• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I did a horrible thing to this thread, never expecting a single franchise to catch fire and consume such a large percentage of the discussion. I'm sorry.

Well the topic is close to ending, so lets keep it going. It's not like there will be people mass watching it into the next topic.
there will be

Nafe

I'm glad I already finished watching Smile PreCure! so that I'm already aware of some of the major spoilers showing up in the thread. Personally I would have rather
found out about the Bad End PreCure myself rather than someone post pictures about it.

I've noticed a few posters are not marking major spoilers such as character deaths for certain series even the season right after they finish airing. I guess they just feel that if you didn't watch it while it was airing you're not going to bother watching it at all and it doesn't matter.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Valvrave 5 - 6.5

Annnnnnnd I'm done.

Rukino is fucking terrible. Episode 5 was literally painful to watch from start to finish and I could only get halfway through episode 6 before I decided to call it quits.

Can't believe one character managed to kill the entire enjoyment I was getting out of a series but it happened.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Star Trek Into Darkness or Sword Are Online?
You know what, at least SAO requires Kawahara to research the shittiness of the fanboy in order to write the perfect ur-fanboy-otaku-loser-wish-fullfilment-fantasy text. Into Darkness is a sycophantic lazy piece of shit that manages to make Scott Pilgrim or The Big Bang Theory feel authentic.

If someone gives you 200 million dollars to make pretty much any Star Trek film you want and that's all you can come up with? Go back to ruining shit I don't care about like Transformers or Aliens.

Hey don't put me in this, I'm just here relaxing and watching FGC streamz.
You're telling me you didn't even think it for a second? ;)

---

Chihayafuru 20

Fuck Suetsugu for writing this crap.
Fuck Madhouse for not fixing it.
Fuck me for still watching it.

KaeDxxDl.jpg

Fuck Taichi for being Taichi.

I didn't say anything about 19 because I figured that the ending of 19 was a troll and NOT ACTUALLY WHAT THEY WERE GOING TO DO. The fact that Suetsugu
can't be assed to have Arata and Chihaya fucking talk to each other is just so infuriating, because this stupid love triangle simply exists only by default and not in actuality. Taichi is a shit for not doing anything about it for TWO FUCKING YEARS and Arata is a shit for just not calling her using the magic of RADIO WAVES VIA CELLULAR PHONES.

And no, you don't get to keep on
fucking referring back to the first four episodes/first volume of the manga as if it still fucking matters after 40ish episodes. If you can't evolve your characters in 40 episodes and two years "in world" time and your only crutch is to refer to the character building that happened at the beginning of your series, then fuck off.

The worst part is that I know all of this. In my heart, I keep hoping Madhouse will fix it, because I can't be the only one who thinks this is insane, but in my head I know that will never happen because directors who adapt manga/light novels are either cowards or robots forced to serve the IP and not the actual object of art being created.

(Let's not even talk about the artificial Glee-like limits that are being placed on Chihayafuru to allow the manga to go through three full years of this stuff before the inevitable can happen, because that's just sports manga being sports manga).

I just find it odd. Space Brothers actually got so much better these last couple of weeks - probably because the mangaka has grown more than the anime director has talent, but still - but Chihayafuru, which is going to probably end at the equivalent of Volume 17 of the manga, has basically exposed the mangaka as a talentless-hack. 17 volumes. Think of all the great manga stories that have been told in one volume, let alone seventeen.

#saltysaltinesofsodiummountain

Oh, there's lots and lot's of examples all the time.

Unfortunately, I don't really see any issue there. What is wrong with one preferring that the characters they really like and connect with embody the traits and tags that they want them to have while not embodying the less than appealing ones. I would much rather want to follow a protagonist that is strong or overpowered, overconfident, and good looking, than one that is weak, easily defeated, and unappealing or ugly. I think everyone has a certain ratio of screentime and powers they want dedicated to their characters of choice, and when that ratio is not met then I do think it is fair to make the claim that a writer is not really going in a good direction with the story or character development, and is doing the characters and viewers a great disservice, sacrificing actually quality storytelling for the sake of other and alternate goals for some reason.

Nafe, I think you're painting the wrong murky picture, as I believe that I dont have some purposeful sexist anti female agenda. I just simply connect more with the male characters so maybe thats where the potential bias comes from? Though, it isn't my fault that there are just a handful of actually good interesting and worthwhile female characters in the medium. I praise Sakura Haruno in Naruto, like Rukia in Bleach, acknowledged Imouto in Sword Art Online, embraced Y in Humanity Has Declined, enjoyed the presence of the ones in Blast of Tempest and Accel World and K. But beyond those, there arent any.

Valvrave the Liberator 7

I may have said this already, but L-Elf is the best. Blitzendegen!

This is some of the best exploration of different forms of government around. Eat your heart out, Legend of Galactic Heroes!

Random 200-year flashforward, what?

Branduil

You know what, at least SAO requires Kawahara to research the shittiness of the fanboy in order to write the perfect ur-fanboy-otaku-loser-wish-fullfilment-fantasy text. Into Darkness is a sycophantic lazy piece of shit that manages to make Scott Pilgrim or The Big Bang Theory feel authentic.

If someone gives you 200 million dollars to make pretty much any Star Trek film you want and that's all you can come up with? Go back to ruining shit I don't care about like Transformers or Aliens.

I think calling the writers of STID lazy may be giving them too much credit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think calling the writers of STID lazy may be giving them too much credit.
I know Orci and Kurtzman work together, but I have to wonder how this vomit of memes, references, and shitty action scenes required Lindelof as well. It took three human beings to write that movie. THREE human beings. I'm not even sure what to call it if not lazy.

I'm serious! I saw the pics and was like "Oh, that's nice!" and went back to watching the stream. I'm not some crazed sex-fiend!

For those interested in what I'm watching: http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive (UFGT9!)
lol

So tomorrow then!

Articalys

Now, I don't want to steal too much thunder from Ryouga's weekly store pictures round-up post, since it looks like there's some neat stuff coming up, but this one is too good to wait for.

Nafe

I'm not trying to defend DTL, who certainly has deplorable opinions, just the English language. I don't think he's ever tried to hide or deny his extreme sexism. He may be a bad person, but at least he's consistent! (Too consistent, really; his impressions are always a rehash of the same old sexist lines and are painfully monotonous to read. It's the same sort of thing I've felt creeping more and more into SDBurton's impressions on the other end lately. If all you can think about is "I wish all the characters of the other sex would die so I can pair up boys/girls to my heart's content", well...)

Ah, I see what you mean now, okay.

Sure, I can see liking male characters in general as I have a long list I like myself.

I could also see a slight gender bias towards characters of your particular gender as you maybe relate to them slightly more.

Having two characters who are exact copies of each other aside from gender though (again I could see a slight bias) and to go so far as to label one as great and the best character, where the other is awful and the worst character simply based on that gender difference is a bit much. The same for exact situations or actions. Especially when it happens incessantly and all the time.

Hey don't put me in this, I'm just here relaxing and watching FGC streamz.

I'd like to watch this as well. Did you see much of last week? I'm not familiar with a bunch of the names still but those Doctor Doom finishes by ChrisG over Dark Phoenix in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 were pretty amazing to see happen.

Hyakka ryouran samurai bride - 04

No contest there the show is at his best when it's not serious and "baka" or gisen are there to mess things up .

Yep much much better .

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I'd like to watch this as well. Did you see much of last week? I'm not familiar with a bunch of the names still but those Doctor Doom finishes by ChrisG over Dark Phoenix in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 were pretty amazing to see happen.

I didn't get to see much of last week but I do remember ChrisG sticking with Magneto which eventually led to his downfall. I was so mad that day. :lol

But yeah, I love his matches as his Morridoom combination turns the game into Touhou. :lol

Bakemonogatari 1

That was weird. During the episode I couldn't help but feel that I skipped something. Like I accidentally missed the first episode. Was there a series that came before this one?

Nope, you're starting in the right place, all those action bits at the beginning take place in a prequel LN that was written after Bakemonogatari. Also a lot of anime is weird, might as well say the earth is round and the sun is hot. :p

Hopefully you watch enough anime to get a taste for the weirdness.

So many people that don't like RahXephon :(

I don't actively hate it but it's nothing special either.

But then I've never seen Eva...

This you need to fix ASAP

If you have questions, just ask.

What are you going to do with your life now?

I don't know a thing about Hyouka other than it's apparently boring, so not really.

Then all you know are lies.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 1

5YOiZpu.jpg

There's nothing gentle about kissing someone on the eye!

Out of all the things I've heard about this show no one told me that it spent all day looking ridiculously cool with a great over the top soundtrack. I'd love to meet the architect of their school and see what kind of insane budget they threw at him to make it happen. I don't even care that the first duel didn't have much to it because everything surrounding it; the arena, the formality, and the music was amazing.

fXltp6k.jpg

Lines like this will ALWAYS make me think of Air Bud, the fact that she plays baketball afterwards was perfect! I wonder what it is about basketball that makes lesbians in anime play it.

cajunator

Banned
The only thing that I know about Pretty Cure (That's the full version of it right?) was that it was some anime about two girls finding these "prism stones". I always dismissed it as some kind of weird cliché magical girl show. One quick wiki search later and HOLY SHI- I didn't think it would evolve into a franchise so massive!

After reading the posts of Kirbyguy, I'm getting more and more tempted to give it a shot. But what should I expect going in it? A deep, compelling narrative like Madoka? A complex good story like Nanoha? What?

Its basically a new age Sailor Moon.
its a magical girls team show that peddles plastic toy shit like you wouldnt believe.

Tenumi

Banned
I've got an get-together with some friends tomorrow to watch anime. I'm bringing Girls und Panzer, though I doubt they will watch it. This is the same group that has a Hetalia and SAO fangirl. I'm doomed.

Theonik

Oh, there's lots and lot's of examples all the time.
ibsd8SuqPpomf4.gif

So, I guess I should ask the question is on everyone's SDBurton's mind - when does the sexualization/yuri-ization begin? lol
OT and Gaming are both tsun for one another. Cure Modereita is the Onee-sama like character which the other cures admire sometimes too much. Cure Community is the genki girl that the other cures feel they need to protect.

CorvoSol

The Count of Monte Cristo 3

The episode begins with a picnic in what I suppose is France. Whether France is a planet or still on Earth is hard to say, because they referred to the Count's Asian friend as hailing from East Space, and one of Albert's friends mentioned fighting aliens which he wasn't sure were actually sentient. Since this is around the time of Imperial France (roughly afterward, as King Louis 18th, the Sun King, was mentioned and the novel opens with Edmond meeting Napoleon), I'm unsure what sort of war France was waging at the time. The Imperium mentioned may well have been either Britain, China, or possibly America, although an Imperial America wouldn't make sense, given the time period.

If you didn't know that Valentine Villefort was top waifu before, learn it now.
We're introduced to Albert's friends, many of whom are the children of the Count's mortal foes, and as such enjoy comfort built upon his suffering. They're Old Blood for the most part, and range from snooty to good-natured. Valentine Villefort is pretty obviously swooning for Maximilian Morel, who is a giant of a guy. IIRC, Max is in the Count's employ, as Morel was Edmond Dantes' employer.

Albert is best described as petulant. All his friends try to do him solids, but he ain't buyin'.

Albert is kind of a brat, really upset at his friends for speaking ill of his guest, The Count, in spite of the fact that his friends' warnings are intelligent ones. Hell, Albert's fiance points out that he is the most likely person in the world to get conned, and friends made during Carnival aren't to be trusted. Speaking of, I'm still getting that whole "Albert and Franz are gay" thing, but this time from Albert, because Albert had waaaaay too much chem goin' on with a guy we were told last episode is a guy, and not a lady.

Flipside is Albert's friends try to persuade him that the Count being a Vampire is more reasonable than the Count being a good person, so maybe Albert isn't wrong to think his friends are pricks.

The Count is so awesome he causes power outages.

So the Count shows up and it causes a power outage. And a windstorm. Inside. Like leaves and stuff are billowing inside the parlor and he looks terrifying. He also doesn't show up on camera, and his voice is unrecordable. Because he's the goddamn Count of Monte Cristo and you can't control that.

This is some Doctor Who level Space Port.

Mentioned in this episode is that Albert's father, the Count Morcerf, is running for president, and that Messieur Danglar owns the Space Port. Danglar's Space Port is the most whimsical looking place in the universe, but the same cannot be said of a guy who starved Edmond Dantes' father to death.

This "reveal" was so perfect.

At episode's end, Albert introduces his friend, The Count of Monte Cristo, to the Count and Countess Morcerf. The music, imagery, and especially the Count's reaction, are all perfect. What's especially good, though, is how absolutely benevolent the Count Morcerf looks. He appears to be far too kind a man to be someone who would plot the utter ruin of his best friend and murder of a co conspirator's father. Most important, though, is that Morcerf looks like he could be Albert's father. We've seen a wedding picture of a man who looked like a grown Albert, and I've assumed it was the Count. I wonder how this is all going to go down.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Heartcatch Precure - 1

Oh I'm sorry, I'm still recovering from the fact that Yasuharu Takanashi composed this.
He gets a lot of flack for the synthetiser shit, but I always thought his Heartcatch stuff was superb.
HAATOCATCH PURIKYUA SAA MINNA DE
I did a horrible thing to this thread, never expecting a single franchise to catch fire and consume such a large percentage of the discussion. I'm sorry.
It was the only way to combat Hitokage's Sailor Moon propaganda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom