• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chocotan

KVhCCiK.jpg

CorvoSol

Majestic Prince 6

Majestic Prince is, without a doubt, the worst of the three mecha anime I've picked up this season (the other two being Valvrave and Gargantia), although it is more original than Valvrave, I'll grant, but what it DOES have is the best OP of the three. Gargantia, ironically, has the worst OP of the lot.

Guh can't stand Suruga and Tamaki. Not really sure why, since they're no less characters than Izuru, Asagi and Kei. Something about them just disgusts me, though. Well, I guess with Tamaki it's clearer why (she's a blob of no worth who isn't a tenth as funny as the writers want her to be) but Suruga, I think his design just irks me.

I wish Hirai would conclude that all his characters are ugly, because he draws ugly people with much greater variation in the face than his pretty people, who all have large eyes and a nasal slit.

Does Tamaki really say "Stoopy-poopy-doopy head"? Cuz that is like the worst thing I've ever seen written.

AND I should clarify that while S1 is a rewatch of Slayers for me, there will be a lot that might as well be new, especially after the introduction of Xellos.

Theonik

Valvrave the Singernator 05
I give them about a week before they starve to death. Also pohlitiks. And singing slapkuga.
This show really has it all.
OMG there is more VVVs OH GOD THAT ENDING I'M DYING. "Is this sex?"
AAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH
*dead*

Mr.Jeff

Yellow is the only choice since the other two are hand puppets anyway.
Nakama. There's something I really dig about Yellow. Although pink is slightly growing on me. Though this is all pointless since I've yet to watch more than one episode.
I bought every season of it without even seeing half of them because the first ones were so great. It was probably a mistake.
Slayers is amazing up until the Revolution series where it's just a sad mistake. Oh and that point in one of the later (older) series when they decide to bring back Goury's other love interest. Awful character.

CorvoSol

Nakama. There's something I really dig about Yellow. Although pink is slightly growing on me. Though this is all pointless since I've yet to watch more than one episode.

Slayers is amazing up until the Revolution series where it's just a sad mistake. Oh and that point in one of the later (older) series when they decide to bring back Goury's other love interest. Awful character.

Philiel? Yeah she was kinda lame, come to think of it.

Mature

But I have Freedom and Honneamise on Bluray and don't care for the Borne Trilogy.

Honestly, I'd sooner buy a VCR or Laserdisc player than a HD-DVD player.
<3 Laserdisc. I grew up watching Laserdiscs. At Anime-Expo last year they had a late night laserdisc marathon with all sorts of old shows— some of them even raw. It was awesome.

He should watch Space Runaway Ideon!
I've been making my way through this slowly on my phone. It's kind of funny.

Mr.Jeff

I seem to recall it started off alright in theory and then it decided to add a mascot animal character thing voiced by Naruto's VA and I just switched off and never looked back.

It all goes downhill with mascot characters. Well, except in Aria of course.

Philiel? Yeah she was kinda lame, come to think of it.
Well it was just kinda jarring atfer the previous seasons where
she wasn't involved much if at all and Goury and Lina were clearly getting shit on and then she reappears and kinda goes "Hey, remember me, your childhood sweetheart and fiancé? How's it going here?". Unecessary.
It doesn't help that I have a serious grudge against characters like that.

I don't really mind her, mostly for the Fire Carrots.

Whats wrong with Slayers REvolution? Im just curious what they could have messed up so badly that makes people loathe it?

Adding a bratty mascot doesn't do it favors.

Theonik

Memories 03 - Canon Fodder
Kinda lame compared to the other two. Didn't like the 3Dish way they did the backgrounds.
Some decent mechanical animation though.
Overall wasn't a huge fan.

I think they're pretty good. I haven't played Megaman X in quite a few years but even songs like that one I like. There was a comment in that Guile video something like "Even eight bearded guys goes well with the Guile theme" which got a bunch of thumbs ups but I don't see it. It looks like maybe it got removed or buried somehow.

Yeah, despite having never played Touhou, I still listened to his video of Flandre's Theme and enjoyed it.

cajunator

Banned
Memories 03 - Canon Fodder
Kinda lame compared to the other two. Didn't like the 3Dish way they did the backgrounds.
Some decent mechanical animation though.
Overall wasn't a huge fan.

That whole episode was filmed in one take I think. Pretty impressive if true.

Suite Precure 48 True END

IT'S FINALLY OVER

2QKHq.gif

I've ended yet another series, with Smile being the last batter in this overly long franchise run. Now then

Final Death Toll:
Zero

And so Hummy was reawakened by the girls singing and connecting with her dreams, and everything returns to normal. Trio the Minor became the Three Musketeers again, everything is honky dori right?

Errr I don't know. I have to say that the handling of main characters was pretty bad. Ellen's chance to grow was syphoned the moment Hibiki came back into spot light and then depleted once
Ako
joined. Cure Muse's handling herself was pretty bad throughout the series, considering she was introduced as a Tuxedo Mask like character, and showing up very frequently at that. In any case, yeah, Ellen does get the short end of the stick in the Post Precure area, since most of her evil character was covered before hand, but it feels bad that her individual traits sort of wash out as the series got closer to ending. And in a way, there was a bit less individuality towards the end.

Side characters were fine for the most part. The beginning was a rather nice change of pace with having two characters fighting for some time, and became closer with each other. Although Waon and Seika get the short of the stick. Having them as Cures would've truly made this a HaremCure. But I digress. The First half was enjoyable, and everything on Ellen was good until her spotlight shift went away. Did not care for Cure Muse, and Hibiki really keeps the spotlight, but she's showing she's a main Cure Leader at least.

Music wasn't that great, so they basically reused some of Heartcatch's music to make up for it. Its biggest crime was using one of its tracks for Cure Muse. She's not good enough for that.

Gonna shorten this up now. The handling of main characters was bad after the first half of the show, the music wasn't that great, and I do think some of the plot points were rather... stupid. It wasn't too bad for the most part but the last portion of the anime just sours some of the experience :/

Final Cure Rating

Beat > Melody > Rhythm >>>>>>>>>>>>>Muse

Anyone watch(ed) Natsume Yuuchinchou?

I'm going through the anime slowly because I don't want it to end. It's so happy and sad and endearing all at the same time.

Typically I watch anime dubbed, but I actually like the sub a lot. Nyanko-sensei just has the cutest voice, and Natsume himself has a good one too.
I love natsume .
It's one of those character you can relate in his adventures and his encounters.
The fact that he slowly evolve during teh serie in such a good way is even better.
I mean everyone want to either spend time with him or eat him. EVERYONE ( sometimes it's both )
Natsume_dvd_06.jpg

Well everyone indeed
It doesn't help that the cat is some excellent character either.
It's a lovable anime. Can't wait to be able to buy S4 in blu-ray.
Where is my S5 , japan ?

Enjoy your 8 Wolfruns and 2 Reikas.
WHAT ???
i bet all of you wouldn't mind
Next > S1 > Try > everything else

Sorry Naga fans.
Pretty much
Whats wrong with Slayers REvolution? Im just curious what they could have messed up so badly that makes people loathe it?

A new character named pokota, nothing funny. Plot that went nowhere.
It just wasn't fun to watch , even with a glorious xellos.

Suite Precure 48 True END

Final Cure Rating

Beat > Melody > Rhythm >>>>>>>>>>>>>Muse

Correct

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Anyone watch(ed) Natsume Yuuchinchou?

I'm going through the anime slowly because I don't want it to end. It's so happy and sad and endearing all at the same time.

Typically I watch anime dubbed, but I actually like the sub a lot. Nyanko-sensei just has the cutest voice, and Natsume himself has a good one too.

Natsume is a great anime.

Hopefully it never does end.

I know close to nothing about Bleach, but it always seemed to me, from what little I caught, that instead of writing a plot they just added more characters. There's so many characters.

Yeah, that's basically how the series goes. Constant character introductions with pretty much no plot. No one ever accused Kubo of being a competent writer (
or artist
).

CorvoSol

Valvrave 6

1. You don't enforce politics. You enforce laws, you enforce legislation, edicts, social norms whatever, but you don't enforce politics. That doesn't even make sense. Why doesn't anime understand how social science works at all?

2. On that note, Valvrave is like some kind of pseudo anti Lord of the Flies. Instead of becoming hell, a society run by children is apparently a utopia? Okie dokie then.

3. WHY IN GOD'S NAME DID THEY LEAVE L-ELF TO ROAM FREE?

4.Where does Not-Milly get off chewing out Shoko? She was all well and good with this, knowing the risks when she went into it! Oh well, at least the tenuous political power Shoko held is crumbling already.

This show has the weirdest sense of the usefulness of propaganda, and that's why I keep coming back. I cannot wait for the happy-go-lucky veneer of a cheerful world that Haruto and Shoko have carefully built to be peeled back like so much skin from an onion. I still think things'd've been better with
Shoko dead
, but if they do that again later, I might welcome it all the same.

Ugh, and if L-Elf becomes the white-haired pretty boy who accomplishes all these things, I might care. No wait, I won't, because fuck, L-Elf is the second worst character in the show, right after the shitacular Q-Vier. And in case there's any poor soul out there who cares, the reason I hate L-Elf, and I grant that we're 6 episodes in and there's time enough to change all this, is because he's so by the book. At least Haruto has shown, however briefly, that there's more to him than the kind hearted hero exterior
specifically the murderous, cold-hearted bastard he became when Shoko died, and now the jealous, doesn't-want-to-share the limelight guy who is going to keep a secret the number of Valvraves hidden down here.
L-Elf, meanwhile, is just a cut and paste white haired pretty boy ace pilot bad guy who has nothing unique nor defining about him.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
A-Channel 1

Figured I might as well get around to watching this. It's pretty :cajun, with some :sdburton mixed in. Tooru reminds me a lot of Tsumiki from Acchi Kocchi. Not bad so far, though there's nothing about it that particularly stands out either.

cajunator

Banned
A-Channel 1

Figured I might as well get around to watching this. It's pretty :cajun, with some :sdburton mixed in. Tooru reminds me a lot of Tsumiki from Acchi Kocchi. Not bad so far, though there's nothing about it that particularly stands out either.

it was a pleasant surprise when I purchased this show. I knew nothing about it but Im glad I watched it!

Mature

@Theonik (Not gonna quote because spoilers)

Is the first movie a suitable replacement for the TV series? Or does the series come recommended?

Theonik

@Theonik (Not gonna quote because spoilers)

Is the first movie a suitable replacement for the TV series? Or does the series come recommended?
Don't worry about spoilers, it just says I haven't watched it yet but I'd probably go for the film, not knowing if that's wise or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom