• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phatmac

Solid episode with a great scene between Rin and Shirou. Both arguments are valid to some extent and it shows why I've liked their paring as Rin will always try to give worth to Shirou's life despite having no worth in his life. Gotta love lancer's first scene and their teasing of Rin. It was always one of my favorite moments in the show. The show really does display how broken Shirou is with the crazy look in his eyes. Good stuff

Maybe the reality is that there are only a few shows that can survive, so trying to support a 20 show season is completely impossible without resorting to doing things the way they are done now.

That said, I'm sure there's demand for cartoons in the mainstream that go beyond Sazae-san and the like. If Seth McFarlane figured out a way to do it, I'd have to imagine some intrepid Japanese producer could figure out a way to get a show in a prime time slot on Japanese TV.

There are cartoons that air in prime time on Japanese TV every season even aside from the most popular staples such as Sazae-san, Doraemon, and Conan - this season, for instance, you've got Denpa Kyoushi, Gintama, Arslan Senki, Rinne, and Baby Steps added to the mix - but there's a limited number of shows and limited kinds of shows that can get those slots. (That said, I have no idea how Denpa Kyoushi of all things managed to snag the timeslot before Conan.)

I just realised that I really, really like Kekkai Sensen opening. It really got err...advancement? No, I think transition is better.

Fate Stay Embarassed 2 - 4
Emiya my boy, say all of that with a straight face. Best scene.
Oh and doctor gilgamesh. Who can forget his great heart operation?

phaze

Katanagatari 11
004067o6r5z.png

And they lived happily ever after.

That's quite a cliffhanger to leave things on. But after previous episode, it seems like Shichika is still the one more likely to be offed.

On to the last one.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
High School DXD BorN episode 2
Everyone getting their powerup, lots of new characters and plot points being established, still a fun ride.

I just realised that I really, really like Kekkai Sensen opening. It really got err...advancement? No, I think transition is better.

Fate Stay Embarassed 2 - 4
Emiya my boy, say all of that with a straight face. Best scene.
Oh and doctor gilgamesh. Who can forget his great heart operation?

It also has to do with Bump of Chicken, they are a brilliant band. I mean have you heard the Final Fantasy Type Zero song they did, it's so good. The singer has a distinct and unique voice.

Man when it hits the climax it's amazing. Plus the One Piece song they did Sailing Day is great as well.

Stole this from Donkey Show in the OT -

Yoshiyuki Tomino Admits Story Problems in Gundam Reconguista

Tomino admitted to his errors, even saying "I'd only get 15 points out of 100."

Regarding the criticism that Gundam Reconguista's story was confusing, Tomino admits that he didn't write the show in a way that was easy to follow. "If I was told that it wasn't understandable because I was bad, all I could say is, 'I'm sorry,'" he said.

Frankly, I didn't think it would be this horrible. Fundamentally, people don't respond to stories made with cold logic. If the logic is overpowering, it won't be a story you can be emotionally attached to. That's all. After Episode 19, we improved so it became a little easier to watch, but gosh, it was too late. With a terrifying amount of effort, we managed to wrap everything up by Episode 26.

But the people I'd most want to see it probably didn't. That's the guys in the Cabinet, the nuclear energy guys. And I don't expect them to.

:Tomino x10000

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works16 - The only notable thing this ep.
khTBz2jm.png

Plastic Memories 04 - No feels from me so far just, but I'll keep going and continuing to sigh.
GBC in the future, sweet
xnRbCwNm.png

Kekkai Sesen 04 - I feel I should be enjoying this more, but finding it to be boring wrapped with cool design and music.
Gunslinger Stratos: The Animation 04 - I said I was going to drop this, I really should cause it's boring as F.

Dynedom

BBB - 04

I dunno. There is a lack of cohesiveness in this show. Things just happen. I feel like every time I watch an episode, I've missed something by the end. That doesn't get better on re-watches.

It's stylish and has a fantastic OST, that's for sure.

VRMN

The second sEason is already starting off much better than the first. Is there any no ugh material for an S3, or will S2 finish up the story?

S2 in all likelihood won't even get to the final(?) key holder. But the story isn't over in the manga, so there's no lack of material for them to animate

Baalzebup

The only thing I learned from Asuna is that you should settle down with the first person possible and never fight you own battles from then on.

The fuck? I get that there is plenty SAO hate here but how do even begin to see this as a thing? Even ignoring everything else, what was Mother's Rosario about then?

Seraph of the End 4

The background art still looking great as ever. Anyways the episode was meh with the same old generic and cliched gimmicks overused. I mean it's really hard to feel sad or anything when it feels forced. At least there's Shinoa.

Cornbread78

The only thing I learned from Asuna is that you should settle down with the first person possible and never fight you own battles from then on.

Lol, well love at first sight and all that, but whatever, this is anime. I could probably write out a decent argument for her reactions and on why psychologically and emotionally her relationship with Kirito works within the story, but that's just a pain. While I completely understand the strong arguments on why people hate SAO and the characters involved, I'll irrationally continue to feel it was great and felt great to follow. That's just me, lol.

The fuck? I get that there is plenty SAO hate here but how do even begin to see this as a thing? Even ignoring everything else, what was Mother's Rosario about then?

My knight..

She was one the best swords-woman in SAO as well. 2nd best to be exact. Wait, 2nd in ALO, #1 in SAO.

Jex

Blood Blockade Battlefront] - 4

Well this wasn't very good. Rie is doing her best to put an interesting spin on what a fairly generic story but you can only polish weak material so much.

In this episode, things that we don't understand are either happening too quickly or too slowly for us to care about them. Numerous plotlines criss-cross each other frequently and it's hard to tell what we're supposed to be paying attention to considering how many things are going on in a single episode. Characters who are largely ciphers take a backseat to allow more paper thin characters to enter an already over-stuffed cast.

Oh and let's not skip past the apparent reveal of the show's major threat - vampires. Really? In a setting within infinite possibilities were going to do down that tired old route?

There's also more weak action scenes that have literally zero stakes because the audience doesn't know what's going on and has no reason to be invested. There's the occasional nice shot within these scenes but they're mostly bad.

It really doesn't help that this show continues to look really cheap overall, with tons of budget saving techniques such as overhead shots and stills. Worse, even though the underlying art might be okay everything has been slapped under an ugly filter.

It's just kind of a mess.

cajunator

Banned
Already seen that one. It's Jinki Extend.

I have that show on dvd. It alright.

Yeah, not quite. Anime threads in general (whether they be show specific, or what have you) certainly make sense because they're actual about something, such as a specific show or news about a studio.

Recommendation threads are just what happens when people believe they don't have access to enough information about a subject. They signify some kind of problem.

In reality, of course, people could just search the archives for one of the many recommendation threads, or the anime advice threads, or just ask in here. Time period specific threads, and top anime threads, are also good resources. Yet people still create more of those threads. I'm sure that part of the reason why such threads are created is because people aren't aware of 1) this thread in community and 2) the rich history of anime threads available in the archive.

Moreover, even when we had a thread in the OT, usually near the top of the list of threads, we still got recommendation threads. Just not as many we do now.

Considering that I did a whole lot of talking about preserving valuable discussions about anime on this forum I thought that I better go out of my way to actually do something about it. To that end, I've updated my "List of Anime Recommendation Threads" from being kind of a sarcastic info dump into a useful tool for newcomers. Here is the revised list:

NeoGAF Top Anime Voting Threads

NeoGaf Top Anime Results

Anime of the Year 2010

Anime of the Year 2011

Anime of the Year 2012

Anime of Year 2013

Anime of Year 2014

Threads which highlight anime from a particular time period or genre

The retro, classic, nostalgic, unmissable anime list thread

Lesser known Anime from the 2000's: Because they still make great anime

Like DBZ/One Piece/Bleach/Naruto/etc? The battle manga/anime mega list

Requests for anime from a particular time period

Recommend me some anime gems from the 80's

Golden Age Anime Thread….List them!

I want more gritty 80's non fan service noncomedic anime

Anime from the 80's and 90's were the best. Look here for some recommendations.

looking for 90s Anime reccomendations

Anime from the 80's and 90's were the best. Look here for some recommendations.

Anime Gaf, I want to get back into the swing of things. Recomend me anything modern.

Recommendations for people new to anime / getting back into anime

What was your "Gateway" Anime?

New to Anime, where to start?

Anime is overwhelming, where to start?

Getting back into anime

Anime GAF, I'm trying to get back into anime. Can you help?

Recommendations for anime films

I adore Howls Moving Castle! Recommend me other Anime Movies

I am in the mood for an Anime-Movie.

Anime movies that aren't Sci-Fi or Fantasy?

Anime film recommendations

Mecha Anime

Any anime similar to Eureka Seven?

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Unicorns, and 30 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Good robot/post apocalyptic themed anime?

Slightly obscure but still good giant robot / super robot anime recommendations?

Recommend a mech anime.

The Mecha |OT| Of Giant Robots Punching Gods and Godzilla

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

Recommendations for Sports Anime

Are there any sports anime worth watching?

Sports Anime

I really enjoy sports themed anime, come share your favourite!

Recommendations for Streaming Anime

Good anime on Netflix?

Best anime on Hulu right now?

Netflix best animes?

Hulu Plus - What newer anime should I be watching?

Which Netflix anime should I watch next?

Anime recommendations for Crunchyroll and Netflix users?

Dubbed Anime

Anime with excellent English dubs?

Decent Dubs of Anime?

What are some good English dubbed anime for kids?

Best English dubbed anime?

Recommendations for Fighting/Action Anime

Please reccomend samurai anime (and movies!)

Anime GAF, need suggestions on fighting anime

Any good War Anime?

recommend me a badass anime movie

In the mood for some anime films, with crazy awesome fights

Good fighting/action Anime (other than Bleach/naruto types)

Very specific anime recommendation requests

Anime with recurring cute animals?

Anime for someone who doesn't like anime in general?

Need some anime recommendations to watch with the mom (just finish space bros)

Feel-good anime recommendations

Anime recommendations for a girl who doesn't like anime

best anime series for young and old

anime with real impressive animation?

Non-furry-catgirl-loli-kawaii-teardrops anime recommendations?

Anime movies/OVAs/series without shitty anime tropes

Mature science fiction anime recommendation

Recommend Adult Anime TV Shows

Need a Summer Anime series to watch

sci-fi animes like gist !?

MAN-ime Thread

Funny/Action Anime Recommendations

People who only kinda sorta like anime...

Alternative/Different Anime (Mushishi/Mononoke/etc)?

Sword & Sorcery(fantasy) Anime suggestions to watch?

Recommendations for ‘The Best’ Anime

Anime "Masterpieces"

What is your favourite anime? (and your favourite anime ost?)

What is your top 10 anime?

What are you top 3 anime series (not anime movies)?

Must watch anime?

Generic Recommendation Threads

Anime Recommendation

Help me Anime fans!

Anime recommendations wanted.

Need Anime related help :(

Anime-Age Recommend me some

Recommend me some anime

What anime besides Steins; Gate and Attack on Titan are worth watching?

Looking for anime to watch, but

did i watch all the great animes ?!

Blu-Ray & Anime suggestion time!

Gaf, I need anime that is…

anime suggestions

I love these resources. We need to ensure that they are seen somehow.

Ichigo Mashimaro (Strawberry Marshmallow)

Super cute slice of life with adorable girls. No story at all, very fun and pretty. 10/10

You seem to enjoy a lot of my recommendations so I will think of some more.

Well, the UK/Australia market has lower prices because the whole reverse import thing isn't a concern.
Toradora is about half the price there as it is here via NISA: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KGV5NMI/

What I sort of dislike about the trend in US anime releases is that they are charging more but giving less. It seems that the days of including Japanese-licensed features (or even OVAs/omakes) are over, and all you are paying for is the show on a disc and perhaps a dub. Oh, and a fancy box and other junk that you don't want but create the impression of value.

I do find it hilarious how Sentai refuses to talk to ANN and the Funimation guys guard their numbers as tightly as NPD does with game sales numbers.

This becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Sales are down, so you raise prices to try to maintain the same revenue, then you wonder why sales keep going down and you raise the prices once again.

Thats quite true but remember that Funimation and Sentai are shells of the companies they used to be. Funi less so but they have learned from past mistakes.

I can't remember - are there no military androids in this universe? I would have expected there to be more practical applications than simply companions for lonely people anyway.

And I would imagine that pays off and is not an oversight. But you never know with these things.

Not having commentaries in the Monogatari box sets is a pretty huge compromise!

Nerd stuff really seems so random. Either you hit some kind of nerve that gets people frothing at the prospect of buying your crap, or you get... well, Saekano. :p

I dont think its a big deal but Im not really into commentary stuff.
Ultimately since its my money I think the overall package gives me what I want.

hnnnnng

Pretty much yeah. Asuna is the worst.

Tuck

Plastic Memories - 4
Yeah I'm really enjoying this. Good blend of comedy and feels. The concept of the show is completely bonkers but I think the show manages the rules it set out for itself pretty well. Thought the emotional aspects were pretty well done. I wonder if its a two parter - the ending sort of felt cliffhangery

Could have done without that one little bit of fan service though.

BBB - 04

I dunno. There is a lack of cohesiveness in this show. Things just happen. I feel like every time I watch an episode, I've missed something by the end. That doesn't get better on re-watches.

It's stylish and has a fantastic OST, that's for sure.

I do.

It's not very good.

Well this wasn't very good. Rie is doing her best to put an interesting spin on what a fairly generic story but you can only polish weak material so much.

In this episode, things that we don't understand are either happening too quickly or too slowly for us to care about them. Numerous plotlines criss-cross each other frequently and it's hard to tell what we're supposed to be paying attention to considering how many things are going on in a single episode. Characters who are largely ciphers take a backseat to allow more paper thin characters to enter an already over-stuffed cast.

Oh and let's not skip past the apparent reveal of the show's major threat - vampires. Really? In a setting within infinite possibilities were going to do down that tired old route?

There's also more weak action scenes that have literally zero stakes because the audience doesn't know what's going on and has no reason to be invested. There's the occasional nice shot within these scenes but they're mostly bad.

It really doesn't help that this show continues to look really cheap overall, with tons of budget saving techniques such as overhead shots and stills. Worse, even though the underlying art might be okay everything has been slapped under an ugly filter.

Yeh pretty much all of that.

With how little I care about anything going on 4 episodes I'm just gonna drop it.

Fate stay night - Unlimited Tsundere Works - 16
Rin toshaka showing why she is one of the best tsundere characters.

Thanks for the food.

Food Wars 4

This kid could satisfy anyone with any ingredients. New rival steps in was pretty awesome. It's time someone actually posed a threat to Soma.

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? 4

The harem potential this kid has. It's too strong. You can do it Tavern-chan and Elf-chan!

Fate/Stay Night -Unlimited Budget Works- 16

I am always amazed with ufotable. They are just so damn good. God-tier animation.

I guess there's no coming back from
Gilgamesh ripping out your heart. RIP Illya.
Shirou kind of going crazy was pretty crazy to see and
Lancer
teasing Rin was fun to watch.

Nisekoi S2 3

The reaction faces make this show. But why another few episodes about the worst girl again!! If this is going to be how it going to be than I want to whole second half of this season to focus on Onodera with zero Chitoge. Because they barely put in Onodera in the last few episodes. Like what the crap.

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Too 4

Nice going dude!!

A lot of "oh shit!" moments this episode. What will you do Hikki?

Reknoc

Tbf that last part isn't Asuna's fault. No strong female character in anime can avoid having all their strength and talent sapped by the more important and more male MC.

BBB - 04

Beautifull episode , yet something is missing .
If i still have that ²feelign after the end of ep5 i'm going to drop this show.

Cool characters , cool setting , cool visual, excellent music most of the time yet i'm not feelign it.

How much of this can be blamed on the source material and how much can be blamed on inherent weaknesses in Rie Matsumoto's direction, honestly? I mean, I could say much the same things you write in the second paragraph about the original Kyousougiga ONA.

Tuck

Blood Blockade 4
I agree with some of the complaints raised regarding this episode. It certainly lacked focus, and kept jumping to different things. In particular, I'm surprised they still have done nothing with the ghost girl. Plus they decided to add in another blondie for reasons still unknown. So those two aspects were pretty random. The rest of the episode did however tie together. Because the show jumps around so much with often times very fast cuts, it can be a bit tricky to follow. And if you don't read that green text, you'd definitely be confused why a bunch of random accidents keep occurring. Thankfully by the end of the episode I fully understood what had happened, with my final question being resolved (I had been confused exactly how talking to a stranger on the subway led to him seeing the crimson wings). So long as the show fills in the gaps, I don't mind too much the unfocused, rapid nature. It sort of plays into the stylishness of the show. I do think the characters need more development, but its still early. Also, really like the main character design.

Overall, looks like I'm skewing more positively than other people in the thread. I think I'll enjoy it enough to see it through.

For now, I am entertained, and thats enough to keep going.

Blood Blockade Battlefront 4

Man am I really loving the background art, it gives off this odd and out of this world atmosphere. It feels so different and unique. To top it off the music was on point, the OST is brilliant.

I love how everything is so busy and things are happening in the background. Just love the way Rie Matsumoto uses visuals to provides these tiny details. I mean we have Zapp drinking Bluemoon beer, the monkey also drinking beer and eating chips, and KK moving along with Zapp while Leo is sitting there. It makes everything thing alive and full of personality. Also while the pacing may seem fast, to me it actually fits well considering the world they live in (New York) is chaotic and busy. The part where the giant centipede got smacked by a meteor was hilarious. Anyways Blood Breeds were introduced and seems threatening as well. It seems they can inhale blood rather than suck on people which is new to me. Lastly we are introduced to White's brother who seems to be an opposing threat and someone who's connected to Femt. Plus it seems White isn't on good terms with her brother. Now I'm curious on where this is gonna go.

These reaction faces are priceless. Man I could just watch this cast of characters do random hijinks all day long. Can't wait for this to eventually be on BD, it's gonna be a good rewatch since there are lots of details hidden everywhere.

Baalzebup

It was certainly what ALO was about.

Ah yes, the arc where she was being held prisoner by a person with essentially godlike authority over her, and yet managed to at least try to escape by ingenuity and very, very limited resources. Shit, blame the writer for coming up with the scenario and all that molesting, rape imagery and attempted rape by a person she had literally no chances of resisting, but don't write off her character and role in the series by that one arc alone, seeing as she was far more in Aincrad and bounced back in later events.

People come up with the weirdest arguments with this series. I don't remember who said it, but there was a claim that Kirito wasn't all that brave outside of the virtual world.... Casually ignoring him helping out Sinon with the tiny little issue of a crazy killer person in her apartment. It's not like he knew the dude was as great of a dweeb as Kirito himself. Could have been someone built like the Governator.

Sterok

Re-Kan 4

Obligatory beach episode. Wish the cat would just die already. And not come back as a ghost. Some stuff for Esumi this time around. This show is the perfect example of perfectly average. Not great in any aspect, but not bad enough that I feel the need to drop it.

Midonin

Go! Princess Precure 13

Princess Twilight Sparkle kinda reminds me of Regina - she's even Dyspear's daughter - only she's more seductive instead of childish. I suppose that's what happens when you're voiced by Miyukichi. Haven't heard a voice like this from her for a while.
There's also plenty of foreshadowing for her eventual turn to Cure Scarlet, including her key and the fact that she's using fire attacks even before her turn to heroism.
Haruka's violin playing went from Kotomi level to... not Kaori level, but pretty good in the span of one episode, but this week largely felt like setup.

Next week, Haruka's family returns, including her little sister. Who I thought was Nozomi from Yes 5 at first.

Tuck

Blood Blockade Battlefront 4

These reaction faces are priceless. Man I could just watch this cast of characters do random hijinks all day long. Can't wait for this to eventually be on BD, it's gonna be a good rewatch since there are lots of details hidden everywhere.

Brofist.

Re-Kan 4

Obligatory beach episode. Wish the cat would just die already. And not come back as a ghost. Some stuff for Esumi this time around. This show is the perfect example of perfectly average. Not great in any aspect, but not bad enough that I feel the need to drop it.
Obligatory
Yep , this episode was weak ...and nothing really changed in this ep. The running gags are weak and so far the comedy is quite uneven.

As far as i'm concerned, the cat was the best thing in this episode. ( and that's not a good thing ! )

jgminto

Ah yes, the arc where she was being held prisoner by a person with essentially godlike authority over her, and yet managed to at least try to escape by ingenuity and very, very limited resources. Shit, blame the writer for coming up with the scenario and all that molesting, rape imagery and attempted rape by a person she had literally no chances of resisting, but don't write off her character and role in the series by that one arc alone, seeing as she was far more in Aincrad and bounced back in later events.
You can't separate a character from the writer's desires for that character, they were created to be used for that purpose. She was rendered a powerless goal for the protagonist because that's what the writer wanted. There's no point saying "don't blame the character" because they're a fictional character whose actions are totally dictated by the author. Her character is that she was a strong person originally before being sidelined as Kirito's love and final prize in ALO and then then being on the sidelines as one of his cheerleaders in GGO. Perhaps her character improves after that point, I wouldn't know as I gave up during the boredom of GGO, but that doesn't remove those terrible elements of her character. You could ignore that she was turned into a powerless object and spectator for a large part of the show but those events were still her written purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom