• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
how many animes are there where there is an international cast of main characters, but japan guy saves the day?

Would space bros count?
attack on titan, if we are assuming they are in a europe, and 'orientals' are super people (of whats left of them).

g gundam?

hikaru no go? wait no, he lost to that korean guy.

Gunbuster.

Narag

how many animes are there where there is an international cast of main characters, but japan guy saves the day?

Would space bros count?
attack on titan, if we are assuming they are in a europe, and 'orientals' are super people (of whats left of them).

g gundam?

I'd assume various Cyborg 009 incarnations.

Would space bros count?

g gundam?

tumblr_mj2729pWFu1r7guhqo1_500.gif

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I think the graphic visual imagery of two human-shaped monsters tearing each other to pieces to evoke a certain disquieting element of familiarity is effective, but I don't think abandoning that for this scene in 2.22 perverts the entire foundation of it. It does a perfectly admirable job of showing Shinji's horror as he can only sit back and listen in futility. The parallels of the Eva's and the pilots are nice, but that's just the gravy in terms of what's important in this scene.
The core concept is there, but what irks me about this scene (and how the EVAs have been handled in Rebuild in general) is that (TV SPOILERS)
we are quick to forget the Evangelions are literally humans trapped in Angel bodies. They act like normal humans would for the most part, even when they go berserk* --or at the very least they revert back to their most primal maternal instincts. This is why depicting them as anything but human-like is jarring in their depiction. These giant biomecha are actual characters in themselves.

*I always argued that Yui's consumption of Zeruel's S2 Engine in episode 19 was a conscious choice from her part, as she is certainly aware of the intricacies of the Human Instrumentality Project right from the very beginning. She's a bit messy about it, I will admit!

Rad-

Just watched Steins;Gate. I dunno why I didn't watch it earlier. I guess I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. Amazing.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think it's a testament to the TV series that it still evokes this sense of horror and frustration when watching it as I just did to refresh my memory. So unbelievably brutal.
Smiling Gendo and the crushed plug Toji was in just seals the deal.

oh man, the first time I watched this episode as a teenager, I was freaking out crying through the entire scene. Still my favorite episode of Evangelion.

Nafe

Tetris is about filling gaps. Pretty masculine.

Oh yeah, you mentioned before you're a Tetris fan right?

Yeah, I was basically just saying that there's no reason to have to relate or self insert yourself into the shoes of the character you're playing in a video game or in a show you're watching to actually like the character or get any enjoyment out of the title.

Would space bros count?

g gundam?

Strike Witches.

Narag

One Piece 63

Luffy sure gets the value of hopes and dreams. Someone spoil me and let me know if he ever meets up with that whale again.

survivor

Banned
One Piece 63

Luffy sure gets the value of hopes and dreams. Someone spoil me and let me know if he ever meets up with that whale again.

You are talking about Laboon?
He will get mentioned again, but it takes a long time from where you are.

CorvoSol

Would space bros count?

g gundam?

Full Metal Panic's team kinda counts when you look at Sousuke's side of things. Melissa Mao is a Chinese-American (of the Hong Kong variety), Kurz Weber is German, Sousuke Sagara is Japanese raised in the Middle East, Teresa Testarossa is American, Richard Mardukas is British, Belfangen Closeau is Canadian and Andrei Kalinin is Russian.

So everyone in that half of the show isn't Japanese except Sousuke. Granted they're all Not Too Foreign at the same time, since Tessa's father was stationed in Japan when she was little, and Kurz lived their for awhile and has a better grasp on Japanese history than Sousuke. The irony is that the only Japanese crew member of the TDD-1 has a harder time blending in in Japan than his comrades.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Gunbuster - 05

Another great episode, but damn it why does
Kazumi have to be in love with Coach?! He's alright and all but where's my GL? Even coach was pushing for it, stating to Noriko "alone, you're just a flame... but with Kazumi, you're an inferno." BRING ME THE HEAT DAMMIT!!
I knew
he was going to survive too, tch.

Anyway, the action scenes were great and I got to hear Noriko roar again.

And more Jung (nsfw) service. (nsfw) :D

Hidamari Sketch 3

2XDIm.gif

Yoshinoya, why are you stimulating!?

Umm anywho, I see the air packet thing introduced last time was brought back up along with the leaky roofs, and the crisis was narrowly avoided (unintentionally). I wonder if the air packets will continue as a recurring gag.

I have found a dude in here, this should not have happened, but he's not harem material, so whatever.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Gunbuster - 05

Another great episode, but damn it why does
Kazumi have to be in love with Coach?! He's alright and all but where's my GL? Even coach was pushing for it, stating to Noriko "alone, you're just a flame... but with Kazumi, you're an inferno." BRING ME THE HEAT DAMMIT!!
I knew
he was going to survive too, tch.

Anyway, the action scenes were great and I got to hear Noriko roar again.

And more Jung (nsfw) service. (nsfw) :D
Gattai is a form of love, too.

One Piece 63

Laboon plays a pretty important role much later. And I do mean MUCH later. However,
we don't actually see him again in the present (unless they showed him for a few seconds among some world reactions, I don't remember if they did).

cajunator

Banned
Just watched Steins;Gate. I dunno why I didn't watch it earlier. I guess I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. Amazing.

Its one of the very best series in recent memory.

Am I too late to wish Cajun a happy birthday?

It was yesterday but better late than never <3

Hidamari Sketch 3

2XDIm.gif

Yoshinoya, why are you stimulating!?

Umm anywho, I see the air packet thing introduced last time was brought back up along with the leaky roofs, and the crisis was narrowly avoided (unintentionally). I wonder if the air packets will continue as a recurring gag.

I have found a dude in here, this should not have happened, but he's not harem material, so whatever.

Told you Christmas Cake was wonderful!

Jex

She was very briefly shown in the beach episode of Gargantia, but would this count?

Equally lazy is having a single non-white character whose is defined by their 'otherness' and who becomes a figure of fascination e.g. like whats her name in Tamako Market.

Jex

But that's just it. It's not a battle between two humans. It's a disturbing, otherworldly conflict between a
soulless (dummy plug) machine and an angel.
I thought this scene was one of the highlights of rebuild and an example of how they could create a theatric modernization/re-versioning without stomping on the feet of any subtle symbolism. Is the Eva TV series version of this better? Maybe, but only in the context of it's continuity. I think 2.22's dummy plug scene works pretty sharply within rebuild itself. I also think Kyo no Hi wa Sayonara was pretty well implemented as far as "scenes with sharp juxtapositions of visuals versus audio" go.

I haven't ignored this comment, I plan to reply to it but I don't currently have the time to do so to a level that I would consider satisfactory.

Equally lazy is having a single non-white character whose is defined by their 'otherness' and who becomes a figure of fascination e.g. like whats her name in Tamako Market.

But she also did fortunetelling by looking up at a bird's anus, of course people would be fascinated with her.

CorvoSol

Kiddy Grade 6

It's not an episode of Kiddy Grade if Eclair doesn't go through at least one costume change.

Poor Mrs. Padushka, she seemed to have no clue what she was doing, even though she outranked? Eclair and had 7 years on the force.

Strike Witches.

Truly a progressive masterpiece, the flying PANTSU future is a tolerant future. Also can anyone explain to me the value in having the Japanese person save the day? It seems to me that a diverse cast on its own is pretty damn good.

Arjuna 5

- If I liked this show then that teal whale shirt would've been great merch to have
- This IS a magical girl show, she won through love and harmony!
- How can someone who bothered to
save their umbilical cords
be so careless to mix em up? Wonder if this will cause trouble down the line
- A love triangle appears! Also props to having one of the more believable couples in anime.
- Liked the idea of
Micro Raja
but I continue to roll my eyes at everything surrounding it.

Branduil

You know, I just had a thought about a few of the rather fantastical shows that are currently airing this season. I don't mean to start a serious discussion, it just occurs me to that all these shows:

despite the fact that they're set in the future or in some other fantasy setting completely fail to have any black cast members. I don't mean to imply that these shows are racist or anything, rather that it's not even a consideration on the part of the creators.

Well, in Attack on Titan 6
it's implied that most minorities have been absorbed into the greater white population, which is why Mikasa being half-Asian makes her valuable to, er, slave traders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom