• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewFresh

These are the times that I realize that I really need a default recommendation list that I can just copypasta.

Or an image with no names so that people can struggle to find out what shows you are talking about.
WwHJ2Tx.jpg

trejo

Or an image with no names so that people can struggle to find out what shows you are talking about.
FLCL
Mononoke
Mushishi
Penguindrum
Paranoia Agent
Samurai Champloo
Dennou Coil
Gurren Lagann
Boogiepop Phantom
Evangelion
Ranma 1/2
Haibane Renmei

What do I win?

/XX/

Interesting note about the Ultra Super Pictures short. The producer for the short is Ryousuke Inagaki. It seems like up until now he hasn't been part of USP, but rather Purple Cow Studio Japan.
Remember, he has recently been 'Project Manager' of Inferno Cop, a TRIGGER Inc., production (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=58222864&postcount=15272).

Notice how Dix-Neuf stops sucking big fat balls as soon as he goes from CGI mode to Glorious 2D Hand-Drawn mode. GAINAX knows what's up.
That Dix-Neuf's fight, Sushio's work... glorious!

DAMN YOU PIZZAROLLLLLLLL
New page, fair game ('50 Post Per Page' is cool)...

FMP! Sigma 2

So Sousuke ditches out on the cruise, and Kaname's pissed, but goes anyway, ignoring Sousuke's myriad attempts to explain about the mission he has on Christmas. Once aboard the ship, we meet the CREEPIEST captain ever, who explains that there will most definitely be no hijacking of his boat. He repeats this several times as Kaname and Kyoko notice there's something familiar about the crew of the ship. The captain's in the middle of repeating it when of course, the ship is hijacked by terrorists.

Which does not phase anyone in the class at all.

Oddly enough, we briefly see Mitsuki, Tsubaki, and Ren in this, even though the three of them aren't in Kaname's class, and this trip was just for those who were aboard the plane that got jacked. Unless, of course, we are to assume that Issei Tsubaki, Mitsuki, and Ren Mikihara were all there aboard the plane in Khanka that day.

This isn't an anime you cheater!

BluWacky

Emunoz's image made me think of something...

Is Ranma 1/2 still "essential" viewing? Obviously to a certain generation of anime fans it was, shall we say, The Shit, but I don't know whether it's really retained its status as a classic must-see. Is it just too old now? I rather thought that, of all of Takahashi's works, people are more likely to recommend Urusei Yatsura or Maison Ikkoku these days, but perhaps my perspective is skewed by time and the places I choose to hang out.

NewFresh

Is Ranma 1/2 still "essential" viewing? Obviously to a certain generation of anime fans it was, shall we say, The Shit, but I don't know whether it's really retained its status as a classic must-see. Is it just too old now? I rather thought that, of all of Takahashi's works, people are more likely to recommend Urusei Yatsura or Maison Ikkoku these days, but perhaps my perspective is skewed by time and the places I choose to hang out.

I really wouldn't consider it "Essential" viewing; however, it is very much worth watching. The first season and some of the OVA's especially. I would not argue with someone who would put Urusei Yatsura ahead of it, in terms of Takahashi's work. I think that, as you mentioned, the people who grew up with it hold a certain fondness for the work (It aired in Mexico throughout my childhood right before Dragon Ball). The comedic nature, along with the constant love triangles that are ALWAYS occurring between a dozen characters, is something I think remains fun and enjoyable to this day.

duckroll

Remember, he has recently been 'Project Manager' of Inferno Cop, a TRIGGER Inc., production (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=58222864&postcount=15272).

I think the same guy was also responsible for the audio dubbing management in Little Witch Academia, but if it's the same person, I wonder what that means for Patema Inverted. Is the movie still in production? Why isn't there a date for it other than "Fall 2013"? If it's still in production, why is the producer working at another studio on other things? It's a bit... strange.

I think the same guy was also responsible for the audio dubbing management in Little Witch Academia, but if it's the same person, I wonder what that means for Patema Inverted. Is the movie still in production? Why isn't there a date for it other than "Fall 2013"? If it's still in production, why is the producer working at another studio on other things? It's a bit... strange.

Patema Inverted is definitely in production - it must be basically finished, actually, since it's premiering at the Annecy Film Festival on June 13.

/XX/

Annecy International Animation Film Festival is commencing in 20 days and is going to be there.

As for Mr. Inagaki, maybe kViN (@Yuyucow) is onto something!

/XX/

The episode he was involved with in Panty & Stocking is the one produced by Purple Cow Studio. In fact, he's specifically credited on it for production desk under Purple Cow Studio.
But he is under Mr. Imaishi's wing now, it all makes sense! :p

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I wouldn't be surprised if Ranma's erstwhile popularity was simply due to it being available in the west in an age when not much else was, and those 90s otaku naturally became tastemakers for people entering the fandom.

I think that it generally holds up in the sense that the new generation of anime fans wouldn't find it foreign and impenetrable due to its age--it's essentially a harem battle shounen, and these two genres are still wildly popular today. I wonder if anime fans who have recently gotten into the hobby are simply more intimidated by long series that aren't Naruto/One Piece than older fans for whom this was much more common.

Looking at the credits for Patema Inverted on Annecy's website, two names pop out at me:

Music: Michiru Oshima
Sound: Akira Yamaoka

Interesting to see Yamaoka show up here; I don't believe he's worked on any anime before to my knowledge. And of course it'll be great to get another excellent orchestral soundtrack from Oshima.

Branduil

Anime Mirai 2014 announcement: http://www.animemirai.jp/news.php?p=161

Ultra Super Pictures
Director: Yasuhiro Yoshiura (Time of Eve, Patema Inverted)
Producer: Ryousuke Inagaki (Patema Inverted)
Title: Harmonie

A-1 Pictures
Director: Ayumu Watanabe (Space Brothers)
Producer: Makoto Sotozaki (Space Brothers)
Title: A Big First-year Student and a Small Second-year Student

Shinei Douga
Director: Kazuaki Imai (Episode director for Doraemon and Valkyria Chronicles TV)
Producer: Maiko Okada (Production desk for Doraemon series and movies)
Title: Parol and the Future Island (Tentative)

Studio 4C
Director: Naoyuki Onda (Character designer for Ergo Proxy)
Producer: Eiko Tanaka (head of Studio 4C)
Title: Under the Windy Sky

Well, that's a much better studio lineup from top to bottom than this year.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Spring dead and buried already, eh? Sure, let's listwarz.

HYPEEEEEEEEE

Danganronpa
Free!
Gatchaman Crowds

Shameful HYPEEEEEEEE

Monogatari S2
Watamote

Interest

Blood Lad
Genei o Kakeru Taiyou
Silver Spoon

because I lurk manGAF sometimes

Kimi no Iru Machi

just plain shame

Love Lab

glasses + turtleneck aaaaaghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Servant x Service

self-flagellation

Brothers Conflict
Symphogear G

need to finish S1

Hakkenden Hakken Touhou Ibun S2

fuck this for existing (not watching, just sayin')

Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou

trejo

Respect. Not that you didn't already have that.

Respect don't put food on my table!

*brofist*

Honestly I'm hoping for a console crash at this point.

Looks like I've got good news for you.

I don't know if I would consider it essential necessarily. I know in my case, just like emunoz, it was probably a matter of airing at the right place at the right time. It's still a well made show and I'd definitely recommend it over Inu Yasha as far as Rumiko Takahashi works go any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom