise 2D animation anymore!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yuyushiki 3

This show has absolutely no business being as goddamn well-animated as it is. For real. It's really just so nice to look at.

Other than that...I generally have no idea what the hell is going on. I think duckroll's right. It's the story of a girl and her two brain-dead lesbian friends. That said, this episode was a big improvement from the first two. So there's that.

CorvoSol

What soldier? Suzaku? Did you even watch the episode?

If your complaint is that he HAS Geass then you're watching the wrong show. The entire point of is it that he's a genius sociopath who gains the ability to get people to do what he says. Thats not being a Marty Sue, that's being the plot.

Okay, 1: Fuck off with the "Did you even watch the episode?" Because obviously I did or we wouldn't be talking about it.

2: Fuck off with the don't watch the show jazz. I hate it when I say one thing about a show and its fans rush to tell me to jump ship because how dare I or whatever. This happened when I dared to say Shinji was a wet-blanket, and here it is again. You don't see me telling fertygo not to watch Martian Successor Nadesico when he knocks it. It'd be different if I was 15 episodes into a 25 and still bitching it up, but this was the pilot, cut me some fucking slack.

3: I have watched ONE EPISODE. ONE. And then I posted my reaction. Of that episode. Not a judgment of the entire show, a reaction to a pilot episode. Of course I don't know the entire point of the plot so quit expecting me to know the entire point of the plot when I have watched only one episode. Defensive much?

Jarmel

Banned
G Gundam 16-

My first instinct was that Bruder is the brother of Domon but then we see the actual brother. Although it's kinda bullshit how Bruder is able to go toe to toe with Asia despite Domon getting his ass kicked like the bitch he is. Domon is really starting to piss me off. Also the Devil Gundam has an awful awful design.

I do like Bruder's theme a lot though.

This whole arc has been fucking awful.

Haly

o_O I had to google this.

Lelouch has flaws. He fails quite a bit. I don't see how bringing Naruto into this makes your point.

The eye thing. Lelouch's Geass is inseparable from his character. Without it, he wouldn't be a consequential character at all. Just like Sasuke would've been just a random extra if he didn't have sharingan.

Jarmel

Banned
Suzaku wasn't a Mary Sue - he's also the best (and most well-written, although that doesn't mean much in Geass) character in the series. Not surprised that so many anime fans hate him.

Noooooooo

Suzaku's philosophy the entire show was beyond idiotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom