• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
From the twittershphere:

"Ben ‏@ben_the_bear
According to Maruyama, Takeshi Koike didn't leave Madhouse, he was fired because Redline took so long to make."
lol

Another interesting tidbit I saw on Twitter: Yasuhiro Takemoto (KyoAni, director of Hyouka) has spent the past two months preparing for Free! by practicing drawing male figures from a nude photo collection.
bow.gif

From Aniplex USA's Anime Boston panel, Sword Art Online is confirmed to eventually air on Toonami this August.
How fitting.

BluWacky

Is that a subtle reminder that Branduil needs to finish his no-sub watch of Rahxephon?

About the only thing I liked about it was the music and episode 19.

So many people that don't like RahXephon :(

I fully admit I was pretty blown away by it. Maybe it wouldn't hold up to a rewatch but I loved all the twists and turns of the story, thought it had great production values, and had several standout moments (including the obvious ones of 15 and 19).

But then I've never seen Eva, I never saw it as a harem show, and I never thought there was much implication of incest, so... I guess I'm just a bit dumb about these things.

CorvoSol

So many people that don't like RahXephon :(

I fully admit I was pretty blown away by it. Maybe it wouldn't hold up to a rewatch but I loved all the twists and turns of the story, thought it had great production values, and had several standout moments (including the obvious ones of 15 and 19).

But then I've never seen Eva, I never saw it as a harem show, and I never thought there was much implication of incest, so... I guess I'm just a bit dumb about these things.

You don't have to be dumb to like different things, but if you've never seen Evangelion it makes half the reason that at least I didn't like it kind of hard to see.

I'll give that the animation was nice, though. The only reason I chose to watch it was that.

Slayers 19

So Rezo uses a nuclear bomb spell on Sairaag and murders Sylphiel's father. Even this will not trigger any character development in her at all. How did I ever like her as a kid?

Articalys

Nagahama said:
He hopes people will remember the show as "that creepy thing that used to be on tv."
I feel like he also said this in a previous interview about the show, but it's still a great quote no matter how many times I hear it. The cosplayer comparison quote is great too.

Off Topic is right. Dat belly

Smile Precure 47

Candy digivolved into Royal Candy. Can't believe this was spoiled to me thanks to looking for dubious fanart. Pretty cures also reveal that they are not in their final forms, but apparently Pierrot still keeps fighting. Looks like they're going to have a handful.

Can't believe this, it will be all over next episode. The end that I've sought for these months is finally in reach!

Super Sentai with girls. Each season has its own pros and cons and whatnot. Closest thing to super duper interesting is Heartcatch, which I tend to avoid recommending because it's quality far outshines the rest by a mile. This isn't to say they're bad (except for certain ones).

In any case, I'm going to give my franchise overview soon to give you an idea basically since I am for the most part, almost done with this franchise.

A Super Sentai huh? If that's the case, then I'm hoping there's some enjoyable villains, good OST fight tracks, and some epic battles.

I'm a pretty big fan of the whole epic team up unison attack kinds of shows (like Fairy Tail, my favourite) so if there's any of that, I'm in!

A Super Sentai huh? If that's the case, then I'm hoping there's some enjoyable villains, good OST fight tracks, and some epic battles.

I'm a pretty big fan of the whole epic team up unison attack kinds of shows (like Fairy Tail, my favourite) so if there's any of that, I'm in!

Plenty of that actually.

Andrew J.

That should have been obvious since.
The VVV are meant to mirror the colours of the rainbow. VVV red is VVV 1 and also the first colour int he rainbow. VVV green is VVV 4 and also the 4th leter in the rainbow and so on.

There are only seven colors in the rainbow if you kludge in indigo to make the "Roy G. Biv" mnemonic device pronounceable.

CorvoSol

Gun x Sword 16

Killing without reason is against the comrade's ideals? Ooooooh boy, there's gonna have to be some hell of an explanation for what happened to Van's and Rei's wives, then.

Bwahahaha, I know this scene should be creepy, but Wu sitting there, naked, reminiscing about his mother, and then causing his rapier to hop up erect has got to be the most hilariously Oedipal thing ever.

Hoooooooooooooooooooooo boy. Van's breakdown and solution of the puzzle was freaking awesome. Seeing Wendy deliver that verbal smackdown to him, too. Hot DAYUM. And then that duel with Wu. And did they just imply that Wu was The Claw's son? I think they did. I don't know, its all cray.

HOOOOOOO MAAAYUN. So good.

Valvrave the Liberator Episode 7 – Haruto Under the Rubble
tumblr_mnbu9aZ9Xi1qbxqfpo2_500.png
tumblr_mnbu9aZ9Xi1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Really excellent visuals for the ED. They captured H-neun and X-eins, Q-vier, A-drei, Haruto and L-elf in really great poses, especially the happiness of Q-vier in a few of those and a smile even from X-eins.

I found that it was just really back on track to what captured me and held me in the series. Certainly it was the best episode yet. Great L-elf doing wondrous things, Haruto in his usual state
But finally giving in to considering and even believing in L-elf finally. I thought it would take until like Valvrave 2 or something, but to happen this early, its exceeded my expectations. Though it seems like it is delaying the unveiling of other pilots maybe. And it also did dash my hopes of A-drei getting one. Just defect already like L-elf, he's the right hand man after all, even if he has Haruto as his right hand man too.

For that one big ending scene
Megane aftermath
that was rather quite detailed, those threads.

Good episode, I liked.

Jintor

Oh man I guess I'm being forced to watch SAO when Toonami starts airing it in September. This should be good!

Oh man are we anthropomorphising neogaf sections again? I want in

CorvoSol

Kiddy Grade 13

Uh, so, is it just me, or are those GOTT guards wielding giant screw-drivers? This was a heart-warmin' episode and all, but I mean, this show does not cease with the WUUUUT moments.

Its certainly handling things better than Attack on Titan has in that department. Though if any of the Dorssian crew...

The sooner they start dropping like flies the better. Please let Q-Vier be the first. I'll take my chances with Yzak before I have to sit through MORE of Desil.

Accel World 6 via neonalley

Taku is like perfect in english, I had wished Haru did direct link with him. For the dub, I have no clue who Aqua Current's VA is, the voice doesn't even sound familiar at all. Maybe its new talent?

Go_Ly_Dow

Chihayafuru 20

On the Karuta side of things, good episode.

On the 'other' side of things
I forgot this show was a huge tease in that department :(

Tenumi

Banned
I'll never be able to hear, read, or say "I'm curious" anymore without thinking of Hyouka. Can't tell if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

hyakka ryouran samurai bride - 02&03

I have no idea what happenned to this show .
the premise is even more ridiculous than before bt nothing else has changed.

Wait i know what hapenned ! Maids ! monkey-girls ! and ...stuff

CorvoSol

ZZ Gundam 11

Zeon forces have officially passed from the level of "wacky" to down-right kooky. These guys, man. If Ghiren or Caecelia Zabi ever saw these guys, they'd probably both agree that it was for the best that they died when they did.

BEWARE, EARTHNOIDS (because Earth and Space Noids aren't the stupidest terms in UC), FOR MASHMYRE THE DREAD TODAY . . . contemplates the bosom size of "Chara" "Soon".

And let's talk about THAT for a minute. Lady's name is legit "Add an 'a' to Char, because that makes it feminine" and then "add Soon, for Lalah Soon." So what, is she trying to cosplay as Char and Lalah's daughter? What's with the Cruela hair, then? I'd say even Tomino doesn't know, but at this point its more that Tomino is the last person who would know.

I feel bad for Iino. Nobody loves the poor guy, and he's just trying to be a good friend and still do the right thing.

Don't believe the lies, Roux! Fa is a terrible person! There was a better girl on the Argama! A BEST girl, even! And it's up to you to take that place! Don't let Fa or Elle take it first!

OH JEEZ MASHMYRE COVER YOUR MOUTH THAT IS DISGUSTING. God, who'd even WANT to work for the Axis when they're leaders walk up, know they're gonna sneeze, and stand there for a good ten seconds before sneezing up a visible ball of snot in your face?

Troop morale must have gone down a couple pegs.

You know, Valvrave's Haruto Tokishima reminds me a lot of Iino, actually, both in appearance and personality . . . Haruto would still be a better character if Shoko were dead, though.

OH BOY A BAD GUY IS ESCAPING FROM THE ARGAMA! THIS IS AN ORIGINAL PLOT LINE!

OH BOY GUNDAM DOUBLE ZETA I BET IT IS TWICE AS COOL THEN.

Noooooooooooooooo! But the Zeta Gundam was my broooooo!!!!!! What could actually, possibly be cooler than the coolest mobile suit in UC? NOTHING. Like, legitimately. The ZZ Gundam looks like a fatter, dumber version of the freaking awesome Zeta, and even its intro just serves to remind that the music in Zeta Gundam was awesome and the Zeta was awesome and the ZZ is what happens when you try too hard to be way past cool.

Smile Precure END

Well... this was it. The end of Smile.... and every previous Pretty Cure. It was a nice run, running for nearly 3 months now, but now it's time to cover Smile Precure.

I guess first is the episode itself. It had quite the set of faces and whatnot, and if it wasn't for the fact that I know my demographics well, this could've gone further, but eh, it still did it just fine. Everything just piled on top of them one by one for the sake of yielding
as well as using the final Miracle prevents travel between Marchenland and earth, so cue crying. The day will be saved though.

And I guess with that out of the way, I guess I'll provide my overall opinion on this series.

Smile Pretty Cure had a rough start. Quite possibly one of the roughest starts ever, because they've displayed that they're not competent in the slightest outside of Cure Beauty. Cure Beauty's competence however, made her a robot basically.

But after getting out that hump, it started to steadily improve, up until its midseason climax where things got better. This includes the random episodes like the Kids episode, which was a very unique premise in the franchise, and was pretty interesting to see.

In regards to things though, it is pretty similar to Yes! Pretty Cure 5, being that they're both a five man team that does not gain any new Cures (disregarding GoGo), and there's a bit of similarities between the cast, especially when looking at Reika and Karen. There's also a bit of role reversal in where Rin (YPC5) does not have a love interest, where as Akane does, so yeah.

However the main reason why I brought this up is because it shares the same issue as YPC5 and GoGo, in where the side cast may as well not exist, because it is pretty much about the main cast, and not a blend of the two. The side cast does not get developed too often, so often times, episodes featuring issues with side characters are less interesting because it doesn't amount to much, if anything. Nao, Reika, and Akane's family might have the edge here though, because they appear enough to make you remember them. Actually, while this is an issue, it is nowhere near as bad as YPC5, or the worst offender, GoGo.

Its strength is having a very strong cast of main characters, each with their quirks to make you enjoy each one and their presence. Reika probably being the weakest considering how much she contrasts from everyone else. I also liked that Candy was useful throughout the entire series, and contributes even without the typical mascot powerups. Everyone was developed pretty equally. Of course Miyuki gets the spotlight often, but nowhere near the amount of say... Cure Black (Futari wa), Cure Bloom (Splash Star), and Cure Melody (Suite).

Music was also pretty good, even if it did use some of Heartcatch's tunes. Fights were fun to watch. I'm not sure what else to say actually. I guess I could say this ended up being the new Second favorite, with Splash Star getting demoted to third.

Final Cure Rating

Yayoi/Cure Peace > Akane/Cure Sunny = Miyuki/Cure Happy > Nao/Cure March > Reika/Cure Beauty.

Franchise overview soon.

Defuser

From Aniplex USA's Anime Boston panel, Sword Art Online is confirmed to eventually air on Toonami this August.

In other panel news via the above link, they confirmed the leaked SAO BD/DVD plans and also revealed they're bringing over those Blue Exorcist bilingual BDs that were also announced for the UK recently, though they'll be in two sets instead of one complete collection.

9NjeE12.jpg

RIP ToonamiGAF.

Jarmel

Banned

In other panel news via the above link, they confirmed the leaked SAO BD/DVD plans and also revealed they're bringing over those Blue Exorcist bilingual BDs that were also announced for the UK recently, though they'll be in two sets instead of one complete collection.

Fucking Christ. Of all the fucking shows... They should have done TTGL or F/Z but instead we get SAO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom