• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Attack on Titan 06:

Man, apparently Eren was a psycho from way back. But how the hell did he find the kidnappers' cabin? Dumb luck? Psycho instinct?

lol @ Mikasa learning (to kill) from the mountain. fuck I really don't know if I want Eren to actually be dead or not now

I guess they didn't cover their tracks very well.

TBH Mikasa's lesson from the mountain makes a lot more sense than "agriculture and medicine are poison," LOL.

Crunchy lost the Usagi Drop licence right? :T

It's still on Hulu.

Ultimadrago

Personally I'd rather have Usagi Drop as a simple, straightforward slice-of-life series about parenting than melodrama that gets in the way of the naturalness and believability of the character interactions. That was one of the issues I had with Kids on the Slope.

I'm definitely all for this perspective.

Articalys

From the Oldtype/Newtype blog, translations of an 1986 article from Newtype called "21 Prophets of the Anime World", with names such as Miyazaki, Takahata, Oshii, Kawamori, and more discussing what they percieved as problems in the anime industry and how to solve them. Interesting to see where things were 27 years ago...
tumblr_mmquextuwE1re5609o1_500.jpg
Title
Pages 1-2
Pages 3-4
Pages 5-6

edit: no one finds this interesting, huh...

Nafe

Banner of the Stars (Seikai no Senki)

Episode 13 (Completed)

iIXhu6I.jpg

Farewell for now Banner of the Stars. It was a great ride while it lasted. See you again in Banner of the Stars II!

After an initial first episode that I wasn't as keen on because it was somewhat a recap of events, I wound up really enjoying this show. Loved it! I'm not even actually sure how much I had heard of the "of the Stars" series, if at all honestly, before reading the AnimeGaf threads and this show has now become one of my favorites ever very quickly.

I can see how some might like Crest more where others might like Banner slightly more. On the one hand it's not as close with some of it's characters as it was in Crest but it is an interesting story when it pulls back and shows more of the bigger picture and the new characters it introduces are interesting in their own ways. I pretty much liked all of the new characters honestly. The supreme commander of the fleet and his second in command where him and her would have their kind of chiding back and forth. The two brothers of which I have to say I quite like the name "Spectacular Insanity". All the crew of the Basroil. It's too bad that
it gets destroyed...I was just getting to like it. At least there's a Basroil 2.
I think my only complaint as far as characters is that I wish we could have seen more of them such as the two other fleet commanders. I forget the names but the guy and girl who you see a little bit more of near the end.

There was actually a pretty interesting and somewhat, but not really totally, surprise regarding characters.
Meeting Baron Febdash's sister and wondering what she would think of Jinto and Lafiel upon meeting them. Even at the dinner I was wondering if it was honest or just a potential ruse. The show does have its fan service moments though such as at the dinner where she's wearing a dress which shows, and the camera emphasizes, that she's busty but at least she can be sexy and still be competent unlike many shows where the girls are just eye candy.

The show seems a bit different from the norm. in that there's many female characters who are shown to be quite competent and independent while being able to achieve and hold a position of power which was nice to see.

There was maybe some repetition in regards to scenes shown during battle but they were well drawn or animated enough that I didn't really mind. The show does a good job of showing multiple perspectives such as being with the ships right in battle and then back at the flag ships which have more of an over-watch of the situation. Even switching quickly to the screens or sensors aboard the ships to show mine locations made it so that it was never really disorienting as to what was going on. It only felt confusing when it seemed it was intended to such as
when the Abh forces first come across the new mines that can split or go into a proximity activated standby mode rather than always trying to attack and potentially running out of fuel.

Anyway, I kind of feel like Spoor would scold me right about now for going on and on so I guess I'll stop and just say that I really really enjoyed this show and personally would recommend it to others.

--- --- ---

I meant to respond to these a long time ago but forget when trying to catch up with reading the thread. Sorry. Now is as good a time as any though.

I find it weird that people mention they think from Crest onwards, the series drops in quality. Personally I find Banner to be as good if not better than Crest in some ways even though you could argue a significant proportion of it was some samey looking space fights. I thought it did a great job of linking in Lafiel and Jinto into the larger scale events of the setting while still being able to focus on how it all effects them and the new cast.

Now Banner 2 on the other hand...

Yeah, I can see now why someone might like one slightly more than the other as Crest focuses more on the small scale and more specifically with Lafiel and Jinto where Banner focuses more on the larger conflict and has more characters and space battles. We'll see how I feel about Banner II when I get to it.

Who the hell said that? Banner, especially Banner II are awesome! The series doesn't really go bad until Banner III that was rushed gunk for the most part.

I don't really remember specifically but I've just seen different ones mention they like the earlier parts more. Maybe even though they like the latter series less they meant it as one of those cases where they think it's all great but they would give Crest a 9.9/10 where Banner III would get a 9.5/10 or something. Mr. Jeff doesn't seem to like Banner II as much but I think most people I've seen mention it like it and it's really Banner III that more people don't like or are divided on.

Cousincaptor Sakura 20

The New girl becomes a transfer student and wants to continue the tradition of having the world consist of sexual deviants, with a cousin angle this time. Also animation budgets hooo.

Clearly she does not like Sakura, she apparently gets in the way of her husbando, even though Sakura wants Yukito. I wonder how this will play out.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Valvrave 04:

Let's sever the school from the rest of the Dyson Sphere to float in the vacuum of space and create a nation run by teenagers IN A PRECARIOUS STALEMATE WITH THE TWO GREATEST MILITARY POWERS IN THE SOLAR SYSTEM. What could possibly go wrong?!?!?

This is guaranteed to be something really "special". I'm salivating at the possibilities.

Tenumi

Banned
So I had the choice of staying home and watching more anime, or reluctantly going to a volunteer appreciation dinner at the local high school. I chose the dinner.

I came home $50 richer.

This was a successful night.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So I had the choice of staying home and watching more anime, or reluctantly going to a volunteer appreciation dinner at the local high school. I chose the dinner.

I came home $50 richer.

This was a successful night.
You better spend it on anime to bring balance to the world.

Thoraxes

Valvrave 04:

Let's sever the school from the rest of the Dyson Sphere to float in the vacuum of space and create a nation run by teenagers IN A PRECARIOUS STALEMATE WITH THE TWO GREATEST MILITARY POWERS IN THE SOLAR SYSTEM. What could possibly go wrong?!?!?

This is guaranteed to be something really "special". I'm salivating at the possibilities.

(Ep. 04 spoiler in link) Did you lose your shit over THIS scene like I did?

It's when the show basically ascended to godhood for me.

Ah you should put it towards getting the TTGL BD Box set.

Funny story. Now that I have a real job I need to start building credit.

I was thinking of buying the TTGL BD Box as a way to build it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
(Ep. 04 spoiler in link) Did you lose your shit over THIS scene like I did?

It's when the show basically ascended to godhood for me.

I would have mentioned it but I see it's been covered here by several people already. If that's the literal translation of the line, it's the greatest thing ever.

Theonik

You're learning!
It won't be long till he forgets.

Valvrave 04:

Now watch 05 and be in complete awe.

I don't really remember specifically but I've just seen different ones mention they like the earlier parts more. Maybe even though they like the latter series less they meant it as one of those cases where they think it's all great but they would give Crest a 9.9/10 where Banner III would get a 9.5/10 or something. Mr. Jeff doesn't seem to like Banner II as much but I think most people I've seen mention it like it and it's really Banner III that more people don't like or are divided on.
I'm surprised you bother to save this post for all this time lol.

wonzo

Banned
Musashi GUNDOH 4

gundoh4g.jpg

So let me get this straight, this mysterious (lol) foreigner invented a bullet that shoots out a gigantic flame beam that is so powerful it ends up melting the very gun it's fired from. It turns out the only gun capable of firing such a thing is the "gun-ki", a handgun that eventually turns the people that wield it into demons. Not only are there only two "gun-ki" in existence, but both of them just so happen to be kept in a little compartment inside an old mans fake prosthetic arm.

This series really is a masterpiece that everyone itt should be watching.

Nafe

I'm surprised you bother to save this post for all this time lol.

Haha, well I just felt kind of bad for not responding. It's not like you have to respond to every response you get as there's maybe no need to or you have nothing to add but in this case you asked a question and it felt like one of those comments I could add to.

The thread can move pretty fast at times if you're busy so I wanted to at least let you know that I read it as well. Sometimes people just skip to the last page and don't seem to look to see if someone responded to them, especially when they were having a bit of a back and forth conversation before having to log off. That can be kind of frustrating at times where you wonder if you should even bother responding sometimes as you're not sure if someone will respond in kind.

If I'm behind, which is usually the case, I'll just quickly check a little bit ahead to see if I can see my name in case someone was maybe late to responding due to being busy or in a different times zone etc. before going back and reading a bit more thoroughly through the thread.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Valvrave 05:

nlcv-1l6s1r.gif

That's what you get for not thinking things through, you capricious dumbasses!
It was incredibly gratifying to see everyone transitioning almost instantaneously from youthful optimism and playful dickery to mortal terror and despair after realizing that they were all way in over their fucking heads, even if it didn't last nearly long enough
. The first few minutes of the episode, with so many beautiful young people reveling in their own stupidity drunken on a false sense of invincibility, can only be described as anime's answer to the gasoline fight in Zoolander. I'm just waiting for someone to light the proverbial cigarette, whatever that may end up being. All that wastefulness is going to be hi-larious when
you're all starving to death in the freezing nothingness of space
!

Attack on Titan Episode 6 – The World the Girl Saw - Battle for Trost (2)
tumblr_mmrieaUkXV1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Perhaps the delay made this feel even worst than it really was but it was just a really terrible episode and plagued with many dull moments. It felt as if the writer is making the same elementary mistakes that amateur yet aspiring fanfiction writers make in their debut works.
Focusing all of his attention on developing FailKasa and somehow making her this intense character capable of making numerous miracles such as destroying countless titans is just an incredulously nonsensical decision in direction. Surely he could have shared some of these moments with characters sparring them of tragic and really emotional deaths, like Thomas of last episode and then here, Franz, and ultimately Eren. Two episodes in a row and I've already lost three characters I liked and one I loved. I think the anime would do so well if multiple characters were getting in on the action instead of making this a one character do all spectacle, its unfair. If things dont change fast, then I think I really might just not even care for this anymore, only the hopes that Armin, Jean, Connie have something else to them and more flashbacks of Eren, and hopefully Rivaille getting involved in the plot (why that brief tease in the past, he deserves screentime, such a cool design), help me to keep watching this.

I think that random marriage line really felt out of place. Had to agree with Connie about it and then it just looked really bad.
Considering characters are dying all around them, how can one joke around or then show Armin on an emotional collapse and Franz's death scene...

Flashback Eren was cool, hope we get more. Good eyes.

trejo

my goooooddd

you are my hero
Glad I could help. I wasn't sure if it was that because you said it was a film and Gamba is a TV show but wikipedia tells me that there was also a film adaptation, also the villain was like a weasel or somesuch instead of a cat but things like the white fur and red eyes fit the description.

Theonik

I'm not giving it to you this time. Someone else can do it.
Yeah people would accuse me of avatar quote fishing if you did!

Haha, well I just felt kind of bad for not responding. It's not like you have to respond to every response you get as there's maybe no need to or you have nothing to add but in this case you asked a question and it felt like one of those comments I could add to.

The thread can move pretty fast at times if you're busy so I wanted to at least let you know that I read it as well. Sometimes people just skip to the last page and don't seem to look to see if someone responded to them, especially when they were having a bit of a back and forth conversation before having to log off. That can be kind of frustrating at times where you wonder if you should even bother responding sometimes as you're not sure if someone will respond in kind.

If I'm behind, which is usually the case, I'll just quickly check a little bit ahead to see if I can see my name in case someone was maybe late to responding due to being busy or in a different times zone etc. before going back and reading a bit more thoroughly through the thread.
I read almost every post so it would be rare for me to miss something! Also quote highlighting and all that Jazz. If I don't reply to you it means I hate you! (not really serious) but yeah the reason I'm surprise is I'd have guessed you'd be way ahead of that post in your reading of the threads!

Yeah back to Banner, I'm glad you liked it! I hope you like Banner II as well!

Cardcaptor Sakura 19

This was certainly a much more fun episode than 18, since it didn't take me an hour to watch this one! Sakura's in one of those situations where she doesn't finish her summer homework and does it at the last minute like everyone else in anime, which leads to a so-so clow card encounter. Maybe this Chinese ojou-sama (?) will bring something to the table.

Theonik

The first few minutes of the episode, with so many beautiful young people reveling in their own stupidity drunken on a false sense of invincibility, can only be described as anime's answer to the gasoline fight in Zoolander. I'm just waiting for someone to light the proverbial cigarette, whatever that may end up being. All that wastefulness is going to be hi-larious when
!
That's a very very apt analogy of the situation.

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid 5

This is one of the best episodes in the show, for me. Mao and Kurz sneak into a Mafia party in Italy and capture Bruno, and are forced to make a James Bond escape, complete with Mao in an evening dress (which Sousuke mistakes for a bathing suit) and Kurz in a tux. Their portion of the episode then becomes a chase through Sicily with explosions and hijinks galore. Meanwhile, Kaname is stressing over Sousuke possibly failing his classes, which she points out "It'd be a problem for ME," as she also worries herself over what manner of relationship the two have. The episode ends with Mao pointing out that maybe all of this is too much for Sousuke to handle, and asking him what he wants to do. Sousuke responds with "follow orders" and she snaps, setting up one of the major themes of the season: What does Sousuke want, and does he really want to follow orders?

Also, in addition to the significant animation bump, there's a serious bump to the music going on in the series, and a great piece plays during Sousuke and Mao's scene, really making the whole thing work:Add it to the list of reasons why FMP! Sigma needs to be animated.

I wonder if they're waiting for the Sigma manga to be finished. But I'd be on board for more FMP.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Attack on Titan Episode 6 – The World the Girl Saw - Battle for Trost (2)
tumblr_mmrieaUkXV1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Perhaps the delay made this feel even worst than it really was but it was just a really terrible episode and plagued with many dull moments. It felt as if the writer is making the same elementary mistakes that amateur yet aspiring fanfiction writers make in their debut works.
Focusing all of his attention on developing FailKasa and somehow making her this intense character capable of making numerous miracles such as destroying countless titans is just an incredulously nonsensical decision in direction.

Yet if it was
Eren in her position it would be totally believable. Too bad he's giant shit now.
wwwwwwwwwwww

CorvoSol

Valvrave 05:

nlcv-1l6s1r.gif

That's what you get for not thinking things through, you capricious dumbasses!
It was incredibly gratifying to see everyone transitioning almost instantaneously from youthful optimism and playful dickery to mortal terror and despair after realizing that they were all way in over their fucking heads, even if it didn't last nearly long enough
. The first few minutes of the episode, with so many beautiful young people reveling in their own stupidity drunken on a false sense of invincibility, can only be described as anime's answer to the gasoline fight in Zoolander. I'm just waiting for someone to light the proverbial cigarette, whatever that may end up being. All that wastefulness is going to be hi-larious when
!

You forgot the best part!
Nobody gives two fucks that there's a murderous madman on the loose onboard their colony!

I wonder if they're waiting for the Sigma manga to be finished. But I'd be on board for more FMP.

I can only hope. I can only hope.

Articalys

The combination streaming/crowdfunding site for older anime shows, Anime Sols, is now live.

http://animesols.com/

US/Canada only, though they'll listen to user feedback from everyone.

Older news articles on the site:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-11-07/new-service-to-stream-tekkaman-creamy-mami-yatterman
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...eam-original-yatterman-aoi-blink-tezuka-films
The service will focuses on the North American audience and feature properties owned by the parent companies as early as next spring. Along with streaming Japanese anime titles, the site will offer goods and rewards for fans to purchase as incentives to support various properties. The funding will allow fans to directly support the Japanese companies, receive goods unavailable anywhere else, and give supporters the opportunity to own titles on home video.

The combination streaming/crowdfunding site for older anime shows, Anime Sols, is now live.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-11-07/new-service-to-stream-tekkaman-creamy-mami-yatterman
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...eam-original-yatterman-aoi-blink-tezuka-films

Yatterman seems worth watching well just based on the images I see...but nothing Id really pledge to support. Hope they get more stuff. Some of the pledge prizes seem alright, how would a dinner work (I guess the usual you have to pay to get there yourself type of thing?).
(0$ of $19000)
tumblr_mmrlxltXSq1qbxqfpo1_400.png

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I'm skeptical that they'll ever manage to fund a single release, and even then, the odds seem high of getting screwed on a complete series if, say, the first volume of a series is funded and all subsequent volumes fail to do so, but the vintage streaming aspect is definitely exciting. I'm on board for the Yatterman stream at least.

Blasty

I'm getting a bit worried about Attack on Titan....

Is Eren actually dead in the anime? People are saying Mikasa may become the MC.

Attack on Titan 6

huBbSORl.jpg

They left out the lick! Those Bastards! Pretty good adaptation of Mikasa and Eren's flashback. Though one change from the manga has me wondering...
Manga Spoilers
In the manga Mikasa's mom was giving Mikasa a tattoo that was supposedly of her clan symbol and the place where she got the tattoo has been covered up ever since. Lots of speculation about Mikasa has come from that tattoo and what it really is since we haven't see it yet. Changing it to embroidery in the anime seems very weird.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
From the Oldtype/Newtype blog, translations of an 1986 article from Newtype called "21 Prophets of the Anime World", with names such as Miyazaki, Takahata, Oshii, Kawamori, and more discussing what they percieved as problems in the anime industry and how to solve them. Interesting to see where things were 27 years ago...

Title
Pages 1-2
Pages 3-4
Pages 5-6

edit: no one finds this interesting, huh...

I just finished reading it. I like stuff like this. I wish I understood more of the animation process to fully get it, but it seems like some of them could really see some of the effects of the prior actions. (I think it was the Miyazaki one that spoke about too much self-indulgent anime... that much is true I think.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom