• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
It would be nice if she still had some of that in order to not make everyone feel chummy all the time.

Yeah, I just don't see her as a character that will make the full 180 switch. I think she'll be good natured, but still have somewhat of an attitude that all of us were charmed by.

CorvoSol

Kiddy Grade 10

WHAT. ECLAIR IN PANTS AND A SHIRT AND JACKET?

What is this show? How will they give me panty shots and cleavage now?

Oh snap Eclair is taking pills! Gundam taught me that pills are drugs and bad.

UUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WUT.

WUT.

WAIT A MINUTE SLOW DOWN HOLD ON.

Oh, waitress girl, you so tsundere. "FINE GO AWAY! WE DON'T NEED YOU! I-it's not like w-we appreciate your patronage or anything."

That's cryptic and creepy as hell: "If you're planning to save someone's life, take the 45. If you're planning to put the barrel in your mouth, the 9 millimeter should be more than enough." Either in the future guns are designed specifically for suicides or this arms dealer is just HELLA creepy.

So uh, Eclair is a Time Lord?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't know, I think Regina has a similar case to the two mentioned. Like, we've seen some good of her as she used magic to help Mana doing menial tasks, and her heart turns to fluff whenever she sees Ai, who responds to her quite well (which gives us the signal that someone besides Mana can see the good in her). At this time Regina does not understand what friendship really is and I feel that once she makes her heel turn and
becomes a Precure a bit of her selfishness will still remain (where she'll still be possessive of Mana).

Personally I just think it's a flaw that she has any inkling of weakened evil resolve to begin with :lol Sometimes antagonists should just be antagonists!

Full Metal Panic! - 7

So we finish our first little story arc. Chidori is acting all weird with her knowing what this Lambda Driver business is, causing Sousuke to win the match.

I gotta say, if I had one gripe with this show so far, it's that the OST well... it leaves something to be desired. When I listen to the OST's of Code Geass and Fairy Tail, I can really feel the power of those soundtracks. But during that epic moment where Sousuke strikes the final blow...I just think a little more power could be added to the music. At least so far, I've yet to see the remaining episodes before I hear more tracks.

Honestly though, that's a nitpick. Everything else is really good so far and the story is going in an intriguing mysterious direction while still maintaining good humour.

All right, now let's see who the next villain is in this series...

Mr.Jeff

If you liked Aria, you'd probably like Mushishi and Haibane Renmei.
You know, for all that people mention Mushishi, I don't think I've seen anyone go through the series int he same way that say, there's a cycle of people that go through Utena or Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I wonder if that's because mostly everyone has seen it or nobody rises to the bait?

Let us be friends!

predator-handshake-o.gif

cajunator

Banned
You know, for all that people mention Mushishi, I don't think I've seen anyone go through the series int he same way that say, there's a cycle of people that go through Utena or Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I wonder if that's because mostly everyone has seen it or nobody rises to the bait?

Its a VERY slow paced series at times. not something to marathon. It also doesn't cause a "rise" in people or anything really. Its just mysterious, slow paced, beautiful, and dramatic.

Honestly, pacing is what's causing me to procrastinate on One Piece. I'm all for the adventure aspect of it, but damn is it slow! I gotta go back to it sometime.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! - 7

So we finish our first little story arc. Chidori is acting all weird with her knowing what this Lambda Driver business is, causing Sousuke to win the match.

I gotta say, if I had one gripe with this show so far, it's that the OST well... it leaves something to be desired. When I listen to the OST's of Code Geass and Fairy Tail, I can really feel the power of those soundtracks. But during that epic moment where Sousuke strikes the final blow...I just think a little more power could be added to the music. At least so far, I've yet to see the remaining episodes before I hear more tracks.

Honestly though, that's a nitpick. Everything else is really good so far and the story is going in an intriguing mysterious direction while still maintaining good humour.

All right, now let's see who the next villain is in this series...

Her crazy knowledge should start getting explained during the next arc. And while the music for the original FMP isn't exactly stellar (though I love the OP), The Second Raid certainly delivers, I think.

Luci is actually more adorable than a lot of Japanese seiyuus.

I love Luci should be a thing.

Unlike the other shows you mention, Mushishi is episodic instead of having a serial narrative. So it doesn't support the kind of "wow, look at these plot turns" reactions like the shows that are popularly marathoned in here typically do.

cajunator

Banned

Iria was the first anime broadcast on TV that I watched Im pretty sure (Nickelodeon/ABC ones didn't count since I wasn't aware those were anime). It was on SciFi.

Unlike the other shows you mention, Mushishi is episodic instead of having a serial narrative. So it doesn't support the kind of "wow, look at these plot turns" reactions like the shows that are popularly marathoned in here typically do.

I bet that's why people haven't really watched Kino's journey either, as amazing as that show is.

Mr.Jeff

Well yeah I guess but I was more going for the angle that people watch the other two series (and others) because they're routinely mentioned as being good and rank highly for many people. I was just wondering whether the lack of any kind of similar appreciation in some aspect is down to most people having seen it or whether it's just because more people don't want to pick it up as opposed to something else.

Hyakka ryouran - 07 (half episode )

This anime is not that bad . in fact it's "ok" it's an roginal setting but generic in his execution and is filled with fanservice design BUT

BUT why the heck did they use this art design ?

Look at this picture !
Hyakka%20Ryouran%20Samurai%20Girls%20-%2007_01.jpg

Hyakka%20Ryouran%20Samurai%20Girls%20-%2007_02.jpg

LEFT : regular scene , RIGHT : flashback

As you can see on the left , on regular scene you have this ink effect on the screen, you can manage to stop paying attention to this after a while but it's very annoying for me.. but on the right ..damn , they added even more on screen effects !
What the point of this oversaturation to have the episode in brown & black ?

This is a perfect exemple of a good idea ( the ink effect ) taken too far .. so far that it becomes ridiculous.

And i bet they thought it would be cool , even .

I Can't see !!

It his worst the anime look like this :

i haven't seen this mess of lightning and overdose of after effects since god knows when ...

Metrotab

Banned
Never heard of Mushishi. What's it about and how long is it?

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 74: Long Way to Go

~ I wonder if the masses have always wanted an autocrat. ~

I always like it when Yang goes on one of his monologues about government and society. It's true what he says: a military structure has to be completely selfless regarding their wishes of the government they serve. Otherwise, military dictatorship, either directly or by proxy, is right around the corner. I do think it's ironic the two largest dictatorships of recent memory (Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union) were respectively elected and bureaucratic in nature, so avoiding military influence is not a failsafe against democratic failure.
I also liked his remark of the people wanting a great leader with larger powers than usual to lead a country. I wonder if there were any dictators that never had public support at some time and thus completely ruled separately from the common folk. Maybe some Roman Emperors who were crazy (Nero and Caligula come to mind), and probably dictators who inherited the position rather than claimed it for their own.
There was some crazy tension regarding Katerine von Kreuzer this episode. I wonder if everything's alright.

Hyakka ryouran - 07 (half episode )

This anime is not that bad . in fact it's "ok" it's an roginal setting but generic in his execution and is filled with fanservice design BUT

BUT why the heck did they use this art design ?

Look at this picture !

Yeah, I thought the style was overdone. I only remember it being cool looking in the first episode.

cajunator

Banned
I'm a terrible person and keep putting it off because I'm in love with Kino's light novel design and was disappointed that the anime didn't look like it.

Kino's journey is a VERY GOOD anime. It seems episodic, and mostly is, but some things happen in the show during certain episodes that reveal things or advance Kino's story. You really should watch it. One of my all time favorites up there with Haibane Renmei.

Smile Percure 30

Around the World in 80 Books

She's sending you messages Akane. You know what to do here.

Jesus, Nao has a large appetite, but I do like the willingness to try a bunch of different foods.

Anyway, AFTER MANY EPISODES, THEY REALIZE OH HAY, WE HAVE A MAGIC BOOK CASE THAT GOES ANYWHERE! Which hasn't been exploited in like.... forever. It would've been very useful for when they went to grandma's house, but fuck that! Gotta walk. They just don't realize how lucky they are.

Bad End Kingdom must have some kind of homing signal to find the Precures. It's kinda creepy actually. As if they're mutually attracted to each other.

Also there were mermaids.

This along with new plastic shows we're amping up the merchandising!

Finally have everything back on track. Should be able to finish by Saturday.

cajunator

Banned
I'll definitely get to it eventually, but just look at how fabulous LN Kino looks:

So lovely.

Yeah Kino looks pretty good in the novels.
The anime art style is a very simple, rounded design. There is also a filter made to look like the show is on parchment or a movie screen, but that gets mixed reviews.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
K-On! 03:

dat feel when one person in your group is slowing everyone else's progress. I'm amused by the fact that all of the other keions have to drop whatever it is that they're doing and meet Yui's every need as soon as she needs it just to keep their club afloat. Simultaneously their savior and their worst nightmare. Mugi alone is probably sinking tens of thousands of yen per week into procuring exotic desserts just to continue luring Yui into the club room like some kind of pigeon. Surely bribing an actually-talented student to join would be cheaper?

What does everyone in this show have against bread crust?

CorvoSol

ZZ Gundam 8

Oh thank goodness, they're finally off of that stupid colony. It only took 8 episodes to do! And I begin to think that Mashmyre NEVER spoke to Haman and is making it all up in his head. Apparently though, in the past week or so, Haman's had the time to build a GIANT SPACE CROSS for all the dead. Unless she built it before Axis started losing all its troops?

Hmmmmm...

Nah I like Chiho more. She's super cute!

Well you didn't pick someone terrible at least.

K-On! 03:

dat feel when one person in your group is slowing everyone else's progress. I'm amused by the fact that all of the other keions have to drop whatever it is that they're doing and meet Yui's every need as soon as she needs it just to keep their club afloat. Simultaneously their savior and their worst nightmare. Mugi alone is probably sinking tens of thousands of yen per week into procuring exotic desserts just to continue luring Yui into the club room like some kind of pigeon. Surely bribing an actually-talented student to join would be cheaper?

What does everyone in this show have against bread crust?

Well it's not like anyone else wanted to join at the time, so they just took whatever sap they could find.

Mr.Jeff

Never heard of Mushishi. What's it about and how long is it?
I tried to write down an explanation but failed so I'll nick AniDB's
They are neither plants nor animals. They differ from other forms of life such as micro-organisms and fungi. Instead they resemble the primeval body of life and are generally known as Mushi. Their existence and appearance are mostly unknown and only a limited number of humans are aware of them. Ginko one of these select few, a Mushi-shi, travels around to investigate the Mushi. In the process, he also lends a helping hand to people who face problems with supernatural occurrences that may be related to the Mushi.

So basically a fantasy based series set in the more rural areas of Japan. It's directed by the same person behind the currently airing Aku no Hana and has a sublime soundtrack and one of the few series that improves upon the manga series it comes from.

I'll definitely get to it eventually, but just look at how fabulous LN Kino looks:
So lovely.
She does lose some of the charm from her design in that artwork but enough of it remains for it not to be made a concern really. It's more than made up in other ways!

Necrovex

Revolutionary Girl Utena 1

Utena_zpsa27a41d9.png

In what reality is that outfit something a guy would wear?! That teacher is bananas!

Utena_zpsd1b0627e.png

Oh, so that's how Tales of Symphonia got Zelo's character design. Yes, baby indeed. I bet even Hitomi Kanzaki would fall for this character if his color was slightly different...like a blonde color.

I am glad Utena is not some dumb, ditzy little girl. She is a fierce little firecracker, and after watching Escaflowne, it's rad to see such a kick-ass woman. I am a little interested in the red-hair dude, but mostly because he is creeping on Utena. The villains of this series seem to be the school council, but if that was the case, I kind of doubt so many people would love this series. I bet there's something even bigger happening behind the scenes!

One part that really surprised me was the random vocal tunes. I didn't expect anything like that to occur. I never imagine watching a woman run up some stairs could be enjoyable. Ah, the power of music.

And I quickly realized this was a 90's anime. I thought about giving the dubs a shot, but after two minutes, I quickly switched back to the Japanese audio. And then the art style...is it just me, or do both Escaflowne and Utena have a very similar art style?

This was the first time I have ever watched Utena. I have heard a lot of things about this show. One girl I dated referred to Utena as a "boring show." And to my surprise, Anime-Gaf adores this show. I enjoyed this first episode, and I will continue to plow through the series.

cajunator

Banned

I am glad Utena is not some dumb, ditzy little girl. She is a fierce little firecracker, and after watching Escaflowne, it's rad to see such a kick-ass woman. I am a little interested in the red-hair dude, but mostly because he is creeping on Utena. The villains of this series seem to be the school council, but if that was the case, I kind of doubt so many people would love this series. I bet there's something even bigger happening behind the scenes!

One part that really surprised me was the random vocal tunes. I didn't expect anything like that to occur. I never imagine watching a woman run up some stairs could be enjoyable. Ah, the power of music.

And I quickly realized this was a 90's anime. I thought about giving the dubs a shot, but after two minutes, I quickly switched back to the Japanese audio. And then the art style...is it just me, or do both Escaflowne and Utena have a very similar art style?

This was the first time I have ever watched Utena. I have heard a lot of things about this show. One girl I dated referred to Utena as a "boring show." And to my surprise, Anime-Gaf adores this show. I enjoyed this first episode, and I will continue to plow through the series.

Oh! I'm looking forward to this :D

Figures.

Typical Orioles fan.

buttfumble.

Iria was the first anime broadcast on TV that I watched Im pretty sure (Nickelodeon/ABC ones didn't count since I wasn't aware those were anime). It was on SciFi.
Same here, same channel. It just blew me away.

After that i think it was the street fighter 2 animated movie on a friends bootleg vhs.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

In what reality is that outfit something a guy would wear?! That teacher is bananas!
I think the conclusion we arrived to last time is that Utena is mixing the regular boy's uniform with the P.E. one.
Pointy noses are a thing in shoujo manga for whatever reason.
Utena is not an AnimeGAF-only thing, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom