• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandelbo

Believe it or not, I know someone (offline) who hates Azumanga.

Like, seriously, I didn't know that possible.

I prefer the manga to the anime. Some of the jokes get dragged out for too long in the anime version imo.

The manga is godly, though, and it's probably the reason I got into manga and anime in the first place!

javac

There's always someone out there that hates the things we like.

I've seen people who think Gurren Lagann is a legit bad show. :(

I'm one of those people! Didn't like Lagann at all, but I guess that's well documented here. I pretty much hate everything and I'm a whiny bastard. I thought that Lagann had elements that were interesting, and on paper I can appreciate what they were going for but it didn't work for me at all. I think I gave it a 6/10 overall, my lowest score (lucky me!) from everything I've seen. Do I regret watching it? Not really, but man more then half of the cast were infuriating, the fan service was a hair away from making me puke all over myself and the action was boring as hell. Nothing compelling at all. I thought that the movies were a bit more palatable overall, if only because I didn't watch them back to back and they made some changes that I appreciated, including skipping or fast forwarding through some crap episodes. I think that the Japanese voice acting was better too. Fuck the English dub, grating as well. I actually liked the Parallel Works however, but I'm a sucker for shorts.

I'm one of those people! Didn't like Lagann at all, but I guess that's well documented here. I pretty much hate everything and I'm a whiny bastard. I thought that Lagann had elements that were interesting, and on paper I can appreciate what they were going for but it didn't work for me at all. I think I gave it a 6/10 overall, my lowest score (lucky me!) from everything I've seen. Do I regret watching it? Not really, but man more then half of the cast were infuriating, the fan service was a hair away from making me puke all over myself and the action was boring as hell. Nothing compelling at all. I thought that the movies were a bit more palatable overall, if only because I didn't watch them back to back and they made some changes that I appreciated, including skipping or fast forwarding through some crap episodes. I think that the Japanese voice acting was better too. Fuck the English dub, grating as well. I actually liked the Parallel Works however, but I'm a sucker for shorts.

No offense, but if you think Gurren Lagann's action is boring, then I'm not sure if I want to know what exciting action is to you.

If that was supossed to be a feel good moment, they f'ed it all up. Thsi is gona get tougher, isn't it?

Ah you didn't quite catch my drift. I was insinuating that the show is terribad, with the exception of roughly the last third of Afterstory, which is actually relatively well done, compared to the rest of the show anyways.

Though, keep watching if you enjoy it—I was initially thinking you implied disliking the show, not feeling down because of its content.

e:
No offense, but if you think Gurren Lagann's action is boring, then I'm not sure if I want to know what exciting action is to you.

Maybe something where the action sequences actually have any stakes at play and ... better choreography? I dunno, I liked the insane scaling, sure enough, but I can't recall being particularly impressed by most of the fighting choreography.

John Blade

Ep 3

Very sweet episode as you see the two main characters, Yume Kikuchi and Angela Brooks trying to help one of the person with her wish and fail miserably but at the end she got her wish which is basically to be in the news so her boyfriend who is in jail will see her and tell him she still love him. Nothing crazy here to say but a sweet fun episode to watch. Also, you start to see more about Angela Brooks and her personality out front.

Ep 4

Kinda same as the previous one but this time, you see Yume Kikuchi helping a boy for his wish to see the moon for his favorite teacher. Both her and the boy manage to pull it off and you see a fun scene where they're at the moon having a picnic together with they friend to say goodbye for the teacher. Unfortunately, this cause a massive issue with the government who regulate the mage power and look like it will piss some people off.

Overall, still liking the simple but strong story with the main character. Want to see where it will go now the government side is getting piss with Yume Kikuchi and her use of the power. Also, we also see a new character near the end of Episode 4. Want to see who this guy is.

Arcadius

Banned
I've been out of this thread for quite some time, so umm, are you like a v2 of Cajunator or something?

That's a super nice compliment. Cajunator has given me recommendations and I do like/love the cute moe stuff and the word squee is pretty great too, thanks to Cajun I can now use it more often! =) I have a while before I can get on Cajun's level of cute consumption, hehe, thanks though!

Cajunator v2, my day just keeps getting better!

javac

Man it was just so fucking boring, I can't even explain it. I'm not trying to be edgy either, or too cool for anime school because trust me, I splashed out for the Blu-ray set and everything. Watched it all with my little brother who loved it, but the action is just crap, like most of the action in any given anime. I admit that the ending to the film is a bit better in terms of cleaning up the action, and it has its little moments like when
Simon sticks his core drill into Lordgenome, which was/is badass,
but the fighting itself is just lame. The bad guys are just disposable trash outside of maybe Viral, who put up zero fight whatsoever outside of that ONE major plot point which I don't what to spoil, but everyone and their grandma knows about during episode
. Bah, the whole show left one massive, gigantic bad taste in my mouth. The end was supposed to be this huge ass fight, and I just felt bored and tuned out. Props to you if you liked it, but these types of shows aren't for me at all.

EDIT:
Maybe something where the action sequences actually have any stakes at play and ... better choreography?
I hate it when people act like they're surprised they find out that they aren't the only one when it comes to certain subjects, but fuck I'm really not the only one.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Hey guys, sorry if this is a stupid question. Is there a genre name for the sort of cheerful/bubbly music often heard in rom coms or slice of life?

Kind of like "Cats on mars" in Cowboy Bebop.

Maybe something where the action sequences actually have any stakes at play and ... better choreography? I dunno, I liked the insane scaling, sure enough, but I can't recall being particularly impressed by most of the fighting choreography.

Uh....the action sequences DID have stakes. I mean, the last few episodes it was
destroy the Anti-Spirals or everyone in the universe gets slaughtered.

The excitement value comes more from the scaling than it does from the fighting choreography. I remember watching episode 22 for the first time wondering how
they were gonna stop the moon from crashing into the Earth. And what's their plan? "Hey let's combine with the ship and become a bigger robot. HEY, let's combine with the MOON and become an even BIGGER robot!

It's also a matter of stating just how far all the characters come by the end of the show. All the suffering, losses, and evolution all leads up to that one final showdown that will decide the fate of everything.

Is that sort of thing very clichéd in anime? Yes. But it's how they embrace that cliché and just go all out with it and make it the most beautiful, brilliant spectacle that they can is what makes the action in Gurren Lagann exciting.

Name one other anime where the final showdown consists of
the villain merging two galaxies together to hit the heroes with a literal big bang
, and then we can talk about boring.

Puruzi

Banned
Wait Gurren Lagann is supposed to be good?

9Yqh9tW.jpg

That new Yahari poster NSFW with Yui and Yukino

t1saHJW.gif

I feel better already.

I admire your perseverance.

If they haven't reached 3rd part yet, wouldn't that mean they aim to prolong this arc till fall ?

Unless a miracle occurs and they just go "Nope, no 3rd part, exam is over, everyone with both scrolls is now a chunin" then probably.

Cornbread78

You have no idea.

ruh roh?

Ah you didn't quite catch my drift. I was insinuating that the show is terribad, with the exception of roughly the last third of Afterstory, which is actually relatively well done, compared to the rest of the show anyways.

Though, keep watching if you enjoy it—I was initially thinking you implied disliking the show, not feeling down because of its content.

I'm actually not sure how I feel about he show so far as a whole, but it's a very interesting slice of life sorta thing right now. Parts are funny, parts are boring, parts are confusing, and parts are super sad.....

Uh....the action sequences DID have stakes. I mean, the last few episodes it was

The excitement value comes more from the scaling than it does from the fighting choreography. I remember watching episode 22 for the first time wondering how
they were gonna stop the moon from crashing into the Earth. And what's their plan? "Hey let's combine with the ship and become a bigger robot. HEY, let's combine with the MOON and become an even BIGGER robot!

It's also a matter of stating just how far all the characters come by the end of the show. All the suffering, losses, and evolution all leads up to that one final showdown that will decide the fate of everything.

Is that sort of thing very clichéd in anime? Yes. But it's how they embrace that cliché and just go all out with it and make it the most beautiful, brilliant spectacle that they can is what makes the action in Gurren Lagann exciting.

Name one other anime where the final showdown consists of
the villain merging two galaxies together to hit the heroes with a literal big bang
, and then we can talk about boring.

It's about the perceived stakes, which I feel are low. I mean that's not really surprising in a show that's literally about overcoming anything by believing in yourself. Even just a few episodes in you're already understanding that this show can conjure up anything at any point to let the protagonists overcome all odds.

I'm even somewhat fine with that because it's pretty much the premise of the show, however, that still makes it inherently more difficult for the audience to care about the battles. It can still be achieved by investing your audience in the characters and by having sublime fight choreographies. Additionally, if there's a well uphold internal logic to how they manage to continuously 'do the impossible' I'll certainly appreciate that (the show was alright in that regard).

But yeh, as I mentioned, other than the insane scaling the fights didn't do much for me and the characters are my major weak spot of TTGL.

Jex

I've just read through you post, nintendoman58 and, speaking from experience, it looks like you're coming dangerously close to committing a cardinal internet sin. Specifically, you're only a few steps away from trying to change another persons gut reaction to a piece of art. That's not something that can be done easily. I've fallen into this trap myself on many occasions but it's best to avoid heading down this path.

I can understand where you're coming from, but the only things you can really argue with NaDannMaGoGo about very limited factual areas of discussion. For example, it's fine to pull on comments regarding stakes because obviously the story in TTGL has clearly defined stakes and so that part of the post is clearly inaccurate. NaDannMaGoGo's initial post could have been worded better but it's clear that he didn't find the stakes within the show to be very meaningful and once you reach that level of the argument you've once again run into a brick wall - another persons gut reaction to a piece of art. There's no arguing with that.

Now, I know that you just want to explain why you personally like the show, which is fine, but ultimately it has little bearing on the discussion. If you boil down the salient points it's clear that NaDannMaGoGo and javac have fundamentally different experiences of this show than you have. There's really nothing else to say here.

With regards to the comments about TTGL's fight choreography I have to agree that, on a fundamental level, there's very few genuinely interesting tactical encounters (besides some encounters with Viral, I suppose). That's not a problem for TTGL though because, like most (all?) super robot shows, the fights are about other things. They're exciting because of the way characters are interacting with each other, or because of perceived stakes (emotional or otherwise), or because of unusual characteristics of the fights/combatants (huge sizes, special powers etc). The combat is bombastical and theatrical and over the top - all things which TTGL does better than most shows in it's genre.

However, if you have no interest in that style of show or specifically any attention to TTGL then you won't really care about what's going on. Which is fine, it's not for everyone. TTGL is certainly more accessible than most (all?) super robot shows but it still can't be expected to have universal appeal.

javac

It's about the perceived stakes, which I feel are low. I mean that's not really surprising in a show that's literally about overcoming anything by believing in yourself. Even just a few episodes in you're already understanding that this show can conjure up anything at any point to let the protagonists overcome all odds.

I'm even somewhat fine with that because it's pretty much the premise of the show, however, that still makes it inherently more difficult for the audience to care about the battles. It can still be achieved by investing your audience in the characters and by having sublime fight choreographies. Additionally, if there's a well uphold internal logic to how they manage to continuously 'do the impossible' I'll certainly appreciate that (the show was alright in that regard).

But yeh, as I mentioned, other than the insane scaling the fights didn't do much for me and the characters are my major weak spot of TTGL.

100% agreed. Never once did I feel that a fight was earned, or a hurdle was overcome, as everything was victory by default. There was never a "oh shit how is this going to end?" scenario for me, or any tension whatsoever, and like I said, I have to say that the show wears this on its sleeve with pride, so I can't act surprised at the notion that the protagonists can conjure up anything and everything at a click of a finger, but make for a compelling fight it does not. Nobody was ever a threat, even
galaxies being flinged
were merely shrugged off. Never once did I feel as if the characters had grown, or adhered to any logic whatsoever which makes it very hard for me to really give a damn about anything on screen. The fights weren't even entertaining to watch or fun either, which would at least alleviate a lot of the boredom that ensued.

Thoraxes

100% agreed. Never once did I feel that a fight was earned, or a hurdle was overcome, as everything was victory by default. There was never a "oh shit how is this going to end?" scenario for me, or any tension whatsoever, and like I said, I have to say that the show wears this on its sleeve with pride, so I can't act surprised at the notion that the protagonists can conjure up anything and everything at a click of a finger, but make for a compelling fight it does not. Nobody was ever a threat, even
galaxies being flinged
were merely shrugged off. Never once did I feel as if the characters had grown, or adhered to any logic whatsoever which makes it very hard for me to really give a damn about anything on screen. The fights weren't even entertaining to watch or fun either, which would at least alleviate a lot of the boredom that ensued.

What?

Midonin

Punchline 04

Whenever I see it brought up for a romantic comedy, "it's really about the girls" always seems like it's being said with an air of resignation. Yuuta can't inherently affect much by being a literal observer, but perhaps it's best not to think of a protagonist as "self-insert", but rather a way to view the world. A baseline. If cynicism is treated as a baseline, then the entire story can change perspective. And while the camera is always kind of following Yuuta, in moments like Rabura's moment alone with the NSA guy, the camera isn't on him at all. We're supposed to be empathizing with her, even as we maintain a degree of separation knowing exactly why she said those weird things she did.

The scene at the end with Ito makes me realize this is scratching an itch that hasn't really been attended to since Higurashi ended - even though tonally it's closer to Kira - and the knowledge that Mika
comes from a lab of sorts and needs medicine in order to survive
does paint it in a Grisaia-esque way where everyone has a tragedy... but that's how life is. Everyone's working to overcome something.

I'm not sure if it's my favorite show of the season, but four episodes in, it's my favorite to think about. And it all begins with its love of wordplay.

Thoraxes

Which part of that paragraph containing 160 words would you like me to explain? I'd be happy to assist.

All of it really. Earning fights, lack of tension, compelling battles, nobody being a threat, no character growth, boring fights, etc.

I pretty much disagree with everything you said and feel like everything happened the exact opposite for me. I get you didn't like it, but your points strike me as really weird because my opinions are the polar opposite of yours.

I'm guessing we both just watched it with different amounts of enthusiasm/engagement or something, because I found it really easy to give a damn about what happened in the show. Caring about the characters and the story is not something that comes easily for me too, but TTGL really engaged me in a way i've only experienced with a small handful of shows. I also watched it when I was totally outside of anime for a 5 year period when a friend recommended it to me on a whim so I had no external influence to sway me or my impressions. All I knew was that it was a 2 season show my friend asked me to watch with him. It was a 100% blind watch for me.

I won't be able to give you a good response because i'll be on mobile for the next 12 hours though.

javac

Next up:

Reaction pic PLUS 'what' tag!

It'd all make sense then :p But really, the pure shock that some display when you say that you didn't enjoy Lagann, even when you try and go into detail in regards to why you didn't is truly fascinating. I mean I get it, it's a beloved show, but its not like I went into it wanting it to be bad, quite the opposite really! I just found the show very very boring.

PK Gaming

Well I can't fault you for your honesty. I don't agree, but I get where you're coming from.

I also happen to dislike a couple of well-received anime... of course, there's no chance in hell that i'll tell anyone, haha.

Jex

Folks, it isn't that crazy for someone to dislike something you like! It's well within expected parameters, frankly. There's no need to treat people who stray from the norm like they're crazy or unusual. Plenty of people don't like show X. There are even people who enjoy show Y!

Of course, it's helpful for people to go into detail about why they don't like something but I feel javac and NaDannMaGoGo has been pretty clear and thorough. It's not like their just drive-by posters casually murdering a sacred cow.

Thoraxes

Mostly for Cajun, but this just came in the mail before I have to leave for work:

I'll take more pics of the insides when I get home because those seem to get a lot of views.

Folks, it isn't that crazy for someone to dislike something you like! It's well within expected parameters, frankly. There's no need to treat people who stray from the norm like they're crazy or unusual. Plenty of people don't like show X.

Of course, it's helpful for people to go into detail about why they don't like something but I feel javac and NaDannMaGoGo has been pretty clear and thorough.

That's why we're discussing it? I don't think anyone has made any personal attacks or anything.

Everytime I say that I think Hyouka is a not a good show I always get way worse responses than he has.

I've just read through you post, nintendoman58 and, speaking from experience, it looks like you're coming dangerously close to committing a cardinal internet sin. Specifically, you're only a few steps away from trying to change another persons gut reaction to a piece of art. That's not something that can be done easily. I've fallen into this trap myself on many occasions but it's best to avoid heading down this path.

I can understand where you're coming from, but the only things you can really argue with NaDannMaGoGo about very limited factual areas of discussion. For example, it's fine to pull on comments regarding stakes because obviously the story in TTGL has clearly defined stakes and so that part of the post is clearly inaccurate. NaDannMaGoGo's initial post could have been worded better but it's clear that he didn't find the stakes within the show to be very meaningful and once you reach that level of the argument you've once again run into a brick wall - another persons gut reaction to a piece of art. There's no arguing with that.

Now, I know that you just want to explain why you personally like the show, which is fine, but ultimately it has little bearing on the discussion. If you boil down the salient points it's clear that NaDannMaGoGo and javac have fundamentally different experiences of this show than you have. There's really nothing else to say here.

I was going to type up another response, but after reading this, yeah you're right. There's just really no arguing when it comes to how a show resonates with someone in the end.

I was mostly just befuddled as to how someone could find TTGL of all things boring. But really thinking about it, I guess that's the same as an Ano Hana fan wondering why someone else didn't cry at the end of it. People just have different reasons for why they enjoy what they enjoy and why they dislike what they dislike, and trying to change them is pretty much a futile effort.

javac

All of it really. Earning fights, lack of tension, compelling battles, nobody being a threat, no character growth, boring fights, etc.

I pretty much disagree with everything you said and feel like everything happened the exact opposite for me. I get you didn't like it, but your points strike me as really weird because my opinions are the polar opposite of yours.

I'm guessing we both just watched it with different amounts of enthusiasm/engagement or something, because I found it really easy to give a damn about what happened in the show. Caring about the characters and the story is not something that comes easily for me too, but TTGL really engaged me in a way i've only experienced with a small handful of shows.

I won't be able to give you a good response because i'll be on mobile for the next 12 hours though.

I mean that's fine. Believe me, I'm not trying to exaggerate my disdain for lagann, as I'm just writing exactly how I felt and how I still feel in regards to the show and how much it engaged me, or lack thereof. I'm a VERY emotional person, and I think that's clear when I described how I cried while watching Flash Back 2012 lmao, it can be cringy stuff to read I'm sure, but I take shit to heart. I cried at the end of Macross, my throat was in my mouth during Patlabor 2, my lips couldn't stop trembling at the end of Grave of the Fireflies, I was a teary mess at the end of Gunbuster and Giant Robo and so on and so forth.

Lagann did absolutely nothing for me at all. Episode
hit me, but that's as far as it went. I didn't care for Nia, Yoko made me want to shoot myself, the cast and crew just fell flat for me and I've written in the past how I think Rossiu added much needed emotion and weight to the series which you all laughed at, and that's fine, but overall, the cast wasn't compelling for me at all, so I didn't care what they went out to achieve.

Jex

That's why we're discussing it? I don't think anyone has made any personal attacks or anything.
Sure, thoroughly interrogating someone's position is a pretty normal thing to do.
Everytime I say that I think Hyouka is a not a good show I always get way worse responses than he has.
I can certainly remember that being the case and, I'd argue, that such a reaction is unwarranted. I can fully sympathise with people who find Hyouka boring because it's really not for everyone.

Thoraxes

Sure, thoroughly interrogating someone's position is a pretty normal thing to do.

I can certainly remember that being the case and, I'd argue, that such a reaction is unwarranted. I can fully sympathise with people who find Hyouka boring.

You're a good person, Jex. I always enjoy your level of discourse. (seriously)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The only thing notable about Kill Me Baby was the OP!

Also poor kayos. No wonder he left.
sort of feel bad for :kayos now. :p

I can certainly remember that being the case and, I'd argue, that such a reaction is unwarranted. I can fully sympathise with people who find Hyouka boring because it's really not for everyone.
Nothing's for everyone anymore. We just live in a era with infinite options, where you can find some obscure French show on Netflix and love it before someone in America decides to remake it, so even the zeitgeist thing is dead now.

javac

I actually enjoyed this discussion by the way, I barely get a chance to have a conversation with anyone so its nice every once in a while to have one, since its obvious that my tastes deviate from many others, and the fact that I don't watch anything 'current', so its fun I guess, even if its always due to pissing off a bunch of people :p

Jex

I just want to add that I'm only writing about this area of internet discussion because I've personally been there before. I've enjoyed my fair share of gif reaction posts in the past but they don't really change anyone's mind or further the conversation on a given topic. It's fun to do, sure, and it effectively communicates how outrageous you find another persons opinion to be but it has little utilitarian value and it's hardly the cleverest response to make.
The only thing notable about Kill Me Baby was the OP!

The title's pretty good, too.
Nothing's for everyone anymore. We just live in a era with infinite options, where you can find some obscure French show on Netflix and love it before someone in America decides to remake it, so even the zeitgeist thing is dead now.
Marvel Studios.

I mean these kinds of discussions are partially why we're here to begin with.

The only real problematic thing would be personal attacks for liking/disliking certain shows and that kind of crap is nigh non-existent here. The one time I recall, which was recently and a comment pertaining to Cornbread78 and SAO, that shit got smothered real quickly.

At the same time I also appreciate being able to talk negatively about a show. There's been a few instances were people weren't quite happy with people voicing such a negative opinion on a show, but they too got shut up.

Jex

I was going to type up another response, but after reading this, yeah you're right. There's just really no arguing when it comes to how a show resonates with someone in the end.

I was mostly just befuddled as to how someone could find TTGL of all things boring. But really thinking about it, I guess that's the same as an Ano Hana fan wondering why someone else didn't cry at the end of it. People just have different reasons for why they enjoy what they enjoy and why they dislike what they dislike, and trying to change them is pretty much a futile effort.

I personally didn't have a problem with anything you were saying, I just thought that I might be able to save you a little bit of time because it was clear that going further down that path wasn't going to go anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom