• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

Will probably watch Chuu2 2: Electric Chuugaloo because surely they've gotten the terrible drama out of their systems and will stay as the relatively decent slice of life comedy that was in the first half of S1...

...right?

duckroll

I'm going to bet for Kyoukai in Fall and Chuu2 in winter/spring.

I don't think that's going to happen personally. Free! is Summer. Chuu2 will probably be Fall. The only announcement made for Kyoukai is that an anime production is planned. Nothing concrete in magazines or from Kyoto Animation. This could mean that they only just got the greenlight for it, and we won't see an actual proper announcement for another year or more.

This is not uncommon for adaptations, where you see "Anime Adaptation Decided!" being announced on the light novel or manga sleeve, with no new details for another year.

Ef a tale of memories

mKfWuqK.jpg

eMnUtWh.jpg

XvBuAsh.jpg

I love the artstyle of this, its artsy and visually stunning, but the plot is just terrible.

Quasar

Watched the OVA/Episode 13 of Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate. Even more slight than I expected. On the upside it did have more Satsuki who was adorable. Sadly non of her sister though.

Shergal

I don't think that's going to happen personally. Free! is Summer. Chuu2 will probably be Fall. The only announcement made for Kyoukai is that an anime production is planned. Nothing concrete in magazines or from Kyoto Animation. This could mean that they only just got the greenlight for it, and we won't see an actual proper announcement for another year or more.

This is not uncommon for adaptations, where you see "Anime Adaptation Decided!" being announced on the light novel or manga sleeve, with no new details for another year.

That makes sense, but I think if they just got the greenlight for it, the director and character designer wouldn't be so absent from recent Kyoani shows. If we use the average Kyoani schedules as a basis, a considerable amount of pre-production should have happened already (I'd go further and say that storyboards are already being made, but that's more unlikely).
Perhaps you're right and Chuu2 airs in Fall; if they're already promoting it in magazines, and being a sequel not needing much pre-production time, it seems plausible. But I think Kyoukai should be getting more info relatively soon.

EDIT: There's also the chance that Ishidate and Kamoi appearing little recently is a coincidence, and they might not even be helming the show. I think that's not very likely, but I could be wrong.

duckroll

That makes sense, but I think if they just got the greenlight for it, the director and character designer wouldn't be so absent from recent Kyoani shows.

Ishidate and Kamoi are definitely working on the show, but they haven't really been absent. Ishidate worked on a bunch of Hyouka episodes, and he worked on Chuu2 and Tamako Market too. Kamoi worked on Chuu2 and Hyouka as well. Where's the disappearance?

Shergal

Ishidate and Kamoi are definitely working on the show, but they haven't really been absent. Ishidate worked on a bunch of Hyouka episodes, and he worked on Chuu2 and Tamako Market too. Kamoi worked on Chuu2 and Hyouka as well. Where's the disappearance?

Kamoi is an upcoming young AD, and she didn't do any AD work for Tamako. A bunch of Key animation for episodes 1-2 and 8 is all she did. She supervised one Chuu2 episode and one Hyouka episode, but she did two for Nichijou. Not "absent" in the sense that she flat-out didn't work on it, but she wasn't prominently featured in it.

Ishidate directed three Hyouka episodes, I think two Nichijou episodes and was asst. director on that one, but only one for Chuu2, and he only did enshutsu work in Tamako, with a storyboard that wasn't his and along with Ishihara in the credits. Besides some KA for the OP and a couple of episodes (and they weren't long or demanding cuts either).

Even Yamada directed the ED for Chuu2 just before Tamako, she wasn't entirely absent (but of course she had very little presence in it). Kazumi Ikeda wasn't entirely absent in Hyouka either, just before her show aired.

duckroll

All that indicates is that trying to guess what KyoAni is actively producing based on who worked on what series is a waste of time. No one expected Tamako. It came out of nowhere. I don't think anyone expected Free to be a Summer show either. All their staff are always working on everything which is in production, while other things are in pre-production.

duckroll

I don't completely agree with that, but I digress.

Guess I'll just use the most surefire way of knowing: wait and see!

Well, let me put it another way. If not for the fact that Ishidate and Kamoi worked on the Kyoukai ad in the first place, would there be any sort of indication that they're leading a new series based on their recent involvement or lack thereof in other shows? I'll say no, because they could simply be working on episodes of some other stuff which have not been announced or broadcast yet.

KyoAni is an incredibly fluid studio, and because they have a lot of internal staff, everyone basically works on everything else. The only reason we know for a fact that Ishidate and Kamoi are the most likely candidates to be working on the series, is because they worked on the original ad. But that aside, it tells us nothing about how far this series could be in terms of production or pre-production.

There's also the likelihood that KyoAni completes their productions relatively early, especially for 1-cours shows, so even if they're working on the show now, if there isn't a Fall slot it won't air this year.

DiGiKerot

uuuh huuuh.

Suite Precure 36 part 2 END part 2

As for the OP, it contained movie spoilers, which will actually be the next thing to watch before continuing with the series, because APPARENTLY it is actually relevant (or chronologically) slotted between 36 and 37, so it's like a transitional movie or something.

Oh, man, the Suite Precure movie is the worst thing.

Articalys

Looks like Newtype also has also a staff confirmation and key visual for previously announced light novel adaptation *takes a breath* Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shushoku wo Ketsui Shimashita. (I Didn't Become A Hero, So I Reluctantly Looked For A Part-Time Job). The plot summary, if you've (likely, as I did) forgotten about it:
The story takes place in a fantasy world where the northern land of a continent has been ruled by a demon lord. People who are qualified to be "Heroes" by a national exam are sent to combat the demons. Raul Chaser is the top student at the trade school for becoming a hero when the system is abolished after one of them actually defeats the demon lord. Struggling to find a job in the middle of the recession due to the fall of the demons' kingdom, he finally gets hired as a clerk at a small magic item shop. One day, an applicant for a part-time job visits his shop.

That applicant, Phino Bloodstone, is the daughter of the defeated demon lord.
Director: Kinji Yoshimoto (Genshiken 2, a few Queen's Blade series)
Series Composition: Masashi Suzuki (Oda Nobuna, Sacred Blacksmith)
Character Design: Tetsuya Takeuchi
Studio: Asread (Mirai Nikki)

Crunchyroll link if you want an English article source.

Shergal

Well, let me put it another way. If not for the fact that Ishidate and Kamoi worked on the Kyoukai ad in the first place, would there be any sort of indication that they're leading a new series based on their recent involvement or lack thereof in other shows? I'll say no, because they could simply be working on episodes of some other stuff which have not been announced or broadcast yet.

Yeah, but them working on the PV is the deciding factor!
Many animators and inbetweeners at the studio are probably less involved in some shows than in others, but the idea is looking at the ones that would be relevant, like established directors (I was expecting a Yamada show after Chuu2), or people that are almost confirmed to be helming an upcoming show (like in this case).
There's also the likelihood that KyoAni completes their productions relatively early, especially for 1-cours shows, so even if they're working on the show now, if there isn't a Fall slot it won't air this year.

This is interesting, and I was also wondering why the show would lack promotion by now if it were going to air in Fall. It does seem more likely that Chuu2 will air in Fall, while KnK is pushed back.

I personally wish for the opposite, I don't like Chuu2 ;_;

wonzo

Banned
Looks like Newtype also has also a staff confirmation and key visual for previously announced light novel adaptation *takes a breath* Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shushoku wo Ketsui Shimashita. (I Didn't Become A Hero, So I Reluctantly Looked For A Part-Time Job). The plot summary, if you've (likely, as I did) forgotten about it:

Director: Kinji Yoshimoto (Genshiken 2, a few Queen's Blade series)
Series Composition: Masashi Suzuki (Oda Nobuna, Sacred Blacksmith)
Character Design: Tetsuya Takeuchi
Studio: Asread (Mirai Nikki)
This is gonna be one "quality" work.

Articalys

Do you remember when the Kyoukai CM first aired? I know it was last year, but I don't remember when.
It was at least sometime on or before May 24, as that's the earlier YouTube upload of it that I can find right now. Will keep looking for a bit.

edit: earlier one from May 20, and an ANN article the next day said the CM started airing "this week", so it was basically mid-to-late May 2012.

edit2: okay, yeah, with Shergal's super-memory, it was indeed on May 20. (wish I could remember things like that...)

edit3: also, guess who was the first person to post about it on AnimeGAF?

duckroll

And they only confirmed that an anime was actually in production in April this year right? If that's the case, I think it's pretty likely that the PV was done as a pilot film to see what an anime would be like, and they've been working on pre-production for the actual show since then. A year of pre-production for a new show isn't unusual, since you'll have to plan the structure of the film, assemble the staff, write the scripts, have all the production designs done, etc.

If it's a 1-cours series, 6 months of production before it airs isn't unusual, at least a year if it's 2-cours or more. So I guess it could be a Fall show if they have a broadcast slot, but 2014 seems more likely. It seems like a realistic timeline to me. Moving from Chuu2 to Chuu2 S2 is probably a much faster turn around time, since it's just a follow up to an existing production.

I don't really know anything about the novels, but if this is a "big deal" action series for KyoAni, it might even be a Spring 2014 show rather than Winter.

Oh, apparently one of the spreads in Newtype is an outright confirmation of Chuunibyou season 2 (since the earlier teaser hinted heavily at it, but never explicitly said it was for a second season).

edit: and now the Chu2 twitter is hyping up an announcement on the official site at midnight tomorrow (Japan time), which in a world without Newtype leaks, would be a (still predictable) mystery.

Im definitely excited.

Steroyd

Doesnt really live up to the hype and sounds pretty dull. Beating rival after rival would have made it somewhat interesting so am baffled why they changed the focus.

I'm baffled on how you ever ended up watching Symphogear.

Aiura - 05

This short is weird, it feels like it's the first 5 minutes of a full length episode which just cuts off abruptly everytime.

cajunator

Banned
killerkill.jpg

IT'S FUKKEN REALLLLL

OMMMFFGgagagisyasgyadghiiygusaguiysa

This is awesome, except te character design looks meh.

What the hell is a crawfish pizza?

Pizza with crawfish on it, silly.

Oh, apparently one of the spreads in Newtype is an outright confirmation of Chuunibyou season 2 (since the earlier teaser hinted heavily at it, but never explicitly said it was for a second season).

edit: and now the Chu2 twitter is hyping up an announcement on the official site at midnight tomorrow (Japan time), which in a world without Newtype leaks, would be a (still predictable) mystery.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

More Rikka abuse! More Touka being a goddess!

Would you say the same thing if the rivals were dudes instead of girls?

Premise has a lot of similarities as Hayate x Blade, looking back on the summary.

Two female leads defeating male rivals, on paper, and with the character designs, I think I wouldnt watch it as it would be unappealing to me and kind of dull and the setting doesnt help it either. It'd be like focusing on the least interesting part of Medaka Box and making it the big picture focus :(

I'm baffled on how you ever ended up watching Symphogear.

Every season I just randomly pick one show thats just out of my interests to watch just to explore anime diversity. I guess I stuck with it because it had great action moments (explosions and lots of them) and music though it did get too yuri~ish at times.

I figured this would be the place to ask as I haven't followed anime in years, but recently the series Anohana caught my attention and it being a short series got me curious. Is it available on any streaming services such as Crunchyroll? Because those blu ray sets are far too much money for something I may not even like.

faridmon

My team is going to be shit and I can't do anything about it.

OreImo 2 Episode 5

I love Koreneko. That dress was so adorable. Another weak Episode, but she made it better than the previous Episodes.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
they look a little boring to me.
Maybe they will be better in motion.
smh
Pretty sure it's just a Gurren Lagann promo event. Aniplex almost never bothers waiting for "events" to release trailers. They just put them up on the site.
My F5 key is ready.
Premise has a lot of similarities as Hayate x Blade, looking back on the summary.

Two female leads defeating male rivals, on paper, and with the character designs, I think I wouldnt watch it as it would be unappealing to me and kind of dull and the setting doesnt help it either. It'd be like focusing on the least interesting part of Medaka Box and making it the big picture focus :(
So, if it were two male leads, it's wouldn't be unappealing and dull?

Theonik

Yami is an experience not to be missed.
Your life is now better having watched it.
I love how the literal explanation of one character is "she is a character that Lilith created and then forgot about". Explains some things.
ELEPHANT OATMEAL!!
The gift that keeps on giving.
It would have a lot more impact if I understood what was going on half of the time.

Oh!!!
Are you guys simulwatching god tier anime now?
Now this is more like it! Now yall are speaking my language.
Riding bean takes place in the same world as GSC.
Hell yes we are! And I know that about Riding Bean. It's how I got introduced to Gunsmith Cats in the first place.

Story details for KILL-LA-KILL:

RIVALS = LOVERS IN BATTLE MANGA; YURI CONFIRMED. SHOW OF THE YEAR, ALL YEARS.
JUST PUT IT IN MY VEINS PLEASE AAAAAAAAAAAA

Gargantia 5

Lololololol poor Leto. It's like Ed, Edd n Eddy running from the Kanker Sisters all day. Also isn't Amy a little young to be wearing a swim suit that constantly shows her butt crack? And MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMaybe I'll have to switch to Team Ridget here on out. Maybe.
Have you not seen the swimsuits teens are wearing these days? It's not that crazy lol.

This is awesome, except te character design looks meh.
What. It looks awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom