• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is Saint Seiya Omega any good?

The new character and his awefull design made me stop watching the show. i will restart watching soon but that was too much for me to handle.

Horrible.

------------------
Hyakka Ryouran - 08

This episode was part comedy ( good ),

Part perverted ( So perverted , so NSFW )

Without too many ink effects

So ..2 girls can practise kissing together during a entire afternoon ? . .... ROGER THAT

It had good potential and lots of good moments, but otherwise. It never excels to be anything more than another typical action show for the demographic. Its enjoyable with great music, but lots of boring moments all throughout.

The new character and his awefull design made me stop watching the show. i will restart watching soon but that was too much for me to handle.

Horrible.

------------------
Hyakka Ryouran - 08

This episode was part comedy ( good ),

Part perverted ( So perverted , so NSFW )

Without too many ink effects

So ..2 girls can practise kissing together during a entire afternoon ? . .... ROGER THAT

So out of all this, I grab 2 girls practicing kissing and that Saint Seiya is a crime against humanity. Not happy with this
girl kissing is the best part

If only every other Funimation set could get such great treatment. Though I guess only the best for Guilty Crown. Maybe Attack on Titan could get such treatment too.
tumblr_mn820izhGY1qbxqfpo1_1280.jpg

This limited edition includes two 108-page full-color artbooks containing concept art, character designs, creator notes, and other exclusive illustrations.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Personally I just think it's a flaw that she has any inkling of weakened evil resolve to begin with :lol Sometimes antagonists should just be antagonists!

Can't argue against that! :lol

============================

Toaru Kagaku no Railgun - 23

Lg0IJQD.png
0LLgHfv.png

Kongou has it bad for Mikoto!
After taking a momentary break I'm back on Railgun so I can get caught up to season 2. I knew
Telestina was going to be evil
but a small part of me wished it wasn't true as she's incredibly pretty and appeared to be very sweet and caring when she was first introduced. Now, she's a crazy psycho toting a grenade launcher and a suit of armor that would make Tony Stark do a double take.

Asobi ni Iku Yo 6

iOQnLLiyR9idj.jpg

So cat people are just like regular people.

Not a whole lot is happening anymore now that the previous conflict with the greatest cult in the world. Childhood friend is gonna childhood friend etc etc, I think we need a beach episode to get back to something lewd.

K-On! 03:

dat feel when one person in your group is slowing everyone else's progress. I'm amused by the fact that all of the other keions have to drop whatever it is that they're doing and meet Yui's every need as soon as she needs it just to keep their club afloat. Simultaneously their savior and their worst nightmare. Mugi alone is probably sinking tens of thousands of yen per week into procuring exotic desserts just to continue luring Yui into the club room like some kind of pigeon. Surely bribing an actually-talented student to join would be cheaper?

What does everyone in this show have against bread crust?

If you look at the fine china Mugi has been letting them use, I don't think she cares if she spends some pocket change for the girls. Mugi isn't just any other rich girl.

K-ON! is all about the growth of Yui, from lazy slob to less of a lazy slob. Ok, that's a bit harsh, but I think you'll appreciate it all when it comes to the finale of the first season.

Well yeah I guess but I was more going for the angle that people watch the other two series (and others) because they're routinely mentioned as being good and rank highly for many people. I was just wondering whether the lack of any kind of similar appreciation in some aspect is down to most people having seen it or whether it's just because more people don't want to pick it up as opposed to something else.

I suppose a series of thoughtful, reflective short stories which rely strongly on a brooding atmosphere is a harder sell than "This is going to be a thrilling ride!".

Never heard of Mushishi. What's it about and how long is it?

Jeff gave a good description, so I'll just add that it's 26 episodes. In addition, while nothing is officially announced there's good reason to believe that a second season is currently being worked on.

Theonik

Arata naru Sekai - Future

This is a one shot OVA directed by Yuzuru Tachikawa and animated by Madhouse - the same team which created Death Billiards for Anime Mirai 2013. I was curious about it, since Tachikawa hasn't really directed much else aside from episodes of TV anime, and that curiosity kinda paid off. It was a pretty good short, even though it's not entirely self contained and is meant to play off the two other pieces included in the box (a novel and a one-shot manga). The character arc is complete enough for it to be enjoyed without the other pieces though.

One thing that's interesting about this OVA is how it doesn't try to dramatize the setting at all, even though it is a classic scifi scenario about time travel. In that aspect, it reminded me a lot of how Hosoda approached The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. The characters are rather natural and low-key, and there's a distinct sense that what is unusual about their activities is only unusual to the viewer, as the characters seldom do anything which calls to attention the fact that it is scifi.

Tachikawa does a pretty great job of making the visuals appealing, and there are some really nice character moments littered all over. It's nice to see attention paid to making quiet and rather inconsequential scenes simply feel better and flow better through good direction. I rather liked the choices in perspective, layout, transitions, and so on. There are some really nice close-ups scenes featuring hands and feet. I never knew Tachikawa had that much Yamauchi in him!

This isn't really a fantastic OVA by any means, and the script lacks the sort of tightness and depth which could have made it more memorable or special, but for what it is as a leisurely look at a group of girls being sent into the distant future to just look around, it was rather enjoyable. The director certainly did a good job with the material he had.
Sounds like I should watch this over the next few days.

Tenumi

Banned
Smile Percure 30

Finally have everything back on track. Should be able to finish by Saturday.

Uh oh, I'm falling behind!

Smile Precure: 30

Actually, I like the speed I'm going at. Probably won't be finished with this until end of this month, early next.

Solar Flare!

So the Precure go around the world using the bookcase transportation thingy. Except where in the Amazon Rainforest is a bookcase? But an Akambe defeated, a new toy found, and the plot starting to ramp up. Should be fun.

OceanBlue

You know, for all that people mention Mushishi, I don't think I've seen anyone go through the series int he same way that say, there's a cycle of people that go through Utena or Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I wonder if that's because mostly everyone has seen it or nobody rises to the bait?

I suppose a series of thoughtful, reflective short stories which rely strongly on a brooding atmosphere is a harder sell than "This is going to be a thrilling ride!".

I'm currently watching it on your (and others') recommendations, and it's definitely fantastic. It kinda feels like I don't know what to say about it though, which is why I haven't really said anything about it until now. It feels like such a well-done show--I never feel as if the show is going too slow or too fast and I've never asked myself what the purpose of a scene was--but I can't think of any specific thing to ramble about. Everything just feels so natural. I don't want to make posts saying, "I liked this episode. This is what happened in it," but I don't think I have anything more intelligent or interesting to say. :(

There are a lot of lolis though which is pretty cool.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Humanity Has Declined 1-3

I started watching this as I noticed that it was in the top 10 best anime of 2012.
I can't seem to get in to this show or the characters, nor have I found it very funny aside from the poem in episode 2 about the 7 children.

Is there any point in e try to soldier on or do the first 3 episodes basically show what this anime is all about?
Might just not be your cup of tea. Personally, I liked the show throughout but it's not like it's something with universal appeal.

Oh, and when DTL says something is bad he means it has women onscreen.

Hyakka ryouran - 09

OMG i think this anime is growing on me.

But damn if it didn't became even more Perverted during the last episodes i've seen.

Hyakka%20Ryouran%20Samurai%20Girls%20-%2009_01.jpg

How dare they !
This one above is the "baka" of the show , her gags started "ok" but the current runing gags are just awesome.
I can't get enough of seeing her stumped and beaten by all the various pairings in the show.Her delusions are equaly awesome and varied enough to create needless conflicts when needed .

Priceless.

-Hanzou -san , weren't you a masochist ?
-No i'm an Extreme Masochist

Ok.gif.

Now they aren't even trying to hide .
Especially with the new character , Gisen. Now this anime has all the bases covered. We needed a threat to the current harem and she does it pretty well.

And then the reveal ! Everyone who didn't pay attention was fooled of course but it resulted in a fine fight with the big brother coming back with his overpowered samourai , no that's not it slave ? NO that's not it either . test subject ? No Pawn she is .. i can already see her demise if they get predictable.

And just before the serious reveal , we get a little "baka" character abuse :)

About the serious matter :

I cannot believe even one second that this was all the truth here.

All this power in one hand is gonna put everyone on edge , and that "brother" is obviously a bad guy too.
"i'm kidnapping girls from around the country to harness their power to protect the country from ... the soul of a reincarnated rebel ???
By bad luck all 7 people with power to stop me are dead .
"
..Seriously ??

If he isn't lying this is some nonsense in term of story.

OceanBlue

Quite the takeaway!

Lol, it's pretty noticeable. (The first third of) Mushishi uses a lot of children in its stories, presumably because their innocent nature makes them more sympathetic on first impressions and due to the stories Mushishi has been telling. More often than not, the people who are in trouble are girls, not boys.

I'm not complaining though. They're cute. :D

CorvoSol

2w591.gif

I must not click those links...I must not click those links.... The music is so much more powerful when I hear it during the action!

Trust me when I say then that the show's presentation quality improves dramatically when KyoAni picks it it up. I don't know anything about anything about the Studio Warz that happen here in Anime GAF, but I do know the transition from Gonzo to KyoAni did wonders for the show's presentation.

Ultimadrago

Lol, it's pretty noticeable. (The first third of) Mushishi uses a lot of children in its stories, presumably because their innocent nature makes them more sympathetic on first impressions. More often than not, the people who are in trouble are girls, not boys.

I'm not complaining though. They're cute. :D

Hah, I see. I've yet to watch it yet myself, but it wasn't a conclusion I came to from the few screens seen. Not that I mind!

Though I am appreciating - on an intellectual level - Chiho's well rounded arguments.

I respect your approach, PT.

It probably just confirms that ManGAF is tsundere as fuck.

I wonder what a personified ManGAF would look like...

SDBurton

Toaru Kagaku no Railgun - 24 [Season 1 END]

Wow, what an ending! The scene where
Mikoto roars out Kuroko's name who comes falling from the sky to her aid was fucking awesome!!
That's true tag team love right there! Glad everything worked out for
Kiyama too.
Happy endings all around!

Now onward to the next season, hopefully that piece of shit Touma gets little screen time there too.

I'm currently watching it on your (and others') recommendations, and it's definitely fantastic. It kinda feels like I don't know what to say about it though, which is why I haven't really said anything about it until now. It feels like such a well-done show--I never feel as if the show is going too slow or too fast and I've never asked myself what the purpose of a scene was--but I can't think of any specific thing to ramble about. Everything just feels so natural. I don't want to make posts saying, "I liked this episode. This is what happened in it," but I don't think I have anything more intelligent or interesting to say. :(

There are a lot of lolis though which is pretty cool.

Glad you're enjoying it. For the very reason that it has a lot more effort and thought put into it than most shows, and that its meaning isn't straightforward, I think's it's more difficult to comment on than most shows.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 2000 1

So a look into this OVA since lord knows when we'll get another one, and has some hefty plot information
rather how Joseph and Jotaro gained their stands being linked to Dio's revival and whatnot.
There's a bit of poses and whatnot, but it certainly lacks that fantastic flair displayed in the newer TV series. But it's animated at least.

Joseph, why is your hair blonde?

This is so lewd (NSFW)

Toriko 102
tumblr_mn850jVaGY1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mn850jVaGY1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Riki-san should design more. Creative, yet once again not something I could eat...too kawaii. Nothing spectacular about the episode really even if it had tons of acton
Why they lose like that :(
. Am not that excited for this training arc :(

Kyon

Banned
Sword Art Ep 16-19

Why in the actual frak.........

This incest/cousin/sister/Random Boob shots mess is what I'm guessing people were trying to warn me about.

I lost like all interest. This could be 10000% better without the sister.

Kirito and Yui tho <3333333

Articalys

A transcript of the audience Q&A session with Mamoru Hosoda at the New York Int'l Children's Film Festival a couple months ago, along with a one-on-one interview a few days later, courtesy of Otaku USA:

http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/Anime/News1/Mamoru_Hosoda_Brings_Wolf_Children_to_America_5116.aspx
http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/Anime/News1/Mamoru_Hosoda_Exclusive_Interview_5117.aspx

Fun fact gleaned from this interview: apparently working on Ojamajo Doremi Dokkan ep.40 was partially what inspired him to start working on The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

Joe Molotov

#TeamNeighbor is the only correct choice now. All previous waifus have been annihilated by her appearance. Chi and Emi reduced to Landlady-tier.

Syrinx

The Rose of Versailles 1

Why are they speaking Japanese in France?
Don't worry, I'm being facetious

Oscar is my kinda girl, and that military uniform looks great. But are they really gonna make her the head of the Royal Guard for Marie Antoinette when she's only 14 years old? (BTW, she does NOT look 14 at all)

I love how her dad was all "Fuck it, you're my son cause I said so!" when she was born. Not how it works, buddy. That's not to say she can't do her job: the way she smoked that dude in the duel was proof that she can, just that calling her your son is stupid and everybody probably makes fun of you while you aren't around for doing so

Edit: I hate typing on phones.

CorvoSol

Code Geass R2 7

Yeah, why would a British Empire ever renounce the TEN COMMANDMENTS? Then again, the King WOULD still be the Church, I guess, so he'd be within his rights to do as he pleased religiously, but why? I don't actually understand King Charles I's policies here at all. They work brilliantly for someone in Lelouch's position: the Weak ruin the Strong, take what you can, etc, etc, but how would you do this as a King? I don't doubt someone of his size could easily defend his claim and yadda yadda, but the entire system beneath you would surely collapse from such policies.

I can only conclude that the King of Quaker Oats doesn't intend for his Empire to last, or has a surefire way to ensure in the near future that his personal reign never ends. Because otherwise he's just very, very, very bad at politics. Which would explain why Lelouch is very, very, very bad at tactics. Takes a sloppy father to beget a sloppy son, I suppose.

AHAHAHAHAHA. That has to be the most transparent disguise Cornelia has EVER WORN. Dye my hair, put on glasses, don't have a giant ruffle, BOOM I AM NOT CORNELIA.

Oh, and let me be the first to say that seeing Nunally step up to resume EXACTLY what
Euphemia left unfinished
in utter spite of what Zero pulled is delicious. Because now we get to see just how little he actually cares about anyone at all. What do you do, Mr. Zero, when your little parakeet develops a will of her own, and sets it against yours? Further adding to the fun is that the situation is EXACTLY WHAT ZERO CLAIMED TO HAVE WANTED. Suzaku's there as a knight to protect darling little Nunally, who is singing all about how the world needs to be gentler while worrying about her poor, lost, big brother.

And also Nunally's and Euphemia's rhetoric is at startling odds with the King's. If it wasn't for the fact that I suppose he doesn't have to answer to anyone, I'd wonder how anyone manages to explain the Viceroy saying "for a gentler world" when the King has just said, "feed upon each other." How does he even justify a crippled Viceroy when it undermines everything he's been preaching? It also begs the easily answered question of "Which world does Zero actually live in?"

Aaaaaand again Zero abandons the rebellion. Good Gods, how does ANYONE defend Lelouch? He's slime and scum personified. A demon is too noble a creature to call him. He's a rat in man's clothing.

Tamaki's a loser. How is he even still on the team? He's a 3rd rate pilot, loud mouth with terrible ideas. Zero only keeps him around so that they have someone who is always more wrong than him.

AHAHAHAHA, Kaguya just implied that C2 and Kallen are Zero's sluts. AHAHAHAHA. Kallen is Best Girl, though, now that
Euphemia is gone.

EEWWWWW Don't mention Nina. She was always awful. Also, Lelouch, would your friends WANT to launch fireworks with you if they knew what you'd done, the way Suzaku does? You cannot have both of these things, Lelouch. You cannot have it as it was, either, because you've gone too far. You've murdered people they love, and raped their minds. Why should any of them want to remain with you after knowing what you've done?

And for extra measure, how do you order someone to participate willingly? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Full Metal Panic! Sigma 5
Combining two chapters for this because it makes sense that way.
The first half here is about Tessa and Sailor, and they bond over their similar issues as submarine captains that nobody respects. Sailor also comments that his wife has left him, probably for a man on the land. Tessa returns that she's got similar issues, referring to Sousuke, who's more interested in the girl back on land. The second half deals with everyone dealing with the twelve Alastors. Yan, Urzu-9 is still alive, and helps Kurz take out one. They flee from the remaining 11 and begin to evacuate the ship while Mao keeps trying to crack its safe. One of the Alastors attempts to kidnap a girl before determining it isn't Kaname, cluing the crew into what their enemies are after.

This entire arc is kind of fun to me because, just like the episode in Italy, the Urzu Squad is all decked out in formal wear (tuxes, to be exact) and it adds a kind of James Bond feel to the whole level.

Andrew J.

You know what's a good giant robo show that hardly anybody has seen? Zegapain. That show at least deserves some level of cult classic status.

SDBurton

Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S - 01

Exactly what I was hoping to see in this season opener! Skirt flipping and Mikoto x Kuroko fluff! :D

From what they showed in the credits/OP, it looks like we have a number of female villains that will be showing up, which is great! Though it looks like Touma will have a somewhat larger presence in this season than he had in the last. :( Let's hope he bites the dust quickly so the scientific garden can remain pure. Now, off to find some Mikoto x Kuroko doujins before starting the next ep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom