• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Uh... I guess. Though this time around I'd probably want to ask the people who run the GOTY polls about if I can borrow their automated vote collecting scripts (and/or how they work in the first place), since it would make things a LOT easier. Still would want to wait until July to actually do the voting though, since 1) it would be right after another season break, which just feels nicer, and 2) for the style of the aforementioned anniversary reasons.

Sounds good. The old list is somewhat antiquated now and it would be interesting to see some changes in it due to the size of AnimeGAF now.

Narag

From the show Breaking Bad. Also played the dad in Malcolm in the Middle.

Don't forget:
LN0L9gi.png

Syrinx

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 5

Damn. Homura does not mince words or sugar coat things, does she? It's a bit upsetting to hear what she has to say...but at the same time she looks like she's being totally honest. She's seen and experienced enough to make these assessments as to what's going to happen. Everything's she's said so far has come to pass, so when she tells Madoka that
Sayaka's kindness and spirit will be her own undoing and that Madoka should just give up on her now, it's a premonition of sorts. I'm inclined to think that this show will not end happily for Sayaka.

And she certainly seems to be right early on.
Sayaka gets her ass kicked by that other magical girl, and would have been killed by her had Homura not stepped in.

I guess my only question about her is, what's her obsession with Madoka? Why has she taken such an interest in her? How did she know who she even was?
I wager it has something to do with Madoka's dream in the first episode, but I'm not sure.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 5

I guess my only question about her is, what's her obsession with Madoka? Why has she taken such an interest in her? How did she know who she even was?

Surprisingly more insightful than most speculation on this show, you're definitely asking the right questions.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
DokiDoki! Precure - 11

JElIwjy.jpg
DqJr1nq.jpg

Mana sure knows how to sweettalk!

So the girls
get new powers
which were basically the same move they had before. I'm getting Fresh Precure flashbacks. :lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Gargantia 06:

As much as I want to be angry at the show for having two consecutive fanservice-heavy episodes, it hit me in one of my weaknesses: arabian dancer costumes. I'm filled with the strangest mix of disappointment and extreme gratitude right now, and I don't know how to resolve this.

That said, even if the way that the dance was shoehorned into the episode was inherently dumb (festival? what festival? They're just working as entertainers in some dingy restaurant), perhaps I'm losing sight of how free of titillating content Gargantia is due to the past two episodes heavily incorporating it. I mean, the female character designs are pretty obviously engineered for appeal to a male audience--lots of cleavage (where applicable), short skirts/shorts, blush in improbable places to emphasize how "ripe" the girls are, and a visible navel seems to be the law for females in Gargantian society. I don't necessarily think that this is the primary influence upon character design, but it is an influence nonetheless.

To the show's credit I think that in a vacuum the female character designs do a fair job of conveying the sense that this is simply cultural dress born of life on a really really fucking hot piece of metal and that the Gargantian culture has different standards of decency, but the show hasn't really done anything to sell this angle, and it doesn't help when male characters are typically in boring tank tops and pants without any of the artistry, ornamentation, or implicit heat-deterrent design of the female garb. In order to sustain the idea that Gargantia's female costumes are a natural consequence of cultural evolution, some of the aspects of female dress need to be reflected in male dress; as it stands, there's no sense of cultural cohesion and it feels inconsistent.

Of course, none of this is meant to argue that the presence of titillating fanservice content in this episode wasn't more egregious and intrusive, because it was. Perhaps the interjection of undulating bodies into the restaurant scene was at least partially meant to serve some visual purpose in addition otaku bonerzz--I can't discount the possibility that it was a clumsy attempt to underscore Pinion's attempts to tempt Ledo into joining his salvage operation by appealing to his basest desires. However, given that Ledo is still incapable of sexual arousal, it wouldn't make any sense for the dance to reflect his state of mind or otherwise imply that he is at all deliberating giving into temptation. Ultimately, in the absence of any clear subtext that can imply otherwise, the switch to a very deliberate focus on tits and ass in this episode is probably because the production staff decided that the show needed more tits and ass.

As for other matters pertaining to the episode, I'm kind of dreading the
Hideauze
development for several reasons:

If it really is a Hideauze, this potentially derails Ledo's character development. I'd hate to see his growth as a character be unceremoniously stuffed into an anime-shaped box if he turns into I MUST PROTECT guy number infinity. Even if this doesn't occur (and it probably won't), the threat extending to Earth upends most of what I liked about the story, namely the entire process of Ledo adjusting to a life of peace. I'm under no illusion that this show actually has the balls to end with Ledo completely abandoning his mission as opposed to I MUST GO, MY PEOPLE NEED ME, but if it has to happen, I'd rather it not deprive me of several more pleasantly chill episodes.

If it's not a Hideauze and Chamber is freaking out like Ledo did with the octopus, it's clearly something significant unless this was just a troll cliffhanger and the next episode begins with Amy laughing her ass off about Ledo/Chamber mistaking some kind of crazy-looking fish for their intergalactic nemesis. What if it's, idunno, the GOD of the OCEAN to the Gargantians or something and Ledo commits some kind of horrible religious taboo by killing it? What if it's a Hideauze and Ledo kills it, retrieves the body, discovers that it's made of nanomachines, realizes that humans created the Hideauze, uses Chamber to engineer some kind of genocide weapon based on the new research, and spends the rest of the series angsting over whether or not to leave his new life if it means ending the war? This is just wild speculation, and my point is that there are a lot of different ways for this development to fuck up the atmosphere.
I'm intentionally overthinking this for fun so it'll probably be fine.

Smile Precure 15

Good thing I bothered to get another episode in, BECAUSE IT'S A MOTHERS DAY EPISODE, AND ITS STILL MOTHERS DAY. And Smile gives us one of the greatest gifts of them all. Miyuki's mother.

2SqMJ.jpg
2SqP3.jpg
2Srjg.jpg
2Srcp.jpg
Bonus Yayoi pic

Miyuki comes from a line of main characters who aren't that great at anything, those being Nozomi, and.... Nozomi.

Yayoi's mother, Akane's and Nao's mother, more shipping pairing info on how the two are alike.

It seems like everyone forgets what they learn when it comes to combat, but at least it's on the Villain's nose this time.

Anyway, Miyuki's Mom is one of the greatest things to come from Smile, and that alone makes this episode great.

LTTP Gargantia 6
best episode of the season

Well fuck, the other GIFs were one thing, but this hit my weakness in the jugular.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Good thing I bothered to get another episode in, BECAUSE IT'S A MOTHERS DAY EPISODE, AND ITS STILL MOTHERS DAY. And Smile gives us one of the greatest gifts of them all. Miyuki's mother.

Fate/Zero has the best Mothers' Day episode.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Refresh my memory.

Kiritsugu blows up his adoptive mom on a jet liner after a botched assassination to prevent a magus from triggering the zombie apocalypse. Episode aired on Mother's Day, afaik.

edit: beaten like, uhh, shit I'm bad at coming up with funny similes on the fly

cajunator

Banned
Smile Precure 15

Miyuki comes from a line of main characters who aren't that great at anything, those being Nozomi, and.... Nozomi.

Yayoi's mother, Akane's and Nao's mother, more shipping pairing info on how the two are alike.

It seems like everyone forgets what they learn when it comes to combat, but at least it's on the Villain's nose this time.

Anyway, Miyuki's Mom is one of the greatest things to come from Smile, and that alone makes this episode great.

Well fuck, the other GIFs were one thing, but this hit my weakness in the jugular.

Good lord.
is that the supreme being that created Yayoi? I think Im in love.

Refresh my memory.

Come fly the friendly skies.

LTTP Gargantia

Wow what a nice episode. Loved the fanservice and humor. The cliffhanger was done at the right moment too.

Saint Seiya Omega

This new arc is giving me Hades Arc vibes and I really liked the Hades Arc as well.

Heres hopeing they don't mess this up and disappoint me.

HXH

At this rate the anime will be on hiatus. Togashi get your ass back to writing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom