• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh hey i'm actually in one of these things.

not sure i quite understand my pairing but i'll take it

id2DMdNrmvR3u.jpg

It seems that i underestimated you.

Zettai%20Bouei%20Leviathan%20-%2004_01.jpg

Indeed i'll follow SdBurton guidance for now.

Articalys

So there's this company that makes documentary DVDs or something about all the different kinds of vehicles in the JSDF. Last week they released, among a couple other new videos, one about the history of tanks in the JSDF.
The difference between this and all the other videos in their collection? It has in-character audio commentary from Yukari Akiyama.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeowHXGlAPU
Yesterday, it ranked in third place on Oricon's overall daily DVD sales charts.

Behold the power of Panzer.

Yuyushiki 5

RW10sfu.jpg

Yuzuko has the right idea on gun control. Send it to Congress.

Another delightful episode. I really like the way the interactions between the three mains have developed. Originally it was just Yui the straight man vs. Yukari and Yuzuko the goofballs, but as the series has progressed more nuances in their relationship have steadily been opened up. For instance, Yui showed her goofball side when tired last episode, and now we see that her relationship with Yukari is a bit deeper than that with Yuzuko due to their past history together. Playing with the character dynamics like this, even if it's not huge, keeps a natural chemistry going and prevents the series from falling into the sitcom trap of regurgitating stale jokes from one-note characters over and over.

There were some real heartwarming moments this episode too, especially with the elementary school flashback and the conversations about death. This is a show about dumb girls doing dumb things, but there's a certain sincerity behind their friendship and their curiosity about life that gives a little impact beyond just that. After all, what is it like to die?

YBdmAcM.jpg

This is the sort of distortion that's only possible with 2D vehicles.

Enron

Banned
Yeah its amazing how people jump ship when they were already on the winning team.

It's kind of like bailing on the Rangers to root for the Braves.

who would bail on the Rangers? Not this guy. 50/50 4 lyfe yo

It might be, however, kind of like bailing on the Mets to root for the Rays. I hear people do that.

Nafe

I read almost every post so it would be rare for me to miss something! Also quote highlighting and all that Jazz. If I don't reply to you it means I hate you! (not really serious) but yeah the reason I'm surprise is I'd have guessed you'd be way ahead of that post in your reading of the threads!

Yeah back to Banner, I'm glad you liked it! I hope you like Banner II as well!

Well I'm still about 20-30 pages behind but those posts were about 230+ pages ago from the last OT so I'm not that far behind, haha.

Is the forum default quote highlighting supposed to be working yet or are you using some kind of add on for that? My posts are highlighted but not when someone quotes me.

I'm not sure how quickly I'll get to and finished Banner II. I might be watching too many shows right now,haha.

Syrinx

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 6

Oh wow, that got real as shit for a minute there.

Goddamn, Madoka seriously almost killed her best friend. Good thing Homura was there to save the day and get her gem back. I know her mother told her to make a mistake for both her and Sayaka's sake (more on that later), but SHIT. I don't know how Madoka could have ever gotten over that. Killing your best friend. I can't even.

Madoka's conversation with her mother in this episode was possibly my favorite moment in this show so far, possibly because it made me think about my own life. Madoka's mother tells her that she's always been doing the right thing and being perfect. But that leaves her unprepared for the mistakes she's inevitably going to make down the line. And when she gets older and her mistakes have greater consequences (and if she becomes a magical girl, they'll be even greater than her mother can even imagine), she may not be able to deal with them. And so it may be for her own good to screw up now.

I guess this scene kinda hit me because I'm just a very safe and risk-averse person, and if I were to screw up something majorly now, I couldn't imagine how I'd face myself. I'm a guy who's scared to look at his grades in fear that I didn't do as well as I thought. Hell, if there's a problem at school either with registration or eligibility or anything, I automatically panic and wonder what I did wrong when it may not even be my fault. So, that scene hit close to home a bit.

Madoka still hasn't become a magical girl yet. That's honestly pretty funny. The poster for it on Crunchyroll and the OP have her in her magical outfit, and the OP is full of her in fun antics as a magical girl...and yet here we are halfway through the show and she hasn't become one yet. I don't know, I just find that funny.

cajunator

Banned

Goddamn, Madoka seriously almost killed her best friend. Good thing Homura was there to save the day and get her gem back. I know her mother told her to make a mistake for both her and Sayaka's sake (more on that later), but SHIT. I don't know how Madoka could have ever gotten over that. Killing your best friend. I can't even.

Madoka's conversation with her mother in this episode was possibly my favorite moment in this show so far, possibly because it made me think about my own life. Madoka's mother tells her that she's always been doing the right thing and being perfect. But that leaves her unprepared for the mistakes she's inevitably going to make down the line. And when she gets older and her mistakes have greater consequences (and if she becomes a magical girl, they'll be even greater than her mother can even imagine), she may not be able to deal with them. And so it may be for her own good to screw up now.

I guess this scene kinda hit me because I'm just a very safe and risk-averse person, and if I were to screw up something majorly now, I couldn't imagine how I'd face myself. I'm a guy who's scared to look at his grades in fear that I didn't do as well as I thought. Hell, if there's a problem at school either with registration or eligibility or anything, I automatically panic and wonder what I did wrong when it may not even be my fault. So, that scene hit close to home a bit.

Madoka still hasn't become a magical girl yet. That's honestly pretty funny. The poster for it on Crunchyroll and the OP have her in her magical outfit, and the OP is full of her in fun antics as a magical girl...and yet here we are halfway through the show and she hasn't become one yet. I don't know, I just find that funny.

Im kind of risk averse as well.
I like to plan ahead and I hate losing things.
when my plans fall through I have difficulty recovering my bearings.

The OP does nothing but make me sad.

Anyway, you're really asking the right questions.

I'm surprised that
Kyubey's attitude toward the whole situation
hasn't really made much of an impression on you. But yeah this episode is part of why I think Madoka has some of the best anime parents ever, progressive domesticated dad included.

I'm going to end up watching this show because of these dancing gifs.

Wait...

What?

I don't know either man, I'm just happy that I'm the seme.

Me and Jintor being idle thumbs bros means nothing to yuri goggles, NOTHING! T_T

Jintor

Loving syrinx's impressions. And you sure as hell are asking the right questions - some of which will actually be answered!

Mature

You know, I've seen that dancing gif about a hundred times, but I haven't seen a single one for the fantastic water saku— Found one:
tumblr_mmpg2h3KT21r193sio1_500.gif

Syrinx

I'm surprised that
Kyubey's attitude toward the whole situation
hasn't really made much of an impression on you. But yeah this episode is part of why I think Madoka has one of the best anime parents ever, progressive domesticated dad included.

His seemingly apathetic attitude toward
Madoka almost (at the time, seemingly had) killing Sayaka
was quite jarring. I don't know, I guess he's always seemed detached (though he obviously has some sort of agenda with
making Madoka a magical girl

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yatterman 01:

I think I watched one or two episodes of the 2008 series so I already knew the basics. Gan-chan and An-chan are siblings who own a toy store and spend their free time tinkering with robots. They eventually develop Yatterwan (Yatter-1?), a dog-shaped mecha that can produce smaller robots tailored to whatever sort of situation Gan and An find themselves in. Their foes are the Doronbo Gang, three bumbling thieves led by the voluptuous Doronjo. They run a restaurant by day, and by night search for the Skull Stones after being pressganged into the task by the great thief Dokurobei. who they never actually see. The story is essentially the ongoing conflict between Gan/An and the Doronbo Gang.

This is a very goofy slapstick action/comedy that's clearly intended for a young audience. From an aesthetic standpoint it's actually not that different from many western 70s cartoons, and the Yatterwan mecha especially looks like it could have come out of a Hanna-Barbera show. Admittedly, some of the art is a negative for me. I've always felt creeped out by 70s cartoons (not anime) and especially anything Hanna-Barbera, and there's nothing distinctly "anime" in Yatterman that can mitigate the unease. That's my own personal hangup and no fault of the show, of course. What is a problem for me independent of that issue is simply that the content isn't all that stimulating. It's really just a lot of villains getting comically pummeled and goofy-looking robots and beyond that it's all fairly throwaway and insubstantial. I'll watch a few more to see if the formula introduced in this episode is rigidly followed, but I don't expect that I'll actually have the tolerance to sit through the whole thing.

You know, I've seen that dancing gif about a hundred times, but I haven't seen a single one for the fantastic water saku— Found one:
tumblr_mmpg2h3KT21r193sio1_500.gif

that effect was good, but I feel like that explosion effect has been reused in different ways for pretty much every sakuga explosion in anime ever lol.

wilhelm scream of anime explosions.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Some of these seem like randomly picking two names out of a hat, but I respect your comprehensiveness.

Haha it became really tough to do pairings with what I had left as I was working on it, so yeah you're definitely not wrong on that part. If anything this teaches me to be more aware of posters relationships with each other so in the future I can create a list that's more realistic. Loving all the responses nonetheless.

===========================================

Queen's Blade S2 - 12 [Season 2 END]

I gotta say, I really do love the Queen's Blade series. This show gives off that Soul Edge/Calibur vibe where it provides a colorful cast of characters each with their own purpose for competing, and a somewhat decent story to boot. Watching Reina develop from a naive, no talent individual into a mature, competent warrior was quite something to see over the two seasons and it left me feeling satisfied when she
ended up winning the tournament (as MC's usually do)
. Seriously, good stuff all around. :)

Moving on to the specials next before I start Rebellion.

Aww man I'm the uke? Do those terms even apply generically in yuri?
Yes they do.

Haha it became really tough to do pairings with what I had left as I was working on it, so yeah you're definitely not wrong on that part. If anything this teaches me to be more aware of posters relationships with each other so in the future I can create a list that's more realistic. Loving all the responses nonetheless.

===========================================

Queen's Blade S2 - 12 [Season 2 END]

I gotta say, I really do love the Queen's Blade series. This show gives off that Soul Edge/Calibur vibe where it provides a colorful cast of characters each with their own purpose for competing, and a somewhat decent story to boot. Watching Reina develop from a naive, no talent individual into a mature, competent warrior was quite something to see over the two seasons and it left me feeling satisfied when she
ended up winning the tournament (as MC's usually do)
. Seriously, good stuff all around. :)

Moving on to the specials next before I start Rebellion.

Queen blade S2 is just way better than the first.
The first had good episode ..but fell appart on his own toward the middle.
S2 had actually a very good balance between characters and fights to the point that it captured the fighting part of the games while keeping the "peculiar" cast intact.

That's like ...very impressive.
S2 also helped since boobs do sell , they actually had a decent budget this time leading to a very pleaseant season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom