• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First ten minutes of Heartcatch Precure! the Movie

The first 10 minutes were much better than the entirety of Fresh Precure's movie. Maybe even GoGo's movie, which was a sexual parasite that sucked the romance and creepiness of that series, but amplified it to rather disturbing levels for what amounts to a movie for children. It also helps that it didn't spend the first few minutes wasting its time shouting "HEY you little shits, whip out your plot device merchandise!".

Tsubomi was adorable within these few minutes. It helps that she's majorly different from the usual main lead personality. These 10 minutes felt like it lasted longer, but it makes sense that the movie would be at least as good as the series.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

The first 10 minutes were much better than the entirety of Fresh Precure's movie. Maybe even GoGo's movie, which was a sexual parasite that sucked the romance and creepiness of that series, but amplified it to rather disturbing levels for what amounts to a movie for children. It also helps that it didn't spend the first few minutes wasting its time shouting "HEY you little shits, whip out your plot device merchandise!".

Tsubomi was adorable within these few minutes. It helps that she's majorly different from the usual main lead personality. These 10 minutes felt like it lasted longer, but it makes sense that the movie would be at least as good as the series.
The movie is Jexhius approved, so you know it's good stuff.

Articalys

Lol, complete with news about season two, it seems. I heard the IS novels weren't that popular until the anime came out, so I wonder how well it'll spread the news.
Well, the video that kayos posted much earlier today actually came from a DVD or something that was bundled with the volume, for one thing, so that's one way to encourage people to buy, I suppose.

Lain

Gargantia 1-3

These 3 episodes were surprisingly entertaining. I mostly enjoyed 2 after Amy
asks Ledo for help and he went and vaporized all the pirates and destroyed their boats, like a motherfucking champ.
There was a bit of dissonance with them ending up
not being happy about that and Not-Yoko telling Ledo that killing humans is taboo. It was especially funny because of the situation Not-Yoko and her friend were in before Ledo vaporized the harassing pirates.
The end of episode 3 felt good, though Ledo is
softening up too much to get on the good side of these weaklings
and the end picture was pretty great.

Quasar

Picked up the complete Spice & Wolf collection on BluRay (pretty much my alltime fave anime). So beyond using streaming services I'm now also buying a few bits of anime on disc.

Watching episode one, it has got me wondering just what sources Funimation had available for the transfer. Its pretty blurry, which I never noticed on streams (no surprise there). And its not like its really old (2008 vintage).

Something else I'm wondering about. Did the separate season collections have any extras?

Articalys

12I7Ge4.png

http://www.kyotoanimation.co.jp/countdown/

The hour of judgement approaches.

Jex

You know, the one good thing to come about as a result of Evangelion 3.33 being a crappy film is that it can finally put to rest the argument, that's been peddled around by some, that if you've never watched anything Evangelion related you should start with the Rebuild movies. I mean, I don't think that was ever a particularly convincing argument in that the only reason for following it's tenants was that the films were shorter than the show and therefore easier to watch, but now the whole film series has been revealed to a putrid pile of faeces even that reason can be safely ignored.

zeroshiki

^^^^^ キタ━(゚∀゚)━! キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━!! キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!

Will this be streamed? Please say yes.

EDIT:
GODDAMIT NICO DOUGA -_- Could these people start using youtube please?

Articalys

Also, I missed it earlier, but the seventh and final pilot PV for pachinko game Prism Nana is now on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aN30-umH4E

If you'll recall, they posted the sixth one last month, but it was rapidly removed due to complaints about lolis in swimsuits or something.

There's a silhouette
Well, yeah, but that hasn't changed since the teaser site first went up and there was much speculation about it. I was just reminding people that it's almost time.

EDIT:

wwwwwwww

JCG said:
It's apparently worse if you actually liked 2.22, which I recall enjoying, but if you didn't then I still doubt you'll get anything out of this...well, beyond living the full Eva experience.
People liked 2.22? Well, I'm sure some people did anyway. I definitely did not.

How could anyone not like Yuyushiki
Two idiots acting like brain-dead fools isn't any fun to watch.

So much Moel screens and I just run out on my 300 picture limit on my Sora no Woto album. :(
Nice epilogue sort of episode.
Nice epilogue sort of episode. We finally get some geography of where Helvetia actually is and what lies beyond Roma. Buy the humans before really did fuck thins good to turn the entire of Eurasia into a dessert, I wanted to mention this on a previous impression post but I kept forgetting but the fact that Helvetia seems to be some pseudo Switzerland, Roma speaks fake German but the old world setting seems awfully Japanese is rather confusing, no wonder they have like 8 million gods in their culture, it's probably a mess of the remnants of the old world. Think happy science in a post apocalypse setting! Why is the dessert expanding anyway? Also Rio should just get Moel to build her a jet or something.
First, for location, the map makes it clear that the series takes place in what is now Japan (and maybe China too). Everything else about the setting... uh, well, that just is. Accept it or not.

Second, SnW doesn't have real yuri, and I'm fine with that. It's great the way it is.

Beyond that, the desert is expanding because the world is in really bad shape and getting worse. As ep. 13 suggests, it's unclear if humanity will ultimately survive this or not... the seas are already mostly dead, after all, and a lot of land is barren as well.

And that's where the ending comes in, Rio has heard of a place which is recovering, supposedly, so that is where Kanata and her are going at the end, as Kanata thinks about what her own dream is.

And that is also where Firehawk12 and me disagree about this show -- we both loved it, but I think that
the ending leaves some hope for humanity and the future, while all he can see is YKK and the end of people and stuff.
He's still wrong!

So much :SDBurton too, potentially.
Season 2 where? This actually doesn't need it so no thanks.
No way! I want to see Kanata and Rio's adventures
in search of Rio's dream...

ZachDeKoromaru said:
That's all true, isn't it... and it is really weird. The show is really amazing though, regardless if location-wise it makes no sense. It's a completely weird mishmash.

Theonik said:
That sounds about right. Except:
to be fair, parts of Switzerland DO speak French.
True, but even so, that image does a good job of showing how silly that element of the series is. :)
Edit:
The Roman empire is probably the weirdest name-wise though I suppose my cultural mishmash with remnants of history would explain that too.
Edit2:
And I can still for the life of me cannot understand why they'd have WWII era German equipment.
For Edit2, because panzers. (As for Edit1, you said it yourself.)

OceanBlue

I'm kinda excited even though I expect it to be underwhelming, lol.

EDIT:

wwwwwwww

Edit: LOL. Chet, you not only beat me to it, we have the same number of w's.

Shergal

Best Precure thing ever.

zeroshiki

Despite what western anime fans think, Youtube is pretty big in Japan.

Also, Youtube doesn't suffer from beyond shitty early 2000's web technology like Nico.

Heartcatch Precure! the Movie midway point

Because why not.

I enjoy the developments so far with Olivier, along with his interactions with everyone else. Tsubomi was... rather attached to him, and for once she's right, Olivier is in fact a boy. Tsubomi's attributes are contagious though.

His interactions with Erika made me like Erika more, but she's not one of the best Precures for nothing. Each character talking to him is like taking hammer to try to break down his wall of social awkwardness.
Yuri shows that she can be rather calm but demanding with just a single sentence. Just like with the schoolkids.

OceanBlue

Also, Youtube doesn't suffer from beyond shitty early 2000's web technology like Nico.

Lol, it's not that I think Youtube isn't used in Japan because of Nico Nico Douga or anything. I just have irrational concept for their streaming service.

It's either FMP or the already announced Beyond the Boundary (lol at that name).

They should make FMP so everyone who didn't follow the novels or manga can learn how much of a horrendous, incredibly bleak trainwreck the story becomes pretty much immediately after the end of TSR.

... Or alternately, just ignore all that and make another season of Fumoffu, but that's not happening, I think. :(

(Note: S1 is actually my favorite part, but THAT's not coming back.)

Mature

I don't even know who you are anymore.
I'm sorry I let you down— I can't deny my feelings!

You know, the one good thing to come about as a result of Evangelion 3.33 being a crappy film is that it can finally put to rest the argument, that's been peddled around by some, that if you've never watched anything Evangelion related you should start with the Rebuild movies. I mean, I don't think that was ever a particularly convincing argument in that the only reason for following it's tenants was that the films were shorter than the show and therefore easier to watch, but now the whole film series has been revealed to a putrid pile of faeces even that reason can be safely ignored.
Thinking of the Rebuild series as a preface to anything Eva, or much less a replacment, is such a silly sentiment to me. Coming into it now, (as in recently having finished the TV series and now going through everything else) all that I see the Rebuild series as is a fun gaiden-esq work to be enjoyed after the fact.

Jarmel

Banned
Hataraku Maou-sama 4-

Another great episode. The show really is making the best of the actual material. The comedic timing is great and helps to defuse a lot of the more dramatic moments, making something that is less dramatized and surprisingly natural. The show makes pretty good use of the environment in the action sequences and helps to give a rather fantastical story, a grounded component to it. The next episode looks to be a lot of fun.

It's much bigger than it was a few years ago, sure, but I still meet more people who have no real clue what YT is than I do people who use it.

Nico Nico gets an immediate response from 99% of folks.

CorvoSol

Wait we're on a new OT? YOU PEOPLE GO THROUGH OTS LIKE, well, I don't know like the Poopsmith goes through rolls of toilet paper or something.

Cain't never subscribe to an animu thread cuz every two weeks we have a new one.

I clocked in at 1/3 the posts Cajun made! Woooooo!

zeroshiki

It's much bigger than it was a few years ago, sure, but I still meet more people who have no real clue what YT is than I do people who use it.

Nico Nico gets an immediate response from 99% of folks.

But the 90's HTML?

Also, outside of the hardcore 2ch/otaku crowd, I get the impression that Youtube is way more normal and mainstream than any other service. Nico for better or for worse has the otaku image attached to it.

Jex

[Valvrave] - 3

I was about to say this wasn't quite as dumb as last week's episode, but by the time it had reached it's conclusion it reached that point.

However, it was far less entertaining than last week's episode.

Averon

Valvrave 03

Oh boy.

This is the fastest a show has jumped the shark for me. I'm kinda impressed. L-Elf's stunts in this episode were too ridiculous to forgive even for this type of schlocky show. He's like Kira, Lelouch, and Suzaku rolled in one.

wonzo

Banned
SATAN ON JOB 4

hatarakumaou4.jpg

I feel pretty bad for shitting on White Fox so relentlessly and dismissing this when the first PV came out. Oh, how wrong I was. This episode really shows how good a job they're doing of fleshing out the minor side characters while using that development as a vehicle for helping the audience understand the main driving forces of the main characters when it matters most. Sooo good.

Also, I missed it earlier, but the seventh and final pilot PV for pachinko game Prism Nana is now on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aN30-umH4E

If you'll recall, they posted the sixth one last month, but it was rapidly removed due to complaints about lolis in swimsuits or something.
What could have been. :(

jgminto

Valvrave 3

This show is so, so dumb and I'm really enjoying it. L-Elf's antics this episode were so ridiculous and over the top I was just laughing as he
took out all those soldiers. How the hell did he survive that fall!?
The other students aren't particularly interesting but the conflict between L-Elf and the protag carries the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom