• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hidamari Sketch 1

My quest to find a slice of life comedy to watch continues. Going from Nichijou to this was a bit of a leap as the ugly Shaft visuals really stand out, especially the awful backgrounds. This episode mostly bored me, I'll give it a few more episodes like I did with Nichijou, but right now I think my quest is doomed.

Well what have you watched so far?

cajunator

Banned
Hidamari Sketch 1

My quest to find a slice of life comedy to watch continues. Going from Nichijou to this was a bit of a leap as the ugly Shaft visuals really stand out, especially the awful backgrounds. This episode mostly bored me, I'll give it a few more episodes like I did with Nichijou, but right now I think my quest is doomed.

Certainly not the response I was expecting, but to each their own.

If you can't enjoy Hidamari Sketch, slice of life might not be the genre for you.

Basically this. Its one of the more enjoyable slice of life shows. If you don't like it, you might not enjoy slice of life.
But check out SoreDemo and see if that might suit your tastes better.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Lesbian Soldier Sailor Moon S] 095
KrX0Etel.jpg
Second best male character is back! Even if he's kind of a creep.
It's just nice to see the nerdy guy get the girl, even if it's not the girl... though, to be honest, I rather date Naru than Usagi.
No way, they are just really close cousins.
lol so random.
Usagi two-timing :/

CorvoSol

I think
they chalk it up to just incompatible personalities since she's really been after Rygart from day 1, basically. Like they're banking on it being a still burning flame in her heart that damages her relationship to Hodr. It's a bad reason, yeah, but outside of the whole war plot point not an unrealistic idea.
And correct my memory if wrong but
she presents the divorce papers prior to the war no? I think she just doesn't actively pursue the divorce during the war. I mean, she's actively contributing to the war effort too. And is she ever made aware of the "unwritten" condition of the execution of Krishna Royal Family? I thought it was basically just shared between Hodr and Rygart. I can't recall.

Nah, they never tell her. I don't remember her filing the papers prior to, though. I dunno, I just wasn't much of a fan of her. General True's fan girl was Best Girl to me.

wonzo

Banned
Hidamari Sketch 1

The first season's kinda ugly, especially when compared to the later ones. I'd say it's definitely worth sticking with though.

cajunator

Banned
Of note, Kiddy Girl And, the sequel to Kiddy Grade is fucking horrible and wrong, but it does have good OP/ED songs.
Im not linking to them though, because it might accidentally link you guys to footage from Kiddy Girl And, and nobody deserves that.

CorvoSol

Of note, Kiddy Girl And, the sequel to Kiddy Grade is fucking horrible and wrong, but it does have good OP/ED songs.
Im not linking to them though, because it might accidentally link you guys to footage from Kiddy Girl And, and nobody deserves that.

Sequel shows are rarely as good as their predecessors.

cajunator

Banned
Sequel shows are rarely as good as their predecessors.

KGA is a fucking affront to everything great about Kiddy Grade. Its so mediocre, bland, and ridiculous. All the characters are ruined shells. The art sucks. The pacing sucks. Its not as exciting or fun. Its just stuuuuuuuuupid.

The first season's kinda ugly, especially when compared to the later ones. I'd say it's definitely worth sticking with though.

Yeah, I wasn't planning on giving up on it yet. The visuals were actually my main gripe, but for this type of genre, I can live with them, especially if they improve later on.

I didn't realize it was a Haruhi style non-chronological show. How much do they play with that?

and NATSU NO ARASHI.
And Soredemo, the best Shaft show.

and NATSU NO ARASHI.

That OP digs itself into my brain somehow without me watching it for a whole year.

Yeah, I wasn't planning on giving up on it yet. The visuals were actually my main gripe, but for this type of genre, I can live with them, especially if they improve later on.

I didn't realize it was a Haruhi style non-chronological show. How much do they play with that?

Almost all the time in S1 and 2, gets a bit more seldom in 3, and 4 every now and again from what I remember.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Nah, they never tell her. I don't remember her filing the papers prior to, though. I dunno, I just wasn't much of a fan of her. General True's fan girl was Best Girl to me.

I don't remember when she gives them to Hodr to sign, but I know he never signs them (at least in the show). She is kind of an odd character emotionally, but I do admire them giving her more to her than just a token queen or love interest.

Jintor

One Piece 01-02 (Dub)

This is a pretty nice background show to put on while I'm drawing. Plus I think I watched the 4kids stuff back in the day, so I don't need to pay too much attention.

CorvoSol

I don't remember when she gives them to Hodr to sign, but I know he never signs them (at least in the show). She is kind of an odd character emotionally, but I do admire them giving her more to her than just a token queen or love interest.

I still thought the other girl was better, and did not want Rygart to be with her in the least.

The best episode for me though was definitely the one where they first mount all that heavy armor onto Rygart's mech and it's still flying across the desert and ruining the enemy. That fight was awesome.

CorvoSol

Kiddy Grade 4

3 minutes in. Full side boob. WHAT KIND OF DEPRAVED SHOW HAVE YOU PUT ME INTO HERE, CAJUN? MY POOR, INNOCENT EYES! WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?

I'm so scandalized, haha. You'd think after all the times it'd happened in UC Gundam, I would be used to this.

DokiDoki Precure 16

2Wuki.gif

HOLY SHIT! SHE DID IT! DOKI DOKI IS SAVED! YEEEES! Holy shit I could not stop fist pumping and pausing just to contain myself from Regina's antics! She's chipping away at Mana's perfection no less!

THIS HERE FOLKS, IS CURRENTLY THE GREATEST DOKI DOKI PRECURE EPISODE!
AND WE DIDN'T LEAVE OFF ON A COMPLETELY HAPPY NOTE!

God damn it, Suite Precure really drove "Unforgivable" into my damn head though.

cajunator

Banned
Kiddy Grade 4

3 minutes in. Full side boob. WHAT KIND OF DEPRAVED SHOW HAVE YOU PUT ME INTO HERE, CAJUN? MY POOR, INNOCENT EYES! WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?

I'm so scandalized, haha. You'd think after all the times it'd happened in UC Gundam, I would be used to this.

You cant possibly tell me you didn't like the sideboob :p
I think the plot starts rolling around episode 8 or 9. Gonzo shows like to tread water then throw you in headfirst into the story.

wonzo

Banned
Fair enough, keep in mind they actually do get pretty creative with the visual side of things later on.

They play with it quite a bit for the first few seasons (what with earlier or later eps being referenced to throughout the series).

CorvoSol

I've seen shows with boob physics.

I've seen shows with ass physics.

I've seen shows with hair physics.

I've seen shows with no physics at all.

But you know, I think Kiddy Grade may be the first time I've ever seen LIP PHYSICS.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I still thought the other girl was better, and did not want Rygart to be with her in the least.

The best episode for me though was definitely the one where they first mount all that heavy armor onto Rygart's mech and it's still flying across the desert and ruining the enemy. That fight was awesome.

Yeah that was the best fight. I never get tired of seeing that guy get fucking wrecked like he was made of nothing, fuck that's the best.

Goddamn, I wanna find that episode and make a gif of that scene. It's so good.

cajunator

Banned
I've seen shows with boob physics.

I've seen shows with ass physics.

I've seen shows with hair physics.

I've seen shows with no physics at all.

But you know, I think Kiddy Grade may be the first time I've ever seen LIP PHYSICS.

That lipstick whip of Éclair is amazing.
So is her outfit.

Jintor

I really should give Kiddy Grade a modern day rewatch. I saw a few episodes back in early high school and I don't even remember what I thought at the time.

CorvoSol

Yeah that was the best fight. I never get tired of seeing that guy get fucking wrecked like he was made of nothing, fuck that's the best.

I really liked Broken Blade's fights because there was no real element of magic to them, just machines going head to head. I mean, I'm all for Super Robots at times, but the Super Robot Trap can sometimes remove tension altogether from a fight, and that's just heart breaking.

Kiddy Grade 4

Hahaha, Eclair dresses up as Catwoman under the absurd pseudonym of "Ms. Beauty Aphrodia" and beats up "Mad Bad Bull" who is basically a not-green Blanka. In the English dub, they claim that Eclair is drinking "aged grape juice". Is she actually drinking this in the Japanese version, too? Either way pepperoni and crackers sounds kinda good right now.

HER NAME IS FOXY FOX AND SHE IS SAMUS ARAN. I AM IN LOVE.

Her lipstick is like a Sonic Screwdriver.

SHE PUT A FIST THROUGH HIS SKULL.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Yuriyuri! Precure] 16
They finally put Mana's perfect perfectness to good use.
This is the first time her happy(! go! lucky! girls! Purikyuaaaaaaaaaaaa yay~) friends with everyone attitude created a serious rift with the team. I loved that! I also find it hilarious that everyone thought this episode would be about Rikka's selfishness when it was more about Mako-P's inability to accept a Selfish Kingdom member due to her past. Brilliant.

Episode delivered oh so very much.

DiGiKerot

Puchimas OVA

puchimasuova.jpg

Well, I knew there was something innately evil with Haruka and her mini spawn but now I know THE TRUTH.

Huh, well, this explains why the extra episode bundled with the first BD was labelled World 2-2. I figured I was missing something, but I guess it's supposed to go in the middle of this.

CorvoSol

ZZ Gundam 2

HOW. HOW IS
Yazan Gable
STILL ALIVE? His mobile suit EXPLODED. COMPLETELY. Like Kamille channeled dead spirits and hit him with a sword made of spiritual fire and he BLEW UP. How is he still alive?

Man, seeing Kamille like this blows. It's creepy, and depressing. And it blows. How you do this to my man Kamille, Tomino? HOW YOU DO THIS?

That guard just attempted to eat an orange by biting right into it. This entire colony is populated by paste eaters, isn't it? I mean WHO BITES RIGHT INTO AN ORANGE?

Don't be deceived, Judau! Fa is NOT a girl of good character. There was a better girl on the Argama! A BEST GIRL.

I'm just assuming that the infinite squadron of expendable Nemo Pilots was expended in the last battle of Zeta because LOL like anyone got out of the last episode of Zeta alive. Although, come to think of it, isn't Apolly still around? He and Fa are the Mobile Suit team for the Argama now, so I hope he's around. I mean, Bright packs a mean slap, but somehow I don't know that that will get him out of this jam.

OH MY GOD.

ORANGES.

ORANGES.

I.

I don't.

No seriously, Tomino went insane before the end of Zeta. Either he did or I did, but somehow this madness killed the entire cast of Zeta and left their corpses to be pelted with Oranges.

ORANGES.

THAT THAT GUY BIT INTO WITHOUT PEELING OR SLICING.

WHAT IF HE'S STILL DOWN THERE CHEWING ORANGE RINDS?

OH MY GOD NO ANOTHER ONE IS THERE AND HE IS EATING THE ORANGE THE SAME WAY.

WHAT IS THIS HELLISH COLONY WHERE PEOPLE EAT ORANGES, RINDS AND ALL?

WHY HAVE YOU COME HERE, ARGAMA? WHY.

My Bride is a Mermaid 01

You know, one of the things I found myself hating a lot in American animation was the screaming and yelling that went on in the cheap laughs shows. Just can't stand watching stuff that I used to like because of all the ear grating noise.

This show has a lot of damn screaming.

CorvoSol

NO SAEGUSA YOU WERE ONE OF THE CHOSEN SURVIVORS OF ZETA! NOOOOOO!!!!!

Seriously, though, the ease with which this kid is taking the Zeta Gundam is the most believable thing ever. Security on the Argama was a farce compared to security on the White Base.

My Bride is a Mermaid 01

You know, one of the things I found myself hating a lot in American animation was the screaming and yelling that went on in the cheap laughs shows. Just can't stand watching stuff that I used to like because of all the ear grating noise.

This show has a lot of damn screaming.

Screaming is the show. 70% of it is just that. Don't expect it to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom