• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

I didn't watch SAO after the first main half, but at the moment I feel like Valvrave is about the same, except more absurd.

I have a feeling though the second half of the show is the key to attaining the levels of hate firehawk got to.

What did Valvrave ever do to you that you would want to wound it so by making such an off-base and unfair comparison?

(I haven't actually watched episodes 7-8 just yet)

WRV9ZxB.png

Jex

So many people that don't like RahXephon :(

I fully admit I was pretty blown away by it. Maybe it wouldn't hold up to a rewatch but I loved all the twists and turns of the story, thought it had great production values, and had several standout moments (including the obvious ones of 15 and 19).

But then I've never seen Eva,
I never saw it as a harem show, and I never thought there was much implication of incest, so... I guess I'm just a bit dumb about these things.

There's no time like the present!

For the record, not that I set the record on these things, while RahXephon borrowed heavily from Evangelion with regards to certain design, story, and character elements I really don't think that's it's a fair criticism to say that because it took these things from another show it is therefore a bad show. Anime titles borrow from each other all the time and have done so for decades so I've never quite understood why that particular criticism is supposed to have any weight to it.

In the grand scheme of things, when you look past the obvious comparisons between the two shows they are very different beasts.

Thoraxes

What did Valvrave ever do to you that you would want to wound it so by making such an off-base and unfair comparison?
I feel like it's slowly but steadily approaching that same level of... I don't have a word for it. Level of stupid?

It's the first time in a while that I felt like a show was so bad it's good.

But Valvrave has robots, and for that I will watch it to the end, especially because of how much it makes me laugh week after week. The show is pure entertainment.

I guess I'm the guy who hates SAO now. lol

And VVV is dumb, but it's nowhere near approaching being offensive.

That post is basically legendary by now. You summed up the entire feelings of all the detractors in a perfectly written post that is now immortalized.

(I haven't actually watched episodes 7-8 just yet)
I haven't seen them yet either, but that's what the weekend is for!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I feel like it's slowly but steadily approaching that same level of... I don't have a word for it. Level of stupid?

It's the first time in a while that I felt like a show was so bad it's good.

But Valvrave has robots, and for that I will watch it to the end, especially because of how much it makes me laugh week after week.
VVV is Geass-stupid. lol Now, I can't stand Geass, but then again, I don't despite it either.

That post is basically legendary by now. You summed up the entire feelings of all the detractors in a perfectly written post that is now immortalized.
Welp, so be it. lol

CorvoSol

I need to find his other hate post.

Oh my. I almost want to see for myself now, but that's almost contrary to the point, isn't it?

I didn't watch SAO after the first main half, but at the moment I feel like Valvrave is about the same, except more absurd.

I have a feeling though the second half of the show is the key to attaining the levels of hate firehawk got to.

I feel like Valvrave isn't bad, its just stupid. And when I am at last able to embrace the stupid, I'll love it as only Anime-GAF can.

Code Geass R2 11

Bleh. The only interesting part of the entire episode for me was Shin-Kei putting his life on the line to defend his Empress. That was good. I guess Zero hamming it up was okay, too, but the rest was eh. To be honest, I'm gettin' REAL tired of the KOTR schtick at this point. They're losers who hold my boy Suzaku back.

More than them, though, I'm just tired of seeing Prince Sneasel. Much as I love Boba Fett, that's who Sneasel reminds me of. A character wildly praised for . . . standing there and looking pretty.

Thoraxes

VVV is Geass-stupid. lol Now, I can't stand Geass, but then again, I don't despite it either.

Welp, so be it. lol

I feel like Valvrave isn't bad, its just stupid. And when I am at last able to embrace the stupid, I'll love it as only Anime-GAF can.

I think my thing is that I don't differentiate between bad and stupid, and just lump them together when talking about shows, which is an error on my part for sure.

Defuser

Valvrave doesn't hide for what it is....dumb and stupidly fun.

SAO on the other hand pass off it's offensiveness as plot and pretends.

So uhhh....

So I decided to find out how long it took me to get through Futari Wa Pretty Cure: Max Heart and I see this

Start Date: Mar 15, 2013
End Date: Mar 17, 2013

I wish I could watch a show of that length in that amount of time on normal circumstances. Sometimes I pray for my internet to go out again so I can marathon some things again.

Mature

Mobile Police Patlabor 2: The Movie
I gotta be honest: I think I could watch the soft panning across cityscapes and the single frame shots of living rooms set to that really calming, atmospheric music for hours. They're beautiful and hypnotic. The story in this one didn't grip me as much as the first one, but it was just as expertly crafted. I really respected all of the scenes between Goto and Arakawa. It seems like in these Oshii flicks, there's a lot of respect given to the viewer. They don't repeat things for the sake of impact, and in that vein it's worth holding on to every bit of dialogue. It obviously makes it a bit more cryptic and hard to follow, but it pays off in it's intrinsic execution.

Seriously, that city.

Thoraxes

DeSu2 - 08

I do not like this route choice at all. I guess it's neat because it's the exact opposite of everything I did in game though.

CorvoSol

I think my thing is that I don't differentiate between bad and stupid, and just lump them together when talking about shows, which is an error on my part for sure.

Sometimes, stupid can be fun.

Full Metal Panic! Sigma 9

So it's now been 9 months since Sousuke arrived at Kaname's school, meaning this isn't much later than the Christmas arc. Our opening scene is of Tessa, visiting her mom and dad's grave, noting it's been 6 years, presumably since their death. Meaning Tessa was around 10 or 11 at the time. Leonard shows up and things get tense for a bit, before he flees.

It's election time at Jindai High, meaning the old Student Council is over (and Hayashimizu is graduating.) Before he leaves, H has some things to say to Sousuke. Mostly that he's pieced together that there's something about Chidori that makes her a target, and that things aren't going to remain the peaceful high school comedy for them for much longer, he suspects. We also learn from him that Kaname's father is a commissioner for the UN, explaining why he's never around.

Sousuke and Kaname also hold hands for the first time and it is adorable. Then Leonard shows up right at the end, which can only mean bad news. Also, Leonard apparently learned everything he knows about boyfriends from Edward Cullen, because he broke into Kaname's apartment.

fertygo

The Big O - 12

This show so good looking, the art are fantastic. This episode also heve glorious mechanical sakuga, coupled with some of best mecha design ever that this show have, its just..
Goddamn what a episode..

Dynedom

It was pretty sweet (Big spoilers for RahXephon, obviously) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu8qQ5VAbws

Man, time for a rewatch. RIP Bones.

For the record, not that I set the record on these things, while RahXephon borrowed heavily from Evangelion with regards to certain design, story, and character elements I really don't think that's it's a fair criticism to say that because it took these things from another show it is therefore a bad show. Anime titles borrow from each other all the time and have done so for decades so I've never quite understood why that particular criticism is supposed to have any weight to it.

In the grand scheme of things, when you look past the obvious comparisons between the two shows they are very different beasts.

Yeah but it's just easier this way, man

Hataraku Maou-sama - 8
Good episode. They always find a way to create amusing fish out of water moments. Also, the rival SFC owner looks a hell of a lot like
James from Team Rocket, except he's shorter and has a lighter blue hair color.

Valvrave - 7
"Everyone calm down! There is no need to worry! I am a physics teacher."

Trapeze - 1-3
I like this quite a bit so far! The patients' issues range in ridiculousness but stem from very grounded emotions and symptoms. Having a very vibrant color palette and a lot of energy help the episodic structure work as well. Love the music too.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Mirai Nikki (Future Diary): 7-12
Entertaining so far, even after a long break. I feel like I shouldn't be enjoying this.
I blame Valvrave.

Mirai Nikki (Future Diary): 13
Welp. There goes whatever yandere innocence I had.
I mean really? Sigh. I guess I have to watch the next ep at least.

Dunno how this lasts another 13 eps. I really don't.

CorvoSol

The Big O - 12

This show so good looking, the art are fantastic. This episode also heve glorious mechanical sakuga, coupled with some of best mecha design ever that this show have, its just..
Goddamn what a episode..

Don't forget about the music! The music is amazing in that show.

The Count of Monte Cristo 4

Seriously. This show made it so that everyone, the audience included, is on the edge of their seat as The Count takes a SIP of SOUP. That's how awesome the Count is: his consumption of SOUP is an amazing and brilliant moment.

SO GOOD.

Ho-ly sheet.

If you want the entire first season of Aniplex of America's SAO Dub on Blu-Ray, it'll run you up $360.

What truly kills me is that there are people who are going to buy that.

For a set loaded with that much stuff I think its a good deal. They need to do more releases like it here, as barebones sets from others feel weak and cheap.

trejo

The Prophet Heil Elf

Glorious. I had my reservations before but the way this show truly does not give a single fuck has won me over now.

Glasses chick might as well had asked Haruto to marry her once this was all over with the amount of death flags she was triggering.

MJP 8

I'm not really sure why I'm still watching this, tbh. I don't really care for the events happening and the characters are starting to really wear on me. Tamaki, specifically, strikes me as particularly worthless. I suppose it's nice that they finally seem to be coming to grips with how to function as a team but, meh.

At least the CG mecha action is still sorta nicely choreographed, I guess.

Maoudonalds 8

Great episode.

Jumping ship to #TeamKimonoGirl is starting to not seem like such a bad idea.

Mr.Jeff

At the very least, you didn't like any of the animation or action? I would assume those would be enjoyable in isolation from the rest of the series.
I honestly can't remember much about the series beyond those two things really but that's mainly down to me watching it 8 years ago. I do recall there being some great looking enemy monsters but that's about it really.

I wasn't one for appreciating or understanding great animation back then and not much has really changed sadly unless it's something noticeably different like say Kaiba.

I think certain aspects of it were alright such as the
side story of one of the command crew (?) being tormented by a past experience with one of the monsters
but the overally plot line was tragically wasted with some awful protagonists and antagonists.

The soundtrack is still great though and the OP song is pretty neat after all this time.

Jex

Mobile Police Patlabor 2: The Movie

I gotta be honest: I think I could watch the soft panning across cityscapes and the single frame shots of living rooms set to that really calming, atmospheric music for hours. They're beautiful and hypnotic. The story in this one didn't grip me as much as the first one, but it was just as expertly crafted. I really respected all of the scenes between Goto and Arakawa. It seems like in these Oshii flicks, there's a lot of respect given to the viewer. They don't repeat things for the sake of impact, and in that vein it's worth holding on to every bit of dialogue. It obviously makes it a bit more cryptic and hard to follow, but it pays off in it's intrinsic execution.

Seriously, that city.

It's okay, you can just watch this scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3GWlzlhGLA on loop whenever you feel like you need another hit.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Valvrave 6.5 - 7

Saki is still fucking terrible.

Shoko is still a boss.

Ainaaaaaaaaa ;_;

Also don't believe the lies. The beginning of the episode is going to be a total lie.

And dat ass.

Narag

The Big O - 12

Goddamn what a episode..

Easily my favorite (out of many good ones) from the first season. The Schwarvald stuff concluding was so good.

Pooya

catch up with Valvrave or watch BRS TV? decisions decisions :|

Black Rock Shooter TV - 1

well, that was something. Story aside I think the execution overall is pretty good, good sound effects, nice lighting creates a somewhat strange uneasy atmosphere, those Kagari scenes was done well and effectively creepy, I think I like it enough to watch more for now. If this was some horror story it would be intriguing looking like that, too bad it's not.

3a6xvd.jpg
2k2y2d.jpg

what's with their hair styles?

Battles looking good, too bad there wasn't enough, and all of it doesn't make much sense anyway of course.

Kurita

GTO (2012) 1
Didn't really know what to expect but so far it's pretty good.
While some key scenes are still in the drama, there are still differences that make it enjoyable even if you read the manga.
I like the actors they picked, the director is so pretty, good lord...
It has a good soundtrack but I think I prefer the OST of the anime version.
From what I can gather it also covers some stuff from GTO Shonan 14 Days, pretty cool idea.

Highschool of the Dead (Ep.3)

pKcrzt2l.jpg

So I wanted to watch something mindless I could have on in the background while playing Ragnarok and decided on this.

What's the general consensus on it? Is there a good pay off for the characters in the end, or is it simply just trying to create enough situations where the breasts of high schools girls can act contrary to gravity while zombies happen to chase the group?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Highschool of the Dead (Ep.3)

http://i.imgur.com/pKcrzt2l.jpg[IMG]

So I wanted to watch something mindless I could have on in the background while playing Ragnarok and decided on this.

What's the general consensus on it? Is there a good pay off for the characters in the end, or is it simply just trying to create enough situations where the breasts of high schools girls can act contrary to gravity while zombies happen to chase the group?[/QUOTE]

It doesn't really have an ending since the manga is still running.

cajunator

Banned
Pretty Cure Franchise Overview

3/10/2013-5/24/2013

Well this took some time. Quite a lot of time. Time that could've been spent doing something else obviously, but I went with this, and it was a fun ride, even if there was some shitty moments. Anything spoiler tagged doesn't spoil major elements of any series.

Futari wa Pretty Cure

Ahh, the first one, the one that started all this merchandising shit, and it's pretty strong here. The show actually takes its time to play around with the main and side cast, even if some of em don't get much screen time. Nagisa herself has a rather contrasting element from other protagonists, considering she didn't want to embrace her Pretty Cure destiny at first, but Honoka did because "it could be fun". Nagisa has some weak resolve issues, consider the previous sentence, but she always had Honoka to bring her out of her pit. And I guess that's something I like about Nagisa, or rather, Futari wa, and I think it has to do with the limited amount of finishers. Maybe. Both Main characters pretty much need each other as a pillar of support and that shows rather well.

However, this also made me feel more aware of the term "Toei Budget". Considering they lack any form of magic attacks outside of finishers, they should budget for more direct combat right? Wrong. Without proper budgeting, very few episodes ever really shine in combat. Villains for the most part, aren't too memorable outside of one in mind. Also ugly ass CG queen. A nice watch to say the least, and a good starting point to get a grasp of the series. There's also shades of repetition going for it outside of monster of the week.

Futari wa Pretty Cure: Max Heart

The follow up. This adds a new character named Hikari/Shiny Luminous, who is the only support style Pretty Cure in the franchise. Considering she's new, she tends to get developed over time into an interesting character. She's quite helpful and a proper addition to the cast, and it fixes all the issues with Futari wa. I can't recommend this enough to people.

Above statement is a load of shit. Max Heart is by far the worst piece of shit to come out of this franchise. How it made the most money is beyond my comprehension. Shiny Luminous is the worst god damn thing to happen since she's involved in everything even when she's not needed. She is the reason why support cures exist. It does not fix issues with Futai wa, and by default, is even more repetitive. I'm surprised I marathoned this. I nearly died from Pretty Cure because of how awful it is. Wanna know how bad Luminous is. She does nothing of value in any of the movies. This season is shit. SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

Pretty Cure Splash Star

We're given main characters that are pretty similar to our last cast, and because of that, it is the black sheep of the franchise, and nearly sunk the ship as well, which is bullshit. It fixes everything wrong with Futari wa and makes it more compelling, even villians. While it starts off feeling like FWPC, it develops into its own thing once it is in the double digits. It shares strengths with its predecessors, but also has a budget for its fights, the final stretch being completely awesome with its animation. However, Saki does not do much to fill in the void of being different from Nagisa, so it kinda makes her suffer for it. Third favorite of the series.

Yes Pretty Cure 5+GoGo

This is the second series to have a sequel, YPC5 is the first one to have 5 pretty cures (with the sequel adding a new one), making it have the largest cast of the franchise. However, a good deal of them aren't too interesting, and it has some useless mascots. On top of that, it really pushes its romance aspect, which makes it excessively creepy when you consider that the love interests are with the furry mascots that can turn human. Villains aren't quite as interesting outside of Bunbee, although its sequel makes up for it a bit. Don't expect much of a side cast as it is pretty barren, especially in the sequel. There's also issues with cast usefulness which the sequel also fixes up. Main cast can be pretty lacking as well, especially with Komachi, whose side stories aren't too interesting, as well as her powers. GoGo however, makes everyone useful. GoGo, however added Miracle Lights and main character power ups to the movie, which is its biggest crime.

Fresh Precure
It added the concept of babies. That's terrible. Anyway, the side cast is vastly better than the previous entry in the series, and this is also the point where everyone was aware that Pretty Cure is a thing. In fact, it is the peak of the franchise in regards to people being aware of them. Fresh has some truly great arcs, although it also has its share of lull time. It also hosts one of my most hated Cures, so seeing how she fails amused me greatly. Three characters tend to hog the spotlight, and they're all good characters (I don't mean in regards to their affinity). The Villains are great here, Although Cure Peach is probably the ugliest main Cure. Everyone is one year older, but the only thing of value it did was give people breasts. This might be the fourth favorite otherwise. It also established something else that I liked.

Heartcatch Precure

It's so good that it's easy to recommend to non-fans. It's like... everything done right basically if you had any particular issues with the previous series. Awesome music, great characters, things being at stake as well as some interesting side stories, some of which is rather surprising considering the demograph. It also has Best Cure Marine. The Opening and ending were a bit of a problem though, because it was so god damn spoilery without any shame, and it's a shame when both of its endings (especially Tomorrow Song) are so damn good. So what we have is Great main cast (and the naming aspect makes a lot of sense), great side cast, and a great villain cast. And great animation to boot! What more could you want? Hell, it even has the best movie of the group.

Suite Precure

While the side cast is pretty good, what the hell happened with the main cast? It's like the moment a New cure appeared, character development became a big problem, as the new characters aren't developed too well (primarily Muse), and Hibiki soaks up the light like a sponge. The music isn't too great (which is ironic), and I'm sad that Cure Beat feels a bit underdeveloped since she wasn't the last Cure to join. While it starts off interesting because Melody and Rhythm constantly fight, they get over the hurdle after like 10 episodes, and starts to go on a slow decline. It's still worth watching but around halfway through, it prepares for a trainwreck. It following after Heartcatch didn't do it any favors. Not the worst season though. Not sure where I'd rank it.

Smile Precure

God Bless Yayoi

Read here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=59149869&postcount=17850

Going to avoid giving Doki Doki opinions here, so if you're a newcomer, you might as well throw that on the list at least.

Not much of an overview I guess but I can give the worst Cures.
1. Shiny Luminous
2. Cure Muse
3. Cure Berry
4. Cure Mint

If you have questions, just ask.

I see what you did there! Great writeup though!

I did a horrible thing to this thread, never expecting a single franchise to catch fire and consume such a large percentage of the discussion. I'm sorry.

You've done a wonderful thing.
If I knew jack shit about making an OT thread Id make the Precure OT myself. Maybe if someone helps me about what to put on it and some images I can do it since no one else seems to want to.

Damn. This is what happens when people actually read posts.

I read them all too.
I SEE EVERYTHING.

Why must people insist on posting this terrible character?

Awww *pats Yayoi on the head

On that note I'm about to relieve a spider of its need to worry about tomorrow.

EDIT: Shoe beats Spider. Rest in pieces.

:(

;_;

Yeah, all the gratuitous shots of naked women and children are definitely high class.

Well I meant the show is very entertaining, not to be confused with classy XD

hyouka.png

Dat Chiaki Omigawa <3
She's so adorable in this role.

How was I meant to see that episode?

Kiddy Grade 14

CAJUN.

CAJUN WHERE ARE YOU.

I JUST HAD FEELS. FEELS OVER ROBOTS.
ROBOTS CHOOSING TO DIE AS THEMSELVES

After you get past the hilariously wide faces, painfully unnecessary upskirts and that TWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINKLE, this is a story about two ex-cops whose chief has basically set out a manhunt on them, and if the last ten seconds of this show are any indication, stuff is about to get realer. Like hecka real.

More feels to come.
More WTF's also.
I should really watch it again as many things are becoming vague.

Is Sword Art Online really as bad as you all say it is?

Its worse than you can imagine.

I guess I'm the guy who hates SAO now. lol

And VVV is dumb, but it's nowhere near approaching being offensive.

Every time I see VVV I think of Venus Versus Virus. Which nobody watched.

well, that was something. Story aside I think the execution overall is pretty good, good sound effects, nice lighting creates a somewhat strange uneasy atmosphere, those Kagari scenes was done well and effectively creepy, I think I like it enough to watch more for now. If this was some horror story it would be intriguing looking like that, too bad it's not.

Battles looking good, too bad there wasn't enough, and all of it doesn't make much sense anyway of course.

Delicious suffering.

Continue!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Yessssssss. :D Embrace the crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom