• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Gun x Sword 13

OH MY GOD.

HOLY CRAP.

OH MY GOD.

HOLY CRAP.

EARTH IS

AND THE CLAW IS

AND THE ARMORS ARE

AND ALL OF THIS IS

BUT THEN

SO WHY

OH MY GOD

HOLY CRAP

I'm just curious as to how you came to the conclusion that
Lelouche accidentally geassing Euphie into becoming the Euphinator was a calculated act of villainy in his evil master plan when it clearly wasn't

Wasn't it, though? It certainly looked accidental, but consider: what part of what happened in that stadium wasn't something Zero had already planned? He most definitely HAD planned on killing
Euphemia
, he'd planned on it as early as the Hotel Jacking, and while momentary caprice had spared her, no earlier than the day BEFORE going, he'd commented that he no longer loved her. And I'm not talking "I don't love you anymore." I'm talking eyes bulging, hands shaking "I USED TO LOVE HER."

So we KNOW he'd planned on killing her. And what about the defamation? He'd gone in there with the express plan of
forcing her to fire a gun at the symbol of Japanese Independence, in full view of the Japanese, and so fan the flames of his dying Rebellion.
And that happened. Oh, sure, the symbol was different, because
Independence is in the people, and not in himself,
but that's just due to his own ego.

And what about the many, many innocents who died? Well, this IS a war, and it's hardly the first time sacrifices and casualties were incurred. Who would blame him for that? But let's consider, this is the same man who
murdered would-be allies so that there would be no competition or threats to his power
, so clearly he's not above killing innocents to get what he wants, and if that isn't proof enough, consider the numerous Britanians ordered to obey and then self-terminate. Can we really say that not a single one of these people were innocents? No, we cannot. Zero has no compunctions about killing the innocent, and that should be telling enough, but the evidence is more damning than that.

After all, what happened no more than a few days later? At the peak of its bid for independence and sovereignty, Zero
abandoned Japan. He didn't leave any sort of contingency for it, either. He just out and out abandoned it because it no longer suited his need.
If nothing else, this proves that Japan is NOT Zero's number one priority, and that even his subordinates are not his number one priority. The entire rebellion is secondary, and so we may conclude that Zero cares neither for the lives of the innocents, and sees the Japanese as a means to an end, just as he does all others.

Now consider, Zero had just given the command to
Euphemia, to fire a gun, defame herself, and destroy the symbol of Japanese Independence.
This was, I believe we may agree, the spirit of the command, if not the letter. Geass did not activate, of course, but did it not activate because Zero chose not to? Because on some level he didn't want it to, because he had not tried to use it (note that he does not immediately remark that it has failed him, suggesting he had not attempted to use it), but moments later, when the same command is reissued, in different phrasing, Geass "accidentally" triggers to disastrous effect.

Or does it? What evidence have we that what happened was an accident? None. Absolutely none. Consider: C2 and Mao have illustrated that a Geass eventually reaches the point when it cannot be turned off. but that isn't what happened here. Not actually. That Geass could not be turned off may be considered a "result" of that, I suppose, but it isn't what allegedly happened here. Here we have a case of a Geass activating when no command was issued. A misfire, if you will.

Except when have we been told that Geass can misfire? Never. Mao is shown to have his power on permanently, and we can accept that, but we're not told that Mao's powers turned on accidentally before that. In other words, we've no reason, other than Zero's own word, the word of a man who is a noted liar, traitor, murderer and user, that this thing happened against his will.

And then,
Euphemia attempts to fight it, falls to the floor, then succumbs, rises, "fights him off" and then runs out of the building in high heels and a regal dress.
Except that's impossible. Zero was above her, and he knew immediately what had happened. He had time to process that. He could have stopped her there. More to the point, in R2 we're shown that Zero is capable of outrunning a girl in a dress and high heels, that it is well within the bounds of what he is physically capable of doing.

But Zero doesn't do that, does he? He instead lets her get to her feet, run out of the building, and do precisely what he had wanted, allowing for all events to proceed precisely as he had wanted them to all along.

Even if Zero hadn't planned it, though, he most certainly wanted it, and he most definitely possessed the power to stop it, and most definitely did not. Everything that happened happened according to his design, one way or the other.

That, sir, is my case.

She's not a pure white mage. She's white magic/shamanism, so there's quite a bit of overlap with Zelgadis. She even knows Rah Tilt.

I thought Zel had to teach her the Rah Tilt?

For the sake of their body proportions, I add 3 years onto her.

Did you know Lyn from Fire Emblem is supposed to be 15 as well? NOA changed it to 18 for the American release.

This is why I usually add 5-10 years to any character's age.

Mature

^Wow I'm surprised there's something in GunxSword worth making that much of a fuss about.

It's not part of the TV schedule.

Not before Space Dandy airs.
Bingo.

I really need to see the premise and tone of Dandy before deciding either way. The dedicated comedy episodes in Champloo and Bebop weren't my favorite. I think Watanabe is good at adding in comedy elements but I'm not sure how he's going to handle a primarily comedic show.
See, I love the comedic and light hearted episodes in both of those. I feel like Space Dandy will be a bit like those two, but instead with serious episodes few and far between and comedic episodes aplenty. At least, that's what I would suspect with the little amount of information available. Either way, i'm excited at the potential.

Ah well, that sounds promising. I've kinda lost any excitement I might have had over a Seiji Kishi announcement over the last few years, but the rest sounds neat. This is the kind of premise where I need the characters to be good for me to stay interested, so I'm glad that the characters are entertaining.

The characters are exaggerated versions of popular culture stereotypes (though not always played straight) - that's the reason why they were admitted to this elite academy in the first place. So you've got your Super High School Level Baseball Player, your Super High School Level Idol, your Super High School Level Doujin Artist, your Super High School Level Delinquent, and so forth. It's a pretty colorful cast.

Dresden

Matsumoto's strengths lie in fantastic (as in fantasy, though they are fantastic too) backgrounds, and Kimi no Iru Machi doesn't seem to really have an opportunity for that.

Merry had some nice 'mundane' bg art.

e: scrubbing through the second episode is rekindling my love for the (first half of this) show.

OkIKxQ3.jpg

God have mercy on my soul

Oreimo S2 1-7

Kirino is still a bitch. Kuroneko still adorable. Manami still the best girl.

Episode 7 was full of great humour, the best of both seasons in my opinion.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Romeo x Juliet 20

Uh oh...
conspire against Juliet's Destiny? I don't like the sound of that.

I like watching Prince Mongague squirm knowing he's lost

Ah, so that's it. Juliet has to sacrifice herself to save Escalus? Well, that's one way to make a bittersweet ending. There's got to be more than that, but I'm ready to find out.

I'm finishing this tomorrow, even if it wrecks my heart.

EDIT: Oh crap the ending line from Juliet that closes the preview of the next episode changed. Shit...

Ugh, my sleep schedule is ruined. Goddamn anime and games.

Yuyushiki 7
qxApdhv.jpg

Just look at what a goddamn baller yellow is!

Holy shit how did I not notice this before? This is basically a harem show with a female lead! It even comes complete with a childhood friend, a shameless masochistic pervert, a shy girl, and even a jealous rival. Yellow confirmed for harem lead of the forever, female harem leads are the goddamn FUTURE OF ANIME!

e: scrubbing through the second episode is rekindling my love for the (first half of this) show.

http://i.imgur.com/OkIKxQ3.jpg

OK, that is pretty great.

Yuyushiki 7

Holy shit how did I not notice this before? This is basically a harem show with a female lead! It even comes complete with a childhood friend, a shameless masochistic pervert, a shy girl, and even a jealous rival. Yellow confirmed for harem lead of the forever, female harem leads are the goddamn FUTURE OF ANIME!

Sounds like you should become 7th's disciple.

JCG

Gun x Sword 13

OH MY GOD.

HOLY CRAP.

OH MY GOD.

HOLY CRAP.

EARTH IS

AND THE CLAW IS

AND THE ARMORS ARE

AND ALL OF THIS IS

BUT THEN

SO WHY

OH MY GOD

HOLY CRAP

Aren't you on episode 12? I thought you were. In any case, this three-parter is probably my second favorite part of the show. Everything comes together and sets up most of what the second half will be about.

CorvoSol

Kiddy Grade 9

BUCKLES AND HORSE. DAAAAWWW. That's cute and all, but you guys shouldn't have told Eclair your Submissive names. I mean, not normally how you great a lady, I've been told.

OH SNAP LUMIERE TOOK A PILL! GUNDAM TAUGHT ME THAT PILLS ARE DRUGS AND BAD FOR YOU.

Is Buckles drunk on the job, or just permanently embarrassed? Jeez, Eclair, buckle up! CLICK IT OR TICKET, girlfriend! Don't just assume Mr. Veruccio is the lady's husband. He could be her dad or brother.

HO DANG ECLAIR HAS A WALTHER 99? How James Bond~!

Yo, Donner is such a boss that he can take you through re-entry, no space suits required, and you'll be fine. Donner is a boss.

Also, I gotta say, Cajun, this episode was pretty good. Eclair was in a suit the whole time, the entire thing felt almost more like an investigation than "Fanservice spacewomen flash you and smash them!" Not bad, not bad at all.

"I don't want to lose you again!"

AGAIN?

OH HO HO THE PLOT THICKENS.

Aren't you on episode 12? I thought you were. In any case, this three-parter is probably my second favorite part of the show. Everything comes together and sets up most of what the second half will be about.

Er, yeah, oops. I meant 12.

trejo

That, sir, is my case.

Oh my.

My take on the situation was that it was a hilarious asspull of a plot twist in a show that had already gone full on Sunrise mode by that point. I commend and appreciate your lengthy explanation but I also get the feeling you might be putting a bit too much thought into this. In any case, my curiosity is sated and I thank you for taking the time to respond.

Duckroll protects everyone.

We're all doomed.

CorvoSol

Oh my.

My take on the situation was that it was a hilarious asspull of a plot twist in a show that had already gone full on Sunrise mode by that point. I commend and appreciate your lengthy explanation but I also get the feeling you might be putting a bit too much thought into this. In any case, my curiosity is sated and I thank you for taking the time to respond.

We're all doomed.

I definitely am, but I'll go to great lengths to vilify Lelouch, 'cuz I need to put in explicable terms my emotional reaction to seeing my favorites get torn down like that.

Dresden

motto doremi movie thing secret of the frog stone -

Clearing out my backlog - meant to watch this last week - it was pretty good. Yamauchi's usual style of odd camera angles and unexpected close-ups works well here with the constant unbalancing of the characters/viewer. Lots of striking imagery, too, with the repetition, especially, of the masks and all the symbolic baggage associated with them. It goes to some surprisingly dark places, but then, it seems in line with the two Doremi episodes I've seen courtesy of Geneijin.

53iDDjpl.jpg

There's a really nice scene near the end where the sheer weight of all that build-up comes to a head and it's both disturbing and amusing--disturbing due to the implications and the accretion of expectations from the off-kilter direction, amusing thanks to the slapstick elements that take place even as the implications struggle with what you know to be the actual truth.

wonzo

Banned
Wow, and I thought it was just them being absurd again. Today's just been full of revelations.
Huh, I thought it was pretty overt tbqh.

OkIKxQ3.jpg
If only they just stuck to the manga plot. ;_;

Ojamajo Doremi 11

Love Blooms even in the rain.

Hadzuki episode, where Doremi and Ai-chan do nothing of value (well, 5 yen's worth). Black hair girl who I just forgot had self esteem issues with getting called out by the boy she likes (feelings are mutual), and gets all moping and crap.

Reminds me of how boys hide their feelings, and it's kinda painful to remember that fact.

motto doremi movie thing secret of the frog stone

This looks creepier than what I have witnessed so far.

JCG

To be fair, the mechanics of the twist can be considered an asspull, but the thematics line up better than that. Most people tend to focus on the first of those, obviously, but it's not particularly hard to see CorvoSol isn't inventing everything he wrote down.

Whether the event that triggered the final result was an accident or not, Lelouch did intentionally plan to take advantage of the situation in cruel ways and he still carried that out regardless of what had happened. He's far from blameless in either case.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
This looks creepier than what I have witnessed so far.
FOR KIDS

Actually, kids often aren't given enough credit. Obviously you can't do things the same way as for adults and young children shouldn't be exposed to actual violence, but it's not like you need to sanitize and dumb everything down.

cajunator

Banned

Mind. Blown.

Kiddy Grade 9

BUCKLES AND HORSE. DAAAAWWW. That's cute and all, but you guys shouldn't have told Eclair your Submissive names. I mean, not normally how you great a lady, I've been told.

OH SNAP LUMIERE TOOK A PILL! GUNDAM TAUGHT ME THAT PILLS ARE DRUGS AND BAD FOR YOU.

Is Buckles drunk on the job, or just permanently embarrassed? Jeez, Eclair, buckle up! CLICK IT OR TICKET, girlfriend! Don't just assume Mr. Veruccio is the lady's husband. He could be her dad or brother.

HO DANG ECLAIR HAS A WALTHER 99? How James Bond~!

Yo, Donner is such a boss that he can take you through re-entry, no space suits required, and you'll be fine. Donner is a boss.

Also, I gotta say, Cajun, this episode was pretty good. Eclair was in a suit the whole time, the entire thing felt almost more like an investigation than "Fanservice spacewomen flash you and smash them!" Not bad, not bad at all.

"I don't want to lose you again!"

AGAIN?

OH HO HO THE PLOT THICKENS.

Er, yeah, oops. I meant 12.

I havent seen the show in ages but I think the proverbial shit is about to hit the fan.

FOR KIDS

Actually, kids often aren't given enough credit. Obviously you can't do things the same way as for adults and young children shouldn't be exposed to actual violence, but it's not like you need to sanitize and dumb everything down.

That's why shows like MLP became popular.

CorvoSol

ZZ Gundam 7

AHAHAHAHAH?A. Is this guy crying actual tears because he didn't get to pilot his mobile Suit? This show. THIS SHOW. THIS SHOW GUYS THIS SHOW.

This is what Zeon has become, guys. They went from being a credible threat to a comedic distraction. It'd hurt if they hadn't always been sorta idiots to begin with. As in, they just drew a rose in the sky. I blame Char for this. He kind of killed all their competent leaders and this is what they've become.

Bright MUST be in a tight spot if he's letting FA pilot the Zeta Gundam.

I-is that guy wearing lipstick? I kinda feel like these Zeon guys aren't taking this whole "war" thing seriously. Wow, dude gives a HUGE speech about how evil the Argama is and how the Zeon are limiting their damage to the colony because of honor unlike the Argama, and then screams into the mic that he'll destroy the Argama even if it wrecks the colony.

LOL.

Oh dang, this has to be a new record. Judau drew his first blood in what, 7 episodes? Compared to Amuro that's quick. Kamile is maybe, if you discount several accidents in the beginning.

Man, seeing Yazan Gable as a cameo hobo is getting real old. Is he gonna eat that pig? Sleep with it? Dress it up in a Titans uniform and pretend its Bask Om?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Smile Precure 1-3

Ok, there's something I don't get. The bad guys are accomplishing their goal exactly as planned. They're winning. Why do they need to stick around just to give the good guys symbolic victories over meaningless battles?

At least when Jadeite collected energy you got the sense he was being slowed down by a lot.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Smile Precure 1-3

Ok, there's something I don't get. The bad guys are accomplishing their goal exactly as planned. They're winning. Why do they need to stick around just to give the good guys symbolic victories over meaningless battles?

At least when Jadeite collected energy you got the sense he was being slowed down by a lot.
Blame the Countdown Clock. The villains' modus operandi is pretty much the same in Fresh Precure!, but because there's not a unitary measure to tell the audience when shit is going to hit the fan you can tell where the villains' frustration comes from.

KoiChoco 12 (END)

ibjHU9M79ZdOvz.jpg

Pretty much.

This show was at its best when it was a bunch of weird people trying to save their club through seemingly impossible means, but that awful drama that was riddled in the second half of the show along with the dumb "let's make a big deal about fucking school government" plot I simply could not give a single shit about. Average show with some fun moments here and there, but fuck that drama so hard.

Obligatory girl rankings:
Morishita > Sensei > Mii-chan > Satsuki > that one reporter > poor girl voiced by Mai Kadowaki > Non-chan > the rest >>>>>>>>> shit >>>>>>>>>>> Chisato

Smile Precure 1-3

I don't think they were exactly aware at how it worked at first, so that's why.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well it's a really short bit that I didn't give much thought to at the time other than that I liked corner pieces because of how easy they are. Wonder what that says about me.

It simply says that you haven't yet been corrupted.

Smile Precure 1-3

Here's my shitty justification: even if the villains are successfully working toward their objective, this doesn't preclude the fact that the Precure exist to permanently thwart this objective, serving as a constant threat to the successful revival of Pierrot. Thus, it's still the obligation of the villains to attempt to kill the Precure even after they've collected Bad Energy because present success in no way ensures that there will not be an eventual catastrophic reversal of fortunes.

or what Regulus said, yeah.

OreImo 2 - 04
Just when you hoped this show wasn't going to need any more fanservice, especially after the really nice Saori episode...

First shot - nekkid 12 year old. Then nekkid Kirino. Then pantsu. Then -- oh my gosh what is even going on.

This gave me a laugh, though:
Uj0y3VW.jpg

A beater in his natural habitat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom