• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned

SOLD. Just give me a link to buy it from.

I want figures~!

Sucy figure in my future. Maybe 3.

04tV4dv.jpg

who are these?

Aiura is so good. Episode 5 in particular is just great. Really wish it were a full length show, or at least 13 minutes like Muromi-san.

Also crab OP is best OP.

The OP for Aiura is longer than the show itself lol. Its so unbelievably short it actually caught me off guard.

Media Blasters has licensed everyone's favorite yuri anime, Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito. No details on release format yet. Also no details on if it'll actually eventually be released at all, but that's a constant worry with anything Media Blasters picks up now, I suppose.

Ohhhh my godddd <3
DAY 0

Hey everyone, just stopping by for a quick knowledge raid of this fine thread. Here goes:

Can anyone recommend an anime series for me and my missus to watch together? We liked Chobits, something like that would be good. We also liked Excel Saga and Azumanga. K-On was alright.

Are there any series around of this calibre at the moment? Everything we try seems to be kind of... ehh.

Chihayafuru (although its a bit lengthy)
although going back quite a few years I would recommend stuffl ike Haibane Renmei, Mushishi, or Kino's Journey.
Actually when the last time someone here watched Kino's Journey? One of my favorite animes of all time. Its so good.

Jex

So over a 1/3 of the show is crap? That's something that is sort of hard to forgive.

In terms of who is 'at fault' with regards to the filler, it was NHK who demanded that the series be lengthened after is received high ratings early on. It wasn't their choice, as such, and they were already way overworked due to their concern with making the show look great. The art and animation looks legitimately incredible at points.

It's really more of an academic debate at this point because you really can skip through the filler at this point, which is what the director actually did when he compiled his ideal re-edit of the entire series. I'd advise anyone watching the series today to do the same.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Media Blasters has licensed everyone's favorite yuri anime, Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito. No details on release format yet. Also no details on if it'll actually eventually be released at all, but that's a constant worry with anything Media Blasters picks up now, I suppose.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY PANCAKES

Syrinx

Yami is from 2003? Why did I have the impression that it was a much older show? And now I'm looking at the length and art style and saying, maybe I should see what the big deal is.
You should avoid it like a plague-infested rat. And you should start watching it this instant.

Hey everyone, just stopping by for a quick knowledge raid of this fine thread. Here goes:

Can anyone recommend an anime series for me and my missus to watch together? We liked Chobits, something like that would be good. We also liked Excel Saga and Azumanga. K-On was alright.

Are there any series around of this calibre at the moment? Everything we try seems to be kind of... ehh.

Seconding Nichijou, it's a different style of humor and less referential than Excel Saga but it's got plenty of the energy and absurdity. Plus it's got the down to earth setting and adorableness that you might have liked from Azumanga.

Guys, is Valkyria Chronicles a good anime? The game is top notch for sure.

Sadly no.

kitsuneyo

My first suggestion would be Nichijou, since you liked Azumanga and K-On. Though it's sub-only, so I don't know if that'd be an issue for you or not.

I prefer subs, but I didn't like Nichijou that much. Might not have given it a fair crack though.

Angel Beats.

Try Minami-ke. If you are looking for a slice-of-life comedy, it's top tier.

Will check these out, thanks!

Well, what have you tried?

Shirokuma Cafe and Squid Girl, liked both of those. Kurage Hime was pretty awesome as well. Edit - So was Kimi ni Todoke

The ones we tried recently and didn't like so much were stuff like Hunter x Hunter and that one where everyone gets stuck in a VR game... I forget the name of it!

cajunator

Banned
You should avoid it like a plague-infested rat. And you should start watching it this instant.

Its so....elephant oatmeal

I prefer subs, but I didn't like Nichijou that much. Might not have given it a fair crack though.

Shirokuma Cafe and Squid Girl, liked both of those. Kurage Hime was pretty awesome as well. Edit - So was Kimi ni Todoke

The ones we tried recently and didn't like so much were stuff like Hunter x Hunter and that one where everyone gets stuck in a VR game... I forget the name of it!

What about Humanity has declined or Shin Sekai Yori?

Kurita

Space Brothers

Shirokuma Cafe and Squid Girl, liked both of those. Kurage Hime was pretty awesome as well.

OK, I think I get your basic taste. With that in mind, here's a few suggestions I'd make.

Daily Lives of High School Boys
Hidamari Sketch
Hotarubi no Mori e (short film)
Hyouka
Little Witch Academia (short film)
Mai Mai Miracle (film)
Tsuritama
Usagi Drop
Wandering Son
Wolf Children (film)
Yuyushiki (currently airing)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Sword Art Online?

Yeah, no shame in not liking that one!

kitsuneyo

Space Brothers

I like the look of it!

Sword Art Online?

Yeah, no shame in not liking that one!

That's it yeah.

OK, I think I get your basic taste. With that in mind, here's a few suggestions I'd make.

Daily Lives of High School Boys
Hidamari Sketch
Hotarubi no Mori e (short film)
Hyouka
Little Witch Academia (short film)
Mai Mai Miracle (film)
Tsuritama
Usagi Drop
Wandering Son
Wolf Children (film)
Yuyushiki (currently airing)

Thank you!

I think I have enough recommendations to look at, thanks everyone :)

I'm assuming sub is alright? Asking just in case it isn't.

Anyway, recent/currently airing stuff gives us a few options. If you want super wacky/fast like Excel Saga, check out Teekyu, aka the fastest anime of all time. If you want goofy, Muromi-san and Azazel-san are both fine choices. Daily Lives of High School Boys and Nichijou are also good.

Edit: Ah, I see you weren't a fan of Nichijou. Strike that from the list then.

Smile Precure 21

This is it, the final decor! And everyone being friendly and bounding together. They finally remember to state that a queen exists. They want to stay together forever, everything is perfectly fine, so lets put that final decor in.

However, Joker couldn't let them do that, and takes the Decors along with Candy, laughing maniacally.

MIDSEASON CLIMAX TIME! One episode until Doomsday!

Kyon

Banned
Smile Precure 21

This is it, the final decor! And everyone being friendly and bounding together. They finally remember to state that a queen exists. They want to stay together forever, everything is perfectly fine, so lets put that final decor in.

However, Joker couldn't let them do that, and takes the Decors along with Candy, laughing maniacally.

MIDSEASON CLIMAX TIME! One episode until Doomsday!

Happy Candy is best Candy

smile_08.gif

Nafe

In the games, the person driving the car is male, the outfit, wheel holding, and way to turn the car. So I can relate to the driver.

That's making a lot of assumptions. There's a male way as opposed to a female way to hold onto the wheel and turn the car? What? That doesn't make any sense.

Many racing games have gender neutral characters because the focus is on the cars. Especially for older and somewhat older games that didn't have a cockpit or dash view or showed any drivers in the vehicle at all like the early Gran Turismo games as I recall.

What about puzzle games then, do/have you play(ed) those? Such as Tetris or Bejeweled? or do you only play any puzzle games where your character is shown as a male avatar?

The mass of images on google for Danica Patrick and her rather long hair is quite deceptive.

I'm not really sure how it's deceptive. While it's true that she has long hair, if you look up pictures of her in uniform or with her helmet on you can see she has it done up and doesn't look any different from the guys. Such as in this persons picture here:

Jex

Evangelion 3.33

I also liked the Unit 2 777 mode (I think?) as it seemed to be a natural evolution of the feral qualities of a berserking Eva and hinted at the level of control the pilots had over the units now. .

Now, I'm going to have to fundamentally disagree with you on this point. I think those working on the Rebuild franchise fundamentally fail to understand what makes the actions performed by the Evangelion Units so powerful. They take the form of a human, and shape is very important. They resemble us. When they perform horrific and unspeakable deeds we are affected, in part, because those deeds are being undertaken by something that looks like a human being. As soon as you shift away from that very clear design philosophy you lose that important element.

Consider, for example, the battle in episode 18:

Notice the physicality and brutality of Eva Unit 1's attacks. It doesn't use weaponry, it strangles, it pummels, it rips - it attacks resemble those of a humans. Both it, and it's adversary, resemble human beings covered in armour. It's like two people attempting to kill each other in an extremely brutal fashion - which is kind of the point of the entire scene.

Now, in the movie 2.22 they make a number of changes to this scene which are all for the worse (editing, visual design, music, sound design) and one of the most important ones for this discussion is how they change Unit-1's adversary:

By adding in these extra appendages, probably to look cool and dramatic, they completely move away from the fact that this is a battle between two humans and suddenly it resembles a battle against a monster. When you destroy a monster it's far less traumatic than killing a person.

All the Berserker/Unit 2 stuff in the movies falls under this category as well. It was already a problem in 2.22 with this:

ridiculous looking thing which resembles some kind of cartoon monster. Does it really resemble a human in the same manner as before, with it's ridicules torso and stupid head? As I've said above, when you change the shape and appearance of something in this way you completely reclassify it. A fight between two monsters doesn't affect you on the same kind of gut level as a fight between a human and a monster or a human and a human. Of course, they really shit all over this in 3.33 with this atrocity:

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/Album 2/Evangelionshape2_zpsbfc70cb4.jpg~original
http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/Album 2/Evangelionshape1_zps4111343f.jpg~original

I mean, a tail? Paws? What were they thinking, beyond selling some new model? If you want to see the same concept done right just return to the original series, episode 19:

Eva Unit-1 goes Bersek and absolutely destroys, and eats, an angel.
This is made far more disturbing by the fact that it still looks like a person, but it's body movement and the noises it makes resemble those of an animal. It even engages in cannibalistic behaviour, which is a fundamental taboo in most cultures. That's what really makes you feel uncomfortable, to see a person acting like a beast. In 3.33 you see a beast acting like a beast, which is completely ineffective in stirring those same emotions.

What I'm trying to say is that I disagree with you and I think the entire concept of the 'beast mode' is flawed.

Mr.Jeff

Asobi Ni Iku Yo 1
I went into expecting cat tits, and what I got was:

DELICIOUS CAT BUTT
BIG FAT CAT TATS
Some sort of cute as fuck meganekko super soldier voiced by KanaHana (may or may not be best girl as of yet)

Yes, this will be an entertaining show.
After seeing a post like this, I'm convinced the only way to enjoy it is through screenshots or if I was to remove all instances of the male lead being involved at all. I think I've reached a point where I have no tolerance for male characters who no sexual appetites at all.

Still though...carry on.

After seeing a post like this, I'm convinced the only way to enjoy it is through screenshots or if I was to remove all instances of the male lead being involved at all. I think I've reached a point where I have no tolerance for male characters who no sexual appetites at all.

Still though...carry on.

I watch smut so other people don't have to.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Grouping Hunter x Hunter and Sword Arts Online

XkhZT4G.gif

/XX/

Hmm, that was a rather lengthy response to a rather throw away Evangelion comment. Oops, sorry Narag.
I appreciate that more in-depth response, and I agree with you. It really turns up a notch what it could be done with the most probable objective to highlight some obvious visual 'break away' (differentiation) from the past works, but in a manner it throws out of balance how the units are perceived entirely.

Smile Precure 23

They're capable of firing two shots now! What a deal!

Huzzah at more one on one fights, even if Cure Happy only gets to fight Onix.

But that's no Pegasus. That's not a Pegasus at all! Pierrot pretty much jobbed despite being back for like 3 minutes. Really liked the comeback sequence, with Cure March pretty much rapid firing March Shoot against all the Majorina clones and Beauty's Ice Sword segment with Joker. Dat Feral Wolfrun!

Well that was an exciting climax! Time for better half!

Tenumi

Banned
Smile Precure: 28

Ghosts and tests of courage, hurrah! Not much of a notable episode besides
Majorina Time again, and an Akanbe that can't move

Its hard to find stuff for me to post every episode. Gonna skip it if theres nothing eventful. Besides, Smile Precure is finished, and I'm not the only one watching it right now, so... well, yeah.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Smile Precure: 28

Ghosts and tests of courage, hurrah! Not much of a notable episode besides
Majorina Time again, and an Akanbe that can't move

Its hard to find stuff for me to post every episode. Gonna skip it if theres nothing eventful. Besides, Smile Precure is finished, and I'm not the only one watching it right now, so... well, yeah.

It's never advisable to force yourself to post impressions for any show if you don't feel that you have anything to say. It saves mental energy for the things that you actually want to discuss and improves marathon efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom