• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

From the little I've seen, that dub is pretty great and JYB nails Leloich.

OH SNAP THAT'S IT. Lelouch is Firion! I know, I know, odd place to choose as my first pick for JYB but that's what sticks.

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu!! 1

So the principal and VP of Jindai High remind me a LOT of the principal and VP of Holy Oak or whatever from GTO. So much so that the two schools could be one and the same, were it not for the fact that I think Chidori goes to public school and Onizuka taught at a private school. Either way, this is the one where Sousuke blows up his locker and Student Body President Hayashimizu thinks that's perfectly okay.

I never tire of the look of joy on Sousuke's face as ASB Pres. Hayashimizu translates into thug for him. It's so hilariously stupid. This time around it occurred to me that while Sousuke is no stranger to torture and interrogation, and Hayashimizu is just off his rocker with power, Ren doesn't blink at it because she, too, is no stranger to torture and interrogation, being a Yakuza princess and all.

Sousuke's plan is also super freaking awesome.

cajunator

Banned
OH SNAP THAT'S IT. Lelouch is Firion! I know, I know, odd place to choose as my first pick for JYB but that's what sticks.

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu!! 1

So the principal and VP of Jindai High remind me a LOT of the principal and VP of Holy Oak or whatever from GTO. So much so that the two schools could be one and the same, were it not for the fact that I think Chidori goes to public school and Onizuka taught at a private school. Either way, this is the one where Sousuke blows up his locker and Student Body President Hayashimizu thinks that's perfectly okay.

I never tire of the look of joy on Sousuke's face as ASB Pres. Hayashimizu translates into thug for him. It's so hilariously stupid. This time around it occurred to me that while Sousuke is no stranger to torture and interrogation, and Hayashimizu is just off his rocker with power, Ren doesn't blink at it because she, too, is no stranger to torture and interrogation, being a Yakuza princess and all.

Sousuke's plan is also super freaking awesome.

Is this your first time watching Fumoffu?
Oh man you are in for a treat.

You should also watch Kiddy Grade.

Dragonball GT, almost done

Omega Shenron still kicking ass, Nova Shenron sacrificed himself for nothing, kinda stupid how that happened though, Omega Shenron can just swap from bodies with any other dragon

"this one is from my grandfather, I'd like to keep it"
Hd6nZX8.jpg

WTF he eats the dragonball!

CorvoSol

Is this your first time watching Fumoffu?
Oh man you are in for a treat.

You should also watch Kiddy Grade.

It's not my first time, no. This is actually more like my 4th time. And if I finally break down and watch Kiddy Grade will you give me a dollar?

GT looks like a fanfiction.

I'll never get over the fact that going to a certain level of Super Saiyan completely changes your hair back to black and makes you grow red body hair and another tail. That was so bogglingly random for me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This isn't worth my time so I won't try to be articulate like our more discerning writers. It will be more of a stream-of-consciousness type deal.

First thing I need to do is to make sure I understand what's going on. 3.0 takes plays 14 years after the events of 2.0. Our core group of pilots and commanders have splintered off from NERV, which now just consists of Gendo, the old guy, and Rei clones. The splinter group, calling themselves Wille, is a dedicated anti-Nerv organization. They salvage Shinji from the rackage wreckage of EVA-01, but just dump him to the side without explaining anything to him.

Fair, that's what I would do too. All he does is emo over it.

Stuff happens with the angel from the opening and afterwards Rei busts Shinji out of their airship. Shinji ends up in the ruins of Nerv HQ and is tossed aside like yesterday's trash, again. He tries to get into Rei's pants but is too slow to realize that this Rei is not his Rei and gets emo over it. Typical Shinji.

Anyway, now we come to the best part of the story.

Shinji is introduced to Kaworu Nagisa and strikes up a friendship with him. Gay overtones abound. I really like this segment, it's the highlight of the show. Just like in the series, it is the only time we see Shinji for more than just an emo twit. He's a lonely boy who needs a hug, and Kaworu is there to give it. Later, Kaworu remarks "I was born to meet you", and yes, he really was. The only time Shinji's character actually works is in his presence. Otherwise he's just grating as fuck all. It's too bad they Eoten'd half of it.

More plot stuff blah blah blah double penetration EVA-13, musical motifs, they go down to the epicenter of the Third Impact to retrieve the spears. As much as I hate to say it, Lafiel was right. It's a futile endeavor to try to understand any of the plot whatsoever. The only way to sanely enjoy Evangelion is to treat it as a character drama with a lot of needless plot jargon. This is something that can only be realized with hindsight.

Wille shows up, and Kaworu discovers something is wrong. I won't get into the details here. EVA-13 and EVA- 02's fight was decent. I mean, it's not Iso, but it's not the kind of weightless ninja kung fu fighting in the 4.0 trailer, or in Code Geass. Even if Shinji is fighting Asuka with funnels, there's a lot of momentum and impact. And, if I'm not mistaken, most of it is hand animated, so that's a plus.

Then Shinji ignores everyone and tries to get the spears because Kaworu said so, nevermind that he's telling Shinji to stop. But I guess he was too drunk on delusions of relevance to care. Turns out Shinji was being played like a fool by Gendo, and they initiated the Fourth Impact. Oh no!

So in comes the air ship to try to take out super saiyan EVA-13. Around this point, I just shut my brain off and treated it as though it was the 3rd act to Kubrick's 2001. It was a good light show all things considered. Take that firehawk!

However I will give special mention to one scene. I don't know if it's the :DTL inside me or what but this was really touching, and heavily reminiscent of the opener from Tsubasa. However poorly Tsubasa turned out, I will always fondly remember the first few pages with not!Sakura and not!Syaoran. Anyone who knows me knows that I have a thing for tragic love stories, so, if nothing else, Anno succeeded in invoking those feelings inside me.

Anyway the story ends with Asuka, Shinji, and Rei walking over a hill. Asuka is still tsun, Shinji is still emo, Rei is back to where she was at the start of the series. Basically, nothing happened.

Fin.

tl;dr

The Good:
- Kaworu being gay with Shinji
- PIANNO
- Mari not giving a shit and her smug face
- Asuka being tsuntsun
- Animated jaws. Really, it's a rarity in anime. Everyone's jaws are wiggling around in 3.0
- EVA-13 vs EVA-02
- The new plug suits are much more classy
- Seele being deactivated
- Kaworu is so dreamy
- 'Awakened' EVA-13, the two sets of arms are really cool
- As always, the UI of the computers in Evangelion are completely unusable but impressive nonetheless

The Bad:
- No shower scene between Kaworu and Shinji
- Asuka being tsuntsun
- Misato and Ritsuko being marginalized and their nonsensical redesigns
- The plot
- The timeskip (and deviation from source material)
- Whose skulls are those, if they're as large as an EVA unit's heel?
- Rei being reset, again

The Ugly:
- Wunder
- Cyclopsgendo
- The first fight
- The jargon
- All the CG (including all of the angels)
- Attack on Evaoten
- EVA-00 is ugly as sin although the scythe is cool

Jarmel

Banned
Now time for EDs I guess. I'm not going according to only song as otherwise stuff like Roundabout would be on here along with And Forever. Admittedly I applied a pretty stringent ruling in that it couldn't be composed of just a bunch of still frames or a pan shot but in those cases, the emphasis is usually on the music rather than a combination of both animation and music.

1.Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood- Uso

2.Bakemonogatari- Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari

3.Birdy The Mighty Decode 2- Tane(Note I couldn't for the life of me find a version with audio)

4.Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya- Hare Hare Yukai

5.Fooly Cooly- Ride on Shooting Star

6.Tenchi Muyo! Ryu-Ohki-Renai no Sainou

7.Eureka Seven- Tip Taps Tip

8.Shin Sekai Yori- Wareta Ringo

9.Bleach- Comet

10.Joshiraku-A Hundred Smiles of Japan

cajunator

Banned
It's not my first time, no. This is actually more like my 4th time. And if I finally break down and watch Kiddy Grade will you give me a dollar?

I'll give you my eternal admiration and a cookie.

Kiddy Grade is pretty fun. Its not suffering. thats not to say it is a written masterpiece or anything but it can help rinse out some of the scars you bear.

survivor

Banned
Now time for EDs I guess. I'm not going according to only song as otherwise stuff like Roundabout would be on here along with And Forever. Admittedly I applied a pretty stringent ruling in that it couldn't be composed of just a bunch of still frames or a pan shot but in those cases, the emphasis is usually on the music rather than a combination of both animation and music.

1.Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood- Uso

2.Bakemonogatari- Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari
Love the songs used for both of these EDs.

Syrinx

I know that feel.
Wont have much time at all to post tonight or tomorrow.
Going on my ninth work day in a row. Its exhausting.

I'm kinda exhausted too.

But damn, nine days of twelve-hour shifts in a row? I'm studying CS so I shouldn't be intimidated by the thought of having to do this at some point...but that's just gotta be brutal.

jgminto

Oh man, I'm such an idiot! I forgot one of the best OPs! Death Note's second OP. The second ED is one of the best too.
Maximum the Hormone is just top notch. One of my favourite bands.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) 01-02

Pretty good, so far. David Productions put a lot of effort into making big hits feel impactful with SFX and focus lines when it wasn't really possible with fluid animation, although it feels silly when that happens with reaction shots.

Jonathan's voice is much higher than I would expect given his build; I suppose that's to convey his innocent and kindhearted nature.

The show's fond of lighting scenes and characters with an overwhelming color, reminds me of a much less artful Death Note.

The way the prelude section of "Roundabout" begins before the actual ED starts is kind of neat.

Enjoy the journey, dude!

I'll never get over the fact that going to a certain level of Super Saiyan completely changes your hair back to black and makes you grow red body hair and another tail. That was so bogglingly random for me.
After SS3 had them grow extremely long hair and for whatever reason lose their eyebrows, I really doubt anyone who worked on this series really cared anymore.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
When people have discussions about best OPs/EDs I'm never sure if they're judging from a purely musical standpoint or an overall audiovisual standpoint. What my favorites are differ depending on the criteria.

Theonik

Sora no Woto 06
iPtJAZgZWbnL7.png

*nods*
dolphinrape.gif
I may have hidden spoilers in those links.
This episode man. THIS EPISODE.
We finally see where they get all their Moe money from, if you think about it it's not that surprising in hindsight, though this episode does shed more light on the kind of government this world is under.Dat Mauser C96, looks like the select fire model. They seem to have animated the action cycle pretty well too. Also dat MG42 and MP40 and those Walther p38s, so basically they seem to be equipped with mostly German made equipment from the 30s-40s, though admittedly this is very odd for a post apocalyptic world but I'll give it a pass because the C96 gives me multiple boners.
This scene man. That Noel. Hnnngh. So good. PRIORITIES
More post apocalypse hints. Radiation poisoning?
So much :firehawk in this show.

7.5 was a BD special, so it's not really "important" to watch but it's honestly one of my favorites. I'm not entirely sure if the ep 1 I watched was the extended episode or not, so I couldn't tell you.
I figured it wasn't exactly required viewing but thanks I'll watch it then! Yeah google is not telling me either :/ Second version seems 1 minute longer though.

Narag

When people have discussions about best OPs/EDs I'm never sure if they're judging from a purely musical standpoint or an overall audiovisual standpoint. What my favorites are differ depending on the criteria.

Yeah, I'm going to explain my choices in minimal detail whenever I bother to post, if ever. zzz

Kurita

I only judge the music, don't care about the animation.

Jex

As much as I hate to say it, Lafiel was right. It's a futile endeavor to try to understand any of the plot whatsoever. The only way to sanely enjoy Evangelion is to treat it as a character drama with a lot of needless plot jargon. This is something that can only be realized with hindsight.

Hey, the plot of the TV series kind of eventually made sense, mainly because it was all about Nerv waiting for the Angels to attack one by one. Pretty simple stuff.

cajunator

Banned
I'm kinda exhausted too.

But damn, nine days of twelve-hour shifts in a row? I'm studying CS so I shouldn't be intimidated by the thought of having to do this at some point...but that's just gotta be brutal.

I suppose you get kind of used to it.
12 hour shifts are not that bad, but adding up 7,8,9 of them starts to wear on your body.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hey, the plot of the TV series kind of eventually made sense, mainly because it was all about Nerv waiting for the Angels to attack one by one. Pretty simple stuff.

True enough. Also, I feel like at some point in 3.0, Kaworu should've said this:

"I don't know everything, I only know what I know."

Would've been GLORIOUS.

Jarmel

Banned

Yea, I started to go through the EDs and it pissed me off how many I had to eliminate as I'm looking at it solely through an audiovisual lens.

cajunator

Banned

I go by the whole package.
Animation + music.
Different styles suit different music and some reflect the shows better than others.
In some instances, the music is so fucking good it overpowers everything else.
Then you have stuff like Fractale that is irrelevant to the actual show but so goddamned catchy and pretty.

Sora no Woto 06

I may have hidden spoilers in those links.
This episode man. THIS EPISODE.
We finally see where they get all their Moe money from, if you think about it it's not that surprising in hindsight, though this episode does shed more light on the kind of government this world is under.Dat Mauser C96, looks like the select fire model. They seem to have animated the action cycle pretty well too. Also dat MG42 and MP40 and those Walther p38s, so basically they seem to be equipped with mostly German made equipment from the 30s-40s, though admittedly this is very odd for a post apocalyptic world but I'll give it a pass because the C96 gives me multiple boners.
This scene man. That Noel. Hnnngh. So good. PRIORITIES
More post apocalypse hints. Radiation poisoning?
So much :firehawk in this show.

I figured it wasn't exactly required viewing but thanks I'll watch it then! Yeah google is not telling me either :/ Second version seems 1 minute longer though.

I choked up at the scene
where Mishio let Yumina do her hair
and that dolphin line is golden. Definitely one of my favorite episodes.

cajunator

Banned
I have a backlog that is so ridiculously lengthy, but Im in the mood to watch Sora no woto again. I blame this somehow on animeGaf. Yeah its yall fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom