• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blockade Battlefront 4
Another week, another episode of Kekkai Sensen with terrible pacing and poor narrative development. I think I've just about given up any hope of this being any good.

Kekkai Sensen 03-04

I really like this series, the otherworldly setting is so good. The new characters they keep adding are entertaining. Also the OST continues to be pretty good and the background art is gorgeous.

Pretty much my favorite series at the moment.

World Trigger Episode 27
CDekAFqVEAIK_DR.jpg

Took three weeks but we finally have a new op visuals to go with the songs instead of them using the new song with clips for the ED, which was really odd for three or so weeks.

Phenomenal episodes, the strategy employed by all groups associated with my favorite team of three was excellent. It was more a edge of your seat type of event than the manga made it seem. Midorikawa swift action, Izumi's hound, and Yoneyan's spear attacks worked well together.
the trap at the end, impressive

Baalzebup

You can't separate a character from the writer's desires for that character, they were created to be used for that purpose. She was rendered a powerless goal for the protagonist because that's what the writer wanted. There's no point saying "don't blame the character" because they're a fictional character whose actions are totally dictated by the author. Her character is that she was a strong person originally before being sidelined as Kirito's love and final prize in ALO and then then being on the sidelines as one of his cheerleaders in GGO. Perhaps her character improves after that point, I wouldn't know as I gave up during the boredom of GGO, but that doesn't remove those terrible elements of her character. You could ignore that she was turned into a powerless object and spectator for a large part of the show but those events were still her written purpose.

Bolded is obvious, nor did I intend dispute that, but trying to impose the image of one part of her characterization / character arc to the whole of it is disingenuous, and a situation a character is forced upon is not the same as his or her actions within the situation. She did freaking try to escape, not *just* wait around to be saved. Would have been much better if, for example, she did save herself and instead pulled Kiritos bacon out of the fire, but alas, the writer had to have his rapey scenario and thus degrade the image of a powerful character. Fairy Dance was, for the most part, both a misstep and a disservice to the series as a whole. And yes, most
female
characters of the show suffer from being overshadowed and/or sidelined by Kirito the VMMO Gawd.

However, none of that will remove the fact that Asuna was a part of the elite crew of the front rankers who were the only people in Aincrad who were actively trying to get the fuck out of their little living nightmare and was pretty highly ranked among the lot of 'em. Maybe even the 3rd best, right after the main villain and the designated hero of the story. And ofc you managed to stop before Mother's Rosario arc, which was essentially Asuna - The redemption arc and, funnily enough, a pretty well regarded arc in opposition to Fairy Dance. Shit, she has even picked up a distinct reputation and an awe-inspiring nickname by that time AND Kirito is the sideshow in that story.

Cornbread78

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Too! Ep.4
Bravo to Haya for trying to help Hiki out, even though it was not appreciated. He needs to learn to look through a second point of view when it comes to his own issues. The next drama arc between Yuki and Yui should be pretty damn emotional and I'm intrigued to see how Hiki handles it.
Having Yui contend with her for the presidency, it means Yuki is not getting the job handed to her, which she doesn't want
Another great episode, I never thought I would like this type of show, but it's really good! TY to whoever made me watch it, lol.

Plastic Memories ep.4
Dammit, why must this show make it so difficult for me to hold back tears... There is always a great mixture of feelings you get from watching each episode; from joy & laughter to sadness & pain. We finally got to see Michu
expose some of her building feelings towards Tsuk
and she even helped him out with a case after letting go more of that tsundere attitude. She will have an important role in this show going forward and I can see her constantly having to remind Tsuk that Isla is an android. She has to be that buffer for him, especially since nobody has yet to tell Tsuk that Isla is
almost ready to be decommissioned and her memories wiped
I wonder about that closing scene though, this is the first cliffhanger they have used so far...
Overall, it is another great episode to deepen the emotion towards what we all will happen at the end of the show, Isla knows it coming too and it's starting to show on her face, which is why those scenes in this show were so important. I really wish I could find the manga on English to read, because I would love to read ahead in this one because the story premise is pretty damn good, although holding emotion back on this one is so tough at times..

World Trigger Episode 27

Took three weeks but we finally have a new op visuals to go with the songs instead of them using the new song with clips for the ED, which was really odd for three or so weeks.

The new opening visuals also seem to imply that it'll go as far as the current manga arc. Wonder if they'll be able to find a decent ending point.

Taruranto

Blood Blockade Battlefront] - 4

Well this wasn't very good. Rie is doing her best to put an interesting spin on what a fairly generic story but you can only polish weak material so much.

In this episode, things that we don't understand are either happening too quickly or too slowly for us to care about them. Numerous plotlines criss-cross each other frequently and it's hard to tell what we're supposed to be paying attention to considering how many things are going on in a single episode. Characters who are largely ciphers take a backseat to allow more paper thin characters to enter an already over-stuffed cast.

Oh and let's not skip past the apparent reveal of the show's major threat - vampires. Really? In a setting within infinite possibilities were going to do down that tired old route?

There's also more weak action scenes that have literally zero stakes because the audience doesn't know what's going on and has no reason to be invested. There's the occasional nice shot within these scenes but they're mostly bad.

It really doesn't help that this show continues to look really cheap overall, with tons of budget saving techniques such as overhead shots and stills. Worse, even though the underlying art might be okay everything has been slapped under an ugly filter.

It's just kind of a mess.

Did you read the manga (I didn't)? Reading around, apparently they skipped several key scenes, which would explain why a lot of things felt rushed.

It sure suffers from "too many characters introduced at once", and with only 12 episodes there isn't much they can do.

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

Yes.

Did you read the manga (I didn't)? Reading around, apparently they skipped several key scenes, which would explain why a lot of things felt rushed.

It sure suffers from "too many characters introduced at once", and with only 12 episodes there isn't much they can do.

I'm not surprised they cut key scenes, every episode has felt rushed and jarringly incohesive. This would have been a better show if they had used 2 episodes arcs instead of what they've been doing. This is probably just a poor adaptation of a mediocre source material.

Arabesque

The new opening visuals also seem to imply that it'll go as far as the current manga arc. Wonder if they'll be able to find a decent ending point.
This might sound insane, but might the anime get another 50 episodes?

I mean, it did improve from being terrible to now being occasionally good (but still cheap looking), so maybe it is doing better than expected?

Unless Ashihara told them far in advance what the upcoming arc are and they are proceeding with that knowledge in mind (which is likely given his comments) so they might have a good ending point that the manga hadn't reached yet.

Arcadius

Banned
Plastic Memories ep.4
Dammit, why must this show make it so difficult for me to hold back tears... There is always a great mixture of feelings you get from watching each episode; from joy & laughter to sadness & pain.although holding emotion back on this one is so tough at times..

Awwwww, don't hold back!!!

Danmachi - 04

Excellent episode ..i'm more and more tempted to "look ahead" because i want to know what happens next !

But i'll refrain for now.

Bell-kun is slowly expanding his influence ...

I've got some nice dragon crown vibes out of this show... maybe i should finish some of my games and restart dragon crown.

I need to finish fire emblem first !

Yes.

What they are doing is showing through visuals rather than explaining on some parts which is why some things may come off confusing.

Anyways the BD preorders seems to be doing well, so it might get a season 2. Though I really don't want to get my expectations to high to just get burnt.

This might sound insane, but might the anime get another 50 episodes?

I mean, it did improve from being terrible to now being occasionally good (but still cheap looking), so maybe it is doing better than expected?

Unless Ashihara told them far in advance what the upcoming arc are and they are proceeding with that knowledge in mind (which is likely given his comments) so they might have a good ending point that the manga hadn't reached yet.

I doubt it would get another 50. With that, it would easily overtake the manga and would most likely end up full original, or tons of filler. I doubt they're going to try and push this that much.

John Blade

Just wondering for those people who own DVD or Blu-ray collection of Anime, do you guys/girls watch the extra from them? Just going though my Anime collection back up and notice in the old DVD I own, they throw in tons of those extra. Most are either boring but they're quite a few that is interesting to watch. I am actually kinda want to setup a Youtube Page and upload all the extra in my back up for people to watch but kinda want to see if anyone really care about them.

Just wondering for those people who own DVD or Blu-ray collection of Anime, do you guys/girls watch the extra from them? Just going though my Anime collection back up and notice in the old DVD I own, they throw in tons of those extra. Most are either boring but they're quite a few that is interesting to watch. I am actually kinda want to setup a Youtube Page and upload all the extra in my back up for people to watch but kinda want to see if anyone really care about them.

Well for me it really depends on the series, like if it's one that I really adore I take my time to see everything in it including extras.

Having extra is always a Plus. if it's there i watch them at least once.

With Ys 6 coming Tuesday to steam combined with planning to pound out Ys 7 afterwards to finish the Ys series I'm probably going to fall behind on anime again like I did in January when I got hooked on Ys and played them basically non stop for about a month.

Trickster

BBB - 4

Loving this show so far. I'm surprised so many in here dislike it. I don't really mind that the show just throws new things at you each week without going into great detail about how or why it matters. I'm entertained each week by the characters, visuals, setting and action.

BBB - 4

Loving this show so far. I'm surprised so many in here dislike it. I don't really mind that the show just throws new things at you each week without going into great detail about how or why it matters. I'm entertained each week by the characters, visuals, setting and action.

Same here I'm not watching it for a deep plot but for the entertaining characters, immersive world, and music because the series isn't focusing on plot. That's not the main objective of the show. Even the pacing is fine to me because it fits the world they live in. I mean by any standards New York City which is depicted in the series is by no means slow but very busy and hectic. Plus I enjoy episodic series because most cases or not most series with a deep plot is usually mediocre than good. They are more mediocre stories than actual good ones.

What kind of extra you people will watch?

Director commentaries.
Specials

------------------------
Gunslinger Stratos - 04
Ah much better !

I was quite satisfied to see that at least everyone is aware that they acted like fools and have regrets toward what happenned last week. This mean that there is hope for this show.

So sidune got owned by her self made death flag ? Figures that was something like that.
Overall a nice episode, with things happenning and a welcome change of rules. Hopefully this will cause more thingsto shake up as our heroes will be told more truth bombs in the next episode.

Cornbread78

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun ep.1-2
Ok, so I started another one of your recs and so far, so good. There is a lot of humor built into and and it will be interesting to see how and when Nozaki finally figures out what is going on around him, well, that is if it is even a part of the show, lol. Sakura is a good character so far, this could be a fun follow and I need something fun because poor Isla's on my mind, lol.

Ok, so I started another one of your recs and so far, so good. There is a lot of humor built into and and it will be interesting to see how and when Nozaki finally figures out what is going on around him, well, that is if it is even a part of the show, lol. Sakura is a good character so far, this could be a fun follow and I need something fun because poor Isla's on my mind, lol.

She is Goat.
ce4.gif

Midonin

Jinki: Extend 01-04

From what I'm getting from Aoba, the premise seems to be "if someone who only played with Gunpla found themselves piloting a Gundam." The mecha action is alright, and the robots certainly lead towards the "real" side of things, more than the last few shows I've watched. That the action is barely set in space (at least so far) also adds to that. The training montage may have been my favorite part so far - heartwarming, shows Aoba becoming the hero she believes she can be, so on. Like the OP, and the ED is angela, so it's at least catchy. I don't trust her mother though, way too sketchy.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Just don't watch it for the romance, it really isn't that kind of show.

Jinki: Extend 01-04

From what I'm getting from Aoba, the premise seems to be "if someone who only played with Gunpla found themselves piloting a Gundam." The mecha action is alright, and the robots certainly lead towards the "real" side of things, more than the last few shows I've watched. That the action is barely set in space (at least so far) also adds to that. The training montage may have been my favorite part so far - heartwarming, shows Aoba becoming the hero she believes she can be, so on. Like the OP, and the ED is angela, so it's at least catchy. I don't trust her mother though, way too sketchy.
Oh wow this takes me back. I remember this was one of the shows that got me back into anime.

Stardust Crusaders 40

Pretty fun episode, normally I'd whine about cheap looking cg put for the in universe racing game it was surprisingly charming and gave me reboot flash backs. Alright episode though it's kind of annoying that we're so close to the end and we're stuck doing more gimmick fights.

Arcadius

Banned
Tamako Market

What an amazing slice of life anime! It's so pretty to watch, everything is fun. I love the music and sounds, I love the artstyle, I love the characters and I love the mochi loving story. The Opening and Ending are so upbeat and fun to listen to, puts a huge smile on my face. I also love the way the eyes were drawn, Tamako has beautiful eyes, as do all the girls in the anime, really breathtaking; I love Shiori's purple eyes too, really drawn to them. The entire anime used lovely colors, pastel and bright, like a paradise watching it all.

Only issue I had was near the end when everyone
kept ignoring Tamako's feelings towards the market and her mochi loving self
. In the end it worked out, but it was a little annoying.

Episode 9 was really touching too, put a tear to my face.

10/10, great anime that will put a smile on your face and make you and your heart feel all good. =)

Crocodile

BBB 4

The episode was certainly a bit "jumpy" for a lack of a better word but really the only bad thing I can say about this is that the show feels like it thinks it has 24-26 episodes to work with when apparently it only has 12. I can't say most of the cast is particularly developed as of now (and no way is there enough time to develop them all before the end) but I'm enjoying watching them interact. Watching a bunch of doofuses doofing it up in a supernatural take on NYC (this was the most true to NYC the show has been so far) trying to maintain the peace is fun. Early Trigun followed this pattern and I'm enjoying myself here too. I certainly recognize many of the animation shorcuts used here but the art and background work is still so strong that overall the show looks great. Great music too.

Nanoha Vivid - 04

Mahou%20Shoujo%20Lyrical%20Nanoha%20Vivid%20-%2004.jpg

Surprise !

Hum while this adaptation is following the source material closely , i d had completly forgotten about the downtime the show has ... not that it's bad , after all Einhart and vivio just fought last week , but i'm more intrested in the upcoming battle.
Still this episode was worth it alone , because i saw fate exhausted on the ground after a intense warm-up with nanoha and co.

So this episode , was , with all things considered , very good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So The GTO anime is fantastic, yes. Anyone know if the GTO live action drama series on Crunchyroll is worth watching?
I only watched the first season, but it's fine. Production-values wise, it looks better than the 90s version of the show anyway. I never finished the anime, but the jdrama opens exactly the same as the anime, so unless you are interested in getting a sense of the actors, you're going to be watching the exact same story again for the first few episodes.

The order to watch them in is 2012 - SP - Taiwan - 2014 just in case you are going down that road.
-----

Incidentally, I just noticed that they got the live action The Girl Who Leapt Through Time movie. I still think it's worth watching if you liked the anime film.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/time-traveller

cajunator

Banned
You can't separate a character from the writer's desires for that character, they were created to be used for that purpose. She was rendered a powerless goal for the protagonist because that's what the writer wanted. There's no point saying "don't blame the character" because they're a fictional character whose actions are totally dictated by the author. Her character is that she was a strong person originally before being sidelined as Kirito's love and final prize in ALO and then then being on the sidelines as one of his cheerleaders in GGO. Perhaps her character improves after that point, I wouldn't know as I gave up during the boredom of GGO, but that doesn't remove those terrible elements of her character. You could ignore that she was turned into a powerless object and spectator for a large part of the show but those events were still her written purpose.

Truth. Asuna just sucks. Theres no redeeming her or anyone in SAO except Sinon.

Sometimes but not as often as additional OVA or bonus episodes.
I watch commentaries for us films and sometimes foreign films but not so much anime.
im more concerned with artwork/artbooks/soundtracks as extras.

Cornbread78

Truth. Asuna just sucks. Theres no redeeming her or anyone in SAO except Sinon.

Ouch, she not moe enough for you Caj, hehe? Seriously though, she was alone to start and got strong by herself. Then after some time with Kirito she took his advice to heart and joined a guild. Much later, when they reunited, she finally came to grips with her feelings for Kirito she went onto a support role. Never mind, this is for the other guy, lol, but oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom