• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

スター・トレック イントゥ・ダークネス

Mari Okada's latest masterpiece hit the theaters last week, so of course I had to take a look. Kiruku and Supakku are such good friends, even though Kiruku is kind of stupid and a huge douche for most of the movie. This reboot really missed the boat on depicting the cunning and intelligence of Captain Kiruku in the original series. I guess it's supposed to be because he's younger but it really makes Starfleet as a whole look stupid for giving him the best starship they have. Eiburamusu-san does a pretty good job of directing for the most part, but some of the action was really poorly blocked. The
Klingon battle
in particular is just incoherent and pointlessly noisy. But that describes most of the peril throughout the movie, it just gets to the point of being ludicrous when
dozens and dozens of crew members are being thrown from the ship in every other shot.
There really does come a point when less is more.

Also, the script is pretty schizophrenic. On the one hand it wants to appeal to a whole new audience, and tries to do this with nonstop action and exciting special effects, but on the other hand it wants to give old-school fans lots of "clever" references. This becomes particularly problematic because the
backstory for the villain is so underdeveloped and so dependent on already knowing who the villain is.
Oh, and as everyone knows, cold fusion is called such because it makes things really cold.

Urban-san was totally wasted in this movie, as were most of the characters who weren't Kiruku, Supakku, or Mrs. Blond Fanservice. Uhura and Supakku's relationship has never not felt incredibly forced. The only saving grace of the movie is Kiruku and Supakku's friendship.

It was okay.

Risette

A Good Citizen
スター・トレック イントゥ・ダークネス

Mari Okada's latest masterpiece hit the theaters last week, so of course I had to take a look. Kiruku and Supakku are such good friends, even though Kiruku is kind of stupid and a huge douche for most of the movie. This reboot really missed the boat on depicting the cunning and intelligence of Captain Kiruku in the original series. I guess it's supposed to be because he's younger but it really makes Starfleet as a whole look stupid for giving him the best starship they have. Eiburamusu-san does a pretty good job of directing for the most part, but some of the action was really poorly blocked. The
Klingon battle
in particular is just incoherent and pointlessly noisy. But that describes most of the peril throughout the movie, it just gets to the point of being ludicrous when
dozens and dozens of crew members are being thrown from the ship in every other shot.
There really does come a point when less is more.

Also, the script is pretty schizophrenic. On the one hand it wants to appeal to a whole new audience, and tries to do this with nonstop action and exciting special effects, but on the other hand it wants to give old-school fans lots of "clever" references. This becomes particularly problematic because the
backstory for the villain is so underdeveloped and so dependent on already knowing who the villain is.
Oh, and as everyone knows, cold fusion is called such because it makes things really cold.

Urban-san was totally wasted in this movie, as were most of the characters who weren't Kiruku, Supakku, or Mrs. Blond Fanservice. Uhura and Supakku's relationship has never not felt incredibly forced. The only saving grace of the movie is Kiruku and Supakku's friendship.

It was okay.
image.php

CorvoSol

Code Geass R2 10

The High Eunuchs are High Comedy. They twitter and todder and none of them are as smart as Lord Varys. NO DUH the Empress doesn't get you, she's like, TEN. Geez, Zero, did you really think a scary man in a mask YELLING at a little girl who's lead an incredibly sheltered life was going to work? How stupid ARE you?

Couldn't care less about China dude.

Sort of tired of Schneizel being so trumped up when every showing of him on screen has been a lifeless, limp, tepid waste. Seriously, you could have a white box with a face painted on the side and it would have all the presence that Sneasel does.

Code Geass R2 10

Sort of tired of Schneizel being so trumped up when every showing of him on screen has been a lifeless, limp, tepid waste. Seriously, you could have a white box with a face painted on the side and it would have all the presence that Sneasel does.

Schneizel will get his time to shine, don't you worry.

The next episode was a bit of a snooze for me. But every episode after that on the other hand...

NeonZ

Oh shit that is great.

Smile Precure 46

Motherfucking plot DUMPS

30qCA.jpg

I liked Bad End Happy's generic villain speech,
I wanted the Bad End Cures to hang around for one extra episode at least to get similar speeches from the other ones... It's unfair that they were just killed while everyone else was purified.

Nafe

To be fair, I don't think DTL has ever been a hypocrite about his "boys = good, girls = bad" policy. Is it sexism? Definitely. Is it hypocrisy? Not really.

Oh, there's lots and lot's of examples all the time.

Just look at something like Magi where he was complaining that Mor wasn't doing much to contribute (which she was) and then you have an episode where she single handedly takes out a bunch of smugglers or something and then he was complaining that she was overpowered and thus a dull boring awful character who's the worst in the show.

Judal (who I like as well) shows up for an episode and is so overpowered he easily defeated all the main characters no problem and is only beaten for certain plot purposes. The reaction here is that he's a super awesome amazing compelling character who is the best in the show.

---

You can just compare shows such as Attack on Titan and Valvrave. AoT has a no nonsense competent female character who's maybe overpowered but shown to be strong and can do many things. She's labelled as an awful terrible character who continues to get worse and is the worst in the show. He goes so far as to say the author isn't very good and is making entry level fan fiction mistakes for portraying her this way.

You then have someone like Haruto in Valvrave who isn't much of a fighter and he
hops into the Valvrave and goes onto easily destroy a whole bunch of enemy units
and he's a great character who's one of the best in the show and the people in the show should recognize his epic deeds and it's great that he's getting so many friend requests. Apparently it doesn't matter if he's overpowered.

---

You have a character like Medaka from Medaka Box who seems to be overconfident in herself to the point of being maybe arrogant and she's basically overpowered she's so strong. At least at the beginning that I saw. She's labelled as an awful terrible protagonist and it's really just bad that she's so overpowered.

Yet, going back to Valvrave, you have someone like L-Elf, who is overconfident to the point of being arrogant, seems to think more of himself, and is so brokenly overpowered the guy can
basically take on mech units without his own and make missles and explosives appear out of nowhere
. He's practically a demi-god and yet he's lauded as being just an amazing character who is the best in the show alongside Haruto. In fact he's so great he's one of the top five characters in mecha, maybe it was ever.

---

As an aside, all the time male characters from original shows that no one has seen yet or knows anything about are labelled as having great designs and great personalities. Female characters are either said to have terrible designs or have a negative impression that hopefully they aren't awful and have to prove themselves otherwise unlike the males. There also is this female characters apparently have to "contribute" to be of any worth idea. Often times if they are not participating in battle or are losing in battle they're awful, terrible etc. Yet a male character can show up for just three seconds and do nothing and they are the best character in the show like Mochimazzi in Tamako Market.

--

Going back to Magi, there is the character Ren, who when first introduced to battle is getting in the way of the characters, and has to be bailed out many times, by the female character no less, and even cries a bit that he can't do anything. He's labelled as a great character and "one of the best damsels in distress" no less. You have a show like Devil Survivor 2 with the main female character who participates in battle in one episode and is defeated and needs to be rescued and she's just labelled as weak and getting in the way and it's terrible that she was just crying about it.

You have the character from Zetsuen no Tempest,
Hanemura
, who had some powers but was a weak fighter and was always wining that he didn't want to fight and he was labelled as a great character. How could anybody not like him? Yet you have a female character in another show who doesn't want to fight and is maybe whining and she's annoying and awful and terrible etc.

---

Recently in Devil Survivor 2 in the most recent episode
the male Daichi is still shown to be weak but the female Airi gets a power upgrade.
He claims that this is unfair and bad writing. If you have a female character who continues to be weak and a male character who gets an upgrade, well the work is not labelled as having terrible writing nor is fairness questioned. Instead the male character is lauded as being so great and amazing where the female character continues to be weak, not contributing and awful.

---

There's an example with something like Psycho Pass where
Kougami, the supporting male lead, is fighting the antagonist of the show is defeated and about to be killed. Akane, the main female lead, strikes the antagonist on the back of the head knocking him out and saving Kougami.
He complains that she was stealing the spotlight "just because she's the main character" and that it didn't seem fair. This despite the fact that he was constantly complaining she was an awful character for not doing anything plus there was the possibility of characters dying.

Yet you have others shows, many of them, but I'll just use something like Saint Seiya Omega where you have the supporting female character, Yuna, is fighting one of the antagonists of the show and is about to be defeated and the main male character, Koga, comes in to save her. Is there any complaining that he's stealing the spotlight "just because he's the main character" or that it's unfair to Yuna? No, instead Koga is praised as being a super awesome amazing character where Yuna is being trashed for being weak and awful that she's not winning or contributing (which she had been).

---

Different times he's even stated it himself such as in the case of Saber from Fate/Zero that she was an awful character yet if you gender bent her to be a male, but kept her exactly the same otherwise, she would now suddenly be a great character. That's hypocritical and sexist.

---

There's many more but I'll stop here. In Attack on Titan look out for the character
Levi
I believe his name is for another upcoming recent example of hypocrisy.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! Sigma 8

Although they managed to save the cruiseliner from sinking, this episode still sinks the ship that is Sousuke and Tessa. Thirteen minutes after the end of her 17th birthday, bro has the stones to tell Tessa that
he loves Kaname more than her.
This episode also introduces us to the newest and most shocking villain in the series:
Lt. Commander Andrei Sergeiovitch Kalinin
. It's a pretty big deal.

Heartcatch Precure - 1

1 minute in.

That...That melody....YASUHARU TAKANASHI COMPOSED THIS?!?

My heart just skipped a beat. The battles in this show are going to be brilliant with this man composing the music. SO HYPED.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Just look at something like Magi where he was complaining that Mor wasn't doing much to contribute (which she was) and then you have an episode where she single handedly takes out a bunch of smugglers or something and then he was complaining that she was overpowered and thus a dull boring awful character who's the worst in the show.

Judal (who I like as well) shows up for an episode and is so overpowered he easily defeated all the main characters no problem and is only beaten for certain plot purposes. The reaction here is that he's a super awesome amazing compelling character who is the best in the show.

---

You can just compare shows such as Attack on Titan and Valvrave. AoT has a no nonsense competent female character who's maybe overpowered but shown to be strong and can do many things. She's labelled as an awful terrible character who continues to get worse and is the worst in the show. He goes so far as to say the author isn't very good and is making entry level fan fiction mistakes for portraying her this way.

You then have someone like Haruto in Valvrave who isn't much of a fighter and he
hops into the Valvrave and goes onto easily destroy a whole bunch of enemy units
and he's a great character who's one of the best in the show and the people in the show should recognize his epic deeds and it's great that he's getting so many friend requests. Apparently it doesn't matter if he's overpowered.

---

You have a character like Medaka from Medaka Box who seems to be overconfident in herself to the point of being maybe arrogant and she's basically overpowered she's so strong. At least at the beginning that I saw. She's labelled as an awful terrible protagonist and it's really just bad that she's so overpowered.

Yet, going back to Valvrave, you have someone like L-Elf, who is overconfident to the point of being arrogant, seems to think more of himself, and is so brokenly overpowered the guy can
basically take on mech units without his own and make missles and explosives appear out of nowhere
. He's practically a demi-god and yet he's lauded as being just an amazing character who is the best in the show alongside Haruto. In fact he's so great he's one of the top five characters in mecha, maybe it was ever.

---

As an aside, all the time male characters from original shows that no one has seen yet or knows anything about are labelled as having great designs and great personalities. Female characters are either said to have terrible designs or have a negative impression that hopefully they aren't awful and have to prove themselves otherwise unlike the males. There also is this female characters apparently have to "contribute" to be of any worth idea. Often times if they are not participating in battle or are losing in battle they're awful, terrible etc. Yet a male character can show up for just three seconds and do nothing and they are the best character in the show like Mochimazzi in Tamako Market.

--

Going back to Magi, there is the character Ren, who when first introduced to battle is getting in the way of the characters, and has to be bailed out many times, by the female character no less, and even cries a bit that he can't do anything. He's labelled as a great character and "one of the best damsels in distress" no less. You have a show like Devil Survivor 2 with the main female character who participates in battle in one episode and is defeated and needs to be rescued and she's just labelled as weak and getting in the way and it's terrible that she was just crying about it.

You have the character from Zetsuen no Tempest,
Hanemura
, who had some powers but was a weak fighter and was always wining that he didn't want to fight and he was labelled as a great character. How could anybody not like him? Yet you have a female character in another show who doesn't want to fight and is maybe whining and she's annoying and awful and terrible etc.

---

Recently in Devil Survivor 2 in the most recent episode
the male Daichi is still shown to be weak but the female Airi gets a power upgrade.
He claims that this is unfair and bad writing. If you have a female character who continues to be weak and a male character who gets an upgrade, well the work is not labelled as having terrible writing nor is fairness questioned. Instead the male character is lauded as being so great and amazing where the female character continues to be weak, not contributing and awful.

---

There's an example with something like Psycho Pass where
Kougami, the supporting male lead, is fighting the antagonist of the show is defeated and about to be killed. Akane, the main female lead, strikes the antagonist on the back of the head knocking him out and saving Kougami.
He complains that she was stealing the spotlight "just because she's the main character" and that it didn't seem fair. This despite the fact that he was constantly complaining she was an awful character for not doing anything plus there was the possibility of characters dying.

Yet you have others shows, many of them, but I'll just use something like Saint Seiya Omega where you have the supporting female character, Yuna, is fighting one of the antagonists of the show and is about to be defeated and the main male character, Koga, comes in to save her. Is there any complaining that he's stealing the spotlight "just because he's the main character" or that it's unfair to Yuna? No, instead Koga is praised as being a super awesome amazing character where Yuna is being trashed for being weak and awful that she's not winning or contributing (which she had been).

---

Different times he's even stated it himself such as in the case of Saber from Fate/Zero that she was an awful character yet if you gender bent her to be a male, but kept her exactly the same otherwise, she would now suddenly be a great character. That's hypocritical and sexist.

---

There's many more but I'll stop here. In Attack on Titan look out for the character
Levi
I believe his name is for another upcoming recent example of hypocrisy.

bPw6ho4.png

Railgun S2 - 07
Lots of fillers in this episode i thought we would have the events of ep 8 in this one.

Instead we got kuroko worries and saten sniffing around .
Better than nothing i guess

Defuser

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S ep 7

I hate the fact they padded out this episode for more Kuroko and gang. Doesn't matter because next week is ITEM! ITEM! ITEM!!!

atQ1p0Y.jpg

Ami Koshimizu as the sadistic Level 5 motherfuckers!!

Pretty Cure Franchise Overview

3/10/2013-5/24/2013

Well this took some time. Quite a lot of time. Time that could've been spent doing something else obviously, but I went with this, and it was a fun ride, even if there was some shitty moments. Anything spoiler tagged doesn't spoil major elements of any series.

Futari wa Pretty Cure

Ahh, the first one, the one that started all this merchandising shit, and it's pretty strong here. The show actually takes its time to play around with the main and side cast, even if some of em don't get much screen time. Nagisa herself has a rather contrasting element from other protagonists, considering she didn't want to embrace her Pretty Cure destiny at first, but Honoka did because "it could be fun". Nagisa has some weak resolve issues, consider the previous sentence, but she always had Honoka to bring her out of her pit. And I guess that's something I like about Nagisa, or rather, Futari wa, and I think it has to do with the limited amount of finishers. Maybe. Both Main characters pretty much need each other as a pillar of support and that shows rather well.

However, this also made me feel more aware of the term "Toei Budget". Considering they lack any form of magic attacks outside of finishers, they should budget for more direct combat right? Wrong. Without proper budgeting, very few episodes ever really shine in combat. Villains for the most part, aren't too memorable outside of one in mind. Also ugly ass CG queen. A nice watch to say the least, and a good starting point to get a grasp of the series. There's also shades of repetition going for it outside of monster of the week.

Futari wa Pretty Cure: Max Heart

The follow up. This adds a new character named Hikari/Shiny Luminous, who is the only support style Pretty Cure in the franchise. Considering she's new, she tends to get developed over time into an interesting character. She's quite helpful and a proper addition to the cast, and it fixes all the issues with Futari wa. I can't recommend this enough to people.

Above statement is a load of shit. Max Heart is by far the worst piece of shit to come out of this franchise. How it made the most money is beyond my comprehension. Shiny Luminous is the worst god damn thing to happen since she's involved in everything even when she's not needed. She is the reason why support cures exist. It does not fix issues with Futai wa, and by default, is even more repetitive. I'm surprised I marathoned this. I nearly died from Pretty Cure because of how awful it is. Wanna know how bad Luminous is. She does nothing of value in any of the movies. This season is shit. SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

Pretty Cure Splash Star

We're given main characters that are pretty similar to our last cast, and because of that, it is the black sheep of the franchise, and nearly sunk the ship as well, which is bullshit. It fixes everything wrong with Futari wa and makes it more compelling, even villians. While it starts off feeling like FWPC, it develops into its own thing once it is in the double digits. It shares strengths with its predecessors, but also has a budget for its fights, the final stretch being completely awesome with its animation. However, Saki does not do much to fill in the void of being different from Nagisa, so it kinda makes her suffer for it. Third favorite of the series.

Yes Pretty Cure 5+GoGo

This is the second series to have a sequel, YPC5 is the first one to have 5 pretty cures (with the sequel adding a new one), making it have the largest cast of the franchise. However, a good deal of them aren't too interesting, and it has some useless mascots. On top of that, it really pushes its romance aspect, which makes it excessively creepy when you consider that the love interests are with the furry mascots that can turn human. Villains aren't quite as interesting outside of Bunbee, although its sequel makes up for it a bit. Don't expect much of a side cast as it is pretty barren, especially in the sequel. There's also issues with cast usefulness which the sequel also fixes up. Main cast can be pretty lacking as well, especially with Komachi, whose side stories aren't too interesting, as well as her powers. GoGo however, makes everyone useful. GoGo, however added Miracle Lights and main character power ups to the movie, which is its biggest crime.

Fresh Precure
It added the concept of babies. That's terrible. Anyway, the side cast is vastly better than the previous entry in the series, and this is also the point where everyone was aware that Pretty Cure is a thing. In fact, it is the peak of the franchise in regards to people being aware of them. Fresh has some truly great arcs, although it also has its share of lull time. It also hosts one of my most hated Cures, so seeing how she fails amused me greatly. Three characters tend to hog the spotlight, and they're all good characters (I don't mean in regards to their affinity). The Villains are great here, Although Cure Peach is probably the ugliest main Cure. Everyone is one year older, but the only thing of value it did was give people breasts. This might be the fourth favorite otherwise. It also established something else that I liked.

Heartcatch Precure

It's so good that it's easy to recommend to non-fans. It's like... everything done right basically if you had any particular issues with the previous series. Awesome music, great characters, things being at stake as well as some interesting side stories, some of which is rather surprising considering the demograph. It also has Best Cure Marine. The Opening and ending were a bit of a problem though, because it was so god damn spoilery without any shame, and it's a shame when both of its endings (especially Tomorrow Song) are so damn good. So what we have is Great main cast (and the naming aspect makes a lot of sense), great side cast, and a great villain cast. And great animation to boot! What more could you want? Hell, it even has the best movie of the group.

Suite Precure

While the side cast is pretty good, what the hell happened with the main cast? It's like the moment a New cure appeared, character development became a big problem, as the new characters aren't developed too well (primarily Muse), and Hibiki soaks up the light like a sponge. The music isn't too great (which is ironic), and I'm sad that Cure Beat feels a bit underdeveloped since she wasn't the last Cure to join. While it starts off interesting because Melody and Rhythm constantly fight, they get over the hurdle after like 10 episodes, and starts to go on a slow decline. It's still worth watching but around halfway through, it prepares for a trainwreck. It following after Heartcatch didn't do it any favors. Not the worst season though. Not sure where I'd rank it.

Smile Precure

God Bless Yayoi

Read here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=59149869&postcount=17850

Going to avoid giving Doki Doki opinions here, so if you're a newcomer, you might as well throw that on the list at least.

Not much of an overview I guess but I can give the worst Cures.
1. Shiny Luminous
2. Cure Muse
3. Cure Berry
4. Cure Mint

If you have questions, just ask.

Merriam Webster's said:
Hypocrisy, noun. 1. a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not; especially : the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion

I'm not trying to defend DTL, who certainly has deplorable opinions, just the English language. I don't think he's ever tried to hide or deny his extreme sexism. He may be a bad person, but at least he's consistent! (Too consistent, really; his impressions are always a rehash of the same old sexist lines and are painfully monotonous to read. It's the same sort of thing I've felt creeping more and more into SDBurton's impressions on the other end lately. If all you can think about is "I wish all the characters of the other sex would die so I can pair up boys/girls to my heart's content", well...)

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S ep 7

I hate the fact they padded out this episode for more Kuroko and gang. Doesn't matter because next week is ITEM! ITEM! ITEM!!!

atQ1p0Y.jpg

Ami Koshimizu as the sadistic Level 5 motherfuckers!!

She will probably be there for ep 9 .

Anyway HYPE for the next 2 weeks. they better animate those fights !

Pretty Cure Franchise Overview

Futari wa Pretty Cure: Max Heart

The follow up. This adds a new character named Hikari/Shiny Luminous, who is the only support style Pretty Cure in the franchise. Considering she's new, she tends to get developed over time into an interesting character. She's quite helpful and a proper addition to the cast, and it fixes all the issues with Futari wa. I can't recommend this enough to people.

WHAT ?
Your reviews are pretty spot-on but recommanding max heart ? really ?

I can't agree on this one.

Max hearts goes in circles.
Animation is bad, shiny luminous despite all the episode used didn't manage to be something.
Max heart does improve on some aspects of the first season but leaves all the problems there and those problem will be only fixed in splash star .

Max heart has a great second movie but is a mess and i don't understand why you would recomand it unless you're a die hard fan.

WHAT ?
Your reviews are pretty spot-on but recommanding max heart ? really ?

I can't agree on this one.

Max hearts goes in circles.
Animation is bad, shiny luminous despite all the episode used didn't manage to be something.
Max heart does improve on some aspects of the first season but leaves all the problems there and those problem will be only fixed in splash star .

Max heart has a great second movie but is a mess and i don't understand why you would recomand it unless you're a die hard fan.

Why not.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

So, I guess I should ask the question is on everyone's SDBurton's mind - when does the sexualization/yuri-ization begin? lol

スター・トレック イントゥ・ダークネス

Mari Okada's latest masterpiece hit the theaters last week, so of course I had to take a look.

Honestly, this is an insult to Okada. Black Rock Shooter is a fucking masterpiece compared to the shitty fanwank that was the knife into the heart of a 40 year old iconic franchise.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom