• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Nafe knows even my mother's birthday.
1njtskn9uxwd.png

Well, what is her birthday? So I may know.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm always joking but I stand by what I say.

Lelouch has all one of flaw, which is being kind of a megalomaniac. But then again, what Gary Stu doesn't overestimate himself in all situations?
Is Lelouche Wesley Crusher? No. He's not. Nothing you say can make it otherwise.

Instro

Yuyushiki 3

This show has absolutely no business being as goddamn well-animated as it is. For real. It's really just so nice to look at.

Other than that...I generally have no idea what the hell is going on. I think duckroll's right. It's the story of a girl and her two brain-dead lesbian friends. That said, this episode was a big improvement from the first two. So there's that.

YuruYuri but with less girls and more non sequitur humor.

Jarmel

Banned
Ok is anyone, who has seen G Gundam, willing to defend the show up to this point(the Tokyo arc)? So far I have a pretty negative impression of the show.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Luke is actually really flawed, in that he thinks with his dick and his heart, instead of his mind.

And he loses a hand for it.

Also he had to get bailed out at the end by his dad.
Then you'll be forever incapable of discussing what a Mary Sue/Gary Stu is.

Indeed, I have yet to learn from the mountain.

sonicmj1

Suzaku wasn't a Mary Sue - he's also the best (and most well-written, although that doesn't mean much in Geass) character in the series. Not surprised that so many anime fans hate him.

For some reason, people can't accept a character being hypocritical, even if it makes sense for a person to act that way sometimes.

zeroshiki

Okay, 1: Fuck off with the "Did you even watch the episode?" Because obviously I did or we wouldn't be talking about it.

2: Fuck off with the don't watch the show jazz. I hate it when I say one thing about a show and its fans rush to tell me to jump ship because how dare I or whatever. This happened when I dared to say Shinji was a wet-blanket, and here it is again. You don't see me telling fertygo not to watch Martian Successor Nadesico when he knocks it. It'd be different if I was 15 episodes into a 25 and still bitching it up, but this was the pilot, cut me some fucking slack.

3: I have watched ONE EPISODE. ONE. And then I posted my reaction. Of that episode. Not a judgment of the entire show, a reaction to a pilot episode. Of course I don't know the entire point of the plot so quit expecting me to know the entire point of the plot when I have watched only one episode. Defensive much?

I don't see why you need to bring profanity into what is supposedly a civil discussion but fuck you too.

Lelouch didn't overpower Suzaku. The only reason he didn't get his ass kicked is because it was CLEARLY SHOWN that they somehow know each other. The girl jumping in to protect him is CLEARLY something that will be explained. Or do you think people will just randomly try to get shot in this show?

I think the problem is with you for calling a character of a show a Marty Sue after all of 1 episode. You weren't aiming for a reaction with that? If you don't want to generate discussion, start a blog.

I'm sorry I bothered with trying to have a discussion with you if that's the reaction you're gonna give to people.

Jarmel

Banned
Corvo, just watch more of the show. It's hard to discuss it with someone who has seen only one episode. Most people here have the entire show and all the twists in their minds when they discuss it.

zeroshiki

Nah, he's just a dude confronted with two awful choices with no way out.

All that goes out the window in R2 but that's true for every character, so eh.

Suzaku actually has the typical anime hero mentality of I'm faced with two impossible choices but I'll choose none of them and it will magically work out.

Its just that in Geass, that whole thing doesn't really work and is exposed as a lie and Suzaku just comes off looking like an idiot.

CorvoSol

Ok is anyone, who has seen G Gundam, willing to defend the show up to this point(the Tokyo arc)? So far I have a pretty negative impression of the show.

I really liked it. The first arc, prior to Tokyo, was kinda meh, but Tokyo is when it started to pick up for me. Guyana is a dip and then it gets awesome. The show also does this stupid thing where it bumrushes you through four episodes of Domon's friends in similar situations in a row, multiple times, but on the whole I enjoyed it.

That's pretty much what you'd expect from Blitz chess. If the players don't get much time per move, the game's naturally going to end quickly.

I don't recall his opponent being under similar time limitations, though.

Haly

Well, if you're into that reading books thing then Shug in The Color Purple is another poster child mary sue.

Woah that is a really old book. I kind of have trouble stomaching old prose but I'll keep it in mind.
Suzaku actually has the typical anime hero mentality of I'm faced with two impossible choices but I'll choose none of them and it will magically work out.

Its just that in Geass, that whole thing doesn't really work and is exposed as a lie and Suzaku just comes off looking like an idiot.

That's why he's not a Sue, because his innate Sueness failed him.

Dresden

For some reason, people can't accept a character being hypocritical, even if it makes sense for a person to act that way sometimes.

It's sad. He's either hated or laughed at as a meme.

But he did choose a path, it's why he's so hated.

Jarmel

Banned

Pretty much this. He doesn't really think some things through and he really comes out looking like an idiot.

I really liked it. The first arc, prior to Tokyo, was kinda meh, but Tokyo is when it started to pick up for me. Guyana is a dip and then it gets awesome. The show also does this stupid thing where it bumrushes you through four episodes of Domon's friends in similar situations in a row, multiple times, but on the whole I enjoyed it.

The problem with the Tokyo arc is that I don't know if I'm supposed to be taking the event seriously. The entire thing feels like a hallucination but I'm not sure if that's supposed to be the case.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Code Geass 1

So I'm trying for the second time to get into this show, since I guess we're doing this as a group watch or whatever. Anyway, we'll see how it goes. OP is cool, the idea that America would utterly crush Japan is okay, but that the US would ever call itself Britannia is hilolious.

Lelouch looks like goddamn Slenderman. Except with a worse face. Who thought those proportions were okay? Americans permitting a Prince or a King to exist is also hilolious. And the idea that Britain would defeat America is also preposterous, so let's please not suggest that that's what happened, either.

I know, I know, suspend my disbelief.

DAT PIZZA HUT PRODUCT PLACEMENT.

OH GREAT A FEY SCIENTIST. WHERE HAVE I SEEN THAT BEFORE?

Why does he keep saying "obliterate"? I mean, I don't get that. Why not anything other than that? Sounds so awkward. Still, that's nitpicking, I guess.

Okay, so, episode is over, and fierce nationalism that makes me uncomfortable since I'm a member of the group portrayed as the bad guys aside, I'd say about half this episode was fine. Story of rebels fighting an empire, and so on.

But wow do I hope Lelouch improves and fast. He's a terrible Mary Sue and an all around detriment to this show. Considering he just gained the literal power to make people do what he wants, I somehow doubt that this is going to be the case.

I understand this is the favorite show of some here, and so I hope I come to like it, cuz I'd hate to break more hearts the way I did with Gundam Shit 00.

Oh fuck. It begins.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That's why he's not a Sue, because his innate Sueness failed him.
Half of what makes a Mary Sue is the unequivocal adoration from the rest of the cast(or just a free pass in general), because why would the author's proxy be anything BUT loved?

Suzaku probably has more in common with Nanami than a Mary Sue.

kayos90

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was somewhat or very displeased with 3.33. Feels good not to be alone for once. T_T

EDIT: Also, Suzaku is a real shitty character. Sorry Kagari. I don't like him much. If I had to choose between Suzaku and Lelouch, I'd choose Lelouch a thousand times. At least the latter is more interesting despite being insane.

CorvoSol

I don't see why you need to bring profanity into what is supposedly a civil discussion but fuck you too.

Lelouch didn't overpower Suzaku. The only reason he didn't get his ass kicked is because it was CLEARLY SHOWN that they somehow know each other. The girl jumping in to protect him is CLEARLY something that will be explained. Or do you think people will just randomly try to get shot in this show?

I think the problem is with you for calling a character of a show a Marty Sue after all of 1 episode. You weren't aiming for a reaction with that? If you don't want to generate discussion, start a blog.

I'm sorry I bothered with trying to have a discussion with you if that's the reaction you're gonna give to people.

I don't call it a discussion when you do things like ask pointless rhetorical questions like "did you watch the episode"? You cannot tell me you meant for this to be a civil discussion when you do stuff like that. You want civility, you lead off with it. I'd love discussion, if I hadn't been open to it, I wouldn't have asked questions and you know, been in the middle of discussing it with people when you got defensive and started doing childish things like asking if I'd watched an episode I had been in the middle of discussing because I, you know, watched.

If you don't like seeing people say negative things about a show you like, read only your own posts from here on out.

Lelouch threw the guy off him BEFORE they recognized each other, so I don't see what's so clear about what you're saying.

Haly

Half of what makes a Mary Sue is the unequivocal adoration from the rest of the cast(or just a free pass in general), because why would the author's proxy be anything BUT loved?

Suzaku probably has more in common with Nanami than a Mary Sue.

Right, which is why I wouldn't put forth the argument that he was a Sue.

zeroshiki

It's sad. He's either hated or laughed at as a meme.

But he did choose a path, it's why he's so hated.

Assuming we take your advice and skip R2, Suzaku's motivations by the end of season 1 is basically
assimilation
. That goes counter with wanting to "protect" his people since they show that the Japanese are mistreated..

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I had one of my English-savvy girls read an article I wrote about SAO and why it sucked balls, and despite agreeing with everything I said, she was still all "But the female characters are so cute! And Kirito is so cool!"

I can't win.
You wrote an article? Even I didn't take it that far.

I sometimes forget there are guy idols in iDOLM@STER.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't call it a discussion when you do things like ask pointless rhetorical questions like "did you watch the episode"? You cannot tell me you meant for this to be a civil discussion when you do stuff like that. You want civility, you lead off with it. I'd love discussion, if I hadn't been open to it, I wouldn't have asked questions and you know, been in the middle of discussing it with people when you got defensive and started doing childish things like asking if I'd watched an episode I had been in the middle of discussing because I, you know, watched.

If you don't like seeing people say negative things about a show you like, read only your own posts from here on out.
Don't get so shocked and enraged when you make a post that could easily be you trolling and it gets a cold reaction.

kayos90

Assuming we take your advice and skip R2, Suzaku's motivations by the end of season 1 is basically
assimilation
. That goes counter with wanting to "protect" his people since they show that the Japanese are mistreated..

You can easily make a deconstructive argument about Suzaku's character. Every facet of Suzaku is contradictory in some shape or form. At least Lelouch has some semblance of coherence and meaning rather than contrived paradox bullshit.

Suzaku is just a gullible idiot incapable of realizing that fact.

I wouldn't call him gullible. More like incredibly naive and foolish.

CorvoSol

If his opponent had unlimited time to move and lost in 8:30, then he's an incredibly shitty chess player, because he should be thinking about his moves for much longer than that.

Fair enough, but I don't think you can disagree that the scene was meant to boast of Lelouch's skill at chess. Even his sidekick comments on it after they leave.

Oh fuck. It begins.

It's not Gundam, so if I really do wind up disliking it, I'll likely stop somewhere halfway through, like I did with Rah Xephon.

Don't get so shocked and enraged when you make a post that could easily be you trolling and it gets a cold reaction.

The problem with the internet is that it's a lot harder to accurately express and gauge how people feel, though. I'm neither shocked, since this is hardly the first time that my making a negative comment about a show in the first few episodes has earned this kind of reaction, nor enraged, because zeroshiki is a nice guy and isn't out for my blood or anything.

I'd say I'm annoyed at best.

I'll cede a point in zeroshiki's favor and agree with you on one thing, though, Hito: I probably should have been more hesitant to use the term "Mary Sue" after one episode. There was undoubtedly a better way of expressing my initial dislike of the protagonist that would have been clearer and less likely to upset others.

Dresden

assimilation

It's not complicated, he had to choose between
resistance or assimilation and he chose the latter.

And you know what? If it wasn't for Lelouch's magic fuckup/Euphienator he probably succeeds.

cajunator

Banned
Somebody convince me that I don't want to buy Girls und Panzer BDs.

QUICK. PLEASE. ANIMEGAF YOU'RE MY ONLY HOPE.

the simplest solution is to buy them.

Alright. Feels like it's time to bring it on home. Final 3 episodes of Blood-C. Here I go.

I cant wait to see what you think of it :D

something I noticed about aiura. The end end is super cute. (sorry cajun)

iS6Mzno2LQMiy.gif

its alright.
I wont die.
I will watch this though.

sonicmj1

assimilation

Well, he's placed himself in a paradox. Peacefully pushing for rights for his people is the only way he can attempt to achieve his aims without openly violating his ideals.

kayos90

It's not complicated, he had to choose between
resistance or assimilation and he chose the latter.

And you know what? If it wasn't for Lelouch's magic fuckup/Euphienator he probably succeeds.

You mean
if Lelouch didn't fuck up, Lelouch would've succeeded. LOL

zeroshiki

Lelouch threw the guy off him BEFORE they recognized each other, so I don't see what's so clear about what you're saying.

Leading off with calling out fans of Geass and being proud that you somehow shit on Gundam 00 isn't asking for discussion either.

I'm not really looking to start a fight and/or continue with one. Saying did you watch it is a common rhetorical device and if you felt offended by that then I'm sorry for that but you really need some thicker skin.

Throwing a guy off of you in anime doesn't count as overpowering anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom