• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

Valvrave 4

I love the dumbness. The protagonist hates Eru Eruf because he killed him. If you want people to believe you then you should start stripping. Eru Eruf prophecies can't predict dumb girls. You have to bite the skin directly to vampire. Never try to pilot someone else's Valvrave. Randomly firing a machine gun won't kill people.

And next week is a musical!? A FUCKING MUSICAL!?

Valvrave is like everything I never knew I wanted.

EtN5bSr.jpg
PZsupES.jpg

Hinata~

Naruto Shippuden 311

Great episode.

The adaption from the manga was spot on and I quite enjoyed seeing Naruto hanging out and being happy with all his friends.

Defuser

Valvrave ep 4
fbTIKh1.gif

HAHAHAHAA My god, I can't take it, it's too funny. The ending reveal is just icing on cake. This episode is like guilty crown but times hundred.

Shoko continues to be best girl.

MikeMyers

Its the Road To Ninja one shot that was released before the movie.

Hmmm...what fillers should I skip then? I just finished EP89

057-071 -- 12 Ninja Guardians/Sora arc (already skipped this lol)
090-112 -- Three-Tails arc
144-151 -- Six-Tails arc
170-171 -- "The Lost Tower" movie promotion
176-196 -- History of Konoha arc (all one-shot stories)
223-242 -- Sea travel arc (all one-shot stories)
257-260 -- Naruto&Sasuke flashbacks
271 ------- "Road to Ninja" movie promotion
279-281 -- Extensions to the war arc
284-289 -- Extensions to the war arc
290-295 -- Power arc
303-315 -- Extensions to the war arc

jgminto

Hataraku Maou-sama! 5

What a fantastic episode! They were able to set up, execute and resolve the action in a single episode! It looked great and the humour was still present during the tension. Lucifer was a really cool rival and it'll be interesting to see how he integrates into the story going forward. The
church being bad
isn't that surprising. Emi's companions seem cool as well. I'd like to see them pop up in the future.

#TeamChiho is still going strong! Still No.1! She even created the funniest moment in the episode!

5 out of 5 great episodes!

Hmmm...what fillers should I skip then? I just finished EP89

057-071 -- 12 Ninja Guardians/Sora arc (already skipped this lol)
090-112 -- Three-Tails arc The only good thing about this was Tobi's and Deidara's moments which you can watch on Youtube
144-151 -- Six-Tails arc Haven't seen it
170-171 -- "The Lost Tower" movie promotion Skip
176-196 -- History of Konoha arc (all one-shot stories) SKIP!
223-242 -- Sea travel arc (all one-shot stories) Skip except 232
257-260 -- Naruto&Sasuke flashbacks Skip, although I think parts of it coincide with Gaara's war speech
271 ------- "Road to Ninja" movie promotion Watch it for Hinata in a qipao
279-281 -- Extensions to the war arc
284-289 -- Extensions to the war arc
290-295 -- Power arc Watch!
303-315 -- Extensions to the war arc
That's my take on filler anyway.

War extension actually has some decent filler so you should give some of them a try.

Welp decided to break it.

Suite AngstCure 6

Okay, maybe angst is too heavy of a word to use here, but more bickering between the duo, and Kanade being a major ass hole to her brother, who does in fact troll people. Like god damn, she's probably the biggest ass of the co-leads that are out there, but it makes sense considering how much they go at each other. Of course they make up, Siren finds it ridiculous. It feels weird watching this, but I couldn't sit well with the resolution behind it somewhat.

Also,

INTRODUCING THE MIRACLE BIRTHER, FROM EPISODE 6, OUR NEWEST MERCHANDISING PRADACT FOR YOU SUC-- I MEAN CUSTOMERS! Maybe I watched All Stars DX3 a bit too soon since I did not see them get the product placement before I started. Not that it mattered.

As for the first image, I have a feeling that little girl might be more important than she lets on. Just a hunch.

Hataraku Maou 5

I think this episode may have cemented the show as best of the season for me, pushing it above Titan.

Was not expecting something so epic, yet it didn't feel out of place. There had to be cool stuff from the other world eventually. Fortunately, it never lost its comedic heart, with people being funny even in the most tense moments. And to top it all off, it looks like next week,
Lucifer will start adapting to real world life as well.
I do think there needs to be more interaction between Emilia and the other demons in regards to what they did in the other world, but we're at a good place right now.

Also loved the OP. There's one part I really liked and I'd gif it if fuckin gifcam would actually work for me :/

Easily one of the best ones, I will never get sick of this meme.

Hidasketch 11

VMggE1d.jpg
iUOXTII.jpg

I totally forgot eating chips this way was a thing. The second pic came way later in the episode so I spent way too much time trying to figure out who was drinking what.

This episode made me realize that the teacher might not show up in the next season unless for whatever reason they pull a Feeney. Also never wondered until now who Hiro and Sae's teacher were this whole time, would've been great for Yoshi to have another teacher as a foil the way the did in Azumanga Daioh. On to the finale!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Remember that there's OVA episodes for every season as well, Falafel. Well, not for Honeycomb yet, but hopefully we'll get some for it too.

duckroll

Valvrave is like everything I never knew I wanted.

I think this perfectly describes how I feel each week watching the show. I really enjoy it, it's crazy entertainment, but I never know exactly what I'm going to get or why I'm going to enjoy it. It's like a mystery box. Or buying a booster pack for a card game. Omg!!!

duckroll

People comparing Valvrave to Guilty Crown make me less and less likely to check it out each and every time. :(

Guilty Crown is the false pretender that attempted to copy Code Geass. Valvrave is the true successor to the Code Geass legacy.

tl;dr: Valvrave is actually fun like CG with over the top cool characters, GC was boring emo crap with shock value.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Who keeps paying for that when it fails to hit the Manabi Line every single time?
Gotta put some of the money from the million+ manga volumes sold each year to some use I guess.
Pretty much. Once Chihayafuru S2 happened, I came to the realization that for adaptations, sales don't really matter. The anime is basically the equivalent of the McDonalds pack in toy that they make in China for 10 cents a piece in order to pimp the actual property.

It also seems that the Sakurasou novels will end in July, but dismal sales of the anime mean that a season two to conclude the story is unlikely.
Which is why, assuming these novels are actually decent sellers, I wouldn't be surprised if they made an S2 of this thing either.

Although, if S1 was any indication, it'd just be another 13-26 episodes of the same story over and over again.

People comparing Valvrave to Guilty Crown make me less and less likely to check it out each and every time. :(
If you scrub it, at least it only takes 4 minutes to watch instead of 22?

wonzo

Banned
Guilty Crown is the false pretender that attempted to copy Code Geass. Valvrave is the true successor to the Code Geass legacy.

tl;dr: Valvrave is actually fun like CG with over the top cool characters, GC was boring emo crap with shock value.
Well I'm sold.

If you scrub it, at least it only takes 4 minutes to watch instead of 22?
Scrubbing through episodes that aren't (non-ikuhara) recaps? Gross.

Articalys

More detailed sales analysis from this week:

- Puchimas vol.2 suffered only a slight decrease over volume one and is still doing very well for such a short show

- OreShura has fallen quite a bit from that ticket-boosted 7,000 vol.1 down to barely 2,000 for vol.3

- Magi sales are still plummeting, barely scraping together 4,300 BD/DVD combined for vol.5 when vol.1 sold nearly 9,000 DVDs alone first week. "This makes Guilty Crown and even AoEx look like paragons of stability," says something.

- as noted, Sakurasou scrapes together just over 2,000 BDs for vol.4

- Kokoro Connect stumbles to the finish line with a series per-volume average of just over 2,100 BDs each. How things might have been different (if at all) without that scandal, we'll never know.

Articalys

how fitting. lol
DVD
2013/01/30 10,948 Vol. 1 Limited Edition (Two episodes up to Vol. 2)
2013/02/06 *8,170 Vol. 2 Limited Edition
2013/02/27 *4,414 Vol. 3 Limited Edition (Three episodes up to Vol. 5)
2013/03/27 *3,752 Vol. 4 Limited Edition
2013/04/24 *2,537 Vol. 5 Limited Edition

Blu-ray
2013/01/30 *5,677 Vol. 1
2013/02/06 *4,258 Vol. 2
2013/02/27 *2,882 Vol. 3
2013/03/27 *2,527 Vol. 4
2013/04/24 *1,770 Vol. 5

I know these are to-date sales so the earlier volumes have a slight advantage, but it's still quite telling.

Long Title SNAFU Thing 5

This continues to be the most average show ever even with the introduction of boygirl Saika and now a delinquent character.

Articalys

Also, if Girls und Panzer can keep the stocks fulfilled, it might be able to eventually snatch the #20 spot away from Anohana on the modern per-volume best-sellers chart (currently 31,118 vs. 31,523).

duckroll

Blu-ray sales doesn't matter to magi right? After all the aim was to boost manga sales?

I think saying that it sales "don't matter" for anything is a fallacy. Entertainment is made to be sold, and if it doesn't sell, it certainly matters to someone because there is money being lost. It isn't a charity. The aim for ONE of the production partners would certainly be to boost manga sales. But the show clearly isn't funded and sold by that one partner.

Well, it didn't boost manga sales, so...

It did, just not as much as they expected, but there's still the next season!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think saying that it sales "don't matter" for anything is a fallacy. Entertainment is made to be sold, and if it doesn't sell, it certainly matters to someone because there is money being lost. It isn't a charity. The aim for ONE of the production partners would certainly be to boost manga sales. But the show clearly isn't funded and sold by that one partner.
Yet somehow Uwe Boll has (had?) a career.

Hidasketch 12
GiiYW4s.jpg
9SmPXrR.jpg

Breaking and entering clearly runs in the family.

A wild Imouto appears, and just in time for the Christmas special! Again, just like it should, Hidasketch treats it like just another day rather than with boatloads of fanfare. It's nice to see things come full circle and to have the little things resolved was a nice touch. The fax was given a nice twist, the principal made his revenge statue, and Sae's pen name was revealed. It wouldn't be an issue if none of these things happened but the fact that they did shows that they made this with some attention to the details. They managed to fit in the requisite goodbyes with the timing of this episode but maybe because I've seen that before so many times that it didn't hit the melancholy ending sweet spot that episode 10 did. Overall this was a good ending to a great SoL show that managed to be peaceful and relaxing without being boring.

Remember that there's OVA episodes for every season as well, Falafel. Well, not for Honeycomb yet, but hopefully we'll get some for it too.

Yup, look forward to em too! Just not tonight because of silly work in the morning, bah!

Syrinx

Princess Tutu 21

VILbLuz.jpg

If only Mr. Cat could have gotten his own lessons.

So it turns out that
Fakir is a direct descendant of Drosselmeyer. And that all the books he was reading were written by Drosselmeyer, and somebody is ripping them out to avoid having the endings come true.
The power to write a good ending to this story lies inside Fakir. At least it does now that he had some trippy encounter with a talking oak tree where he was naked.

Now the existential crisis lies with Duck. She seems now to just be an observer of everything going on, no longer able to make any real impact on the story or help Mytho. But I think she'll be okay. She's Princess Tutu. Also, Tutu's dancing scenes are fantastic. I've said that before but I'm saying it again.

Poor Rue. I feel bad for her. This show seems to not really make the distinction between good and evil. Rather, the dynamic seems to be love vs. the desire to be loved by others. Kraehe's actions stem from only being able to be loved by the prince and her father, and she wants to have the prince so bad because she'll lose both the people who love her if she doesn't. And evil Mytho's evil actions are trying to gain sacrifices based on people giving them all of the love they have. He went on a nihilistic rant in a previous episode too about how nobody loves; they only want to be loved. Evil Mytho doesn't seem to think very much of human beings.

duckroll

Yet somehow Uwe Boll has (had?) a career.

His movies are probably profitable. They're made really cheaply, the make a few million at the box office, and when you factor in long term home video sales, I don't see how they can't make their money back. I also think he at least partially finances all his own movies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
His movies are probably profitable. They're made really cheaply, the make a few million at the box office, and when you factor in long term home video sales, I don't see how they can't make their money back. I also think he at least partially finances all his own movies.
A career in exploiting tax loopholes.
Hah.

Maybe anime is just a money laundering scheme. It'd explain why there's so much of it all aimed at the same 20-30k people in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom