• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dennou Coil - 13-14

EkqCLHs.jpg
This isn't the first time in the series that I've come off feeling confused about some of the particulars about the world and how it relates to what we know of the internet today. It highlights what I think is probably the most frustrating aspect of it thus far, that it doesn't really have any intention of explaining these particulars in any sort of detail, leading a person to construct their own internally consistent circumstances that these concepts must exist in. The metapets are just a total question mark to me, again I question why it is that deleting a pet is a bad thing in a world that should have the ability to make multiple backups of a pet's memory/AI. There's a strange concept of "permanence" in this show when it comes to digital objects that I'm having trouble reconciling.

You can't from what's been implied, just make multiple copies of a pet discontinued from sale and send them off to your friends, I can only imagine that the "space" in which these sort of things exist is equivalent of a closed off digital storefront and there's some sort of super strict DRM type thing in place to restrict the specific use of products. Because of how much of the world is tied into the digital space they can justify the destruction of digital objects on the basis that you've voided their terms of service ... or something. It's probably what you'd consider a nitpicky complaint because everything else about the show I've been thoroughly enjoying but it's just one of those nagging things that comes up for me everytime some quirk in the world's mechanics come up.

Anyway, 14 made up for a pretty cute setup for the first half recap sequence, and I loved the little nod to more "adult" themes with the video that was cut out. It reminds me of some of the more enlightened television kid shows that make jokes or references that nobody in the intended age group would catch on to but would appeal immediately to an older demographic / parents who are watching with their kids as well. And despite being mainly a recap episode the final scene in this one definitely seems to be setting up the final arc of the series, talking about the nature of the illegals and how they relate to the cyberspace around them. Looking forward to it!

Interesting premise there. Is there any relationship building or action/adventure built into it?

The middle and final arcs have some romance (more in the middle arc). There's a good amount of adventure throughout it all after the setting is established in the first couple of episodes.

Interesting premise there. Is there any relationship building or action/adventure built into it?

Yes (though perhaps not in an entirely expected direction, without spoiling anything I'll only say that its portrayal of relationships as a whole is ... refreshing within the medium) and absolutely yes to the action/adventure. It's a damn good show and fantastically executed Science Fiction, which I feel is a rare thing within the medium.

Cornbread78

The middle and final arcs have some romance (more in the middle arc). There's a good amount of adventure throughout it all after the setting is established in the first couple of episodes.

Yes (though perhaps not in an entirely expected direction, without spoiling anything I'll only say that its portrayal of relationships as a whole is ... refreshing within the medium) and absolutely yes to the action/adventure. It's a damn good show and fantastically executed Science Fiction, which I feel is a rare thing within the medium.

Ok, I'll have to add that one after Yona of shows to watch.

Is is Madoka dark and twisted though?

Yatterman Night end

Despite some weird direction, this was a visually pretty nice finale.

That being said, I can't help but be disappointed in the way things turned out. The concept was amazing to me, but things ended up not being subversive enough.
The Yattermen are the heroes once more. Not even in secret, the Doronbow couldn't deal the final blow.

I understand that it was kind of slowly reconstructing itself into a slightly darker iteration of the franchise, complete with reprised roles and whatnot, but it really does kind of make the role reversal that appealed to me so much in the first place feel like a waste. The show stopped being about the terrible trio at some point and nearly completely transformed into a coming of age story for Galina. Boyacky and Tonzura were given very little development and Doronjo got knocked out of the spotlight at points where it actually would have been interesting, acting as a motivator for who ended up being the true protagonist.

This is still a good series with solid talent behind it, but it could have been an incredible nostalgia-fueled, expectation-skirting ride in one of the most-underused reboot concepts out there.

Kancolle - 12

Kancolle went with a bang with a near 24 minute episode of naval fighting , showcasing pretty much everything they could, up to the point that one could argue it was too long ..but in fact it was not stop fanservice for the kancolle players and it felt right.

Overall the kancolle anime with those slightly changed rules and this total abuse of Cg suceeded in making sense of the kancolle verse on screen , while keeping the door open for all those doujin artist making a living during the year... every girl is the best girl , we all went with a bang and things are left TOTALLY open for a sequel.

They really played this one well , i really don't have regrets or things i seek to change , for seaosn 2, give me more kancolle , more girls , more naval battles..

Kantai%20Collection%20-%2004.jpg

Don't worry , i won't.

Season 2 will rock ..i just know ...

BURNING LOOOOOOOOVE

Where Madoka felt dark and hopeless, Shin Sekai Yori feels dark, but with hope through the main character. It's not sunshine and cookies, but it never feels as utterly hopeless as Madoka did. That's my perspective, but some may differ.

Cornbread78

Has one of the best kiss scenes in anime.

Fantastic series, both my rewatches were great. Really adventurous and mysterious.

Where Madoka felt dark and hopeless, Shin Sekai Yori feels dark, but with hope through the main character. It's not sunshine and cookies, but it never feels as utterly hopeless as Madoka did. That's my perspective, but some may differ.

Sounds good, I have my next two series mapped out now at least

Yona of the Dawn then From a New World

Also, got to see Cross Ange: #25;End on break and I must say it was a pretty good ending, although you can tell they tried wrapping up the story too quickly to just kill it. I think they could and should do a short film to really close out the series and introduce the
new world to everyone,
but hey, the ending was pretty good over all and was well grounded compared to much of the craziness scene previously in the season....

It's darker than Madoka, but not in the way that Madoka is. While Madoka is more of a teenage focused 'grim and gritty' sort of dark, From the New World is more dark in terms of the way it examines society. It's a thought provoking science fiction series of the sort that don't really get made very much anymore.

So it's dark, but it's not really twisted.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
What's the spoilers rule here guys?

The last impression I posted someone took offense to it, so I covered it up for now.

Please advise.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

The last impression I posted someone took offense to it, so I covered it up for now.

Please advise.

if it's revealing significant information, then spoiler tag it? It's not hard to use common sense. Gaf as a whole is way oversensitive to spoilers though, so don't go overboard.

Narag

Please advise.

Common sense really. Big reveals, twists, character deaths, and whatnot are usually tagged out of courtesy especially if it's currently or recently aired. You'll find some people will get themselves into a tizzy over anything plot related at all though. It's best to just ignore those crazies.

Heysoos

World Break: Aria of Curse for a Holy Swordsman 1-12

I cringed a little lot every single time the stupid "We are the saviors" chant came up.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
if it's revealing significant information, then spoiler tag it? It's not hard to use common sense. Gaf as a whole is way oversensitive to spoilers though, so don't go overboard.

Common sense really. Big reveals, twists, character deaths, and whatnot are usually tagged out of courtesy especially if it's currently or recently aired. You'll find some people will get themselves into a tizzy over anything plot related at all though. It's best to just ignore those crazies.

major plot points.

Gotcha thanks.

I'm mostly used to other threads I'm in where once it is out it's free for all or you make in bold what you're talking about and it's on the reader to skip past it if they want.

Good to know.

zulux21

parasyte last 3 episodes

As a whole I enjoyed the series, and I can't really complain about how it ended, but it was surprising that given how violent/tense the series was as a whole that the series
ended with a whimper.

I was expecting a bigger conflict aside from a battle against a small group of banded together parasyte and their super parasyte gotou. The fight against gotou was fine but it didn't have the oomph I expected as a climax. Plus them just fading and blending in with humans. Logically it all makes sense and thus why I can't complain about the ending, just was surprised there wasn't a bigger climax. Felt more like it ended after the second to last arc, and then had an ending written that wrapped up most things instead of going into a last arc.

kaitou kid end

What can I say, was a fun watch from start to finish, not good, not bad. I was hoping they would wrap things up, but knew full well they would leave it open ended and set up for another season as conan fans and the author alike like Kaitou kid thus there will be more story to tell.... in like another decade or so >.>

I think I am caught up on the stuff that I am not watching via funimations dubcast thus now all I have to do is sit back and wait until next weekend when I have 12-14 first episodes to check out :p.

Cornbread78

Yona of the Dawn-EP1

Damn, this one is going to get interesting now isn't it.. Brutal beginning, but I guess that sets the stage for the rest of the series. Will she learn to love? Will they survive? Will they get revenge? Good artwork and animation so far as well.

Josephl64

Finished all my anime this season being: Kancolle, Akatsuki no Yona, Cross Ange, Nanatsu no Taizai, & Sengoku Musou.

since Senran Kagura is getting Ikkitousen DLC, I figured I might as well start on that series now.

Sterok

Go Princess Precure 9

Op is back to normal already? It's only been 3 episodes. I see it's changed a lot since then. We're not even in the double digits, and Close is already on last chances. Dude needs to try harder. Cameos all over. Yui doesn't really fill the blue role of the trio that well. Vice president is a flirt. Close can't even get respect from his own monsters. To think I thought he was vaguely threatening at first. Scared of ghosts. Worth a chuckle I guess. Those two guys are worthless. Twinkle continues to be the best. Haruka is now Minami's knight. Sure, why not. But who turned off the lights? Doesn't look like Close did.

Eh, still not convinced Minami can carry her own episode. Still needs something more.

Death Parade - 01

Pleasantly surprised at this first episode, but I do have some questions before I continue to move on.

Assuming that Heaven/Hell are Reincarnation/Void respectively, how come Machiko (the wife) receives the bad end particularly? I'm pretty sure she was being 100% honest when she stated that the child was legitimate and that outburst at the end was more giving in to the current situation (the sudden realization that they were dead) and the fact that the husband was going batshit crazy in grief.

Was it because she decided that she wanted her husband to be the one to go into Heaven at the cost of herself? If so, then why don't they both go to Heaven instead of essentially 'competing' for it? The concept of the limbo/mediation area is nice, but I'm not sure if competing for the spot is something I agree with. But I digress, anime is anime.

They will explain reincarnation/void later. Until then, keep in mind they probably aren't what you think they are.

Also watch Death Billiards if you didn't. It's kind of a prequel.

Narag

Death Parade - 01

Pleasantly surprised at this first episode, but I do have some questions before I continue to move on.

Assuming that Heaven/Hell are Reincarnation/Void respectively, how come Machiko (the wife) receives the bad end particularly? I'm pretty sure she was being 100% honest when she stated that the child was legitimate and that outburst at the end was more giving in to the current situation (the sudden realization that they were dead) and the fact that the husband was going batshit crazy in grief.

Was it because she decided that she wanted her husband to be the one to go into Heaven at the cost of herself? If so, then why don't they both go to Heaven instead of essentially 'competing' for it? The concept of the limbo/mediation area is nice, but I'm not sure if competing for the spot is something I agree with. But I digress, anime is anime.

This is one of those legitimate times where "Keep watching" is warranted but if you're still curious it's because
the system is fundamentally flawed
and exploring that is the main thrust of the show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yatterman was one of those complete out of the blue surprises that ended up being probably my favourite show of the season. This is the show that JJ Abrams wishes he had the talent to make when he ruined Star Trek forever, and it should serve as a blueprint for how to do soft-reboots of dormant franchises.

As someone who has no attachment to the Yatterman franchise, I could enjoy the show on its own terms, but I could see the nods to the old fans and an acknowledgement of the metatextual nature of very nature of reversing the hero/villain dynamic of the original. I can only imagine what a fan of the original would have thought about this show, but I'd hope that they'd appreciate that they took a cheesy concept from a long distant past and updated it in a way that was both reverent of the source material but was also creative and engaging to watch on its own.

When I imagine what the people working on Saekano must be like when they slave away at their desks, I assume they feel dead inside and are drawing key frames of the girls harassing the hapless protagonist while thinking of their next paycheck or hoping that their studio gets something worthwhile to animate next season. Yatterman, on the other hand, feels like a show that people who worked on it actually gave a shit and cared about putting their best foot forward.

As far as original, one off shows go, this will probably end up being the best show of the year barring anything exceptional coming out of left field in the next few seasons.

I think Tatsunoko has a pretty good track record on reboots now.
Gatchaman Crowds I liked, Yoru no Yatterman I really liked, and Casshern Sins I didn't finish but I thought it was good. From what I understand opinions on Sins are a bit divided though.

I just wonder what they will do next. Speed Racer seems pretty obvious. Maybe Karas or Tekkaman Blade?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gatchaman Crowds I liked, Yoru no Yatterman I really liked, and Casshern Sins I didn't finish but I thought it was good. From what I understand opinions on Sins are a bit divided though..

I just wonder what they will do next. Speed Racer seems pretty obvious. Maybe Karas or Tekkaman Blade?
Gatchaman Crowds was probably their weirdest reboot, but yeah, it worked really well. I think I'd be up for anything, since at least it seems like they're not slaves to the source material at all, so even if I don't know anything about the franchises, they're still going to be at least watchable on their own.

cajunator

Banned
Lol, yeah, no break down. But it was a good experience overall. It was very emotional and tough to watch at time as dark as it got, but I'm glad I spent time on it.

I mean, Yuki and Madoka had two completely different tones to them. I much prefer this ending over Madoka, however, Madoka was much more emotionally powerful throughout, especially after ep. 3..

yuuki yuuna had less of an impact because people expected it. Madoka came as a complete surprise.

It's just a late adaptation like Parasyte.

So is it like Oh my goddess where there was a short ova forever and then recently a full greenlit tv series?

*huggles Aoi

Gatchaman Crowds I liked, Yoru no Yatterman I really liked, and Casshern Sins I didn't finish but I thought it was good. From what I understand opinions on Sins are a bit divided though.

Well, Gatchaman Crowds Insight is coming this summer.

My Neighbor Totoro

It was sooooooooooo good until
Mei ran away.
Then I was reminded why I don't like watching things with little kids in them. Also it did that Ghibli thing where they always seem to end abruptly. No epilogues allowed.

Gatchaman Crowds was probably their weirdest reboot, but yeah, it worked really well. I think I'd be up for anything, since at least it seems like they're not slaves to the source material at all, so even if I don't know anything about the franchises, they're still going to be at least watchable on their own.

I don't know anything about Tatsunoko outside of Tatsunoko vs Capcom but I still find the series enjoyable.

Well, Gatchaman Crowds Insight is coming this summer.

I wasn't thinking of Insight, more of the next series they will do. I do look forward to Insight though.

Death Parade - 02

Okay, I was worried for a minute that the show will do the typical anime trope and leave things unexplained/plot holes, glad I was wrong and the initial misgivings I had at the first episode were cleared up.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
My Neighbor Totoro

It was sooooooooooo good until
Mei ran away.
Then I was reminded why I don't like watching things with little kids in them. Also it did that Ghibli thing where they always seem to end abruptly. No epilogues allowed.
So.. Did you like it?

Rolling Girls end

And so ends the tale of the most useless protagonists in fiction.

This feels like it was supposed to be a lot longer. Very little development, plot resolutions kind of just happen, large chunks of buildup and necessary information missing, etc. What a disappointing waste.

So.. Did you like it?

I absolutely adored most of the film. Many, many emotions were felt haha. Mononoke is still the top Ghibli film I've watched so far though. It would probably go (from what I have watched)

1. Princess Mononoke
2. Nausicaa (I have the manga box set and need to get around to reading it)
3. My Neighbor Totoro
4. From Up On Poppy Hill
105. Howl's Moving Castle (bleh)

I'm going to be watching Spirited Away as one of the films in my film class, so I'm pretty excited for that!

Thoraxes

World Break - 12 FIN

Fuck yeah, Chiaki Omigawa. Her character getting lots of screen time in the last quarter of the show propelled it to greatness.

Rolling Girls end

And so ends the tale of the most useless protagonists in fiction.

This feels like it was supposed to be a lot longer. Very little development, plot resolutions kind of just happen, large chunks of buildup and necessary information missing, etc. What a disappointing waste.

I'd go the opposite direction with it, make it like a 6 episode OVA. The show suffered most when the pace slowed and the animation quality dipped, and the longer the show is the more likely you're going to have those lulls. The plot was nonsense that barely tied together, but that's fine because it's the energy of the action, the comedy, and the music that drove the series' best moment. The story is an excuse to take you from one setting to the next, and spending time on explaining backstory or doling out plot points would drag on the forward momentum.

Jex

TBH I dont see the reason why you guys should be worried over Towi animate it. since they also done all other Digimon anime

You know what they say about Toei productions.

They really get better every year.

Moaradin

Yatterman END

This episode was weird. I really liked this ending and the animation was pretty good. On the other hand, this episode felt unfinished. There were a lot of weird scenes that felt like they had missing animation towards the end. Lots of reusing scenes in weird spots.

I'm really interested to see if they fix it up for the blu ray releases, because I do like what it was going for.

Jex

Yatterman was one of those complete out of the blue surprises that ended up being probably my favourite show of the season[...]

When I imagine what the people working on Saekano must be like when they slave away at their desks, I assume they feel dead inside and are drawing key frames of the girls harassing the hapless protagonist while thinking of their next paycheck or hoping that their studio gets something worthwhile to animate next season. Yatterman, on the other hand, feels like a show that people who worked on it actually gave a shit and cared about putting their best foot forward.

Unfortunately, by all accounts, a number of staff working on the last episode were suppose depressed and/or lots of cuts didn't even make it into the TV version of the episode. The animators basically told people on Twitter to watch it on Blu-Ray.

wonzo

Banned
gonna put yatterman on hold then until the BD's are out. a shame too :(

what is it with this season and fucked up production schedules…

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yatterman END

This episode was weird. I really liked this ending and the animation was pretty good. On the other hand, this episode felt unfinished. There were a lot of weird scenes that felt like they had missing animation towards the end. Lots of reusing scenes in weird spots.

I'm really interested to see if they fix it up for the blu ray releases, because I do like what it was going for.
Given what they did with Gatchaman, I assume they'll clean it up then.

Unfortunately, by all accounts, a number of staff working on the last episode were suppose depressed and/or lots of cuts didn't even make it into the TV version of the episode. The animators basically told people on Twitter to watch it on Blu-Ray.
Hey, at least they care enough to be sad! I bet no one is going to clean up the terrible CG in Saekano though. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom