• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

I really don't know who to blame at this point. The anime producers or the mangaka or whomever is controlling the IP. It's just a mess.

You should have written a letter of concern!
Here rests karuta cards.

Then why not use her first tsundere role? It's still the most popular.

Nope.

tumblr_m1y4zwwbem1qzqu5uts.gif

Ior-squee~

wonzo

Banned
I really don't know who to blame at this point. The anime producers or the mangaka or whomever is controlling the IP. It's just a mess.
If this stuff's endemic in the manga then I'd still have to blame the anime producers for not doing what good adaptations do and fix up the weaknesses of the source material. Well, unless they've been doing just that and the manga is actually really shitty or something.

Doki Doki Precure 13

It's the battle of Ojou-samas. Oh and Regina appears.

Alice was the main character I guess, with Mana Sue being the secondary character. We see what happens when Alice gets angry.... She should do more.

Lets see how Rikka fares next week.

Lain

I want to like Chihayafuru, but...
WB2TUBJl.jpg

I swear, at this point they're just specifically trolling me.
6Ksldh6l.jpg

XDHipOel.jpg

Again, just because you point out your faults in your show doesn't mean that those faults should be excused. Meh.

Are those really faults though? I watch Chihayafuru to see Chihaya (and gang) play karuta and improve, not just to see the (non existent) romance between (non existent) couples.
To me the absence of romance and the abundance of karuta play are strong points for this show, not faults.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If this stuff's endemic in the manga then I'd still have to blame the anime producers for not doing what good adaptations do and fix up the weaknesses of the source material. Well, unless they've been doing just that and the manga is really shitty or something.
Well, I just wonder if the mangaka has it in some contract that they need to adapt every page of her book or something. lol
Because, barring the omake episodes each year, this has been a painfully straight adaptation of the manga. I just wonder if this clip episode was their way of trying to show their frustration at being forced to do a show with zero character development or something. But you're right, I shouldn't feel too bad for them. :p

Are those really faults though? I watch Chihayafuru to see Chihaya (and gang) play karuta and improve, not just to see the (non existent) romance between (non existent) couples.
To me the absence of romance and the abundance of karuta play are strong points for this show, not faults.
It's not that I want romance in particular. But given that they set up the new girl as someone who wants to "get" Taichi and the whole love triangle that started the entire show in the first place, it's really the first thing that comes to mind.

What I'd like are human beings with human concerns that move beyond slapping cards around or training to slap cards around. I'm not saying I need to see a story about a coach in small town Japan telling his students to have clear eyes and full hearts (Ultimadrago :p), but I am being genuine when I say that Saki has more meaningful character development that Chihayafuru, and Saki is SDBurton-bait.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I think it hurts the show when the characters don't have much of a life outside of karuta. The early stuff in season two actually was good about introducing more elements that pulled some of those emotions away from being entirely contained in the games, but that was only through introducing new characters who have kind of been pushed off to the side.

I'm not looking for heavy elements of romance, but I want to see these characters operating outside the very safe boundaries of matches. It bugs me more when the show is entirely focused on these team matches, where there should be more group dynamics but they kind of just end up not existing. The introspective approach to storytelling fits solo matches more, but I don't think we will see any more of those this season (or probably ever), which is actually pretty frustrating.

Branduil

Well I guess there had to be one person besides the manga creator who actually likes Karuta.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think it hurts the show when the characters don't have much of a life outside of karuta. The early stuff in season two actually was good about introducing more elements that pulled some of those emotions away from being entirely contained in the games, but that was only through introducing new characters who have kind of been pushed off to the side.

I'm not looking for heavy elements of romance, but I want to see these characters operating outside the very safe boundaries of matches. It bugs me more when the show is entirely focused on these team matches, where there should be more group dynamics but they kind of just end up not existing. The introspective approach to storytelling fits solo matches more, but I don't think we will see any more of those this season (or probably ever), which is actually pretty frustrating.

Honestly, even though I hate Taichi, I would have rather they ditched 5 episodes of what we had and spent that time showing Taichi struggling at various tournaments across Japan as he tries to reach A rank.

Instead, that development is just relegated to a 1 minute flashback in the middle of a match. How is that remotely fulfilling?

wonzo

Banned
The problem with Chihayafuru is that it actually can make the Karuta matches engaging thanks to great pacing, use of music, and interesting character development (major and minor characters) driven by introspection during each the games. The problem is it's pretty much found itself dragging shit out again like the later parts of the first season did. It's to the point where all tension and excitement has been replaced with side-characters (literally characters sitting on the sidelines not playing at all) repeatedly stating the obvious over and over again for no fucking reason whatsoever as if it's somehow interesting in any way.

e: And I honestly couldn't care less about the romance as it's pretty much devolved to two spineless wimps pining over the most oblivious girl on the planet. At this stage the dynamic between Kana & Desktomu (and the queen & snowmaru) is far more interesting.

Well, I just wonder if the mangaka has it in some contract that they need to adapt every page of her book or something. lol
Because, barring the omake episodes each year, this has been a painfully straight adaptation of the manga. I just wonder if this clip episode was their way of trying to show their frustration at being forced to do a show with zero character development or something. But you're right, I shouldn't feel too bad for them. :p
Sounds like a really dumb contract so you're probably right. :(

If only more adaptations followed the Polar Bear's Cafe way of almost completely disregarding the manga by picking and choosing the best things from it and just going crazy with it.

Articalys

So did anyone see the Steins;Gate movie yet?
Jubern posted a brief neutral impression in the last thread:
I'm just coming out of a showing of the Steins;Gate movie.

I obviously won't spoil it for those of you waiting for the home release, but I'll just say that while it was alright, it felt terribly unnecessary to me. At least we get see those characters one more time, I guess!

I'd upload a pic of that nice poster signed by the staff I saw at the theater but I'm on my iPhone and I have no effing clue how lel

survivor

Banned
Based on the few episodes I watched of the first season of Chihayafuru, the anime would be much better if all the karuta matches were 1 min long or were completely skipped. They are boring to watch and don't offer any interesting character developments.

Are you a true sakugabro? (´・ω・`)
I've seen most of it ... and it was great fun.

Speaking of voice actresses, Crunchyroll grabbed another Biglobe poll for an article, this time on what female seiyuu you would most want to get verbally abused by. Teh Rie took the number one spot, as expected, but Saori Hayami was a very close second, with Sawashiro not far behind in third. No idea how KanaHana got to fourth.

Don't they sell CDs for this kind of stuff? Well, I guess it's not the most unusual fetish...

I had a Rie overdose after zero no tsukaima, toradora, shakugan no shana & hayate no gotoku ...After wards i went to change my idea by playing a tales of game but this was symphonia 2 ...

So i had a serious overdose preventing me from enjoying "Rie" ..... i can only find her "average " even if i like the character she voices ( or not ) i just can't get into it. Something must be wrong with me.

cajunator

Banned
Cant really get behind the Iori love. Rie's voice is more annoying to me than cute. I think I was spoiled by the goddess Halko Momoi and any other high pitched squeeing voice is just a pale imitation of her perfection.

Narag

Gargantia 4

What a lovely little episode. I wish the first episode's technobabble had been handled with more grace and that the Team Rocket moment hadn't happened as they're the only two complaints I have in whats otherwise been a surprise of a show.

Lain

I'm saying that karuta is boring.

I find real karuta boring too, but Chihayafuru karuta is something that I find exciting and fun to watch.
Just like watching Mahjong or Shogi would put me to sleep, but I couldn't get tired of Saki or March comes in like a Lion, since they paint it in a way to make the whole thing exciting to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom