• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Valvrave 7-

This is the best show I've seen since Code Geass. Holy shit this is amazing. If that prologue is where they're going with the story then this might make its way on my all time favorite list.

The Devil is a Part-Timer! Episode 8 "The Hero Enters the Fray" (via FuniHulu)
tumblr_mndjjv5yfU1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mndjjv5yfU1qbxqfpo2_500.png

I was saying that last episode, they do treat Urushihara so bad. But Ill always be his number one fan. The episode, or even anime, as a whole is just plain good when its not focused on action. However with this episode, I think it is also just much better when it tries not to be too romanced focused. When it does the romance it just feels quite a bit less enjoyable and just way too generic, losing its individuality. Thankfully, I guess, they are appealing to people who may prefer either or so while half was on romance the stuff outside of that was memorable and really funny at times.
The Sentucky Fried Chicken Manager plot looks fun

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
scene of the season

nah thats definitely the ending of last weeks Aku no Hana, which is also show of the season/

Valvrave 7-

This is the best show I've seen since Code Geass. Holy shit this is amazing. If that prologue is where they're going with the story then this might make its way on my all time favorite list.

Yeah its been crazy.

I fucking love this show except for Saki. Fuck her. Seriously, fuck her.

In a perfect world, the last 30s would not exist. The anime would've ended. Greatest ending ever.

Yeah. I really don't know if it's just a me but majority of anime endings tend to suck. They just don't know how to end something. There are way more bad endings than good ones. Dat ending of Soul Eater...never forget.

Saki Side-A 16 (END - FINALLY)

I don't think this show ever decided on which school it wanted to focus on, despite Achiga being in the actual title of the show. I never even particularly cared about anyone in those schools because of said focus shifts so the mahjong matches that I didn't understand at all were incredibly uninteresting compared to the original Saki. The only things I enjoyed were the pretty decent seiyuu cast and the incredibly blatant lesbianism, and hopefully the actual sequel next year will provide that plus the return to the original cast that I actually enjoyed.

NomarTyme

Questions for those who is still watching Majestic Prince and/or Karneval.... I stop watching both of these after episode 3, so does either of these anime get any better?

Questions for those who is still watching Majestic Prince and/or Karneval.... I stop watching both of these after episode 3, so does either of these anime get any better?

Majestic Prince had a few slow episodes but as of late it has turned out to be pretty good when it went back to big space fights. Definitely pick it back up.

Karneval has been like it was from the start. I think Im a bit biased, but I think its the best of the season excellent episode 1 and excellent episode through now. Just really great looking characters doing really funny and/or actiony things.

survivor

Banned
Arakawa Under the Bridge 1

Had this on the Shaft backlog for whenever I finished Hidamari, but after reading Passive Assassin posts about it I moved it up and decided to watch it today.

First episode was quite funny. The characters are insane and it's one of those "narrate everything" MCs so I will enjoy this a lot. Though I'm not a big fan of some of the colouring choices especially for the river scenes, they look very odd.

Saki Side-A 16 (END - FINALLY)

I don't think this show ever decided on which school it wanted to focus on, despite Achiga being in the actual title of the show. I never even particularly cared about anyone in those schools because of said focus shifts so the mahjong matches that I didn't understand at all were incredibly uninteresting compared to the original Saki. The only things I enjoyed were the pretty decent seiyuu cast and the incredibly blatant lesbianism, and hopefully the actual sequel next year will provide that plus the return to the original cast that I actually enjoyed.

I'm actually glad we got to see everyone school point of view and relationships.
It
-make the losses much more dramatic
-raise the stakes
-give a proper explanation for everyone powers.
-Explain the point of view of each game from each school side so you can see the tension and everything that goes with it ( including tactics )
-Make the achiga girls way more badass than they are really.
-Gave us a wonderfull set of pairings that would make SDBurton proud.

The other school focus was a nice change of pace & helped the plot so much that the achiga girls often are pushed in the background untill it's their turn to shine on the contrary to the original cast ( that is still the main heroines despites this anime ) that was always in a good position despite the challenges on their way.

As a saki fan , we got plenty of info on nodoka and more important , on teru school and if you've got this far your only option is to get HYPED for the finale ..because it's gonna be intense.

Dresden

Nobita's Dinosaur (2006)

A few random thoughts:

- Great animation. The action cuts are wonderful and the effects are top-notch stuff, but even during periods of inaction the characters are animated with expressive flair, their lively movements taking advantage of their simple designs. Not surprised given the rather impressive list of animators who worked on the movie.

- Damn good pacing. Starts out laconically, picks up speed, ends with a bang. It never stumbles along the way. The narrative maintains a sense of rhythm that few adventure movies of this sort can ever claim to match.

- As much as I enjoyed the latter half of the movie (with its grand feel for adventure), the way it establishes the story is quite noteworthy, too. I really liked how Nobita was handled throughout the film--you get a good sense for how he thinks, and why he does the things he does. When he's eagerly speculating about the kind of fame he'd receive thanks to the dinosaur, it's a nice mixture of selfishness and innocence, the sort of short-shortsightedness befitting a child. The movie never spells it out for the viewer, but it's all implicit in how it handles it.

Just super impressed by it all. I'll need to hit up MGX soon.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Its amazing to witness the whiplash from everyone hating Aku no Hana to everyone praising it.

There were a lot of people on board since the first episode. I was one of them.

Had this on the Shaft backlog for whenever I finished Hidamari, but after reading Passive Assassin posts about it I moved it up and decided to watch it today.

First episode was quite funny. The characters are insane and it's one of those "narrate everything" MCs so I will enjoy this a lot. Though I'm not a big fan of some of the colouring choices especially for the river scenes, they look very odd.

Yeah I really enjoyed this series. Personally don't get how people enjoyed SoreDemo over this but man I wish they made a new season of Arakawa.

I'm actually glad we got to see everyone school point of view and relationships.
It
-make the losses much more dramatic
-raise the stakes
-give a proper explanation for everyone powers.
-Explain the point of view of each game from each school side so you can see the tension and everything that goes with it ( including tactics )
-Make the achiga girls way more badass than they are really.
-Gave us a wonderfull set of pairings that would make SDBurton proud.

The other school focus was a nice change of pace & helped the plot so much that the achiga girls often are pushed in the background untill it's their turn to shine on the contrary to the original cast ( that is still the main heroines despites this anime ) that was always in a good position despite the challenges on their way.

As a saki fan , we got plenty of info on nodoka and more important , on teru school and if you've got this far your only option is to get HYPED for the finale ..because it's gonna be intense.

It's kind of hard to get hyped since I'm not even sure why I've watched so much of this series without understanding a single thing about mahjong.

NomarTyme

Majestic Prince had a few slow episodes but as of late it has turned out to be pretty good when it went back to big space fights. Definitely pick it back up.

Karneval has been like it was from the start. I think Im a bit biased, but I think its the best of the season excellent episode 1 and excellent episode through now. Just really great looking characters doing really funny and/or actiony things.

Thank ya.

CorvoSol

The Count of Monte Cristo 5

In this episode Albert realizes mommy and daddy don't love each other AT ALL, and his friends make a huge amount of fun of him for it. Albert gets really pissed off when Maximilian calls out all of Paris for allowing loveless marriages to happen and says that all Parisians are corrupt. Of course, what he really means is that he is in love with Franz' fiance, mad that he'll lose this woman to someone who doesn't even love her, and also despises Paris because that's where the man who ruined his father lives.

They also meet Heide, who even in the books I was never sure if she actually slept with the Count, or if she really was just his devoted servant.

The Count is also a wizard. Whether he's JUST a Sexomancer or also a Charismage is up for debate.

Albert throws a hissy fit, and draws his shiny new sword. The Count, however, suggests that they take this issue and settle it like pirates, in a duel on the bow of the boat which holds his solid gold underground mansion floating in his man-made and apparently thought-controlled underground replication of the Marseilles shore. Also the ocean is infested with bloodthirsty sharks because the Count of Monte Cristo gets off on the whole scaring others white routine. It's no wonder Franz doesn't like the guy, because ever since meeting him he's done nothing but take Albert-kun's love away from him ever since meeting him the guy has done nothing but been freaking creepy as hell and also HE LOOKS LIKE A VAMPIRE.

Okay, maybe it's just that Albert has chemistry with EVERYONE.

So Albert loses and falls in the water and the Count whisks him away to a cave for some father son time. It's sort of cryptic, but in its own strange way rather nice to see the Count act as an actual kind person toward Albert. One of the best parts of the story is that, just as the Count uses Albert to undo Morcerf and everyone who wronged him, Albert becomes the means by which the Count's schemes come undone. Also, I don't think the Count knows he's Albert's father right now, either.

The Count is so rich he can afford a man made, indoor, romantic sunset.

This was just a cool shot.

My brain says Peppo is a boy but my eyes disagree.

Peppo continues to confuse viewers, and tries to be Best Girl, even though Peppo is allegedly a boy.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG.

The episode ends with Mercedes thinking about the Count while Albert just kinda stares, dumbfounded. The whole episode is mostly about Albert thinking about whether love is important or not, and how it figures into his life.

cajunator

Banned
There were a lot of people on board since the first episode. I was one of them.

Yeah I really enjoyed this series. Personally don't get how people enjoyed SoreDemo over this but man I wish they made a new season of Arakawa.

I was a fan of it from the beginning as well but it sure was the butt of many jokes.

Hataraku Maou-sama 8

The KSFC is clearly Team Rocket's latest plan to try and capture Pikachu. After over a decade you'd think Ash and company would be able to see through these disguises. Suzu continues to cement her position as new best girl.

It's kind of hard to get hyped since I'm not even sure why I've watched so much of this series without understanding a single thing about mahjong.

Oh ?

Oh !

Well by analysing all the player powers it's easy to understand the stakes and what works and what don't.

Or you can watch for the comebacks , the pairings or many other things.

I watch saki for everything actually.

And since everyone is explainig stuff on the show you don't really need to know all the rules. It's built like a sport shonen adventure after all.

Code Geass R2 12

First and foremost
THERE'S A FUCKING GEASS CANCELLER? WHERE WAS THIS SHIT WHEN IT COULD HAVE SAVED EUPHEMIA? FUCK, SHE COULD'VE RUN AWAY AND HAD A QUIET LIFE WITH SUZAKU SOMEWHERE, BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. INSTEAD LORD ORANJEREMIAH GETS IT.

I can think of a few good reasons why it wasn't there then. First, it's not like V.V. knew about the fact that Lelouch had Geass
until after Euphemia's massacre.
You think he could be prepared for that? It's also possible V.V. came running to the scene with a
Geass Canceller during the massacre but arrived too late.
Hence why he showed up to Suzaku shortly after
Euphemia's death.

Glad to have vented that, because here's where, above all else, the show finally shows some really, truly, inexcusably bad writing. SHIRLEY. I mean, Shirley was bad writing in S1, but good GOD how many retcons can we have for this girl? I mean REALLY. I'm glad I'm not a fan of the Lelouch x Shirley ship, because this'd just be the mother of all ship-blocks here. But that aside, how many times can you possibly waffle and flip-flop a character's development? WHICH SHIRLEY DO YOU STUPID WRITERS WANT?
Oh don't you worry, the writers were well aware of the hole they fell in at that point.

Also get excited! Your not-shit new opening arrives in the next episode! What do I think of it? Not as good as the first one, but nowhere near as bad as the other ones.

Oh ?

Oh !

Well by analysing all the player powers it's easy to understand the stakes and what works and what don't.

Or you can watch for the comebacks , the pairings or many other things.

I watch saki for everything actually.

And since everyone is explainig stuff on the show you don't really need to know all the rules. It's built like a sport shonen adventure after all.

The matches in the original Saki were great even if everything was complete gibberish to me, Side-A just didn't click with me because I didn't really care about anyone in that show. I think knowing the rules would be better, since they never explain them because I guess everyone and their dog in Japan knows how to play mahjong. Chihayafuru works for me because even if they didn't explain the rules, karuta is incredibly easy to understand and it's way more engaging when you do. In Saki all I see is "Player A put a dan dora in richi before doing a kaiho super slam" and I'm just watching wondering if that's a good or bad thing.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Had a lot of fun watching this show, hope you do too! :)

Yuru Yuri: 01

This is going to be fun!

Awwwww yeah!

CorvoSol

I can think of a few good reasons why it wasn't there then. First, it's not like V.V. knew about the fact that Lelouch had Geass
until after Euphemia's massacre.
You think he could be prepared for that? It's also possible V.V. came running to the scene with a
Geass Canceller during the massacre but arrived too late.
Hence why he showed up to Suzaku shortly after
Euphemia's death.

Oh don't you worry, the writers were well aware of the hole they fell in at that point.

Also get excited! Your not-shit new opening arrives in the next episode! What do I think of it? Not as good as the first one, but nowhere near as bad as the other ones.

I know there's a legit reason for it not being there, but it just adds to the outrage.

Narag

One Piece 64

pqMrq0Cl.png

♥♥♥ Sanji ♥♥♥

The strange weather of the Grand Line knocking Nami out of her comfort zone as Navigator was pretty fun, more than it ought to have been anyhow. Liked how Miss Wednesday and Mr. 9 gave the Strawhats some initial direction in their journey thanks to taking them to Whiskey Peak as it felt like a sensible choice. Citizens welcoming the Strawhats reminded me a lot of movie 6 too.

Fab ending has me thinking this is one of the best eps I'd seen yet.

Shergal

Kare Kano 7

Why does it always come down to that? It also seems to be omnipresent in anime that deals with these things, that sort of romanticism of high school.

The lack of animation is very noticeable, but so far it has been compensated with very solid direction and nice, organic dialogue. The reaction faces have gotten a bit worse, certainly no episode after 3 (which coincidentally had Imaishi as SB/AD) has been able to keep up.

But I really like the two main characters, and it's so fresh to see a romcom focusing on issues a couple can have after it's formed for once. I imagine, with the amount of episodes, that some more serious developments are coming.

Andrew J.

So Albert loses and falls in the water and the Count whisks him away to a cave for some father son time. It's sort of cryptic, but in its own strange way rather nice to see the Count act as an actual kind person toward Albert. One of the best parts of the story is that, just as the Count uses Albert to undo Morcerf and everyone who wronged him, Albert becomes the means by which the Count's schemes come undone. Also, I don't think the Count knows he's Albert's father right now, either.

It's been a while since I've seen this, but I don't think this is one of the adaptations where that's the case.

PsionBolt

Dokidoki Precure - 17

Interesting flashback.
Statue of princess and Joe-looking figure. Of course everyone suspected he was related to the Trump kingdom somehow, but it seems e was of high standing. Maybe another member of the royal family?

This episode is again all about Regina, and she's progressed even further down the Mana route. MakoP has some catching up to do.

Does no one remember Joe's name? They keep calling him "this person" and "the guy from that store". Maybe they're ignoring him on purpose because he's a deadbeat dad that keeps dumping Ai on them.

Oh wow, real-world consequences of magic! ...Never mind. Of course not. Not that Alice couldn't fix everything with money anyway, but it'd be neat if she had to once in a while.

Suddenly,
a dokidoki in Regina's chest! The red Royal Crystal appears from her, but apparently has some sort of berserker effect too. Now she wants them all.
And shit gets real less than halfway into the episode. Impressive.

Intermission: Happy Sets give you courage and Ganbaride cards! Everyone go to McD's and buy them today!

Here it is! The preview's promised
choco transformations! Not only an interesting development, but a wonderful pun.

Down to just Mana! Regina isn't listing to her lilytastic lines, because red eyes angry mode too strong.

HOLY SHIT
KNIGHT MODE JOEEEEEEEE WHAT THE HELL! HE HAS A GODDAMN GLOWY SWORD. And they still don't remember his name.
This was not in the preview!
Heart Shoot restores the dokidoki of our fallen teammates with semi-altered stock footage, and that's the end of that.

WOAH WOAH HOLD UP HERE A SECOND.
Joe is Jonathan Klondike, not only a knight, but the princess's fiance?!
This is nuts.
If he continues to fight alongside the Dokis with that sword... Oh man, I can't wait. A real metal sword! In Precure!

What a crazy badass episode. Holy god damn. If this episode doesn't please those disappointed in Dokidoki, I don't know what will. Tenouttaten.

Narag

Probably came up earlier in the month but just saw Unico is going to get double feature bluray treatment by Discotek. Awesome.

Narag

Getter Robo 9

7vC48oVl.png

This is simply how it worked back in the day.

Another good ep. Ryo saves a Dinosaur Empire general in a fight who ends up repaying the favor when he sees the Getter team is willing to sacrifice themselves to save the city after losing to him.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

In this episode Albert realizes mommy and daddy don't love each other AT ALL, and his friends make a huge amount of fun of him for it. Albert gets really pissed off when Maximilian calls out all of Paris for allowing loveless marriages to happen and says that all Parisians are corrupt. Of course, what he really means is that he is in love with Franz' fiance, mad that he'll lose this woman to someone who doesn't even love her, and also despises Paris because that's where the man who ruined his father lives.

They also meet Heide, who even in the books I was never sure if she actually slept with the Count, or if she really was just his devoted servant.

Albert throws a hissy fit, and draws his shiny new sword. The Count, however, suggests that they take this issue and settle it like pirates, in a duel on the bow of the boat which holds his solid gold underground mansion floating in his man-made and apparently thought-controlled underground replication of the Marseilles shore. Also the ocean is infested with bloodthirsty sharks because the Count of Monte Cristo gets off on the whole scaring others white routine. It's no wonder Franz doesn't like the guy, because ever since meeting him he's done nothing but take Albert-kun's love away from him ever since meeting him the guy has done nothing but been freaking creepy as hell and also HE LOOKS LIKE A VAMPIRE.

This was just a cool shot.

Peppo continues to confuse viewers, and tries to be Best Girl, even though Peppo is allegedly a boy.

The episode ends with Mercedes thinking about the Count while Albert just kinda stares, dumbfounded. The whole episode is mostly about Albert thinking about whether love is important or not, and how it figures into his life.

Best part about Peppo is when people say "Well they just made Peppo a boy that crossdresses cause it's an anime"

It's been a while since I've seen this, but I don't think this is one of the adaptations where that's the case.

Think this was only the case in really shitty adaptations made in 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom