• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I've never watched R2.

image.php

Fuck it why do I always end up on top.

Dresden

You mean
if Lelouch didn't fuck up, Lelouch would've succeeded. LOL

He gets what he dreamed of -
peaceful acquirement of additional rights for the Japanese people. His relationship with the princess and his status as a loyal subject of the emperor helps anchor that deal. What more could he want? This is explicitly against Lelouch's original goals.

sonicmj1

Fair enough, but I don't think you can disagree that the scene was meant to boast of Lelouch's skill at chess. Even his sidekick comments on it after they leave.

Well, sure. He's good at chess. But there's nothing wrong with having that as a character trait. He's smart. Lots of characters are smart. He's not the best chess player in Japan (unlike, say, Light Yagami, who scores the highest in the nation on exams).

There's plenty of stuff to be critical of in Code Geass, but you should know that it's crazy to start calling people Mary Sues in the first episode of a series.

zeroshiki

peaceful acquirement of additional rights for the Japanese people. His relationship with the princess and his status as a loyal subject of the emperor helps anchor that deal. What more could he want? This is explicitly against Lelouch's original goals.

But he wouldn't have ever gotten it by just going with whatever crazy ideals he had. It took Lelouch and the entirety of the events fo Season 1 to accomplish that.

So really, its success or failure has nothing to do with him.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Despite what he says I always got the impression that
Lelouch wanted a better world for Nunally. In order to accomplish this, he needed to get rid of the Britannians. Specifically he needed to kill Charles. However, he found a way to solve all of this. Despite his revenge and his desire of keeping Nunally safe being one and the same according to him, they're very different objectives. It just happened that the two overlapped well. With Euphemia, the two goals became separated. I don't think it's against his original goals. It just happened that one of them was met when talking with Euphie. He just happened to fuck it up at the same time. lol.

CorvoSol

Wow. That totally killed my hype.

I'm trying to remain open to the possibility that I'll like this show. I didn't like Eureka Seven at first, and I now feel very fondly of this show.

Leading off with calling out fans of Geass and being proud that you somehow shit on Gundam 00 isn't asking for discussion either.

I'm not really looking to start a fight and/or continue with one. Saying did you watch it is a common rhetorical device and if you felt offended by that then I'm sorry for that but you really need some thicker skin.

Throwing a guy off of you in anime doesn't count as overpowering anyway.

I had not meant to call out fans of the series, and if I did that, I apologize, too. Not for shitting on 00. I really am proud of hating that show. I'm not a fan of being told to quit watching shows mostly because of the aforementioned incident in the Eva thread. I made one comment about Shinji and sat for another three pages of people telling me I shouldn't watch the show, in spite of my continued protests that I'd already seen the whole thing and liked it. It's annoying to me, that's all.

Whatever the case, I apologize for the upset.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well, sure. He's good at chess. But there's nothing wrong with having that as a character trait. He's smart. Lots of characters are smart. He's not the best chess player in Japan (unlike, say, Light Yagami, who scores the highest in the nation on exams).

There's plenty of stuff to be critical of in Code Geass, but you should know that it's crazy to start calling people Mary Sues in the first episode of a series.
Hamlet is a Mary Sue. Prince of Denmark, has everything made, come on.

zeroshiki

Lelouch wanted a better world for Nunally. In order to accomplish this, he needed to get rid of the Britannians. Specifically he needed to kill Charles. However, he found a way to solve all of this. Despite his revenge and his desire of keeping Nunally safe being one and the same according to him, they're very different objectives. It just happened that the two overlapped well. With Euphemia, the two goals became separated. I don't think it's against his original goals. It just happened that one of them was met when talking with Euphie. He just happened to fuck it up at the same time. lol.

While Lelouche's main objective was always
a better world for Nunnally. I think what swayed his decision then was that he still considered Euphie family and cared for her. That swayed his decision and let him accept a partial victory instead of a complete one.

If you think about it, accepting the autonomous region thing doesn't really put him and Nunnally out of danger since if Charles discovers them then its back to square one for him.

CorvoSol

Even as a joke this doesn't work.

It does if you squint?

Actually I don't even remember if Kenneth Branaugh ever played Hamlet. I do remember that Mel Gibson did, and I found that rendition kinda awkward because we watched it in High School and made awkward jokes about his awkward tension with his mother the whole time.

kayos90

While Lelouche's main objective was always
a better world for Nunnally. I think what swayed his decision then was that he still considered Euphie family and cared for her. That swayed his decision and let him accept a partial victory instead of a complete one.

If you think about it, accepting the autonomous region thing doesn't really put him and Nunnally out of danger since if Charles discovers them then its back to square one for him.

Hence why I said separation of the goals. He'd only be accomplishing one of his goals. Still, in the end a total victory is sort of what he needs in order to maintain his desired results. As for Charles discovering them, you mean V2, right? lol.

He was rapidly approaching it. He definitely was by the end of 4 or whichever episode has the stupid loli.

Sachi = Episode 4
Silica = Episode 5

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It does if you squint?

Actually I don't even remember if Kenneth Branaugh ever played Hamlet. I do remember that Mel Gibson did, and I found that rendition kinda awkward because we watched it in High School and made awkward jokes about his awkward tension with his mother the whole time.
No, he did. But as a serious comment it betrays a misunderstanding of what it means to be a Mary Sue as being both lead actor and director in the same film isn't enough. As a joke it's not really funny because Mary Sues are annoying not suave.

Dresden

But he wouldn't have ever gotten it by just going with whatever crazy ideals he had. It took Lelouch and the entirety of the events fo Season 1 to accomplish that.

So really, its success or failure has nothing to do with him.

That's silly, considering that the 'events of Season 1' wouldn't happen without Suzaku, either.

And tbh, success or failure has no bearing on how his character should be judged. Lelouch is defined by the consequences of his actions. Suzaku is defined by that of his ideals.

The JP stuff is just a platform for his revenge, man.

Articalys

This.

Hadn't realised it replaced the link with the title when I quoted HA HA.
Huh, it doesn't seem to affect the quoted text if I try it myself. Well, whatever; thanks for the link to the script though. Seems handy.

edit: Oh, I see, if you use that script along with the Quick Quote script (which I assume you also have installed) then it does. Neat.

CorvoSol

No, he did. But as a serious comment it betrays a misunderstanding of what it means to be a Mary Sue as being both lead actor and director in the same film isn't enough. As a joke it's not really funny because Mary Sues are annoying not suave.

Actually my thinking was that it was one of the few plays Kenneth Branagh had not actually done. Like seriously, when talking about film adaptations of Shakespeare all I remember is that Kenneth Branagh did a bunch, Mel Gibson did one, and that in one Romeo and Juliet you get to see Juliet naked for a couple seconds which was a big deal when we were in Junior High.

I don't even think I've ever seen Kenneth Branagh in a play, just that he did a bunch.

kayos90

And tbh, success or failure has no bearing on how his character should be judged. Lelouch is defined by the consequences of his actions. Suzaku is defined by that of his ideals.

I find this really ironic honestly. One of the conflicts that the show brings up is that
Lelouch only cares about the results and the means don't matter. Suzaku cares more about the means than the results. Hilariously enough, Suzaku's results are what makes him an idiot, and Lelouch's means are what makes him an asshat.

CorvoSol

Seriously. What the fuck did Domon learn under Master Asia for 10 years?

How to do that really amazing dance move Master Asia uses to beat him up all the time. How to spin and make your face appear on the tornado. How to be freaking awesome.

Master Asia did not however, impart the sacred art of making ribbon dancing look manly.

Jarmel

Banned
He clearly best fighter on that group.

I can understand getting his ass handed to him by pretty much a good chunk of people. What I don't understand is the fact that he hasn't developed any sense of tactics, common sense, or patience. Master Asia is all about dat tactics and Domon didn't learn any of that from him apparently.

Also if Bruder is Domon's brother then there better be an amazing reason why he's so much better than Domon.

sonicmj1

Actually my thinking was that it was one of the few plays Kenneth Branagh had not actually done. Like seriously, when talking about film adaptations of Shakespeare all I remember is that Kenneth Branagh did a bunch, Mel Gibson did one, and that in one Romeo and Juliet you get to see Juliet naked for a couple seconds which was a big deal when we were in Junior High.

I don't even think I've ever seen Kenneth Branagh in a play, just that he did a bunch.

Branagh's Hamlet is like 4 hours long.

CorvoSol

I can understand getting his ass handed to him by pretty much a good chunk of people. What I don't understand is the fact that he hasn't developed any sense of tactics, common sense, or patience. Master Asia is all about dat tactics and Domon didn't learn any of that from him apparently.

Domon's patience is also kind of out of whack because of the big ol' chip on his shoulder from his brother more or less letting his mother die.

Jarmel

Banned
Domon's patience is also kind of out of whack because of the big ol' chip on his shoulder from his brother more or less letting his mother die.

I understand that, but he acts like an idiot half the time rushing into things that he clearly knows he can't win. There is absolutely no sense of forethought on his part. I can again understand being aggresive, but Domon is either suicidal or stupid. He doesn't act like he has had any training other than fighting at all.

Articalys

duckroll posted this over in gaming side and a few of you have commented on it in that thread, but seeing as not everyone goes over there I figured it was worth crossposting here too.

Madhouse is getting some more work in by providing the opening movie and cutscenes for New Etrian Odyssey on 3DS.

fertygo

Well, he's a fighter also he in not stable emotion till halfway of the series, that's kinda the point about he's not a patience guy and stuff so he can't control the supah mode.

And he clearly not a smart dude anyway, his father and bro are grade S Professor and building mech, he goes to kung-fu trainer lol.

CorvoSol

I understand that, but he acts like an idiot half the time rushing into things that he clearly knows he can't win. There is absolutely no sense of forethought on his part. I can again understand being aggresive, but Domon is either suicidal or stupid. He doesn't act like he has had any training other than fighting at all.

I think he was trained, given that Master Asia berates him for doing this stuff all the time later on. Domon's just very, very rash, and he gets called out on it.

cajunator

Banned
I'm scared, did I just become SDBurton?

Dont be scared.
We cannot all be so pure.

Blood-C 11

THIS IS THE STUPIDEST FUCKING THING I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!

For the love of all that is holy in the world, THIS WAS THE FUCKING TRUMAN SHOW WITH BLOOD AND GORE! WHAT THE EVERLOVING FUCK?!

And everybody was a fucking actor! Hell, the whole fucking town was a set. DID YOU FUCKING READ THAT?! THEY CREATED A WHOLE FUCKING TOWN AS THE SET TO THIS EXPERIMENT! Oh, and Saya's some inhuman creature...thing, being researched by the government. And the Elder Bairns are real and killed everybody else in the town. Or they never existed. Whatever, does it even matter at this point?

And Cafe dude was the head of the whole thing. I got bad vibes from him. But this is too much. Oh, and did I mention that Saya would DRINK THE FUCKING BLOOD OF THE ELDER BAIRNS SHE KILLED WHILE YOU WEREN'T LOOKING?! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

I'm not mad. I'm really not mad. Even if I were mad I would lie and say I was not mad because if I was mad then that would give some sick enjoyment out of you people who got the idea to say I should watch this. But I'm not mad. So it doesn't matter.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

See? Look how not mad I am!

oh yes.
yes indeed!
delicious anger and confusion!

Grabbed the Eva 3.33 BD from Animate today, and figured I'd share some pics with you all. <3

As soon as I walked into Tsutaya (it's where I originally preordered my copy), the first thing to greet me was a tiny wall of Eva, with Naruto sandwiched in-between. Haha.

My copy from Animate actually came with a free mug, and a rather nice planner.

The production book it came with is nice and weighty too, with lots of production art, storyboards etc. The OST that comes with the set also has Sakura Nagashi on it, which is a nice bonus.

As much as I hate how expensive BDs are in Japan, I at least feel like I've bought something of value whenever I get one thanks to the packaging and content.

Articalys

Why the hell did they throw five copies of Road to Ninja on an otherwise entirely Evangelion display? I mean, I know they're both new releases today, but come on, that's just stupid... was there nowhere else in the store to promote Naruto or something?
Also, is that a single copy each of 1.11 and 2.22 in the lower-right corner?

kayos90

Grabbed the Eva 3.33 BD from Animate today, and figured I'd share some pics with you all. <3

As soon as I walked into Tsutaya (it's where I originally preordered my copy), the first thing to greet me was a tiny wall of Eva, with Naruto sandwiched in-between. Haha.

My copy from Animate actually came with a free mug, and a rather nice planner.

The production book it came with is nice and weighty too, with lots of production art, storyboards etc. The OST that comes with the set also has Sakura Nagashi on it, which is a nice bonus.

As much as I hate how expensive BDs are in Japan, I at least feel like I've bought something of value whenever I get one thanks to the packaging and content.

Looks goooood. Unlike the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom