• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! Sigma 1 (Volume 15. Ch62 because of printing orders)

So Sigma's most recent event after The Second Raid is the Christmas Arc. As chapters are roughly analogous to episodes, I consider this the first episode of the new storyline. In which Mz. Kagurazaka announces that, since the Class Trip to Okinawa was ruined for them (but not Mr. Onizuka's class, nor Ms. Yukari's), they'll be going on a Christmas Cruise instead aboard the Chrysalis Cruiseliner. Kaname is somewhat disappointed, as December 24th is her birthday. It is also the birthday of
Tessa, Bunny Morauta, Sarah Miller, Leonard, and possibly Sousuke, depending on whether you believe he's a Whispered or not.
After school Sousuke and the Mythril gang are investigating an island called Badame, which is the last thing Gauron said to Sousuke before dying (except not in the anime, where Gauron does not offer his final clue.). So some action happens at Badame and then, afterward, Mao manages to set Sousuke and Tessa up on a "date" in the cafeteria.

Since Mao is best girl, we get to see her in things like a dress uniform here.

Anyway, Mao herself interrupts the date to hilariously ask Sousuke if he knows Persian. Mao's American, so of course she thinks this makes all the sense in the world, what with Sousuke being from the Middle East and all. When he points out he knows how to speak several languages common to Afghanistan, where he grew up, she just cuts him off and announces: Badame in Persian means Chrysalis! DUN DUN DUN.

Metrotab

Banned
Samurai Champloo - 20

I didn't know Fuu had feelings for Jin. Or does she? It's left quite ambiguous.

Once again, the triumvirate is split.

CorvoSol

For half a minute I did not think the guy in Garzey's Wing's helmet read "Aral." LOL. This is going to be something.

WAS THAT A GOOSE?

SHOW ME THE ANCIENT JAPANESE MAN'S SPIRIT!!!

Sure, I'm already showing you everything else, since this Goose apparently carried me naked from my body.

In terms of who is 'at fault' with regards to the filler, it was NHK who demanded that the series be lengthened after is received high ratings early on. It wasn't their choice, as such, and they were already way overworked due to their concern with making the show look great. The art and animation looks legitimately incredible at points.

It's really more of an academic debate at this point because you really can skip through the filler at this point, which is what the director actually did when he compiled his ideal re-edit of the entire series. I'd advise anyone watching the series today to do the same.

Pretty much nailed it. I only watched all the filler because I wanted to get a complete picture of what went wrong and why/see how bad it actually got compared to the core show. I don't regret that decision either, as much as I bitch about those island episodes.

Full Metal Panic! Volume 5

BKtZuWYCYAEHyN9.jpg:large

Woh. This is playing out pretty goddamn different from 2nd Raid.
The twins are actually boys, and despite already being in Hong Kong, there's been no mention of Gates. I'm assuming he was an anime-only character created so that there'd be a central baddie outside of Gauron. I'm actually surprised they managed to stretch Day by Day into a 12 episode season considering how quick the pace of the books is. Hell, the twins have barely had any page time, with the younger brother's first appearance being the fight with Kaname on the roof before being killed.

I'm really glad I didn't skip these first few novels. I had assumed that events were largely the same, but there are quite a few changes here and there.

CorvoSol

He definitely has no penis.

This man has no penis.

Why does no one comment on this, let alone the guy being naked and having Goose wings on his ankles? They're just like "OH YO IT'S GARZEY'S WING."

OH MY GOD IS THIS A REAL WAR!?!?!

HE'S JUST A NAKED DUDE, how does that terrify trained soldiers and TYRANNOSAURS?

Jarmel

Banned
I'm not even done with episode 28 of Turn-A and holy shit the stupidity of these characters is something to behold. Even for Tomino, this is some stupid shit.

Flower of Evil 7
tumblr_mn4frmpSm51qbxqfpo1_500.png

Kasuga is easily earning himself a spot on the worst male lead characters in anime list, Why does each week the writer make him so much worst than before. If this was at least in the traditional animated medium then perhaps he'd have a great appearance and could be forgiven for his action but in this style, I just cant connect still.
Begging to terribly rude and vulgar mouthed Nakamura was just the worst and then all teary eyed, how sad and embarrassing, How could he get so low in life to need her help for such a mundane and silly issue that Saeki has most likely forgotten about?

I will say the ending scene was kind of fun simply because it looked like the characters they were modeled after were just having fun with the whole scene...wouldn't mind hearing their thoughts on it.

CorvoSol

IS THAT THE WORK OF YAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTO?

WE NEED LAND AND FOOD FOR OUR PEOPLE TO SURVIVE FOR WOMEN TO GIVE BIRTH TO OUR CHILDREN FOR OUR TRIBE!!

WHY WOULD YOU THINK THIS IS THE WORK OF A GHOST?

I HEAR MYSELF CALLING TO ME.

That's some Evangelion levels of deep, there.

CorvoSol

OH MY GOD I FELT LIKE I WAS HAVING A DREAM.

Your sword isn't the only thing that's unbelievably dull.

I MUST SOMEHOW MAKE SENSE OF OUR CONVOLUTED SITUATION!!

I'm glad they at least acknowledge it.

Oh my gosh this conversation is hilarious.

"If you're in danger, I'll do chi, which is the unification of-"
"I'M BEING CHASED BY A REAL ARMY."

CorvoSol

My body is covered in bruises because I had to fight naked.

IF YOU HAD A CONVENIENCE STORE THEN I WOULD LIVE WITH YOU.

IT'S REALLY STICKY WHEN YOU PUT IT ON YOUR HANDS.

Oh my gosh those wing roots are horrifying. Apparently being a faerie is creepier than expected.

thetechkid

So I haven't seen any anime or paid attention to it for about a year outside of Conan and One Piece, so is there anything I should watch that isn't Titan? Has there been something that looks like Star Driver but story wise is the opposite of Star Driver?

CorvoSol

Why would I give arrows to people who didn't have useable bows?

Garzey's Wing 1

This is the greatest anime dub of all time. And the anime itself is no slouch, either.

Pretty cool official music video for Devil Survivor 2 OP song Take Your Way, even if the second half of the video reuses some scenes from the first half. Of course, the full song itself is hot, because livetune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ-NG0kZURg

My other favorite OP this season. I need it.
tumblr_mn4h0z9e3N1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Such great character design and the other dude too, somehow ended up teary eyed at a certain part of it there :( Why can't it be a real anime, it'd be worth watching I think.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Gunbuster - 06 [END]

What a spectacular finale. Watching
Noriko and Kazumi descend into the center of that gravity bomb while saying goodbye to their close friend and comrade Jung was incredibly hard to watch. Jung was willing and able to sacrifice herself as she knew this would be the last time she would see them, if not by their sacrifice to detonate the bomb, to the fact that once they finally returned to Earth she would've long passed away by then. That entire scene made a wreck out of me after already being put through the emotional blender of Noriko receiving Kimiko's final letter. Replaying the video message of Kimiko's daughter was an echo of what her own father had done before meeting his own demise, and it gave me chills at the thought that Noriko would meet the same fate. With all this build up you could imagine my surprise at how Noriko and Kazumi were not only able to escape the explosion but made it back to Earth as well (though 12,000 years had passed there). It was pretty bittersweet. I mean, I'm incredibly happy they survived and that the people on Earth had been waiting all these years for them to return, but at the same time none of their friends are alive at this point so all they have left is each other.

I can feel the tingly sensation at the corner of my eyes and I certainly feel like crying, but I honestly cannot find any strength within me to do so right now. Thank you all for recommending and pushing this show for as long as you have. Thank you.

KoiChoco 9

ioVDz4OC9eVyL.jpg

Sadistic + glasses + that weird ass hair + Kugyuu = Supreme Boner

Why is Chisato so shitty and the worst person in the world? Her childhood friend jealousy is at obscene levels and it's completely awful, and it even
KILLED YUUKI!!???!
Kugyuu seems like she's going to save this show and spice things up, and maybe lead us to that fucked intro in the first episode.

OceanBlue

So I haven't seen any anime or paid attention to it for about a year outside of Conan and One Piece, so is there anything I should watch that isn't Titan? Has there been something that looks like Star Driver but story wise is the opposite of Star Driver?

The Anime of the Year list for 2012 is a good place to look if you're interested in shows from last year. As for the Star Driver question, I wish :(. There are rumors of promising shows (which I don't follow enough) so there are always those to look forward to.

CorvoSol

Garzey's Wing 2

I INTENTIONALLY FELL OFF TO PROTECT THE HORSE'S FEELINGS.
WE CANNOT GAIN THE PEOPLE'S CONFIDENCE IF WE CANNOT TURN LORD CHRIS INTO GARZEY'S WING.

Who does that? Who comes up in the middle of a conversation a guy is having with a chick in a swimsuit and asks "DO YOU HAVE A CRUSH ON HER?"

Broken Blade's OP was okay, but its ED was where it was at.

"DID YOU INVENT THE GADDA FUSE YET?"

Bro, how do you ask someone "DID YOU INVENT THAT YET?"

Instro

Idol Project 1-4

Idolm@ster should have been as ridiculous as this. Corvette is the greatest idol of all time. So :SDBurton.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Gunbuster - 06 [END]

I can feel the tingly sensation at the corner of my eyes and I certainly feel like crying, but I honestly cannot find any strength within me to do so right now. Thank you all for recommending and pushing this show for as long as you have. Thank you.
3Ra3SNul.jpg

CorvoSol

The best part? It's all from the mind of Yoshiyuki Tomino of Gundam fame.

This explains everything. I really do think Tomino went insane halfway through Zeta Gundam and just never recovered.

I CANNOT ACT LIKE AN ANCIENT JAPANESE MAAAAAAAN

WHAT IS THAT LIGHT THERE

IT MUST BE GARZEY'S WING.

Do people just assume every crazy thing that involves magic geese is Garzey's Wing? Is the Cosmic Goose Garzey?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Not sure what you mean by that. As for your other question, it's difficult to answer without knowing about your particular tastes. I would recommend checking AnimeGAF's Anime of the Year threads.

CorvoSol

OH MAN THE GIANT'S VOICE.

OH MAN.

Your necklace is jumping my friend; the story of the mind and body separation must therefore be true.

WHAT

WHERE DO YOU THINK I CAN MAKE HELIUM GAS?

SHIT! THEN CAN YOU MAKE A GUN?

Bro, if he can't make a kite or a balloon, how is he going to make a GUN?

Yamaterunomikotonotomeaormoru is the one who caused this.

Jarmel

Banned
Turn-A Gundam 28-

This feels like a jump the shark episode. So much stupidity everywhere that my mind is blown. Also this fucking scene:

ibv2Dw85kAifmp.jpg

Oh my god. And Laura should fully know better.

iHGbVqjwP7whm.png

-_-

The CardCaptor Sakura opening is the Japanese equivalent of the DuckTales theme.

IT WILL NEVER LEAVE IT WILL NEVER LEAVE.

Not that that's a bad thing...

Theonik

Gunbuster - 06 [END]
Manly tears

Perfect.

I always thought it was a cool touch how the イ is backwards and they use katakana, As if the people of Earth might not be super familiar with Japanese anymore.
Given how the earth Empire is basically some neo-Japanese dominion in the Gunbuster Universe that seems a bit unlikely. They must have intended it to be so.

Arjuna 7

Well shit just got a little real,
and supposedly even realer according to the preview. Is Arjuna getting pregnant REALLY a worthwhile thing to shove into here?
This better have a good payoff. Also still loving the music, particularly that song in this episode, Yoko Kanno can inject quality into anything can't she?

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 72: The Battle at Marr-Adetta (Part II)

~ A toast to democracy. ~

And so, the curtain falls for the Alliance Fleet. Bucock had some tremendous knowledge of the environmental factors, but his fleet was simply too small.
Bittenfeld's optimism is so great. We've taken Iserlohn Fortress once, let's simply take it again! Eisenacher is so cool, the way he gives orders without uttering a single word.
Looks like Bucock's speech about friendship and master-servant relations in an autocracy stirred some thoughts in Reinhard's mind about Kircheis.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Gunbuster]
Manly tears

Given how the earth Empire is basically some neo-Japanese dominion in the Gunbuster Universe that seems a bit unlikely. They must have intended it to be so.
12000 years is a lot of time, so it is not a stretch to believe Japanese has become a forgotten language. There's actually very little if any references to Japanese in Diebuster, too!
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 72: The Battle at Marr-Adetta (Part II)

~ A toast to democracy. ~

And so, the curtain falls for the Alliance Fleet. Bucock had some tremendous knowledge of the environmental factors, but his fleet was simply too small.
Bittenfeld's optimism is so great. We've taken Iserlohn Fortress once, let's simply take it again! Eisenacher is so cool, the way he gives orders without uttering a single word.
Looks like Bucock's speech about friendship and master-servant relations in an autocracy stirred some thoughts in Reinhard's mind about Kircheis.
Stuff like this is why I can't be in the Reinhard camp.
The only people he ever defeated through clever tactics were dumb nobles. Every other time he is victorious by virtue of having the bigger guns.

Theonik

[Gunbuster]
12000 years is a lot of time, so it is not a stretch to believe Japanese has become a forgotten language. There's actually very little if any references to Japanese in Diebuster, too!
Until you look at how the Imperial government is dressed, which indicates society is still run by Japanese culture.

cajunator

Banned
Corvo is making me more and more tempted to watch Code Geass.

D0 it. Im curious to know which animal/breakfast combination ranking you give it.

Pretty cool official music video for Devil Survivor 2 OP song Take Your Way, even if the second half of the video reuses some scenes from the first half. Of course, the full song itself is hot, because livetune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ-NG0kZURg

Songs ok but I wish it wasn't auto tuned.

Why would I give arrows to people who didn't have useable bows?

Garzey's Wing 1

This is the greatest anime dub of all time. And the anime itself is no slouch, either.

This is one of the greatest feats of mankind.
You cant top Garzey Wing dub.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Gunbuster]
Until you look at how the Imperial government is dressed, which indicates society is still run by Japanese culture.
This might be a case then of the original language evolving far removed from its inception. Compare modern English to ye olde one and you will see many differences, and that's a language that has been alive for much less time. Or even Latin, which exists today in the form of the Romances but for all intents and purposes is dead.

The Flowers of Evil Episode 7

iQ1vziHwOL2Hd.gif

ibbfyD8Cm3HO0E.gif
Nagahama
ibbfyD8Cm3HO0E.gif

Episode of the year! Anime of the year! That scene in the manga was where I knew I was reading something special and Nagahama took that and made it into something that transcended my wildest expectations. Not to take away from the rest of the episode which was top notch as well. Can't wait for next week's episode!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom