• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ledo is ripped. Those are some serious pecs.

But I guess you can join the winning side too, :DTL!

Hahaha thats ripped lol.

This is ripped:

tumblr_m86sjkqN5m1qevixfo1_r1_500.gif

Jarmel

Banned
[Rewatch] Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' On Heaven's Door-

So after the earlier talk about Space Dandy and CGI spaceships, I decided to rewatch the movie. I also needed something to wash the shitstain that is Arjuna out of my mouth. This held up better and worse than I expected. I haven't seen any Bebop related stuff in years so I did overall enjoy it but that's more due to the strength of the core cast rather than the movie itself. Ed and Ein is love.

iNceqGBsmoGcP.jpg

I miss cels.

The story itself isn't that great and is pretty straightforward. There isn't any real shocks to it. I think it works fine as a self-contained story with no larger narrative consequences. It shows the Bebop crew doing what they do best and for me that was enough. I did have issues though with the two new main characters introduced in the film, Elektra and Vincent. I found it funny that Jennifer Hale voiced Elektra. I realized halfway through the film that Elektra sounded like Hale and low and behold, Hale voiced her. Elektra is a pretty boring character in that she's the lovestruck hunter trope and there really isn't much to her character otherwise. The bigger problem is Vincent. His motivations really aren't that great. He wants to destroy the world in order to wake up from the supposed dream that he's having. There's no real personal element to tie the villain to the main crew and Vincent isn't that engrossing of a character. I also think the start of the rape scene of Faye, before he was interrupted, was really unnecessary and served to undermine the villain a bit. Vincent just feels too surreal, which admittedly is intentional, but I don't think it works. He feels like he's just going through the motions without any real feeling to him.

i0YGCImZ6evuY.gif

The funny part is that the train sequence when Spike first takes on Vincent is the most popular gifed sequence of the film however it's not even the best fight sequence. The final fight between Vincent and Spike is insane on a choreography front. I said Goddamn outloud at certain parts.

ixSxId4yKIwxG.gif

They both look like they're using actual martial arts due to the stances and the actual way they direct their attacks. For example the way Vincent focuses his attacks uses his hands while Spike is more focused on mobility and leg strikes. It actually looks like a fight between two professionals rather than the shit we got in Psycho-Pass for example. One of Watanabe's strengths is getting the right people for the choreography work. It's really apparent how far ahead he is in this stuff when you look at Samurai Champloo as well. There are three real hand-to-hand setpieces in the movie and each really stand out for different reasons. The fight between Spike and Electra is fun because of Spike's use of a weapon and it's really dynamic. The first fight between Spike and Vincent is great mostly due to the camerawork and the actual use of environment to make an engaging fight. The third is pure skill and the strengths of both parties comes out. I would love to know which animator did which scene. I know Yutaka Nakamura did the train fight sequence but I don't know if he did the Tower bit. The Tower fight looks very much like his style but I can't say for sure. That isn't what surprised me though during my rewatch. The aerial combat was the surprise for me as I didn't remember it being this good. I'm pretty sure this was Goto.

ioxkFOyq4n7Y3.gif

It reminded me that this is the studio that would later go on to down Eureka 7. Holy shit though, they nailed the speed and danger in fights like these with the obstructions.

I also should mention that I liked Kanno's work in this. When this kicked in during the aerial fight, I couldn't stop smiling. I'm not fond of the lyrics of the song that start at the Tower fight but the instrumental part works really well. When Kanno is on point though, she is on point.

I'm actually now a bit disappointed that Space Dandy is going to be a comedy. I want more Nakamura fight sequences. Based Nakamura.

Oh and gifcam sucks for high speed gifs.

Lain

Chihayafuru 2 17

As usual, a pretty great episode. I didn't expect to see them struggle so much, though probably I should have. Chihaya
getting injured
on one hand is disappointing, but on the other shows how much she really loves karuta. She won't back down no matter what.
I'm really curious to see how this ends.

Railgun S 3-4

I can always count on J.C. Staff to bring me some cool Index/Railgun show. Seeing the whole sister affair and how Misaka got to find out about it is interesting, though what I'm really hoping to see is what the OP hints at.

cjkeats

I second that notion.

LOOOOL.

One of the funniest shows ever.
You will likely enjoy this one. Yamada is so conflicted XD

Purest Yamada is hilarious. One of Yukari Tamura's best roles.

Glad to see I chose well. I'm excited to contiune.

OreImo S2 Ep 5

This was fun. Kirino gagging made me laugh out loud. But fuck another cliffhanger. They're gonna keep doing this aren't they? Goddammit.

Either way, looks like we're getting into the stuff from the light novels I was waiting for. My tears are ready.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Space Brothers 56

So, when people point to why I still watch shows that I get a little tired of or aren't enjoying perfectly, this is an episode that I can point to where I can say the slog through the last 10 episodes (including the recaps) is worth it because of how well the episode is done.

I'm still willing to be surprised when I'm watching a show where I feel like I've got a handle on things and this episode is probably the best the show has been in a long time. Fucking bravo.

In terms of the episode,
the "twist" with Pico right at the end was really the part that got me, because it's even worse than what you are made to expect based on how you believe these stories will go.

Now, there are things that are still on the nose,
like Mutta basically talking to Pico with his speech to his team about failure (even in Japan, men aren't allowed to express feelings of sympathy, empathy or compassion toward each other I suppose)
, but the good outweighed the bad.

At the very least, I liked
how Brian Jay was used in this instance over how it was used with Nanba anyway. The ghost of this character has been used well, and I applaud the mangaka for planting the seeds of this arc long in advance instead of just using the tragedy as a plot beat to scare the astronaut-candidates during the selection phase

I still think it's weird how language works in the show though. I assume they're all speaking English for the benefit of Amanti and Pico, but I have no idea. Do they switch to Japanese when they're just alone with each other? I shouldn't have to think about something silly like that when I watch a show.

7Th

Gatchaman Crowds
The Sun Penetrates the Illusions
Love Lab
Kiniro Mosaic
C3 Club
Futari wa Milky Holmes
Silver Spoon
A Town Where you RAGE
Tamayura 2

Not a bad season, I guess.

Neptunia
Servant x Service
Blood Lad
Uchoten Kazoku
Danganronpa: The Animation
Fate/ Magical Girl Ilya
Futari Milky Holmes
Hakkenden S2
Teekyu S2
Genshiken 2
FREE
Silver Spoon
Senyuu S2
Brothers Complex

Yay summer.

Neptunia
Symphogear S2
Monogatari Second Season
Blood Lad
The joke is that the little brother is big and the older sister is small S3
High School Double Ds
RKB S2
Genshiken S3
TWGOK S3
Watamote

Will probably add more before summer starts but these are definite pick ups.

Soma

Most hyped for Silver Spoon. Been getting my friends into the manga and they seem to be enjoying it too.

Other than that,

- Monogatari S2
- Teekyuu S2
- C3 Club
- Gatchaman Crowds

About it for now until I pick up other stuff based on positive impressions.

oh...

For some reason I thought Uchouten Kazoku would be a movie and not a tv series.

Uchouten Kazoku
Silver Spoon
Monogatari
Teekyu
Gainax's airsoft show

and maybe Free! and the BGBW show.

Conan-san

Too afraid to like anything because Japan will push it back (or forward, in the case of Free, because heaven forbid we ever get a conclusion to FMP)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A Town Where You Rage is close enough
If the girl doesn't have dead eyes, it doesn't count!

RIP Amnesia and UtaPri.

You didn't like Tsuritama? Gatchaman Crowds is by the exact same staff...
Oh is it? I guess I'll check that out then.

I mean, I suppose I should like Free as well, but it's such an unknown quantity and the fact that it's a sports show is almost a knock against it in my experience.

Narag

Symphgear
Gatchaman Crowds

May attempt RKB and Recorder & Randsell to serve as a cautionary tale for others, depends on how much I hate myself at the time.

Servant x Service and C³-Bu sound interesting, but nothing else seems to be jumping at me at the moment. Will have to see more of them before I judge though.

What I'm keeping my eye on in summer:

- Gatchaman Crowds: Nakamura and his Tsuritama team. Very curious to see how the character designs will look in motion.

- Silver Spoon: Heard so many great things about the manga; hopefully the anime will be able to capture that.

- Kimi no Iru Machi: Just to see what crazy storyboards Yamauchi pulls out.

- Rozen Maiden: Curious if Hatakeyama/Omata will bring anything interesting to the table.

- Servant X Service: I liked Working'!!. The government office setting is unique.

- Monogatari S2: If it's more like Bake than Nise. But I really just want Kizu.

- Fantasista Doll: I don't know.

- Blood Lad: Kind of like the manga.

- Uchouten Kazoku: From the author of Tatami Galaxy.

- Danganronpa: Kishi is a director I'm skeptical about, and game adaptations are always problematic, but hopefully the show can retain of little of what makes it awesome. There'll be a great Miyuki Sawashiro performance to look forward to, at any rate.

If I get around to watching the first season and like it:
Genshiken
Hakkenden
Senyuu
Tamayura ~More Aggressive~ (What kind of subtitle is that?)
Teekyuu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom