• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only on PS3 for some bizarre reason, though - they'll still refuse to play on most, if not all, stand alone Region B decks.

I didn't knew that .

Well the ps3 is my only blu ray player so its not an issue yet for me.
Sad to hear that they don't work on regular blu ray players.

BluWacky

Fuse - Teppou Musume no Torimonocho (The Story of the Gun-Wielding Bounty Huntress)

I finally got around to watching this a couple of days ago. I think I've now seen all the 2012 anime films that weren't spinoffs from TV shows except for Gothicmade.

fuse1_zps89ef533c.jpg

I don't know the story of the Hakkenden at all; I think if I did this film would make a lot more sense to me to start with, although the key elements of the Princess Fuse story are retold in the film itself. There are all sorts of references to the original story in here that will probably amuse those familiar with it.

Fuse on its own merits, then, is a pretty decent movie - not outstanding, but good. It has a lot of admirable qualities, but the main emotional arc of the film isn't really strong enough for my tastes; Hamaji, the female lead, comes across a little too childish, which makes the central relationship of the film slightly odd. This is not helped by the film's odd approach to blushes which seem to take up most of her face! With that said other characters, particularly the male lead Shino and Hamaji's wannabe samurai brother Dousetsu, are much more interesting or entertaining. There's a nice through-line in the story about the power of the written word and how it can reveal or distort the truth, but otherwise it's a fairly straightforward and nicely told story.

Production values are never less than good and are frequently excellent. Although there is a willingness to play with character designs a little and some of the action animation makes excellent use of some surprising crayon art (!), mostly the film looks consistently solid - it tends towards the Bones/Ghibli end of polish, rather than anything more offbeat but rough around the edges. Edo is depicted with a wonderful sense of liveliness and place throughout, and the whole film is bolstered by Michiru Ooshima's typically excellent score.

It's not in the league of Wolf Children by any means, even if it does have a lupine romance at its heart, but I don't have any hesitation about suggesting people check this out if they get the chance.

Maybe when I was a child yeah, but I don't know if I could stare at my naked brother and sister now that the three of us are adults.

I'm sure, since your adults it wouldn't be a big problem if you caught them like that. I think its a puberty thing because thats when you feel most insecure about your body etc.

The towels are cursed in Japan. It's a real problem.

You can never trust them especially when walking up or down stairs. I always were something underneath lol.

Weird. I used take baths for my sister but that was like when she was 2-3 lol. I guess when you become older its just awkward.

Maybe when I was a child yeah, but I don't know if I could stare at my naked brother and sister now that the three of us are adults.

Well here as pretty much everyone use sauna weekly I guess you just get used to it. Even as teenager I had no problems with going to sauna with my older sister. Just couldn't see her in any sexual way.

CorvoSol

Gargantia 1

Okay, between MJP, Valvrave and this, this was definitely the best opening for the season. I will watch more. Love me some BSG style lost Earth stuff. Hate CG mecha so much, they just always look off color and out of place for some reason. It's hard to describe, really. I would also say the Machine Caliber is my least favorite design as far as CG mecha go, mostly because of its big head, but the rest of the show was so good I don't give a damn.

Fuse - Teppou Musume no Torimonocho (The Story of the Gun-Wielding Bounty Huntress)

This movie has piqued my interest ever since the PVs came out, good to hear that it'll be worth watching. It's a shame that it's been out on BD for about 2 weeks now with no english subtitles in sight. Sigh, time to continue the waiting game.

Gargantia 1

Okay, between MJP, Valvrave and this, this was definitely the best opening for the season. I will watch more. Love me some BSG style lost Earth stuff. Hate CG mecha so much, they just always look off color and out of place for some reason. It's hard to describe, really. I would also say the Machine Caliber is my least favorite design as far as CG mecha go, mostly because of its big head, but the rest of the show was so good I don't give a damn.

Chamber is really a character more then he is a mech.

Dennis

Banned
Oreimo 2 - Episode 4

Finished it. This is some sick shit.

Can't wait to see what happens in Episode 5.

"Be my boyfriend, Onii-chan!"

O_O

Nana 45-46

Wtf why does Shoji matter now. The awful situation between Nobu and Hachi is ignored with Hachi never saying anything about it. All of a sudden Shoji is thrown in this stupid drama.

jgminto

Majestic Prince 5

Better episode. A few okay character moments. Pretty great action scene. It pretty was standard "blow up the Death Star" style, but it was still pretty exciting, although when they escape out of the hole it looked pretty bad.

Honestly, I'd rather the show be about Team Doberman.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon R] 072
Crazy = Hot. Questions:

1. Isn't Rubeus' plan to
change the timeline? Surely unleashing a FUCKING BLACK HOLE on planet Earth would end up with NO future?
2. Why is their final attack called Sailor Planet Power when the moon is not a planet? I'm just being pedantic here.
3. Why does Sailor Earth not exist?

Hidasketch 6

rkJfn9i.jpg

Buddha Brutus reappears! I'm also kind of jealous of that creamy pink colored CRT.

we went from prophetic dreams to tense nightmares but otherwise this episode is business as usual in wideface SoL world. I was looking forward to a summer episode without gratuitous fan service and this episode almost made it! It wasn't anything particularly over the line but those couple of lingering shots just felt unnaturally tacked on. It's hard to top the previous episode but this one was still decent.

BluWacky

It appears that the Hataraku Maou-sama OP has now made its way onto Youtube, following 7th's screenshot earlier today.

It's pretty decent - it's a simple visual idea ("they both do the same things, but they're on different sides!") carried through effectively.

I think that means we've now got all the OPs and EDs for this season, right?

3. Why does Sailor Earth not exist?

He does.

Chiba Mamoru = 地場 衛 = literally "Earth's protector"

Cardcaptor Sakura 9

Today we do not get a costume because of surprise attacks.

Love is in the air again, and this time, Li is initiating the :DTL. Will Sakura win in her unrequited love!? We still have 61 episodes for that!

Sakura has some neat friends, seems like she has the cutie harem running about.

jgminto

Devil Survivor 2

Those fools! Why would you destroy those boxes! They're invaluable sneaking tools!

So duckroll's waifu arrived. She was pretty cute, although she didn't really do anything this episode. That Joe guy seems cool, he's got a baller suit.

I feel like I've heard this type of story a million times over though.

It appears that the Hataraku Maou-sama OP has now made its way onto Youtube, following 7th's screenshot earlier today.

It's pretty decent - it's a simple visual idea ("they both do the same things, but they're on different sides!") carried through effectively.

I think that means we've now got all the OPs and EDs for this season, right?
I like it! Although sad Chiho makes me sad.

Jarmel

Banned

It wasn't worth the wait like Psycho-Pass's 2nd OP was, but it's not bad either. It does effectively carry the theme through but doesn't do much beyond that. I don't think it's as well directed as the 2nd SAO OP though.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Heartcatch Precure 25:

Thought you could sneak in that new outfit design at the very end of your new ED without me noticing, did ya? Think again! Sadly it also reminds me that most of the time in CG, long/swaying cloth like Moonlight's skirt just never seem to flow right and it's really distracting. The song is good though.

EDIT:

Also, why is Sunshine the only one without a tact?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Because why not? Sunshine's outfit is also completely different from Tsubomi's and Erika's. Speculation goes that she's just a new generation of Precure.

I suppose that could be it since it's a new fairy... I just found it curious that Blossom, Marine, Moonlight, and even Dark all have tacts, but Sunshine's gotta do her own thing! XD More power to her I suppose. ;P

Metrotab

Banned
Attack on Titan - 3

This show has both the best OP and ED of the season for me. Good stuff.

Anyway, that's the end of the introductory arc, time for the real work!

Well I guess this depends on where you come from. Here in Finland most people don't have any problems seeing their siblings naked as they have gotten used to it since childhood because of our sauna culture.

Yeah, but the character in question is American, and you don't really do that here.

Heartcatch Precure 25:

Also, why is Sunshine the only one without a tact?

Because she's tactless, duh! Except for the fact that she's totally not. Either way tambourines are awesome so why not?

Hidasketch 7

mi8SIVR.jpg

Good to know Miyako is as unclassy and lazy as I am. Why don't more people do this? It's so convenient!

I like how some of these episodes have happened the day before a typical anime event. This one is the day before the sports festival and before that they did the day before valentine's day. It's also cool that the four main girls can now be represented by a symbol. We have an X for Yuno, glasses for Sae, a fox mask for Miya, and now snake hair for Hiro. I'm surprised they didn't take the chance to confront the Landlady about the dangers of Miya's room during a typhoon, cool to finally see her though. Also isn't it a rude tradition to order pizza during typhoons? Clearly Yuno is heartless, that poor delivery guy.

After going through School Days, I was still in the mood to watch some older stuff that I missed in the past. I watched Toonami back in the day like many others, but it wasn't until a couple years ago when I decided to try to follow the current airing stuff. Aside from the much older stuff in the 90's and back, I completely missed an entire decade of shows in the 2000's that didn't somehow make it to US tv networks. I've saved a few recommendation charts over the years so the other day I made a short list of shows that were of high interest for me and/or are considered necessary/required viewing. Might as well strike while the iron is hot, right?

Anyways, first up is...

Tatami Galaxy - 1-5
My god, the dialogue in this show is thrown out so fast it's as if the Micro Machines guy is the main character! It's really jarring at first, and it kept me from being able to focus on the art for the majority of the first episode. I adjusted to the speed not too long after, but it definitely threw me for a loop.

The main draw coming into this was the very visually striking art style. On all accounts, that aspect has completely delivered as it mixes expressive 2D animation with some occasional live action scenery while also having an eclectic looking cast, specifically Ozu and Higuchi. The colors can be very vibrant or even desaturated depending on the mood. There's a good use of symbolism and visual metaphors to show how a character is feeling or what the situation at hand is like. Sometimes this comes off as more literal than not. It's all very zany and unpredictable which compliments its story nicely.

Now the story was the part that I went into this completely fresh. The best way I can describe it is that it's like Groundhog's Day but rather than repeating the same day, the MC is repeating a similar span of time with a few constants and changing variables each episode. I'm not big on episodic shows; however, the concept and execution helps spice things up a bit. It's also good to note that the pacing is super brisk.

I'm juggling between whether or not the quick, articulate banter adds to the charm or is a mild detriment to the show as someone who doesn't speak the language. The thing is I really do like everything else about it! But I can imagine it being a turn off for some people back when it aired.

Articalys

Daily Lives of High School Boys is up for preorder on Right Stuf now, if you were waiting for that.

Also, in what seems to be a tradition with new NISA releases, ANN is having a contest to win a copy of the box set, by submitting questions for an upcoming interview about the show with director Shinji Takamatsu (no Gintama questions allowed, sadly).

Tatami Galaxy - 1-5

Ooooh, you're in for a treat. Good to hear the two biggest turn offs most people have with the show are no problem for you. If anything I think the repetition of an episodic show helps alleviate the problem of super fast dialogue because of all the patterns that turn up. Tatami Galaxy loves to play around with the formula its set up so don't worry about things getting stale.

Metrotab

Banned
Majestic Prince - 3

I can't be the only one bothered by how this show approaches its exposition.

And goddamn Genki Girl was super annoying this episode.

-Horizon-

Devil Survivor 2 ep 5

Not sure where this is going, it just feels like a lot of plot condensing and/or cuts going on. I'll keep watching though.

Photo Kano ep 4

Better episode than the previous ones? I think so.
The harem gathers.

Oregairu ep 4

Hachiman is weak to Saika, that was a funny scene.

Majestic Prince ep 5

When in doubt, watch with all your friends.
Good episode, probably the better one I watched today. That video scene alone was hilarious. Asagi mentioning that one of the people on the video resembles the instructor was just icing on the cake.

Syrinx

Seto no Hanayome 2

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to watch anymore. This just isn't very good. Got a decent chuckle out of the chocolate-covered gun, but that's about it. Sun's father is a mob boss; if he wanted to kill Nagasumi, he could have him killed easily. Maybe he just wants to intimidate him, but he did sick a shark on him.

Sun's nice and cute, but I can get nice and cute elsewhere. Nice and cute is a dime-a-dozen.

Metrotab

Banned
Attack on Titan - 4

The band of brothers has been established! It's crazy how
the arch-titan pretty much appears out of nowhere.

Taruranto

Valvrave #4

Ok, that was plain bad. And not "so bad it becomes fun" like before. Ok maybe just a little.

But wtf, why is Shoko nonblocking ERU-ERFRU? He's the true star of the show. I wish she got lasered for real in the first episode.

Hidasketch 8

OsTlTq8.jpg
6RR4D7M.jpg

Weird ass awesome art by Miya, looked pretty fun to draw. I also just thought the Math book cover looked cool.

This show has always had some background :SDBurton: radiating throughout but this episode was hands down the SDBurton....est? Just like how most things are handled in this show it wasn't over the top, just a constant and pleasant sprinkle of :SDBurton: throughout with Sae finally getting some attention. Is it fair to crown Sae as the most pleasant tsundere to ever tsundere? Never anything shrill about how she's embarassed, at most a "Stop it now, let's move on". Well I guess it's hard to call that Tsun, is there a more appropiate term for her? Also curious about how long the title to her LN is and if there's any developments with it. This series does take place over a few years right? So I hope they do something with her career as a writer somewhere down the road.

DNYSN3T.jpg
B4NXGro.jpg

Sae told them to not use the front door and they do it twice! These girls just can't enough of breaking and entering!

Maou-sama 5

Shit got pretty fucking real this episode while still keeping the same level of lightheartedness its had since the first episode. The actual OP animation is decent, nothing awesome just one of your "this is sort of what the show is like" OPs.

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Episode 4
tumblr_mm757q5s9L1qbxqfpo1_500.png

The Scryed reference was funny and then the one that was like an emulation of Mokona's 108 secret skills things was pleasing too. I wonder what else Hikki can do. Otherwise just plain hilarious throughout, Hayama must stick around. And if Saika can say Hachiman somemore just so Hikki can blush somemore...

jgminto

Valvrave 4

I love the dumbness. The protagonist hates Eru Eruf because he killed him. If you want people to believe you then you should start stripping. Eru Eruf prophecies can't predict dumb girls. You have to bite the skin directly to vampire. Never try to pilot someone else's Valvrave. Randomly firing a machine gun won't kill people.

And next week is a musical!? A FUCKING MUSICAL!?

Seto no Hanayome 2

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to watch anymore. This just isn't very good. Got a decent chuckle out of the chocolate-covered gun, but that's about it. Sun's father is a mob boss; if he wanted to kill Nagasumi, he could have him killed easily. Maybe he just wants to intimidate him, but he did sick a shark on him.

Sun's nice and cute, but I can get nice and cute elsewhere. Nice and cute is a dime-a-dozen.

He is a dotting father..the problem is that he doesn't want to oppose directly his daughter wishes even if he disagrees.
Besides this is a comedy .
Also you shoudl stick to the 3ep rule.
I also watched 3 eps of yuyushiki yet i disliked it from ep 1.
For comedy i find it's fair to give a chance for the setting and the fun to take effect.
I say this because seto no hayanome is a school comedy and you haven't reached the school yet.In short you're in a lenghty prologue (school starts at ep 4 )

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon R] 072
Now imagine that you're watching this on TV and after this episode the next episode you see aired is 47, which you haven't seen because it skipped from 46 to 60. Then it goes on to 48 and then eventually 59. Then nothing. There's no more to see.

DiC's original airing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom