• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Maken-Ki! - 03

sFJDBdv.png
dmEvAtS.png

Heeeeeey~

Only took 2 episodes before getting a swimsuit one? That must be a new record. :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 66: Under The Golden Lion Flag

~ His Majesty is a poet. ~

Von Reuental and von Oberstein really can't stand eachother anymore. That's going to give fireworks in the future, definitely, unless Mittermeyer can somehow bridge the distance.
I love Bittenfeld's sheer enthusiasm in the war room. Looks like everybody else, including Reinhard, got dulled by the peaceful administrative reforms.
Keep em coming

Maken-Ki! - 03

Only took 2 episodes before getting a swimsuit one? That must be a new record. :lol

Maken-ki is a series about fanservice, sexism (the MC is one of the worst white knights in anime!), fanservice, action, sexism, and pretty much nothing else.

I actually preferred it over Samurai Girls
I presume because of its crazy fanservice-to-anything else level that exceeded even Samurai Girls'?

The horror.
The sexism was quite unpleasant, yes. Sure, most anime is like that to some degree, but Maken-Ki is so much WORSE than your average show in that regard!

FYC

Banned
I am now singing the OP. PI PIRUPIRUPIRU PI PIRUPIIIIIIIIIIIII (up a major 3rd) PI PIRUPIRUPIRU PI PIRUPIIIIIIIIIIIII

Oh god not again

I'm gonna go finish up Dragon Ball GT after stopping halfway through for a few months, I hope it's not too bad. I left off where
Goku turns SS4 for the first time
, hopefully some of the upcoming fights are a bit o' fun.

Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 2000% 06

Our new otome lead blushing at the pretty boy of the week and doing a jumping start to insert a CD causes everything to sparkle.

I am amazed at how our former otome lead barely did anything this week. At best she was the intermediate NPC of a fetch quest that leads the one item into the hands of someone more important.

duckroll

Kill La Kill Clean scans:

Interview translations from 4chan:
http://pastebin.com/jNceqyAj
http://pastebin.com/UWCFK2Bq
http://pastebin.com/9cDsZjET

Extracts:
Q: What sort of action do you want to do this time?
I: Hand-to-hand combat (or basically fighters literally throwing themselves at each other). We only had three episodes of that in TTGL. I've always wanted to do an all-out battle between characters with Nakajima at the helm (writing).
N: Yes, it's like the Yoko vs. Adiane fight (from the TTGL film) for the whole thing.

N: This is a work where you get the fun from a manga-movie kind of thing. In terms of Trigger, it's a work that'd express both the spirit of Inferno Cop and the imagination behind Little Witch Academia.
I: The spirit of Inferno Cop? Umm … it'd be better not to create misunderstandings (lel). Well, let's go with the FULL MIGHT OF TRIGGER.

Q: Now, we hear KLK has already entered production. What kind of action can we expect?
S: At the moment, I really want the animation to make people laugh, so I hope it'll be that kind of work. For example, I really like the ryokan car chase scene in "Lupin the Third: Fuuma Clan's Conspiracy", directed by Tanaka - and I want to make our characters more appealing through that kind of action.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 36

I can't decide which is funnier about Jared Messa: that he is the subject of constant pain and humiliation at the hands of an untrained boy who for all intents and purposes took up piloting a mobile suit on a whim/because of his girly name; or the absurd amount of ground he covers in spite of those injuries. In spite of being on crutches and getting shoved down a cliff, he makes it from the sick bay to Four's room to the science center to the cliff to the mobile suit hanger always moments BEFORE Kamile does.

Oh and Char is telling Kamile he needs to stop having feelings for women and instead do some fighting.

WHICH REMINDS ME. Back on the Zeon ship, Char got called a traitor and he was all "I'VE NEVER BETRAYED ANYONE IN MY LIFE!!!" Except . . . if he's never betrayed anyone, how do we justify his murdering Caecelia and Garma Zabi? Hell, Caecelia he can justify I guess because she was no one to him and just another part of the Zabis that took away his father, but what about Garma? THEY WERE LOVERS FRIENDS, WEREN'T THEY?

You have to be kidding me. YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME. I mean, I know this was bound to happen here, but I still can't believe
they brought Four back just to kill her off again.
Oh, well, still better than Shinn and Stella.

Yes! Pretty Cure 5! GoGo 36

Today's episode is brought to you by trolling

So they win a shot on Five de Chance for a year supply of Chocolate and their names engraved on a trophy. But Karen don't wanna, so Milk saves the day (btw this isn't an audition for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure)

But hay, it's hosted by NIGHTMARE! So cheating is involved. Today's victims in this two parter episode is Rin, Komachi and Nozomi.

It's like a wet dream of trolling, along with Nozomi being treated like an idiot.
Rin had to get 100 points in her game, unfortunately the Goal post moved, it blocked soccer balls with its hands, and to top it off, it hits her final shot back at her... with a Bat. Komachi was trolled by a moving buzzer. Nozomi was a Guess the Shadow game since it was simple enough for her. Too bad the shadows were actually Hoshinas dressed up as the objects. The final one however, was not a Hoshina dressed up as a Penguin

WHAT WILL OUR HEROES DO!? CAN THEY RETURN HOME?! Why so much trolling? I needed this after dealing with the shit that was the Suite movie... and 35/36. It's like the only bright spot in today's Precure (because if I do watch more, it will just be awful).

cajunator

Banned
I wonder how long(hehh) it'll be until Oniichan no Koto ga Suki Sugite Nyan Nyan Shitai Burakon Imouto dakedo Sunao ni Narenai no (I love big brother very much so I'll be nyan-nyan, and I can't be honest even though I'm a little sister with a brocon) gets an anime of its own.

...god damn.
I want this to happen.

Well, I have to do a bit of self promotion these days but I do have to say this is pretty much the end for me on this thread. Not that it is fun or anything - but I have to move on. I don't want to stay in a place like I said before that considers me "crazy" for saying I believe animation is the greatest thing since the space program. I was personally offended, quite honestly and unlike that poster who made those comments - I will keep my personal opinions about him to myself.

That being said I have two links to show you folks. Their both from Jerry Becks site and the both deal with the thread at hand:

Fred Patten on Outrageous Anime: http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/outrageous-anime/
And Charles Brubaker on the Little Lulu anime (1970's) http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/little-lulu-anime/

They do a anime topic every two weeks or so. Tends to be more historical.

But that's what I am, a historian - and I don't like what I see. Its sad to see it happen this way but what can I do?

These days im doing other things, Toonami Gaf Podcast may be down for now but that doesn't mean to sit down and do nothing (im always busy) so im doing a few other things - like the new podcast toontrends for one, and will be doing work for that new fangled Medium website as well as another site I will mention soon. I also am trying to get TV production set up for the future - and maybe do something similar to what Axe Cop is doing not just for little kids but for older kids as well.

I feel that the very latter is the only way animation will survive the coming trials. If animation is going to be pigeonholed back in to a children's "ghetto" as it were, at least get children to WRITE or better yet storyboard for animation/cartooning? And not Saban or Kahn, or PedoCrunchy to dictate where the business will go. That's a joke and it cannot continue.

So I leave you guys to your fawning. Whenever the dude wants to get a western animation thread up in OT ill be the first one there. But now, ill be lurking here on the thread and make silly comments about CBS and Les Moonves - on that TV Pilot board - and hell I might even do some cheering for Sony for E3. Ill be everywhere but here.

Be Seeing You.

So long, Space Cowboy.
I will miss your unique perspective.

The re-release (50,000 yen) is half the price of the original BD set (100,000), at least.

I'll post this again for any newcomers.
http://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/66436562#66437900

Thats pretty cheap!!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I can't believe it's taken me this long to realize that Emi in Maou-sama is also Mio from K-On!

It's made even worse by the fact that I started K-On! right around the same time that Maou-sama started airing. I've been hearing her as both characters on a regular basis for the past six weeks!

Didn't seem much different to any other haremy ecchi type show to me.
It is worse. Oh yes, is it far, far worse. As I said, the MC is an AMAZINGLY stupid, unbelievably dedicatedly sexist white knight. Most harem anime characters don't get near his level.

I had less of a problem with Shirou's whiteknighting in FSN than the lead in Maken.
Hah... yeah, they're definitely the top two on my list of most annoyingly sexist white knights in tv anime. Which one's worse, though? That is hard to say... maybe Shirou, but it's close. FSN has some other characters which are actually decent, but Shirou defintiely is not one of them. And yeah, I know he's not quite as bad in the other stories that aren't in the anime, but still, the moronic white-knighting is a key part of his character.

Really, I had a big problem with the white-knighting in both cases. It'd be hard to choose which I hated more because of it... maybe FSN because it actually had some potential to be good, apart from that stuff, while Maken-Ki never really did, but just looking at the main characters alone... you might even be right, but I don't know if I can choose. They're both so horribly bad.

Jintor

I can't believe it's taken me this long to realize that Emi in Maou-sama is also Mio from K-On!

It's made even worse by the fact that I started K-On! right around the same time that Maou-sama started airing. I've been hearing her as both characters on a regular basis for the past six weeks!

Oh lol I thought I was smart for figuring out she was Shino in SYD too! AHH MIO YOU'RE EVERWHERE

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Kill La Kill will revolutionize anime and set the new standard. I can't fucking wait!

Quasar

It is worse. Oh yes, is it far, far worse. As I said, the MC is an AMAZINGLY stupid, unbelievably dedicatedly sexist white knight. Most harem anime characters don't get near his level.

See the only thing I really recall is his whole notion of not wanting girls to fight. Which is a pretty silly attitude to take in-universe. He pretty much relies on them to protect him right through the whole first season.

CorvoSol

Azumanga Daioh 26

I cried. It was hilarious, but I cried. Frickin' memories of my own graduation, and reflection on what I've done between then and now, and knowing that while I'm still really good friends with some of my high school friends, I've lost touch with others, and worse in one case. DAMN YOU AZUMANGA DAIOH AND YOUR HITTING ME IN THE FEELS.

During the series I always see myself as Tomo, 'cuz that's how I was in High School: the jerkass-idiot-hyperactive-loud-mouth-friend. In this one episode I make an exception, though. At Graduation I was definitely Chiyo. BAWLED. I was talking about this the other day with my best friends, how I got all emotional when I wrote in their yearbooks back then, and they were all like "Dude, what?" and yeah I'm rambling but FEELS.

I think my tastes have shifted a bit since I first watched this show. When I was a kid, Sakaki was the best girl (and she still basically is, with Yomi in a strong second), HOWEVER, Ms. Yukari has definitely since become my jam. MMMMMMM Ms. Yukari!

I wish there had been a follow up, like an episode set a year or two after to see how the girls are getting on, but well, I guess that's that. Next non-mecha show I'm watching will be SLAYERS, so we'll see how that goes. I've never made it past like, NEXT or TRY, I don't remember.

wonzo

Banned
Hair Smut 6

hairsmut6.jpg

There really wasn't much smut in this ep by the shows standards (outside of the shoe licking) but it had some nicely animated fighting to make up for it. I'll admit I cringed when
Kiri cut Romio's cheeck from the edge of his mouth like that.

sleepykyo

Basically most of the IS cast treat Ichika as if he were the sole owner of the last known dick in the entire world.

Well, he kind of is for the purpose of the series unless the students plan on shagging the janitor. I guess I could get back to watching the series.

Infinite Stratos 09

*links may be nsfw*
Beach episode! And I was wondering when that would be! It was surprisingly fun though. The scene in the beginning was genuinely funny. She has a serious case of voice not matching the person...
Edit: Oh I guess that was pica-tan too. Eh..

I guess I also owe you waifu rankings at this point right?
France~=Germany>Chifune>Japan>China>>>>>>>England

I'd move Chifune to the top. Otherwise, I'd agree. Cecilia is the reason I didn't finish the series.

Rewatching Maou-sama 5. Did anyone else cringe when
Emi dove to catch Chiho and there was just a sickening crunch that I can only assume was her legs snapping under the pressure
? Man. Brutal.

On second thought, rewatching Maou does seem like a better choice than completing IS.

CorvoSol

Betterman 18

This was something straight out of The Walking Dead. Keita and Hinoki go to investigate some building and the rest of the crew is infected with a chemical that makes you want to eat flesh. Kaede and Sho escape because Sho is 100% grade A badass, and then some cryptic dialogue occurs. Oh and I guess Keita tried to rape Hinoki in the woods. COMEDY.

duckroll

Looking at the clean scans for Kill La Kill, I clearly messed up the synopsis really badly yesterday. Ryuuko is the 17 year old transfer student, not Satsuki. Satsuki is one year older (18) and the student council president at the school where power overcomes all. She controls everyone with her might because her uniform gives her the power of conquest. Ryuuko transfers to the school because she's on a journey looking for the owner of the other half of her giant scissors-sword thing, so she can take revenge for something in her past.

Quasar

I'd move Chifune to the top. Otherwise, I'd agree. Cecilia is the reason I didn't finish the series.

Its interesting. I always found her fine, whereas I didn't like miss China and found Charlotte totally meh. I'm obviously in the minority, especially on that last point.

CorvoSol

The Vision of Escaflowne 17

Dude, Beautiful Sephiroth's father's explanation was pretty terrible. "I left your mother to die of loneliness and abandoned you to a lifetime of bitterness because I married your mother and had you and your sister out of duty. But I swear I loved your mother! I just abandoned her because I only married her out of duty and all!"

Which was it, dude? Did you or did you not love your family?

At least Balgus' ghost was straightforward: "fight war to be free of war!" DAMMIT ANIME THIS NEVER WORKS.

Okay, so at least Hitomi's gramma wasn't crazy.

CorvoSol

Code Geass 14

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. WOW WHAT A LOAD OF BULL. AHAHAHAHAHA. That's so completely, totally, and hilariously unnecessarily melodramatic.
Lelouch erasing Shirley's memories
has to be the sloppiest move he has EVER made.
Why erase ALL of them? Why not JUST erase the ones pertaining to you know, the past few days?
I mean instead of cleaning this mess up, he's just made a HUGE red flag. People ARE GOING TO ASK YOU QUESTIONS. I cannot think of a good reason for it beyond bullshit melodrama, because that's what the end of this episode amounts to. There was no good reason for it beyond that. What a damned either way situation the writers got themselves into there. It would've been shit to hit the reset button and just go back to the way things were, although it would've been a hell of a lot better than this ridiculous
"you don't remember YOUR ENTIRE LIFE."
He could've killed her, but that's basically what he did here anyway.

It's a huge and stupid mess and if it doesn't come back to bite Lelouch in the ass I'll be pretty disappointed. Shame, too, because things were going pretty well in this show until now.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Nadia 5
This... this isn't a kids show!
It's a show for kids who aren't afraid of seeing a little violence. THE NINETIES
Looking at the clean scans for Kill La Kill, I clearly messed up the synopsis really badly yesterday. Ryuuko is the 17 year old transfer student, not Satsuki. Satsuki is one year older (18) and the student council president at the school where power overcomes all.
If it cannot break out of its shell, the chick will die without ever being born.

sonicmj1

Code Geass 14

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. WOW WHAT A LOAD OF BULL. AHAHAHAHAHA. That's so completely, totally, and hilariously unnecessarily melodramatic.
Lelouch erasing Shirley's memories
has to be the sloppiest move he has EVER made.
Why erase ALL of them? Why not JUST erase the ones pertaining to you know, the past few days?
I mean instead of cleaning this mess up, he's just made a HUGE red flag. People ARE GOING TO ASK YOU QUESTIONS. I cannot think of a good reason for it beyond bullshit melodrama, because that's what the end of this episode amounts to. There was no good reason for it beyond that. What a damned either way situation the writers got themselves into there. It would've been shit to hit the reset button and just go back to the way things were, although it would've been a hell of a lot better than this ridiculous
"you don't remember YOUR ENTIRE LIFE."
He could've killed her, but that's basically what he did here anyway.

It's a huge and stupid mess and if it doesn't come back to bite Lelouch in the ass I'll be pretty disappointed. Shame, too, because things were going pretty well in this show until now.

I may not be remembering correctly, but I'm pretty sure that
he only erased all her memories relating to him, instead of turning her into a complete amnesiac.
Which comes with its own problems, of course.

I mean, I guess you'll see for yourself next episode.

CorvoSol

I may not be remembering correctly, but I'm pretty sure that
he only erased all her memories relating to him, instead of turning her into a complete amnesiac.
Which comes with its own problems, of course.

I mean, I guess you'll see for yourself next episode.

Either way, though, it was a sloppy and careless move. All he needed to do was go
You will never remember or know that I am Zero.
and boom, no more problem. Instead he creates a HUGE problem for himself in an unnecessarily dramatic way. It's angst for angst's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom