• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Best part about Peppo is when people say "Well they just made Peppo a boy that crossdresses cause it's an anime"

Think this was only the case in really shitty adaptations made in 2002.

I just don't know. I should look it up, I guess.

EDIT: Wikipedia suggests that Peppo WAS a boy, and is now a woman, and says Peppo was based on a character named Beppo from the novel, who I don't remember at all. TVTropes, though, maintains the ambiguity, saying only that in the manga Peppo was confirmed to be still male.

So Peppo is Peppo and I'll leave it at that.

Bleach 11 and 12

Ichida episode is still one of the best early ones and it even had a touch of Jinta too (and Ururu too). Ichida combined with the silly antics of Keigo Asano and the exam results bored potentially keep these two episode as my favorite before the other characters of Soul Society arrive.

Hentai Prince 07

I don't know why, but the show is getting better. I mean, it is still your general romcom LN nonsense, but the whole wish granting cat god aspect does make it interesting enough for me to not completely hate it (yet).

G1oMcp0.jpg

Two years?

Cyclops Shoujo Saipu 1-4

Decent, laughs are a hit and miss though.

Sister is great, but the brother is pretty generic. Would be better if he just accepted his sisters feelings for him.

Necrovex

Bleach 11 and 12

Ichida episode is still one of the best early ones and it even had a touch of Jinta too (and Ururu too). Ichida combined with the silly antics of Keigo Asano and the exam results bored potentially keep these two episode as my favorite before the other characters of Soul Society arrive.

I've thought about watching through all of Bleach (excluding the fillers), I recall enjoying it during the Soul Society arc.

Articalys

Looks like Crunchyroll was able to hustle out Attack on Titan episode 8 as promised, well ahead of their own deadline.

Of note, they also added an extra "Availability Information" notice on the show page saying "The stream time of each episode will be confirmed as materials are confirmed." So I guess that means no more fixed schedule, thanks to the show's own production issues?

jbug617

Banned
Attack on Titan 8

This a pretty cool episode.
I knew that Titan was Eren but it's crazy at the end he is comes out alive and got all his limbs back. I wonder how will they explain it.
The fights were good but not like in episode 7.

Also today at the Funimation panel they said are aiming for a September release for Binbogami ga!

Narag

Attack on Titan 8

Good ep, I think, despite the number of stills and terrible CG. Some roles established, some incoming PTSD that probably won't be explored satisfactorily, and another good ending hook. Ep felt appropriately focused on the events at hand unlike some previous eps that just blew dramatic tension too.

I still think not using Eren as a false protagonist and bringing him back is a lost opportunity. Would have loved to see Mikasa become the main character after those early eps.

Articalys

Reading over some of ANN's full panel reports for Anime Boston, and here's a couple extra details/amusing things I noticed.

From yesterday's SAO director/producer panel:
When asked if there would be a season 2 of Sword Art Online, Ito commented that there is still more of Reki Kawahara's original light novel series that has not been animated yet, and he is interested and does want to do more, but since he is working on Silver Spoon, which premieres in July, he is not available right now. Kashiwada then said that he is also not available right now, but he was very grateful to able to work with a lot of great people on the project, and would like to see more of the stories animated, and he would definitely want to work on more of the series.
[...]
When asked if maybe the “Gun Gale Online” arc from the light novels might be animated as an OVA because it is popular, Ito said that if the staff was going to make more anime anyway, they might as well make a whole new season.
When asked who their favorite character was in Sword Art Online, Kashiwada said his is Asuna, because he would like to be controlled by her. Ito said Kirito, because he is the main character, and as a director working intimately with the product, he kind of has to fall in love with the main character. As a joke, Ito added that his number one regret about the series is that he doesn't have a real-life Asuna in his life.
And additionally from the SAO dub premier:
When asked how they react to people who complain that the series is similar to .hack//SIGN, Ito said that he has heard that some fans think there are similarities, but he doesn't pay attention to that. He pretended the series did not exist when working on Sword Art Online.
From the Sentai Filmworks panel:
Q: So many early Sentai releases were DVD only with subtitles, but later got upgrades in the form of new dubs and blu-ray releases. Nowadays, it seems like more shows are blu-ray right out of the gate. Will you keep getting heavier into blu-ray, or are you going to stay conservative on BDs?
A: We don't have a cutoff or a specific target number of units before we decide to do a blu-ray release. Part of the reason we didn't do a lot of blu-rays early on is because we didn't have the resources for it. Blu-ray is very expensive to produce and manufacture, so we've had to be selective about it. Blu-ray releases need to do well enough to justify the cost of a dub, too. We're getting more successful shows, and blu-ray itself is growing significantly. That's great! It means our cost will go down. But blu-ray still isn't selling as much as DVD... yet.
Q: Thanks for getting the rights to Girls und Panzer, I love it! But during the overseas stream, the licensor cut out an image song in episode 8. Will you be including that? I'm not sure I want the show if there are cuts...
A: That's a good question, and right now, I don't have an answer for it. That is a music rights/clearance issue, hopefully it will be cleared for our release.
From the Sunrise panel:
The next series Ozaki discussed was Aikatsu!. The series premiered in October 2012 in Japan, and Ozaki said Aikatsu! is probably the first product from Sunrise that is really targeted toward girls. There's no U.S. license for the series yet, but if fans like it enough and are vocal about it, it may get a U.S. release, so Ozaki asked fans to please support it.
And finally, Funimation managed to restore some sanity to the usual industry panel Q&A by setting a ground rule of "don't ask about if a series is licensed or if a series would get a sequel".

There's some more stuff in each of the panel writeups, but I didn't want to copy/paste everything.

Attack on Titan Episode 8 – Hearing the Heartbeat - The Battle for Trost (4)
tumblr_mndurkzkuu1qbxqfpo1_500.png

For the second main character, Jean is pretty amazing. I think the course of this arc has really worked well for him, developing him and making him rather relatable for us and what not. The one that was talking with him and getting him to realize his own strength and weaknesses and also to inspire some confidence in him was a rather effective character in helping round him out for me. I wish he was named as I do want him to also stick around. I think Jean is a mighty fine leader and one that I and others in the anime ought to back and support.

The animation or rather lack thereof was rather baffling. Why do several picture dramas at this episode eight and have full conversations of just panning a still image of characters on some scene when we still dont really know the full cast or can put voices to a face. Even worse there were also peripheral cast members there who are unnamed. Additionally, is it really that difficult to actually animate characters on steps, or etc? And on animation and music, at the 12min mark was another song that sounded like it was taken right out of Guilty Crown.

I was confused on the ending, or rather linking the episode title to what was shown. Does Eren not have a heartbeat or something? Mikasa was there and panicked, but then Armin grabbed his arm but wouldn't he have reacted different if there was no heartbeat? Whatever the reason, Im just glad Eren is finally back to us and completely healed, great looking leg/foot there and hopefully no more scenes of watching that arm fly off. Am hopeful that Rivaille will save Eren from whatever the higher ups may have him go through or something assuming that is why he was in the one brief clip. Though it seems odd that the folks would do that, it doesnt seem like its an ability he could actually even use, I just cant imagine him having to be swallowed or engulfed by some Titan whenever he would want to fight with that powerup. Too risky/painful

Colour me shocked.

Imagine a shocking pink version of Jexhius' avatar. Imagine it because I'm too damn lazy to make it.

Sorry, it does.

It doesn't suck.

That is a lie.

Looks cool, huh? It's awful. ED is nice.

I actually enjoyed bits and pieces of Un-Go. Terribly implausible things be damned I LIKE a world with dresses featuring articulating action, tragic wartime idols, mad scientists creating pedololibots, and bootleg vocaloids. It's also nice that there aren't any filler episodes. Everything was in service of coming together for the ending, that terribly ridiculous ending, but at least it made things feel unified. Also I just loved that prison arc because I'm a sucker for descents into madness and all that gaslighting made it all the sweeter. Yes the main character is terribly bland with an obnoxious sidekick and the way technology is shown in the show will make your eyes do barrel rolls but I still feel the good outweighs the bad. Ugh, it feels REALLY weird to agree with DTL.

Normally, I love dubs, but this time I have to agree. Yukki and Yuno feel too low pitched, and I'm not sure Yuno really has the emotion behind her voice that was evident in the Japanese dub.

I found Yukki's high pitched voice annoying so it's already an improvement IMO. I'll reserve judgement on how intense Yuno will sound for when they show a dub of Yuno at her most Yandere. Also while I'm on a roll with unpopular opinions...

I really dislike Tsuritama and Haru's voice and obnoxious personality are a huge part of why I do.

Oh god. I need a good laughing gif. someone? anyone?

I've always been a fan of this one.

Narag

I was confused on the ending, or rather linking the episode title to what was shown. Does Eren not have a heartbeat or something? Mikasa was there and panicked, but then Armin grabbed his arm but wouldn't he have reacted different if there was no heartbeat? Whatever the reason, Im just glad Eren is finally back to us and completely healed, great looking leg/foot there and hopefully no more scenes of watching that arm fly off. Am hopeful that Rivaille will save Eren from whatever the higher ups may have him go through or something assuming that is why he was in the one brief clip. Though it seems odd that the folks would do that, it doesnt seem like its an ability he could actually even use, I just cant imagine him having to be swallowed or engulfed by some Titan whenever he would want to fight with that powerup. Too risky/painful

Think the heartbeat was supposed to confirm to her that Eren was still alive is all. Erasing doubt and all that.

GAV0pc9.jpg

Dethroning the teacher as 2nd best girl

Oregairu 5

Good episode. Thought it was better than the previous ones.

Delinquent girl sure made good on her appearance after triumphing over the teacher, Hayato, and Yuki. Little sister was adorable and I'm glad she was given more screentime. Hikki was actually likeable and he looked nice when he dresses up properly. Yui and Yuki cleaned up nicely as well, though the maid outfits were still the best.

Wasn't a fan of trying to get the her to quit her job since she had a very good reason to keep it. But at least she and her brother seemed content after having that talk with everyone. Ending was great though, hope they don't resolve it all next episode but I know that's pretty unlikely.

Heartcatch Precure - 3

Okay, the show can split off into two directions at this point.

1. The show stays as a "Monster and Lesson of the week" kind of show and basically each episode is a life lesson of some sort while a dark force works in the background to prepare for the finale.

2. The show has multiple little story arcs with major plot events.

Sadly given the structure of this, the first one is most likely to be true, but I'll wait and see.

Basically the only thing that happened in this episode was Erika becoming a Precure, defeating the monster, only for our villain to say: "Until next time Batman!" and leave.

Yuru Yuri: 01

This is going to be fun!

Yeessss

Heartcatch Precure - 3

Okay, the show can split off into two directions at this point.

1. The show stays as a "Monster and Lesson of the week" kind of show and basically each episode is a life lesson of some sort while a dark force works in the background to prepare for the finale.

2. The show has multiple little story arcs with major plot events.

Sadly given the structure of this, the first one is most likely to be true, but I'll wait and see.

Basically the only thing that happened in this episode was Erika becoming a Precure, defeating the monster, only for our villain to say: "Until next time Batman!" and leave.

I think its more of both actually.

Reading over some of ANN's full panel reports for Anime Boston, and here's a couple extra details/amusing things I noticed.

There's some more stuff in each of the panel writeups, but I didn't want to copy/paste everything.

Ozaki then launched into a Q&A. Many fans asked about future seasons of popular anime such as Big O and Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, and Ozaki said he could not comment on any future seasons at this time,

:(

Two of the sequels I wanted wont be coming this year I guess (SAO2/Horizon 3 :( ) well unless he surprises us and has it for fall or winter?

tumblr_mndurkzkuu1qbxqfpo1_500.png

For the second main character, Jean is pretty amazing. I think the course of this arc has really worked well for him, developing him and making him rather relatable for us and what not. The one that was talking with him and getting him to realize his own strength and weaknesses and also to inspire some confidence in him was a rather effective character in helping round him out for me. I wish he was named as I do want him to also stick around. I think Jean is a mighty fine leader and one that I and others in the anime ought to back and support.

He does have a name. It's Marco. He was one of the top 10 students in training.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

And additionally from the SAO dub premier:

From the Sentai Filmworks panel:

From the Sunrise panel:

And finally, Funimation managed to restore some sanity to the usual industry panel Q&A by setting a ground rule of "don't ask about if a series is licensed or if a series would get a sequel".

I guess we won't see SAO for awhile...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Also, a show being episodic or even formulaic isn't a downside when the show is able to succeed at being entertaining in those conditions. Good magical girl shows are able to mix up the structure and provide antics that make for entertaining episodes even without overall plot progression in those episodes.

That was really my main problem with Heartcatch's first half. It takes a LONG time before it loosens up enough to do this well.

Mature

When asked who their favorite character was in Sword Art Online, Kashiwada said his is Asuna, because he would like to be controlled by her. Ito said Kirito, because he is the main character, and as a director working intimately with the product, he kind of has to fall in love with the main character. As a joke, Ito added that his number one regret about the series is that he doesn't have a real-life Asuna in his life.
This makes a lot of sense.

When asked how they react to people who complain that the series is similar to .hack//SIGN, Ito said that he has heard that some fans think there are similarities, but he doesn't pay attention to that. He pretended the series did not exist when working on Sword Art Online.
Whatever helps you sleep, I guess. If I was wholesale ripping off another series with an identical premise, I'd do my best to pretend it didn't exist too. Isn't this really disingenuous? A medium of entertainment that's not especially big and you're trying to make a title that belongs in the sub-genre that's owned by literally one franchise and you're not going to examine it to make sure you're not just retreading territory? It just seems a little disrespectful.

Thanks for the highlights, Arti.

Attack on Titan Episode 9

Great motion comic episode. Music was great as always, and they managed to make
The lift scene super tense as well. Poor moe Titan though :(

The reunion of Eren and Mikasa was great to finally see too. Really well done.

Detective Conan 188:
I've finally reached the Desperate Revival. I had to wade through a lot of AO episodes, and then wound up not having a lot of time, but it's finally here. Of course, this is a monumental arc of the series, despite starting out rather innocently. I love seeing how everything falls to hell as
Conan gets shot. It's a great chance to realize the mortality of the character and not see him as the perfect hero who always gets out of things.
It also adds urgency to the Detective Boys, and allows the story to play off their biggest strength as characters, which is when you have these kids getting caught up in things way over the head and in mortal peril. So much better than stupid AO episodes that have them looking at receipts or chasing around birds. The use of the show's excellent incidental music was very good here, particularly the multiple uses of the single best piece of music in the show.

CorvoSol

This makes a lot of sense.

Whatever helps you sleep, I guess. If I was wholesale ripping off another series with an identical premise, I'd do my best to pretend it didn't exist too. Isn't this really disingenuous? A medium of entertainment that's not especially big and you're trying to make a title that belongs in the sub-genre that's owned by literally one franchise and you're not going to examine it to make sure you're not just retreading territory? It just seems a little disrespectful.

Thanks for the highlights, Arti.

Totally how it went down for the guys who made Rah Xephon, too, I bet.

Slayers 22

This episode has the party fight a Monster (not monster) named Tiiba, who is basically a giant chicken. Even after he unveils his true form. Then the gang comes across Rezo's legacy: a manuscript of the Claire Bible! Which all apparently fits onto one convenient stone tablet.

Ten bucks says it isn't gonna help Zel cure himself.

Detective Conan 188:
I've finally reached the Desperate Revival. I had to wade through a lot of AO episodes, and then wound up not having a lot of time, but it's finally here. Of course, this is a monumental arc of the series, despite starting out rather innocently. I love seeing how everything falls to hell as
Conan gets shot. It's a great chance to realize the mortality of the character and not see him as the perfect hero who always gets out of things.
It also adds urgency to the Detective Boys, and allows the story to play off their biggest strength as characters, which is when you have these kids getting caught up in things way over the head and in mortal peril. So much better than stupid AO episodes that have them looking at receipts or chasing around birds. The use of the show's excellent incidental music was very good here, particularly the multiple uses of the single best piece of music in the show.

Eventually you just start to give up on AO episodes. I haven't watched one in so long. Also desperate revival is really good, gotta rewatch it soon.

Mature

Detective Conan 188:
Such a good arc.

I'm always surprised on how well these moments are handled. Especially when they involve Gin or the BO. Oh and, if you can answer a question for me when it comes to light: I never can remember how Ran knows that her blood type is the same as Conan's. Would like to know the answer to that...

Eventually you just start to give up on AO episodes. I haven't watched one in so long. Also desperate revival is really good, gotta rewatch it soon.
I've watched every AO. :eek:

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was looking forward to the bitter tears from this Oreimo episode ever since I read the LN spoilers. I am not disappointed.
It took sister lovin' to get you back!

---

Random notes:
Space Bros 59 was great, if only because they showed a lot of restraint during the first half of the episode. I think it's the first time where I just noticed the fact that a show can work with
no music
, especially considering how busy it gets in the second half.

Saki Side A finally ended, setting up the next part of the Saki Mahjong Initiative. If only Shane Black could direct a Saki movie. lol

Hentai Prince has become pretty banal after the last stupid revelation a few weeks ago. Ah well.

Attack on Titan's twist was... yeah. I think I need to mull on that for a while, but at the very least the war cliches seem to be over.

I'm kind of crazy about not skipping over episodes or anything, even in long running series like Conan or One Piece or whatever. And every so often there are some AO episodes that are actually good, so I feel like I have to watch just to be sure.

There's some weird part of me that feels like I'm cheating if I start skipping episodes.

Such a good arc.

Yeah, it's one of those arcs that I've always remembered, but the details for some of the events were rather blurry (and so far, the anime version is handling things well).

cajunator

Banned
Imagine a shocking pink version of Jexhius' avatar. Imagine it because I'm too damn lazy to make it.
I actually enjoyed bits and pieces of Un-Go. Terribly implausible things be damned I LIKE a world with dresses featuring articulating action, tragic wartime idols, mad scientists creating pedololibots, and bootleg vocaloids. It's also nice that there aren't any filler episodes. Everything was in service of coming together for the ending, that terribly ridiculous ending, but at least it made things feel unified. Also I just loved that prison arc because I'm a sucker for descents into madness and all that gaslighting made it all the sweeter. Yes the main character is terribly bland with an obnoxious sidekick and the way technology is shown in the show will make your eyes do barrel rolls but I still feel the good outweighs the bad. Ugh, it feels REALLY weird to agree with DTL.

I found Yukki's high pitched voice annoying so it's already an improvement IMO. I'll reserve judgement on how intense Yuno will sound for when they show a dub of Yuno at her most Yandere. Also while I'm on a roll with unpopular opinions...

I really dislike Tsuritama and Haru's voice and obnoxious personality are a huge part of why I do.

I've always been a fan of this one.

Nichijou gifs are always welcomed!!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Muromi 8

Gotta love those individual frame gag inserts!
No Disney-like porn scene unfortunately!

From that Sentai panel:
Q: I notice that your DVD releases are often Japanese-language only. How are your dubs assigned?
A: If we think the show will sell enough to support a blu-ray release and dub, we'll do it. If it's a small title, it will be DVD only. CLANNAD was a special case-- other markets outside of the US really wanted a dub, so we shared the costs for it, and it sold really well everywhere.
Wow, there is actually some logic over there. Although I kind of wish someone would have asked why something gets the premium treatment in terms of getting OSTs and commentaries and whatnot and why some shows are just barebones. It's not like Crosse was going to be a huge hit anyhow.

Such a good arc.

I'm always surprised on how well these moments are handled. Especially when they involve Gin or the BO. Oh and, if you can answer a question for me when it comes to light: I never can remember how Ran knows that her blood type is the same as Conan's. Would like to know the answer to that...

I've watched every AO. :eek:

That's because your crazy :)

I'm kind of crazy about not skipping over episodes or anything, even in long running series like Conan or One Piece or whatever. And every so often there are some AO episodes that are actually good, so I feel like I have to watch just to be sure.

There's some weird part of me that feels like I'm cheating if I start skipping episodes.

Yeah, it's one of those arcs that I've always remembered, but the details for some of the events were rather blurry (and so far, the anime version is handling things well).

The only ones I watch usually are the multipart episodes. The single ones I haven't watched since the episodes got into the 400s or so. Also I can't stand the junior detective AO episodes. They're usually awful.

Jintor

Polar Bear Cafe

Holy crap Shirokuma-kun, your
completely fictitous
origin story is amazing

Also the editor being a shoebill or hornbill or whatever it is is amazing. I love the completely casual way it mixes absurdity in with a beautiful slice of life. And the music is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom