• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

[Beautiful Dreamer]
beautifuldreamer4q5oia.jpg
bdreamer10wnuj4.jpg

bdreamer11atu3l.jpg
bdreamer12zeurq.jpg

beautifuldreamer7g1r3z.jpg
bdreamer15nsul6.jpg

bdreamer26sap8v.jpg
beautifuldreaminga4u7a.jpg

beautifuldreamer19f2quw.jpg
beautifuldreamer215gpen.jpg

bdreamer44bhqns.jpg
bdreamer45i4p1o.jpg

bdreamer46scqiv.jpg
bdreamer47skpbr.jpg

Why did I watch 6 episodes of Rolling Girls before dropping it? I wasn't even going to watch it and a friend convinced me to pick it up with them. Should have trusted my gut on this one.

It's a shame too. There's definitely potential but it's just a mess of disjointed story telling and paper thin protagonists.

Jacob

Oh MY GOD

There's going to be a series where Yuki Nagato wins?

acb.jpg

I don't even mind that it's not KyoAni, I've wanted to see more of the Haruhi alternate universe since I first saw Disappearance. Have only a little bit of the manga but my fingers are crossed.

PK Gaming

Good Luck Girl (aka Binbougami ga) 1-13

Not going to beat around the bush, Good Luck Girl was a great comedy anime. I mean, it was directed by Yoichi Fujita (the guy who directed Gintama) so right off the bat you know you're in for something fun, but man, I didn't think it would be this good. It's essentially about a girl who's been blessed with an inordinate amount good fortune (being lucky is like her superpower), so much so that she ends becoming haunted by a poverty God. Said God points out that her good fortune was a mistake, and that she intends to "collect" it, but the protagonist refuses to give any of it up. (I mean, who would). As the cover implies, Good Luck Girl is primarily about the conflict between the main protagonist and the Poverty God. The premise is pretty basic, but they do so much with it. The main characters are stellar. This is the kind of show lives and dies on its protagonists and they manage be amazing throughout.The jokes are great, and the anime is filled to the brim with hilarious, overt anime references. The supporting cast was also surprisingly strong. Despite introducing a whole bunch of them, the show never really forgets about any of them, which I appreciated.

Good Luck Girl would have been decent anime by virtue of it's comedy alone, but there was a surprising emotion to it. No, really. The anime manages to set itself apart from your standard comedy anime by actually being somewhat poignant. The anime makes no secret of its intentions— the protagonist is lucky, but she's secretly miserable. All of that good fortune made her lucky, but she can barely function as a human being. So when the Poverty God threatens the only good thing she has in her life, she's pretty much forced to change as a person. To that the end, in addition to be comedic, Good Luck is also about the protagonist's growth as a person, and her relationship with people around her.

Good Luck Girl does a fantastic job balancing comedy with drama. I loved the comedy, but it was also pretty gratifying seeing the protagonist steadily become a better person. If you're looking for an anime with tons of comedy, great characters, a plethora of anime references and a surprising amount of heart, then you should definitely give Good Luck Girl a watch.

PS: For those who watched the anime, who was your favorite character and why was it

wonzo

Banned
haruhi isnt an omnipotent god in the yuki spinoff so its automatically better

doesnt make boobsocks on tshirts any less dumb but w/e

rrvv

The freaking butcher wouldn't have
Fake killed the same character ten billion times. When the Butcher is on deck, people DIE. And they don't freaking come back.

Funny that is only second episode where person from the good guys actually dead

well they seem transfer their budget from Haruhi to yuki.

gotta get the priority

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I need to watch urusei yatsura to get my dose of romance and slice of life

blood-c the last dark is so bad i'm screeching

i loved the original blood even though a few plot points were questionable in terms of integrity of series (how I remember watching it as a kid on adult swim) and watched blood-c cause it was probably something close to the first one. the entire season was a big fuck you to every viewer, it was so bad how they tried working backwards and it didnt even make any sense on how it ended. horrible show.

wtf, why aren't KyoAnus animating?

a lifting and anime bro? mah man
L8w3dJx.png

Go_Ly_Dow

I need to watch urusei yatsura to get my dose of romance and slice of life

i loved the original blood even though a few plot points were questionable in terms of integrity of series (how I remember watching it as a kid on adult swim) and watched blood-c cause it was probably something close to the first one. the entire season was a big fuck you to every viewer, it was so bad how they tried working backwards and it didnt even make any sense on how it ended. horrible show.

a lifting and anime bro? mah man
L8w3dJx.png

I'll lift KyoAnus in to a volcano if they don't sort their shit out! :(

Jex

haruhi isnt an omnipotent god in the yuki spinoff so its automatically better

doesnt make boobsocks on tshirts any less dumb but w/e

If she doesn't have superpowers what's stopping people punching her in the face?

wtf, why aren't KyoAnus animating?

Maybe because they've got better material to animate than a spinoff Kadokawa's promoting the manga for since Tanigawa can't write any novels now.

And yes, the first Euphonium novel is better than the Yuki-chan manga, having read both. Granted, most opinions here tend to differ from mine, but I doubt people will differ on this one.

If you want a long answer regarding the state of Kyoto Animation now, I wrote a post detailing how they've evolved from a group of painters to a studio that's acquiring content and leading committees unlike other studios like Bones and IG. In short, they've got a new business model that increased their profits quite a lot over the past two years since they've stopped being an mere animation studio. There's no reason to go back to doing what Kadokawa/TBS want them to do (though there are connections still present for the pervert Gatou to get his new stuff animated).

Go_Ly_Dow

Maybe because they've got better material to animate than a spinoff Kadokawa's promoting the manga for since Tanigawa can't write any novels now.

And yes, the first Euphonium novel is better than the Yuki-chan manga, having read both. Granted, most opinions here tend to differ from mine, but I doubt people will differ on this one.

If you want a long answer regarding the state of Kyoto Animation now, I wrote a post detailing how they've evolved from a group of painters to a studio that's acquiring content and leading committees unlike other studios like Bones and IG. In short, they've got a new business model that increased their profits quite a lot over the past two years since they've stopped being an mere animation studio. There's no reason to go back to doing what Kadokawa/TBS want them to do (though there are connections still present for the pervert Gatou to get his new stuff animated).

Cheers. Will have a read!

what have they animated before or are doing right now? the digimon anime? im pretty hyped for that.

They're doing the Hibike! Euphonium show.

And before that they've done FMP Fumoffu and S2, Kanon 2006, Clannad, Haruhi, Lucky Star, K-On, Nichijou, Hyouka, Free and some other shows.

Yatterman Night 12 END

That was a pretty good finale. I feel like the show lost some steam in the middle but got it back with this and the last episode. Ending was sort of abrupt and a little forced but it doesn't really bother me a lot, and the episode looked kind of unfinished (Tonzra's fight) despite looking great a whole lot of the time? It's weird.

I like how they played both the original OP and Yatterman Night's OP plus callbacks to the OP.

They're doing the Hibike! Euphonium show.

And before that they've done FMP Fumoffu and S2, Kanon 2006, Clannad, Haruhi, Lucky Star, K-On, Nichijou, Hyouka, Free and some other shows.

Produced for Kadokawa:
Full Metal Panic!? Fumoffu (Also for Fuji)
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid (also for WOWOW)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (2006/2009 editions)
Lucky Star (+OVA)
The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya/Nyoron Churuya-san (ONAs)
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
Nichijou
Hyouka

Produced for TBS:
AIR
Kanon
Clannad/After Story
K-On!/K-On!!/K-On! The Movie
Amagi Brilliant Park (also produced w/Kadokawa)

Self-Produced:
Munto/The World Reflected in the Eye of the Girl Who Looked at the Sky/The War Between the Celestials and the Akito tribe (produced with Kadokawa for latter two)
Love, Chunibyo, and Other Delusions
Tamako Market
Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club
Beyond the Boundary
Sound! Euphonium (not self-published/created IP; acquired rights from Takarajimasha)

Eureka Seven - 9

About some time for some sweet back-story. Took almost too long to be honest...9 episodes to really get a clue who the hell the people from this crew really are and come from (still only partially answered of course).

Gotta say Renton's speech was a bit jarring. It's not unbelievable but Renton so far never felt like a very articulate and wise guy, so when he's having his great motivational speech towards Eureka it's a bit odd.

On the side: OP track seems somewhat average. I think I'm mostly gonna skip it from now on as it didn't latch onto me by now. It did remind me of s.th. else but I wasn't quite sure up to this point. Now I think it may be somewhat similar to the music that plays during the 'previews' at the end of the Evangelion Rebuild movies? Not sure.

ED is quite nice. Has a bit of a FMA:Bish feel and wouldn't be surprised if the singer covered some of those OPs/EDs too.

I'm just curious, where do you get all your info and knowledge from? Whenever you post it's always super informative.

cajunator

Banned
Didnt' expect to see the word bishie being used outside of a thread talking about waifu terms.

Last show I really saw it used was Saiunkoku monogatari.

Koufuku Graffiti END

You know at the beginning I certainly wasn't expecting this show to be as good or as touching as it ended up being. This was going to be the cooking show that kept me going until Soma next season. But I've got to hand it to SHAFT this is one of the best SoL shows I've seen in a long time. This last episode was amazingly touching with Ryou graduation ceremony and the discussion and memories brought up about her grandmother who has had such an impact on her life. Also the grandma's pose changing at every shot of her picture was a great touch and the scene of Ryou's grandmother letting go of her hand and walking away got my eyes a little misty.

This has been a great series and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a good SoL or even a good anime in general to watch.

Its Shaft at the absolute top of their game. So cute and heartwarming and delicious. Absolute joycake anime! Its not a popular opinion but I honestly feel they are one of the best studios when they give it their all.

You guys read for more FSN UBW?

Anyways, new pinups! https://yande.re/user/show/188377 I'm not sure how much lewd is allowed so I'll err on the side of caution and let you guys look em up. Or if it doesn't work, I just dumped them on tumblr and you can get someimage links there for pasting here and take the risk: http://animeslovenija.tumblr.com/ (I feel dirty like I'm promoting myself, ew).

Girls in business suits are hot as hell though. Threw in Shirobako as well, good shows. Oh well, can't not post Erina-sama (NSFWish one: https://yande.re/post/show/315977/shokugeki_no_soma)

Cross Ange ended, best bad show in a while (NSFW on, really lewd, mmm yuri: https://yande.re/post/show/315971)

Triage X and not-Kyoani out of interest for the new season:

Oregairu is a bit too lewd with the cleavage to post.... probably: https://yande.re/post/show/315969

All the cuties!

I'm just curious, where do you get all your info and knowledge from? Whenever you post it's always super informative.

It's an accumulation of a lot of different sources such as studying production committee members, getting information from some of the people who work on the business side of the industry, and even stuff like reports for investors. I wish I could point to this/that articles, but a lot of it is stuff I've read a couple years ago and have forgotten the exact location. A lot of the information is in Japanese, so nearly everyone ignores it or just goes to watch a show instead, but I find this stuff more interesting than a lot of shows.

The stuff Justin Sevakis writes for ANN is alright to start with. He has a very heavy R1-market bias, so keep that in mind while reading his stuff (the question he "answered" regarding contributions from NA companies compared to importing was hilariously dodgy to avoid people not buying NA discs and putting him out of work). Excluding anything regarding AnimeSols, Quarkboy (or Sam Pinnesky) is a good source. He felt there was a larger international market for older shows than what there was and thus Sols fell flat.

My interest started with investigating why another Haruhi season wasn't made, and the knowledge lept from there.

Yeah, the Yuki-chan manga is fluffy fluff-fluff. It's cute to watch Nagato blush for a couple chapters, but that's about it.

Hopefully Euphonium is good enough and the anime staff don't muck about too much to its detrement. I'm not asking for another Hyouka, but I would like something more like that than all of KyoAni's other LN adaptations.

Clov

I think Euphonium will be fine, personally. Seems to be KyoAni going back to what they do best. I might be a bit biased though, since the only KyoAni work I haven't enjoyed was Kyoukai no Kanata. I wasn't big on Amagi, but I didn't hate it or anything.

Maria 12 END

Well, that was a pretty good ending. I feel like I should like this show more then I did, it's kinda unique in a lot of ways and I feel it was underlooked this season.

But the question of REAL importance here is did Maria ever give Priapus a dick or is he just stuck like that forever now? Because I'm pretty sure she lost her virginity and magic at the end there.

cajunator

Banned
Dear god, what did they do to Haruhi? (and this is not how T-shirts work)

Yuki is adorable though!

Sentai has the NA rights I believe, so expect them about a year from now. (Not sure what region you're in)

Proof positive thatr Sentai loves us and wants us to be happy!

I like yuki yuna.. Many people were disapointed because they were expecting madoka ..but i'ml glad they didn't go that route totally. yuki yuna is his own thing. and that ending is much more bearable.

He seems ..angry somehow.

Indeed that happens and that confirm that caster taste in dresses is top tier

Yuuki Yuuna is legit good. It definitely fed off the Madoka hype but it did its own special thing and I appreciated it.

I hate everyone.
I hate you.
I hate me.
I hate Sunrise.
I hate Mecha.
I hate everything.

Awww. I love you Corvy kun! *squeezes

Dog days S3 - 12

A rather simple ending , with clear set-up for a next season , they don't even hide it

Still , i admit that 2 singers can't do much , when they don't have a common song to song , but still ...

Truth: "Lalalalalalalalalalala"

Lol ..
I guess there is next time when the 2 will meet again , next season , right , right ???

--------------------------------
Season 3 thoughts

Well this season 3 had one main good thing ..it was superbly animated... Such great animation overall ..most episodes were spotless.
There was also a good deal of backstory and fanservice ... the good kind as it focused of simple and goofy things.
The battles were fun to watch and most of the situations were intresting.. it was a trully a good season that focused on expanding the flognarde world rather than the characters. it can be a shame , but i'm fine either way.
I think it was a bold choice to do a season without war games , but i think they weren't sure where to go with the stakes. I guess that's the result of the hero party wiping every thread on the planet 100 years before.

Bring on season 4 , where shinku will finally start thinking about her love life, bring it season 4 with a winter themed season ! bring it , season 4 with more backstory on the old heroes, heck just give me more dog days..

VERDICT on season 3 : 8.7/10

Speaking of shows that bring joy to my life..

this season I think I'm going to watch the new Lupin, Ninja Slayer (I'll probably regret this) and Kekkai Sensen.
I'm not sure about the rest, should I give Ore Monogatari a try? Or any other series that could turn out to be good and I didn't mention.

nice, I read the manga a long time ago but I remember that it was pretty enjoyable.

Watch the UT ovas. they are hilarious!

Yeah, the Yuki-chan manga is fluffy fluff-fluff. It's cute to watch Nagato blush for a couple chapters, but that's about it.

Hopefully Euphonium is good enough and the anime staff don't muck about too much to its detrement. I'm not asking for another Hyouka, but I would like something more like that than all of KyoAni's other LN adaptations.

Having read what the first episode of Euphonium is like and knowing the rest of the novel, I'll say it's not exactly the best judge of where it's going. The first part of the novel is lighter than the rest. It's an actual novel (like the Kotenbu series) and Takeda is still growing as a writer. Chuunibyou/Kyoukai's novels weren't enough for a full 12 episode season, but Euphonium has that room to expand content and fill one. There's a lot of characters, which neither KA Esuma Bunko novel had, so there's no need to add them like those adaptations did.

The focus is definitely on music and their concert, but there's a lot of focus on the development of Kumiko and Reina's friendship as well. It's not fluffy like K-On! was; there's a lot of hard work that goes into performing here. Hazuki, who would be in the Yui position of having never played her instrument and acts as the person Takeda used to expand knowledge to, doesn't magically gain talent to play her instrument overnight. She practices a lot, but that doesn't mean she'll automatically get to perform in the concert. Kumiko and Reina have played since they were younger and have more talent in their instruments. There's also an issue that happened the year before in the band...

Takeda spoke with her friends who played in a band and KyoAni invited experienced musicians to better draw the instruments and performances. There's a lot of effort going into the series. That's why it irritates me to see it denigrated as "whaa, why no K-On! S3" or "Ugh, more moe K-On!" It's a better work than what they've adapted recently and I think people will be surprised.

ibyea

Banned
Having read what the first episode of Euphonium is like and knowing the rest of the novel, I'll say it's not exactly the best judge of where it's going. The first part of the novel is lighter than the rest. It's an actual novel (like the Kotenbu series) and Takeda is still growing as a writer. Chuunibyou/Kyoukai's novels weren't enough for a full 12 episode season, but Euphonium has that room to expand content and fill one. There's a lot of characters, which neither KA Esuma Bunko novel had, so there's no need to add them like those adaptations did.

The focus is definitely on music and their concert, but there's a lot of focus on the development of Kumiko and Reina's friendship as well. It's not fluffy like K-On! was; there's a lot of hard work that goes into performing here. Hazuki, who would be in the Yui position of having never played her instrument and acts as the person Takeda used to expand knowledge to, doesn't magically gain talent to play her instrument overnight. She practices a lot, but that doesn't mean she'll automatically get to perform in the concert. Kumiko and Reina have played since they were younger and have more talent in their instruments. There's also an issue that happened the year before in the band...

Takeda spoke with her friends who played in a band and KyoAni invited experienced musicians to better draw the instruments and performances. There's a lot of effort going into the series. That's why it irritates me to see it denigrated as "whaa, why no K-On! S3" or "Ugh, more moe K-On!" It's a better work than what they've adapted recently and I think people will be surprised.

Well then, I think you have convinced me to watch it. I don't feel 100% sure going into it but I believe you, and going into Shirobako despite my apprehension paid off, so hopefully this does the same.

After looking through this season's release list, these are the ones that I am going to check out:

- Digimon Adventure tri - April ??, 2015
- Yahari S2 - Apr 3, 2015
- Owari no Seraph - Apr 4, 2015
- Dungeon - Apr 4, 2015
- Shokugeki no Souma - Apr 4, 2015
- Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu - Apr 4, 2015
- Fate/stay night S2 - Apr 5, 2015
- Kekkai Sensen - Apr 5, 2015
- Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku - Apr 7, 2015
- Nisekoi S2 - Apr 10, 2015
- Grisaia S2 - Apr 19, 2015

Probably gonna drop some along the way but goddamn, tons to watch this season.

Narag

Hmm, think you just sold me on this.

The fuck, we seriously might not get Digimon Tri this season?

Well...if it has production and scheduling issues I suppose I'll be fine with a delay. But still that's rather unexpected.

Well, there's still no announced air date or network, which makes me suspicious of it actually being a spring show given how late in the day it is. The slow drip feed of information for Tri has been kind of odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom