• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chihayafuru 2 20:
After a string of very tense episodes, we get a nice release here, and some really good character moments. This episode had a good mixture of some comedy, romance and introspective thought for the cast. Hanano's reactions to the Chihaya/Arata/Taichi stuff was great, and the Taichi/Arata rivalry is back on. A lot of characters had some good moments in this episode, from
Chihaya having to deal with her injury, to Taichi thinking about Arata as his enemy, and Shinobu being ready to crush everyone's hopes. Chihaya being matched up with Yuube right off the bat is going to be tough for her; she's really not tournament ready with her injury.

I also have to say that I really got emotional when they had
Soshite Ima playing while Chihaya thought back on their matches during the team tournament.
That was really good.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Aikatsu 32:

I kind of like the episodes that are just about Ichigo doing realistic (well, realistic for anime) industry stuff like she would if she was just being farmed out by a regular old talent agency. It was an okay episode, even if the show as a whole is begging to feel pretty stale at this point.

Where the hell is Red, though? Is she just going to be some kind of troll character that only appears in the OP and not the actual show like that bandaged dude from Un-Go or Lass from Pokemon?

Mr.Jeff

From what I understand, isn't SAO a show made for idiot impressionable teenagers that alludes to be far deeper than it is? I would have thought Toonami would have been a great fit for the show? Unless that's not its main demographic.

Edit: Also, man I want that Time of Eve Blu-ray but 45 notes for it?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
From what I understand, isn't SAO a show made for idiot impressionable teenagers that alludes to be far deeper than it is? I would have thought Toonami would have been a great fit for the show? Unless that's not it's main demographic.

I guess I'm an idiot, impressionable, and/or a teenager. T_T

Mature

From what I understand, isn't SAO a show made for idiot impressionable teenagers that alludes to be far deeper than it is? I would have thought Toonami would have been a great fit for the show? Unless that's not it's main demographic.
It is technically a good fit for Toonami, but that doesn't make it a good choice since it's an awful show. Usually the highest rated show on the block is Bleach if that tells you anything. It's sort of like a delicate balancing act of paying the bills with the bad to support the good.

When I heard of Sword Art Online, I heard a lot of positive reception before negative reception. I avoided it though because I wasn't a fan of its premise. "A bunch of people are trapped in a game and a guy's gonna fall in love with someone but there's a high chance of death. Wish them luck!"

In fact, I posted a longer description of why I never watched it a while back, and seeing how now the show has a lot of negative reception here, I'm glad I stuck to not watching it. I shudder to think what else the show has wrought upon AnimeGAF.

Conan-san

From what I understand, isn't SAO a show made for idiot impressionable teenagers that alludes to be far deeper than it is? I would have thought Toonami would have been a great fit for the show? Unless that's not its main demographic.

It's the prefect toonami show, yes. (Thoguh god help every one once part two hits, whoboy), but Aniplex are pricing themselves out of the market with those BRs (I'd certainly NOT pay $200 for the first arc, nevermind $400 for the lot, regardless of whatever baubles they slap in).

789shadow

Banned
It is technically a good fit for Toonami, but that doesn't make it a good choice since it's an awful show. Usually the highest rated show on the block is Bleach if that tells you anything. It's sort of like a delicate balancing act of paying the bills with the bad to support the good.
Funny thing is, this past week was the first time in forever that Bleach wasn't at least 1 million viewers. It got beat by both One Piece and Soul Eater, both of which beat Naruto as well.

CorvoSol

Well to be fair, Suzaku wasn't exactly there when she almost blew her friends up IIRC. He knew that she was a big "fan" of Euphemia. So Suzaku understands the pure lust for vengeance she feels so that's why he's sympathizing with her for the sorry state she's in.

And before you ask, I'm defending Suzaku on this not Nina.

Yeah, I mean, I get why Suzaku would say it. He's filled with a completely righteous loathing of Zero. I just hate Nina more than anything. Like, I "hate" Lelouch but like I hated Argath in FFT. He's enjoyable, just hateworthy. Nina is just awful.

???? O - Okay ....

For what it's worth, R_Thanatos, I've been watching Valvrave every week and I still don't get the big deal. So far all I can piece together is everyone is hilariously stupid so Anime-GAF likes L-Elf because he's the only person on the show who is even half competent.

This week my hate of him went down 2 points as I realized I hated A-Drei infinitely more than him, too. With the combined cliche power of Q-Vier and A-Drei, L-Elf looks less and less awful every minute.

And the
not even explained 200 year time skip at the beginning
was so wacky I just kind of let it be.

RahXephon 02

I don't know why corvo hate this, its compelled me fast.

The first episode or so are okay, in spite of being a shameless EVA rip-off. It's the next 12 that I found to be a mixture of boring, pretentious posturing by the most cliche anime stereotypes, non-movement of the plot and blatant rip-off of Evangelion ever.

Seriously, that's what Rah Xephon was. Some episodes it ripped off Eva so much that the episode's plot was IDENTICAL. Like the one with the big ball floating over town and then Shinji/Kamina gets pulled into the sub-space and has a freak out.

Other times, it was the stupid guy in white with red shades spouting the most undecipherable pretentious drivel of all time.

And it never moved! The plot went NOWHERE in 15 episodes. Some shows have their ENTIRE PLOT in 10 and this show couldn't be bothered to do ANYTHING for that long.

And then, at long last, after teasing and teasing and teasing the relationship between Ayato/Shinji and Haruka/Misato (who's palette IS Misato's.) the show implies they're related.

So I quit watching Rah Incestphon. Because it is the worst thing I have ever, ever seen.

Thoraxes

Valvrave - 07

Are you fucking kidding me.
I liked the glasses girl. Fuck you.

This is amazing. I don't think even art could have ascended this high.

Also:

0nooc1J.jpg

I dunno, Voices of a Distant Star? It's not like you can just grab a camera and a couple of friends and make an anime with a few weeks work. The sheer volume of skilled/semi-skilled labour involved really helps to ensure that, for the most part you can't just produce anime independently.
Certainly, which is why I was curious as to whether anyone knew if such examples existed. I mean, it is certainly possible now to make something that could be considered a completed film on your own with the availability and variety of tools that are out there, but it doesn't seem like a venture many people would really ever want to undertake in the world of animation. Thanks for the suggestion, though, Jexhius. : )
edit: Oh, hey, I actually found this in Amoeba's anime stuff the other day. I considered getting it, but now I have a real reason to.

Are we defining independent animation as animation created by principally one person outside the studio framework? If so, there are a couple independent animators out there. Koji Yamamura (Mt. Head, A Country Doctor) is the one who leaps most immediately to mind. There's also people who started as independent animators and then founded their own studios to produce their work, such as Makoto Shinkai and Yasuhiro Yoshiura. I'm not an expert in the field of independent animation, but this page, covering some recent notable works in the field, seems like a decent place to start getting some ideas for further investigation.
Thanks, it was really a point of curiosity than anything else. If that's how you want to interpret "independent" in this case, that is fine by me. All I've been swamped with in my class and reading thus far is how it's oh, so difficult to define just what independent means anymore.

Ashamed that Yamamura didn't come to mind, as I quite enjoyed Mt. Head. I suppose I was aiming more for theatrical length, but that certainly works for me. Thanks for the links/names.

Smile Precure 43

Shining Reika finally breaks her robotic shell

This episode reminds me that they forgot about the magic bookcase. TAKE THAT BRAIN TAYLOR! HA!

Anyway, it's a tackle at Reika's idealogy of "the Path". The Path The Path The Path The Path The Path. It's like for once, we see Reika bursting with emotion to the point of repathing her dreams, to come out of her robotic cocoon, and it's all thanks to Joker.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Smile Precure 43

Shining Reika finally breaks her robotic shell

This episode reminds me that they forgot about the magic bookcase. TAKE THAT BRAIN TAYLOR! HA!

Anyway, it's a tackle at Reika's idealogy of "the Path". The Path The Path The Path The Path The Path. It's like for once, we see Reika bursting with emotion to the point of repathing her dreams, to come out of her robotic cocoon, and it's all thanks to Joker.

30l8L.jpg

Stop sexualizing precures.

Syrinx

The Rose of Versailles 4

How many parties do these people throw? Goddamn, it's fucking 1770 France. There's kinda some shit to deal with. Maybe if you took some time to deal with it you wouldn't all be dead in the next twenty years (though their efforts would probably be fruitless, since their feudalistic structure is broken).

Andre's a good dude. He keeps Oscar grounded and is able to convey to her when she's being too stubborn for her own good and hurting the people close to her as a result. But when there's legitimate shit that's going down, he doesn't hesitate for one second to go to her, as evidenced here.

Oscar was so awesome here. Rushing ro her mother's rescue and calling out Madame Du Barry's plan right on the spot, then drawing her sword on her as to say, "Don't fuck with me." As for Countess Cuntess, I'm going to assume she has never had to deal with somebody quite like Oscar. A high-ranking member of the military with exceptional fighting skills, and a woman at that. Oscar isn't some horny lord she can manipulate to get what she wants. It would probably behoove Madame to not fuck with Oscar in any way. But she probably doesn't see that, which I can only hope leads to her choking to death on her own eyeballs.

yVaJrnU.jpg

These two should hang out more often

Hataraku Maou-sama! 8

I'm now wishing they would have shown Emi's reaction after traveling through the gate.

Because after seeing Maou/Alsiel from the first episode and now Kimono girl's, all of their interactions with everything new have been truly amazing.

Smile Precure 44

Shining Miyuki Christmas. Wait what's this? A Christmas episode where shit doesn't get real? Man, that feels sooo long ago. Not that it matters since it's 1 episode until Doomsday.

Stop being greedy, you share a harem protagonists attribute of being indecisive. Well she never wavered, but we learned a new backstory on Miyuki's smile (not that movies are canon, but it looks like filler girl is no longer part of the harem). Not too much to the episode otherwise.

Homestretch arc agogo

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Smile Precure 44

Shining Miyuki Christmas. Wait what's this? A Christmas episode where shit doesn't get real? Man, that feels sooo long ago. Not that it matters since it's 1 episode until Doomsday.

Stop being greedy, you share a harem protagonists attribute of being indecisive. Well she never wavered, but we learned a new backstory on Miyuki's smile (not that movies are canon, but it looks like filler girl is no longer part of the harem). Not too much to the episode otherwise.

Homestretch arc agogo

30mBC.jpg

Lewd

Sword Art Online is aimed at the same demographic that Toonami aims at, but I'd rather see good shows get promoted on the slot, especially with how few anime get aired on American TV. If I were in charge and didn't have to worry about logistical constraints, I'd be putting on shows such as Fate/Zero, Code:Breaker, and Kaiji - shows with appeal to Toonami's core demographic that are actually well-made - as well as shows without the same core appeal, but which could get the audience to expand its horizons and bring in new audiences, such as Tsuritama and Hyouka. Older shows, movies, and shorts too. My dream version of Toonami is a curator, who would select the best of Japanese animation to show Western audiences the variety and creativity the field is capable of. But that's why I'm not a businessman.

Thanks, it was really a point of curiosity than anything else. If that's how you want to interpret "independent" in this case, that is fine by me. All I've been swamped with in my class and reading thus far is how it's oh, so difficult to define just what independent means anymore.

One need only look at how the term "indie games" gets used these days to realize that.

Ashamed that Yamamura didn't come to mind, as I quite enjoyed Mt. Head. I suppose I was aiming more for theatrical length, but that certainly works for me. Thanks for the links/names.

Due to how time-consuming and complicated animation is, you won't really find feature-length anime independent of the studio system. It's basically all shorts. The only exception I can think of is Gothicmade, and that took 6 years for Nagano to make a 70-minute feature.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Sword Art Online is aimed at the same demographic that Toonami aims at, but I'd rather see good shows get promoted on the slot, especially with how few anime get aired on American TV. If I were in charge and didn't have to worry about logistical constraints, I'd be putting on shows such as Fate/Zero, Code:Breaker, and Kaiji - shows with appeal to Toonami's core demographic that are actually well-made - as well as shows without the same core appeal, but which could get the audience to expand its horizons and bring in new audiences, such as Tsuritama and Hyouka. Older shows, movies, and shorts too. My dream version of Toonami is a curator, who would select the best of Japanese animation to show Western audiences the variety and creativity the field is capable of. But that's why I'm not a businessman.

I will follow you till the end of time.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Jewelpet Happiness 07:

self-awareness OFF THE CHARTS

So, uhh, anybody remember PacaPlus, that alpaca dating sim? well..........this is the plot of this episode. oh god

I'm sad that I'm still the only person watching this because it's just so wonderfully weird with lots of little things designed to go over the audience's head. I mean, in this episode alone,
it's heavily implied that the vice principal is gay for one of his own students. That ain't the little girl making that noise to herself.
If you hate Dokidoki Precure, what are you waiting for?!?!?!!?!

It's an action block. Tsuritama and Hyouka would not be on it. Even Kaiji is pushing it, but has a minor chance due to Death Note being on Adult Swim.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
From Aniplex USA's Anime Boston panel, Sword Art Online is confirmed to eventually air on Toonami this August.

In other panel news via the above link, they confirmed the leaked SAO BD/DVD plans and also revealed they're bringing over those Blue Exorcist bilingual BDs that were also announced for the UK recently, though they'll be in two sets instead of one complete collection.

oh my goodness

EDIT: I'm currently in an critical studies course examining Independent Film in America, and I was curious... Do any of you know of some good anime that could be considered "independent?" The Dallos OVA and DAICON IV were about the only things I could really think of as qualifying off the top of my head, but even those might be way off.

The only ones I know of are Mikoto Shinkai's stuff. She and Her Cat and Voices of a Distant Star are definitely the more "all by himself" ones (and it shows. Voices is really good, but short and the animation is kinda crude in spots). His later ones are still really good (5 Centimeters Per Second is one of my favorite films. The Place Promised in Our Early Days is good too) and still kinda indie (still from his own small studio, CoMix Wave, unless I'm mistaken about how that works) but had much more people on them for bigger production values.

Here are some others I found (I can't vouch for their quality or length. Most are shorts.)
Wilderness
Fumiko's Confession
Lots of Various shorts on Youtube here: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-fe...west-japanese-independent-anime-shorts-part-9
Encounters and Midori-ko

A quick wikipedia searched popped up the term UHF anime. I'm unfamiliar with what properties would fall under this, but it might be a good trailhead for you.

Necrovex

One Piece: Episode of Nami

I'll take this over One Piece Kai. Now I want Toei to animate every arc into an OVA. The Arlong arc is one of my favorite arcs in this show, so seeing this type of justice done was marvelous.

I enjoyed the minor changes to this OVA, like Luffy not being tossed into the water. I remember that part dragging, so I was happy to see that cut, even if that did make those villagers useless.

Also, Nami's breasts seemed even bigger in this OVA than their 'normal' size. This was really noticeable during the whole
removal of her tattoo.
Japan really love their boobies.

I would watch your Toonami.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom