• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

True enough. Also, I feel like at some point in 3.0, Kaworu should've said this:

"I don't know everything, I only know what I know."

Would've been GLORIOUS.

It's also interesting that you write a fairly lengthy breakdown of the movie but fail to mention the fact that there's practically no charactisation worth speaking of for the duration. Everyone is a either a rough cliche of themselves (Asuka, Rei, Shinji, Mari doesn't count because she's never been anything other than a smug/lewd/etc) or they don't have any kind of character (Misato, Ritsuko, everyone on the ship, everyone left at Nerv). Even Kaworu is basically an empty vessel. It's surprisng how devoid the film is of actual characters and characterisation, bar some scenes with Kaworu have a little bit of palatable, human emotion.

Theonik

I choked up at the scene
where Mishio let Yumina do her hair
and that dolphin line is golden. Definitely one of my favorite episodes.
Yeah that was sad. And that line was indeed great. I forgot to screencap the
faceplant on storefront scene too.
that was hilarious.

Wow didn't know that!

Other examples:

Captain Tsubasa Spanish OP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4E_8WRcl7c

Cat's Eye Italian OP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4qoj_ZYtTQ
vs
Sandy Jonquille (Hello! SandyBell) French OP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWaFWoh1Ai4
vs
Sandy Jonquille (Hello! SandyBell) 1st ITA OP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdk2lac0Oco

Maple Town ITA OP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaSjQpRqo9E
vs
Flo & Les Robinson Suisses FRA OP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoypHvGG6a8

Sometimes the opposite was true (French song used for the Italian dub)
Gigi (1st) FRA OP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Py_wcoEtE
vs
Il magico mondo di Gigì (Minky Momo) 1st ITA OP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdJd8rjrayI

Sometimes they used the same song for the same series in different countries - I really don't know why the switched them for some series...

Orange Road ITA OP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y877iq9Sbc
vs
Max et Compagnie FRA OP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BT6y0139ag

I have a backlog that is so ridiculously lengthy, but Im in the mood to watch Sora no woto again. I blame this somehow on animeGaf. Yeah its yall fault.

I watched it after my questionable marathon of SAO and felt much better after doing so. Sora no Woto is just so fucking pleasant to watch and it's one of my very favorite shows forever.

This song is pure sugar filled cake. Delicious cake.

Don't you mean sunshine pie?

Dragonball GT monkey vs dragon

He has reasons to be mad...

hGo3us2.jpg
UB3ySjc.jpg

Vegeta's GT haircut is meh, his SS4 hair however is great

cajunator

Banned
I watched it after my questionable marathon of SAO and felt much better after doing so. Sora no Woto is just so fucking pleasant to watch and it's one of my very favorite shows forever.

Don't you mean sunshine pie?

Sora no woto is a pretty good cure for SAOisfuckinghorribleitis.

sunshine pie sounds pretty amazing actually..

Mr.Jeff

I have a backlog that is so ridiculously lengthy, but Im in the mood to watch Sora no woto again. I blame this somehow on animeGaf. Yeah its yall fault.
I'll make you a deal: I'll finally watch Kiddy Grade if you watch the unadulterated smack of Sketchbook with KanaHana.

I mean, I've watched Yami, Kiddy Grade must be a step up from that at least?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It's also interesting that you write a fairly lengthy breakdown of the movie but fail to mention the fact that there's practically no charactisation worth speaking of for the duration. Everyone is a either a rough cliche of themselves (Asuka, Rei, Shinji, Mari doesn't count because she's never been anything other than a smug/lewd/etc) or they don't have any kind of character (Misato, Ritsuko, everyone on the ship, everyone left at Nerv). Even Kaworu is basically an empty vessel. It's surprisng how devoid the film is of actual characters and characterisation, bar some scenes with Kaworu have a little bit of palatable, human emotion.

Yup. This. So much. For the most part the film was deadset on trying to be a
massive infodump and plotpoint heavy narrative and sacrifices the characters entirely. Hell, even in the beginning the movie just starts off without any regards to easing the audience in. Things just happened and there's really no context for it. Why has 14 years passe? Why is Shinji in space. Things just happen for the sake of delivering a narrative driven by plotpoints. The characters might as well be nonexistent. They're just cogs in making sure the machination called "plot" is driven forward. It's extremely stifling. Add to the fact that these characters also don't have any regard for what they were previously, this movie screams a jumbled mess.

cajunator

Banned
I'll make you a deal: I'll finally watch Kiddy Grade if you watch the unadulterated smack of Sketchbook with KanaHana.

I mean, I've watched Yami, Kiddy Grade must be a step up from that at least?

I kind of want to see sketchbook. Its one of those shows I keep forgetting about though.
I liked stuffl ike comic Party, dojin work, Cosplay Complex so I will probably enjoy it.

I recommend Kiddy Grade a lot because it has an interesting story with some fun twists and great characters and it is super colorful and just a lot of fun to watch. You could do MUCH worse. I watched it around the time I watched Vandread and Nadesico and Stellvia. It was a space phase, and it was so great.

Sora no Woto 06

I may have hidden spoilers in those links.
This episode man. THIS EPISODE.
We finally see where they get all their Moe money from, if you think about it it's not that surprising in hindsight, though this episode does shed more light on the kind of government this world is under.Dat Mauser C96, looks like the select fire model. They seem to have animated the action cycle pretty well too. Also dat MG42 and MP40 and those Walther p38s, so basically they seem to be equipped with mostly German made equipment from the 30s-40s, though admittedly this is very odd for a post apocalyptic world but I'll give it a pass because the C96 gives me multiple boners.
This scene man. That Noel. Hnnngh. So good. PRIORITIES
More post apocalypse hints. Radiation poisoning?
So much :firehawk in this show.

I figured it wasn't exactly required viewing but thanks I'll watch it then! Yeah google is not telling me either :/ Second version seems 1 minute longer though.

Shit gets real after episode 6.

Articalys

Interesting... according to French licensor Wakanim, apparently the reason that Kyoji Asano went out trying to recruit more animators for Attack on Titan is because the show actually got an increase in budget.

Mr.Jeff

I kind of want to see sketchbook. Its one of those shows I keep forgetting about though.
I liked stuffl ike comic Party, dojin work, Cosplay Complex so I will probably enjoy it.
Hmm, if anything it's more like Aria-lite rather than something more heavily joke orientated like Doujin Work. It does have a fair dose of humour through it though. It's just basically a really chill show to watch which might be ideal for you considering you seem stressed at the moment.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Hah, I see it now that you mention it. It just never crossed my mind because the movie was so busy doing other things, so I was focused on what was in the movie, and not thinking of what was missing from it. I think this can be attributed to the timeskip, since they had to spend an inordinate amount of time reintroducing everyone and then filling in the gaps in our knowledge. Not to mention completely robbing all the momentum from the characters' development.

I don't understand why they went in this direction at all.

kayos90

Hah, I see it now that you mention it. It just never crossed my mind because the movie was so busy doing other things, so I was focused on what was in the movie, and not thinking of what was missing from it. I think this can be attributed to the timeskip, since they had to spend an inordinate amount of time reintroducing everyone and then filling in the gaps in our knowledge. Not to mention completely robbing all the momentum from the characters' development.

I think they wanted to
skip the time
in order to justify the
Eva 11's construction.
That and some other stuff.

Jex

The movie is a distracting series of battles and increasingly crazy plot twists which is probably why it didn't cross your mind straight away. As soon as you step from all the "Whaaat?" moments you find that there isn't much going in the way of characterisation, as well as actual plot movement. By the conclusion of the movie all you've really learnt is what happened between the 2nd and 3rd movies, oh, and that 4th impact nearly happened, but then it didn't. Not that I care because near-Third Impact probably killed a ton of people and there's probably not that many people left to kill. Or did Third Impact kill that many people? I don't know. It's dumb.

I think this is a real mistake when the original stories greatest asset was it's characters.

Remember to tag your posts to make it clear that it's Eva spoilers you're discussing!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Titan MAD rankings: serious business.

Shingeki no Kyojin OP NND Top 30 MAD

The winner is
________Attack on Miffy____________
You can't formulate something like this, especially when said formula doesn't even take into account my opinion. Like others have said, the best of the Bollywood being at number 15 shows how flawed it is. That leg sweep section is perfection.

And there are real rubbish ones in there.

Haly

Not that I care because near-Third Impact probably killed a ton of people and there's probably not that many people left to kill. Or did Third Impact kill that many people? I don't know. It's dumb.

Remember to tag your posts to make it clear that it's Eva spoilers you're discussing!

I'm wondering how bad the Third Impact really was. I mean, everyone in NERV survived although the city went poof. I'm sure the rest of the world is fine as well.

Unless it magically spare Misato and co but devastated the rest of the world.

kayos90

I'm wondering how bad the Third Impact really was. I mean, everyone in NERV survived although the city went poof. I'm sure the rest of the world is fine as well.

That's another thing. The scope of the narrative was so small that I had a hard time understanding what happened to the rest of the world. Is it just Japan? By the look of things, not really? Why is it that certain people live and others die? There is literally no explanation for almost anything. The author just writes it. Shoves it down our throats. And expects us to accept it without any qualms. I'm fine with things being left out, ambiguity, etc in narratives. It's inevtiable but most of the time it's kept to a minimum. Here, it's not.

kayos90

Anno should have just made the entire fucking movie CGI. Jesus Christ.

Why? I'm genuinely curious? I think the movie would've been worse. I already hated all of the backgrounds and shit in this movie. Making it CG would've probably made it worse.

When people have discussions about best OPs/EDs I'm never sure if they're judging from a purely musical standpoint or an overall audiovisual standpoint. What my favorites are differ depending on the criteria.

I think I value more on the song/lines and less a bit on the visuals. Some of my favorite OP's and EDs are from some pretty atrocious anime (Hagure Yuusha no Estetica for example., poor Faylan having to sing for that anime).

For ED it depends, I guess an ED could be good but if it is used incorrectly (super happy ED playing when its a sad episode...) well then is it really a good ED?

Jarmel

Banned
Why? I'm genuinely curious? I think the movie would've been worse. I already hated all of the backgrounds and shit in this movie. Making it CG would've probably made it worse.

Half the shit is already CGI, might as well go all the way at this damn point.

cajunator

Banned
Hmm, if anything it's more like Aria-lite rather than something more heavily joke orientated like Doujin Work. It does have a fair dose of humour through it though. It's just basically a really chill show to watch which might be ideal for you considering you seem stressed at the moment.

sounds like what I need along with Place to Place.

I feel like this plot point had a negative affect on the film.
Not only does it leave the characters in these big, empty spaces all the time, but it also makes the sense of scale confusing. The gravity of the situation is lessened by the lack of life onscreen. That's a sacrifice I might be wiling to concede in order to strip down and focus on developing the film's ensemble cast, except that the film doesn't do this right by any standard. It's as if all of the characters regress into their most basic personality tropes.

Haly

One element of geography that confused me so much. When Kaworu takes Shinji to look at the ruins of the GeoFront, they descend some precarious step. But wait, isn't NERV HQ underneath the GeoFront?

What the fuck is going on here maaaaan.

kayos90

One element of geography that confused me so much. When Kaworu takes Shinji to look at the ruins of the GeoFront, they descend some precarious step. But wait, isn't NERV HQ underneath the GeoFront?

Pretty sure Anno doesn't even know at this point. LOL.

Articalys

...I don't want to spoil the mood, and I know you're free to discuss whatever here as long as it's properly marked, but if whatever you're posting necessitates entire walls of black bars, maybe you can take the discussion over to the official Eva Q spoiler thread? Unless you're already cross-posting there as well, of course...

kayos90

...I don't want to spoil the mood, and I know you're free to discuss whatever here as long as it's properly marked, but if whatever you're posting necessitates entire walls of black bars, maybe you can take the discussion over to the official Eva Q spoiler thread? Unless you're already cross-posting there as well, of course...

Well, the reason I didn't post there originally was because I didn't want to be judged by stranger eva fanatics. I feel much more comfortable voicing my thoughts and opinions here.

Maybe the world is upside down now.

7Th

I actually found the final 3 minutes of the movie not completely terrible. The only bit of actual characterization in the entire movie;
Asuka's reaction to Shinji at the end was perfectly believable and much more human than anything related to the obnoxious and poorly executed Kaworu/Shinji fluff.

Haly

Asuka's reaction to Shinji at the end was perfectly believable and much more human than anything related to the obnoxious and poorly executed Kaworu/Shinji fluff.

Fuck you!
Maybe the world is upside down now.

So the scene at the start... took place "inside" earth?

Fuck, I'm getting kayos here.

Haly

It's clearly what everyone watching the movie would have done if they were stuck with Shinji in that situation!

Yes but that was directed more at your "Kaworu/Shinji fluff" comment.

Dragonball GT

The final battle continues. Omega Shenron threw his dark energy ball at Goku, the ball sinks him under the ground and explode, everyone thinks Goku is dead. The negative energy will destroy the earth(2nd time its happening in GT). Vegeta tells everyone to take Bulmas spaceship and leave earth, he himself is gonna fight Shenron. Too exhausted and weak, he's not able to transform into SS4, he fights Shenron in his SS2 form but is no match and goes down very fast. Rather than fleeing, Gohan, Goten and Trunks join the fight.

Meanwhile, to everyone's surprise Goku rises with a spirit bomb, powered with the energy of all earthlings, the bomb becomes even stronger when all allied life forms in the universe donate some energy.

I don't understand why Omega Shenron didn't throw dark balls at Goku and beat the shit out of him when the Spirit bomb was charging, he was defenseless.

7Th

Yes but that was directed more at your "Kaworu/Shinji fluff" comment.

Well,
it honestly didn't amount to much and Rebuild as a whole could have worked perfectly without it! Even the 13 minutes of screentime he got in the TV show felt more worthwhile in terms of how it affected Shinji's character.

OceanBlue

Interesting... according to French licensor Wakanim, apparently the reason that Kyoji Asano went out trying to recruit more animators for Attack on Titan is because the show actually got an increase in budget.

That's pretty cool. Hopefully, the show gets enough funding that we get really impressive scenes from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom