• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having read what the first episode of Euphonium is like and knowing the rest of the novel, I'll say it's not exactly the best judge of where it's going. The first part of the novel is lighter than the rest. It's an actual novel (like the Kotenbu series) and Takeda is still growing as a writer. Chuunibyou/Kyoukai's novels weren't enough for a full 12 episode season, but Euphonium has that room to expand content and fill one. There's a lot of characters, which neither KA Esuma Bunko novel had, so there's no need to add them like those adaptations did.

The focus is definitely on music and their concert, but there's a lot of focus on the development of Kumiko and Reina's friendship as well. It's not fluffy like K-On! was; there's a lot of hard work that goes into performing here. Hazuki, who would be in the Yui position of having never played her instrument and acts as the person Takeda used to expand knowledge to, doesn't magically gain talent to play her instrument overnight. She practices a lot, but that doesn't mean she'll automatically get to perform in the concert. Kumiko and Reina have played since they were younger and have more talent in their instruments. There's also an issue that happened the year before in the band...

Takeda spoke with her friends who played in a band and KyoAni invited experienced musicians to better draw the instruments and performances. There's a lot of effort going into the series. That's why it irritates me to see it denigrated as "whaa, why no K-On! S3" or "Ugh, more moe K-On!" It's a better work than what they've adapted recently and I think people will be surprised.

I wouldn't mind a show that was essentially K-ON S3, as long as it was of the caliber of K-ON S2. I wouldn't find that comparison denigrating at all. But certainly what you describe sounds interesting, and if the characters are likable, the drama grounded, and the music well-portrayed, I'm sure I'll like it.

Wait.... Who is doing Digimon?
Please don't say Toei...

Digimon is a Toei-owned franchise; of course Toei is doing it.

-Minsc-

Huh I liked it a lot in the anime version. Think I will indeed check out the manga.

The scary thing is I just realized it has been over ten years since I purchased all 25 volumes. Yikes, time flies.

With the seemingly abundant revival/remakes of older manga series I'm slowly beginning to get my hopes up there'll be remakes for both GTO and Trigun. Two series I believe deserve a proper anime adaptation.

Yeh sounds really unlikely I suppose. Kinda weird with how early the announcement was but with anime production being anime production, who knows what happened.

Digimon is a Toei-owned franchise; of course Toei is doing it.

Toei doesn't own Digimon. It's a Bandai franchise.

But they have, of course, done every single Digimon anime to date, and I'd imagine there's probably some sort of exclusive agreement they have with Bandai (plus they might own the rights to the anime characters, anyway).

lonely

Denpa teki na Kanojo
banner_2578.jpg

I stumbled upon this by accident while looking at cuts from Space Dandy and was interested by what I saw. I hadn't heard of it before so I thought I might as well watch it assuming it to be 2 short OVAs. Instead I got to 40+ minute self contained stories about the 2 main characters and an ever expanding supporting cast. Originally bundled with the DVD release of Kurenai it adapts an earlier work by the same author, and from what I can understand looking of the net it adapts 2 of the 3 novels in the series.
The basic plot is about the 2 main characters Jū Jūzawa and Ame Ochibana. Jū is a stereotypical Japanese High school delinquent with dyed blonde hair always getting into fights with little to no friends. He lives on his own with a unpleasant past hinted at but unfortunately never properly expanded upon. Then with have Ame, a typical Chuuni who believes she was his knight in a previous life and must do all she can to now protect him. We have all the obvious tropes of Jū trying to tell Ame that it's all a delusion but fortunately this is dropped rather quickly and both learn to accept each other. The two main characters work well together even if Jū is a bit thick headed sometimes leaving Ame to handle unneeded exposition.

Now, I went into this expect a light hearted school detective show in the vein of Hyouka with the cast solving some non-mysteries. Instead the first episode opens with rape. So instantly I was hooked as this is something not really brought up in anime. After this I was presented with a dark mystery drama with actual stakes at play. Both episodes contain self contained but equally dark stories. The OVA doesn't pull any punches and thanks to not airing on TV doesn't suffer any unfortunate censorship.
The first OVA deals with a series of brutal serial killings that are taking place and after a schoolmate is killed Jū feels some personal investment in the case and resolves to catch the killer. The second deals with Jū being accused of touching a girl on the train. This then spirals out of control as then he is being harassed at his own home with the pranks growing out of control he and Ame decided to stop them before anyone is hurt. Eventually this leads to them finding out about the existence of the happiness game. The show has a very dark colour pallet with most of the story taking place at night and with this creates a very dark atmosphere which the show revels in. Really, the show builds up a tense and mysterious atmosphere perfectly, keeping the viewer on the edge of their seat. I want to touch upon the direction in the show as the only way I can describe it is 'interesting'. Many encounters result in conversation and during these the characters faces are overlaid over each other and is an interesting way to show the multiple characters reacts when the camera needs to focus on one who is talking. It looks and feels like something Shaft would do but looking back at in now it actually works well. In conclusion I wish there was more as the characters were great and the mysteries were actually interesting. And if you need to watch a show with a chuuni lead don't watch that Kyoani shit or the disappointing Aura, watch this instead as I don't believe its existence is well know on Gaf and it is far and above the other 2 I have mentioned. Even if its not really fair to compare them. :p

rrvv

TBH I dont see the reason why you guys should be worried over Towi animate it. since they also done all other Digimon anime

Cornbread78

Yuuki Yuuna is legit good. It definitely fed off the Madoka hype but it did its own special thing and I appreciated it.

Yes, it was much less dark and gloomy than Madoka, but still very good! It was worth sticking with it to the end. About 1/2 through, I was thinking the worst as well.

Having read what the first episode of Euphonium is like and knowing the rest of the novel, I'll say it's not exactly the best judge of where it's going. The first part of the novel is lighter than the rest. It's an actual novel (like the Kotenbu series) and Takeda is still growing as a writer. Chuunibyou/Kyoukai's novels weren't enough for a full 12 episode season, but Euphonium has that room to expand content and fill one. There's a lot of characters, which neither KA Esuma Bunko novel had, so there's no need to add them like those adaptations did.

The focus is definitely on music and their concert, but there's a lot of focus on the development of Kumiko and Reina's friendship as well. It's not fluffy like K-On! was; there's a lot of hard work that goes into performing here. Hazuki, who would be in the Yui position of having never played her instrument and acts as the person Takeda used to expand knowledge to, doesn't magically gain talent to play her instrument overnight. She practices a lot, but that doesn't mean she'll automatically get to perform in the concert. Kumiko and Reina have played since they were younger and have more talent in their instruments. There's also an issue that happened the year before in the band...

Takeda spoke with her friends who played in a band and KyoAni invited experienced musicians to better draw the instruments and performances. There's a lot of effort going into the series. That's why it irritates me to see it denigrated as "whaa, why no K-On! S3" or "Ugh, more moe K-On!" It's a better work than what they've adapted recently and I think people will be surprised.
You've sold me. I'll have to check this out.
Anime-GAF

Has bad taste confirmed.
What else is new?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
K-On is old hat and it was agreed Azu-nyan is the worst. The new hotness is best (anime) Cinderella Girl.

I wouldn't mind a show that was essentially K-ON S3, as long as it was of the caliber of K-ON S2. I wouldn't find that comparison denigrating at all. But certainly what you describe sounds interesting, and if the characters are likable, the drama grounded, and the music well-portrayed, I'm sure I'll like it.

Pretty much this in regards to my thoughts with this show. I'm actually finding myself looking forward to it.

PK Gaming

I just got into K-ON, but i'm pretty sure it's:

Yui ---(2^7)--->Mugi ---> Ritsu ---> Mio ---> Azunyan

Didn't finish it yet, but i'm confident that ranking will stand the test of time

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I just got into K-ON, but i'm pretty sure it's:

Yui ---(2^7)--->Mugi ---> Ritsu ---> Mugi ---> Azunyan

Didn't finish it yet, but i'm confident that ranking will stand the test of time

Mio!?!!

Mature

Magic Kaito 1412 Series Impressions (or How to Enjoy Magic Kaito Without Watching it)
For the ill informed, Magic Kaito is a manga series first published in 1988 by Gosho Aoyama. Though you, and probably everyone else, know Aoyama through his infinitely more popular (and subsequently, symbiotically popular) series Detective Conan. The titular character of Magic Kaito makes his in-universe crossover debut and appears as an antagonist to Conan in lavish style. After Magic Kaito's brief two volume stint in 1988, he reappeared for another volume in 1994, then having much more time in the Detective Conan series another volume was released in 2007. Since then, he's had his own 12 episode TV special that took the slot of Detective Conan for awhile, Detective Conan OVAs based on chapters from Magic Kaito, and he's even been the spotlight of some of the annualized movies (including the new one coming out next month).

All this to say, there's been a hefty amount of Magic Kaito to go around across the years. Even if vicariously through Conan. So where then does the new series from A-1 fit in? Nowhere, really. There's 33 chapters of the Magic Kaito manga to adapt, but very little of it hasn't been adapted in the past through the aforementioned outlets. Of Magic Kaito 1412 twenty four episode run, five episodes are adapted here first. And of those five episodes, two of them are two parters. That means there's a total of three stories new to all of Magic Kaito 1412. Sure, there's Detective Conan episodes re-adapted here to give us the perspective of Kuroba Kaito and his plights in pulling off his stunts, but they offer almost nothing new since Conan busts them wide open anyway.

But hey, who cares if this isn't covering new ground. This is the first proper TV series of Magic Kaito. It's not a Special, OVA, or something in-between. And... that would be fine if the entire production of this show wasn't trash. The animation is barely passable, the boarding is somehow awful even with the original Manga as a reference, the modern touches they push on the series are slight and irrelevant, the characters designs— as pointed out by many people— are laughable, and the whole thing just lightly jogs past the finish line having done nothing notable. So what we have now is just content that's been adapted in the past BETTER than it is here with a few new chapters adapted in pitiable form. To get an idea of how the visual identity has changed for the worse at a glance, look at these screencaps that show the same scene from Manga, OVA, Special and TV series respectively. The visual identity of the series has undergone a "Haven't I seen this look in every other anime?" retrofitting. It zaps away the charisma of the manga and leaves its barely identifiable husk.

So what's the point? Well, I hear it did very well in ratings. So someone knows what they're doing. Plus it doesn't hurt to promote that new movie coming out next month. But I wouldn't recommend this series to anyone— especially with better adaptations for most of it already in existence. This show though? A waste of time. In fact, reading me talk about this was a waste of time for you. The Magic Kaito series isn't amazing anyway. Go watch Detective Conan or something.

But if you just love Magic Kaito so much that you just MUST watch it (or have a holy inclination to consume anything in the Conan-verse as I do) and somehow haven't already fallen into its trap, I've made a little guide to follow.

This is how you don't watch Magic Kaito 1412:
Ep. 1 "The Revived Phantom Thief Kid".......... —> Ep. 1 of 2010 Special
Ep. 2 "Blue Birthday"......................................—> Ep. 5 of 2010 Special
Ep. 3 "Hustler vs. Magician"............................—> Ch. 13 of Manga
Ep. 4 "A Great Detective Steps Into the Light"..—> Ep. 7 of 2010 Special
Ep. 5 "A Temptation in Scarlet".......................—> Ep. 4 of 2010 Special
Ep. 6 "Black Star"..........................................—> Ep. 219 of Detective Conan
Ep. 7 "Kaito Kuroba's Busy Holiday".................—> Ep. 2 of 2010 Special
Ep. 8 "The Adult's Charm"...............................—> Ep. 4 of 2010 Special
Ep. 9 "The Phantom Lady Appears".................—> Ch. 29-30 of Manga
Ep. 10-11 Ryoma's Treasure Episodes.............—> Ep. 627-628 of Detective Conan
Ep. 12 "Christmas Eve - Two Kaitou Kids"........—> Ch. 14 of Manga
Ep. 13 "Stay Away From Him".........................—> Ep. 6 of 2010 Special
Ep. 14 "Crystal Mother"...................................—> OVA 4 of Detective Conan
Ep. 15 "The Princess and the Thief's Improv"....—> Ep. 3 of 2010 Special
Ep. 16 "Kid Vs Conan, Miraculous Midair Walk".—> Ep. 356 of Detective Conan
Ep. 17 "Green Dream".....................................—> Ch. 20 of Manga
Ep. 18-19 "Challenge from Chat Noir"................—> Ep. 10 of 2010 Special
Ep. 20 "Dark Knight"........................................—> Ep. 12 of 2010 Special
Ep. 21 "Teleportation Under the Moonlight"........—> Ep. 515 of Detective Conan
Ep. 22 "Red Tear"............................................—> Ep. 8 of 2010 Special
Ep. 23-24 "Midnight Crow"................................—> Ch. 21-23 of Manga

So yeah. In conclusion, the world would probably be better off without this.
M5zlUDMl.png

Seiken tsukai no world break - 12[end]

A harem anime that could have been better if the animation team was more skilled, /had more time / more budget..

i know because i'm an expert.

I normally don't like to participate in these "Best Girl" things, but from the 7 (at least I think I just watched 7) episodes of K-ON! S1 that I watched, Mio was the best out of all of them.

Eureka Seven - 9

On the side: OP track seems somewhat average. I think I'm mostly gonna skip it from now on as it didn't latch onto me by now. It did remind me of s.th. else but I wasn't quite sure up to this point. Now I think it may be somewhat similar to the music that plays during the 'previews' at the end of the Evangelion Rebuild movies? Not sure.

Best OP is OP2 for SHOUNEN HEARTO. FLOW sings the first OP, and if you've seen Code Geass then that's probably what you're thinking of.

My OP rankings are:

OP2 > OP1 > OP4 > OP3.

Cornbread78

So what is AnimeGAF's con census on Shin Sekai Yori, or From the New World? Is it worth a watch when I'm done with Yona? What is it all about?

WonderzL

Banned
Okay, finished BLOOD-C The Last Dark with a friend. I think this fits into my "it's so bad it's somewhat good" group of anime (like the second season of Psycho-Pass). I mean, I couldn't take it seriously at all, so I ended up enjoying it a bit? Anyway, what a waste of resources. Also, THAT CGI. Oh my god. CLAMP should just retire already, seriously.

Edit: Also, stop using Watanuki in your shit stories.

Looks like a Tokyo Ghoul ;re anime (The real continuation of the manga) might have just been announced?

Might be fake? No one has reported on it yet.

CBTfLrOXEAAkvR6.jpg:large

Wouldn't surprise me given how popular the series is.
Aqua post if you are ok

That looks very suspect. Why would anyone put (month) 2016 (year) 1 (month)? Standard date usage for announcements tend to be (month) (year) unless it's season where it goes (year) (season). Not knowing anything about the series, it seems fake to me. The scheduling is fine, but that image doesn't look correct.

So what is AnimeGAF's con census on Shin Sekai Yori, or From the New World? Is it worth a watch when I'm done with Yona? What is it all about?

Personally, I felt it was a solid show with some characterization weaknesses in the final arc. It's well worth a watch, but it does get darker and you've seen a lot of dark shows lately. Essentially it's set 1000 years in the future where humans have developed telekinetic powers and 6 youths discover the truths about the world.

That looks very suspect. Why would anyone put (month) 2016 (year) 1 (month)? Standard date usage for announcements tend to be (month) (year) unless it's season where it goes (year) (season). Not knowing anything about the series, it seems fake to me. The scheduling is fine, but that image doesn't look correct.

It looks pretty suspect, but the date lineup is believable. I didn't think of the date/month thing. If no one reports on it or there's no announcement then I'll just assume it's a fake.

Sterok

Something else sneaked in almost under the radar. Something I wasn't looking forward to, but ended up wanting to like. I like some of the things it does. But...

Happiness Charge Precure Movie

Starts off with the best and most important character, Masuko. And some weird thing that's there because? Fortune feels like she uses almost all new attacks during the movie. At least the Miracle Lights section was kind of amusing this time. Depressed little girl. This time handicapped. What, was Nico not enough? Whose bright idea was it to put Megumi in charge of controlling the puppets anyway? And I keep forgetting that Hime's abbreviated name means Snow White. Always throws me for a loop now. Hime gets all the amusing stuff and has the dream. So naturally it must still be a Megumi movie. Hime needs to figure out that Iona is her prince. Megumi is used to the weird stuff. Off to the Doll Kingdom. Which is a better name than the Hope Kingdom by the way.

Fun times for all. Except Blue. No loss there. Hime gets her fun. Ribbon is the true top maid. Dancing time. Seiji gets lucky, and Glasan gets the girl. Turns out Yuuko and Iona have their own ways of being smart. Too bad it doesn't do them any good. Nice knowing you Seiji. So here's Tsumugi's sad backstory. Liked dancing, then her feet stopped working. Eh, works for me. Nothing Megumi can do about it, so she's going to learn a valuable lesson about what you can and can't accomplish. Except it's obvious the bad guy did all that. Ribbon and Glasan look almost exactly the same as dolls. Black Fang reminds me of Joker.

Poor loyal dolls sacrifice themselves. Would be sad, but they're dolls, and I don't care about them. Not a bad scene though. Yup, Fang was behind everything. Way to ruin whatever depth the movie had. Now a nice pep talk is all that's needed to turn things around. I've seen this before how many times? Final battle is giving me flashbacks of Hacha's finale. Oh hey, this time the bad guy is smart enough to block the Lights' power. At least for awhile. Ribbon is still funny. You know, I don't mind a pink exclusive movie power-up, but Heart and Lovely getting two exclusive super modes is just lame. And Super Happiness Lovely is a name even worse than they usually are. At least Forever Lovely meant something. Oh hey, the movie that's usually designed around some sort of pink wank actually had a better ending with more teamwork than the actual show. Amazing. I actually have to give it a bonus point for that. And we finish off before we actually see Tsumugi's dance. Weak. Wait, the second dance ed took place in a blimp? That's the real surprise.

I like and hate this movie at the same time. The ideas and themes presented are more interesting than I thought they would be. Hime and Ribbon are funny, while Megumi avoids being obnoxious. But the fights are kind of meh. More importantly,
Fang disabling her feet, thus bringing them back, kind of ruins whatever sort of message the movie wants to send. Shit happens, and some people are screwed out of their dreams. But that doesn't mean they can't find happiness some other way. This way though, all despair is treated like a solvable thing that magic can fix, which doesn't work when it's a girl in the normal world having a somewhat mundane issue. I'm sorry, but it really ruined the movie for me. Yeah it would probably be too depressing, but like the show's finale this needed to have some guts.
And in general there a bunch of minor quibbles that bugged me, preventing me from getting really invested. Nothing ever clicked.

To sum up, not terrible, not great. Nice ideas, but bad execution. Better than the show's finale at least. This time you know it's going to disappoint, and the final battle is less of a slap in the face to what the show stands for. Worth a watch if you like the characters.

Cornbread78

Personally, I felt it was a solid show with some characterization weaknesses in the final arc. It's well worth a watch, but it does get darker and you've seen a lot of dark shows lately. Essentially it's set 1000 years in the future where humans have developed telekinetic powers and 6 youths discover the truths about the world.

Interesting premise there. Is there any relationship building or action/adventure built into it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom