• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Promotional art for Monster Musume

Miia NSFW

Ye8BRen.jpg

javac

I've got a cool OVA that I'm planing to watch over the weekend, and I'm super excited to watch it. Hopefully people will find it interesting once you find out just what it is and my thoughts on it, but I'll leave you all on the edges of your seats for now! :p It's kind of obscure, and I'm champing at the bit to watch it. It's been a long time coming, hope I enjoy it.

sonicmj1

Joke subs are terrible and always less funny than the original material.

Excuse me sir, but Viewster is an official simulcaster of Ninja Slayer in numerous international territories, such as Italy and Singapore. And given the source material, broadcasting in 4:3 and an intentional parody of American perceptions of what "ninja" means, those subs are very true to the spirit of the work.

Since they are part of an official simulcast, if Trigger is dissatisfied with those subtitles, they're free to voice their displeasure.

cajunator

Banned
I've got a cool OVA that I'm planing to watch over the weekend, and I'm super excited to watch it. Hopefully people will find it interesting once you find out just what it is and my thoughts on it, but I'll leave you all on the edges of your seats for now! :p It's kind of obscure, and I'm champing at the bit to watch it. It's been a long time coming, hope I enjoy it.

Watch Gunsmith Cats

cj_iwakura

With Toradora off my CR queue, the oldest left are down to: Another, The Idolm@ster, Kimi no Todoke, The World God Only Knows, and the Hakuoki prequel(which seemed really great).

Preferences?

I wonder, is there somewhere a decent, enlightening write up on the division of responsibilites between show's overall director and people who direct individual episodes ? To my mind, especially with the addition of people responsible for storyboards, it makes trying to pin virtues and vices of singular episodes to one person mightily hard and confusing. Shirobako kind of skipped the issue by having only one director for all episodes. ( I think he did all storyboards too ?) There was that one outsourced episode but they never went in depth about what was going there.

I assume the overall directors have rather strong grip on things given that, outside of SSY 5(6?) and 10 or some long running shounens, most shows, I can think of, tend to stick to one continous style more or less. But I'm kinda curious how the division of labour works in practice

It's all in learning certain people's traits in what they bring to a show. Yamada wanted to experiment with lens effects in Tamako Love Story, so when we see that in Euphonium, it's quite probable that's from her (as well as leg scenes).

Essentially, here's how the episodes boil down:

Series composition: involves director, series composer and/or any representative/author that is desired; ex: Haruhi credits Tanigawa with series assistance for his input
Scenario/script composition: Series composer (or script writer) writes the script and gets approved by director
Storyboards: Drawn by artists and approved by director (and/or series director first for series that have that, not repeating this every time)
Layouts: Drawn by key animators and approved by episode director before going to director.
Key frames: go to episode director and then series director in conjunction with animation director to maintain character consistency
In-betweens: go to in-between checker and then directors
Painting: get checked by color coordinator and then ED and D.
Photography: get approved by ED and D.

Basically your ED will check off on everything for that episode and move on while the director has to check over everything. Generally this gives a lot of freedom to your episode directors, but certain things can get added in by requests (and from other places too; Adachi was adamant about Suguha's bust in the Extra Edition feature). Generally we'll discover what they focused on in interviews and can apply it elsewhere. Otherwise it's just easier to credit the episode director if that only shows up in that episode.

Shame, it seems like it has potential, although the pilot must be one heck of a set-up.

Another would have been better as a movie. As a TV series it just drags on and on. Last 2 or so episodes can be entertaining though. Even if for most people here for the wrong reasons...

Cornbread78

With Toradora off my CR queue, the oldest left are down to: Another, The Idolm@ster, Kimi no Todoke, The World God Only Knows, and the Hakuoki prequel(which seemed really great).

Preferences?

I watched 3/4 of Kimi no Todoke (From Me to You) and stopped. It has a completely different feel from your normal romcom, which is fresh, but the lead girl is almost insufferable to follow at times. I haven't seen the other ones yet, but I'd be interested in impressions of The World God Only Knows as I've seen it pop up on several lists. If you want something a little more emotionally charged, I just finished ef- A Tale of Memories. It starts pretty slow, then explodes towards the end.

cajunator

Banned
Don't worry, it's in my planned to watch list, along with Dirty Pair, Bubblegum Crisis and You're Under Arrest! but what I've got planned for the weekend is totally different! I doubt many people even here have seen it :p

I look forward to finding out.

javac

I look forward to finding out.

Haha I doubt anyone will care once I post it, its some old obscure OVA, and I'm not even sure if I'm going to like it, but I'm still very excited to give it a watch! :p Thanks in any case, I'll definitely share once I watch it.
Please be good!

Arcadius

Banned
Yuyushiki

Ahhh, this was fantastic to watch! A great slice of life involving three girls, Yui, Yuzu and Yukari, just living their lives and doing random, ridiculous and funny things. I love the Opening and Ending used for the anime, the songs work so well and have an amazingly upbeat and happy feel to it, makes you want to continue watching until you've finished it. I love the colors used and the way it's all animated, a very pretty anime to watch, for sure. Favorite thing about Yuyushiki would be the faces that the girls make, their eyes would change so many times indicating many different emotions making the comedy so much funnier. I also love the word play that they use, the repetition of words or making words sound cute, ahh, squee worthy stuff!

Would recommend if you like Azumanga Daiou.

10/10!!!

Gotta catch 'em all
Gotta pet them all.

I watched 3/4 of Kimi no Todoke (From Me to You) and stopped. It's got a completely different feel from your normal romcom, which is fresh, but the lead girl is almost insufferable to follow at times. I haven't seen the other ones yet, but I'd be interested in impressions of The World God Only Knows as I've seen it pop up on several lists. If you want something a little more emotionally charged, I just finished ef- A Tale of Memories. It starts pretty slow, then explodes towards the end.

The world god only knows is very good..it plays on the generic premise found in so many manga/anime/vns and have fun with them. A definitive recommendation.

Yuyushiki

Ahhh, this was fantastic to watch! A great slice of life involving three girls, Yui, Yuzu and Yukari, just living their lives and doing random, ridiculous and funny things. I love the Opening and Ending used for the anime, the songs work so well and have an amazingly upbeat and happy feel to it, makes you want to continue watching until you've finished it. I love the colors used and the way it's all animated, a very pretty anime to watch, for sure. Favorite thing about Yuyushiki would be the faces that the girls make, their eyes would change so many times indicating many different emotions making the comedy so much funnier. I also love the word play that they use, the repetition of words or making words sound cute, ahh, squee worthy stuff!

Would recommend if you like Azumanga Daiou.

10/10!!!

You watched Hidamari Sketch yet? You should watch Hidamari Sketch.

Oh, and Clannad ;p

Arcadius

Banned
You watched Hidamari Sketch yet? You should watch Hidamari Sketch.

Oh, and Clannad ;p

I plan on watching Hidamari Sketch and anything/everything related to Hidamari Sketch soon.

Won't watch Clannad or ~After Story~ for a little bit, after watching Kanon and Full Moon, I cried a lot and was really sad/happy. I believe Clannad is another emotional story, so I'm filling myself up with happiness and fun first!

Squishy3

Ore Monogatri/My Love Story 03

Suna really is a total bro. This is going to be just as enjoyable a bromance as it is a romance anime.

I missed a discussion about how Gurren Lagan sucks? Because it does, just like all of Imaishi's works.

By that token, is Transformers for everyone? I know the only Marvel movie that I like is the one that seemingly everyone seems to hate (Iron Man 3), so I dunno. Heck, even the Nolan Batman movies aren't for everyone, and that was the pinnacle of summer blockbusters for a while.

While I like some other Marvel movies (some of them even quite a bit), I certainly agree that Iron Man 3 is the best, and it's not even particularly close. It's a shame that so many people can't appreciate it.

I plan on watching Hidamari Sketch and anything/everything related to Hidamari Sketch soon.

Won't watch Clannad or ~After Story~ for a little bit, after watching Kanon and Full Moon, I cried a lot and was really sad/happy. I believe Clannad is another emotional story, so I'm filling myself up with happiness and fun first!

Oh, ok. Just make sure you got another happy and fun show for after you've finished Clannad. ;p

Arcadius

Banned
Oh, ok. Just make sure you got another happy and fun show for after you've finished Clannad. ;p

I think the Aria animations would be okay right? Hehehe. There is a lot of happy out there to watch, so I should be fine. I'm a bit emotional/sensitive to this stuff, so I need the preparation!

Phatmac

Finally caught up with all of Gintama and I'm glad that I did. It's easily one of my favorite shows in general. Despite some crud humor the overall jokes and characters are truly special in many different ways. The voice acting especially for Gintoki is remarkable. I usually had a laugh for most episodes but that's not what makes it amazing. It can also have serious arcs which are awesome. I can't recommend it enough.

John Blade

What year this OVA was made? Also, did it release in North America or just in Japan ? Either way, hope you like it and maybe tell us once you're finish watching it.

For me, I am actually extracting my Anime collection into my Hard drive and this time I include the extra as I might post it sometime on youtube for people to watch. I might start from the extra from You're Under Arrest TV show which I own the DVD. I wonder how many people will want to watch it as they're tons to watch.

Finally caught up with all of Gintama and I'm glad that I did. It's easily one of my favorite shows in general. Despite some crud humor the overall jokes and characters are truly special in many different ways. The voice acting especially for Gintoki is remarkable. I usually had a laugh for most episodes but that's not what makes it amazing. It can also have serious arcs which are awesome. I can't recommend it enough.

Have you started on the new season of Gintama?

javac

What year this OVA was made? Also, did it release in North America or just in Japan ? Either way, hope you like it and maybe tell us once you're finish watching it.
Thanks! It was released in 1989, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't released outside of Japan.

For me, I am actually extracting my Anime collection into my Hard drive and this time I include the extra as I might post it sometime on youtube for people to watch. I might start from the extra from You're Under Arrest TV show which I own the DVD. I wonder how many people will want to watch it as they're tons to watch.

Sounds interesting, let me know how it goes! I'm planning to watch You're Under Arrest myself in the not to distant future, looks really cool :p

KanameYuuki

I'm really enjoying Etotama, I really like self aware shows with that pull crap out of nowhere element, and everything is just so cute (> ~ <), shame about Houkago no Pleiades, I haven't watched ep 4 but I hope the anime gets more interesting.

Midonin

Spice & Wolf 04-06

Yeah, I can see how this marked the end of the first novel. The title drop seals it. While my mind kinda started wandering with all the trading and silver coin stuff, the relationship between Lawrence and Holo, that I get. Of course her motivation to stay with him ultimately has to do with money-related matters, but I think there's more to it than that. Even though the work is in a European-ish setting, there's this very Japanese sense of living in one with nature running through it. Works made in Japan, from Index to Maria, have never been all that hot on the Western idea of a church (I can only imagine why), and Lawrence is simply the first person who's seeing Holo not as a magical harvest machine, but as someone with her own desires and goals and dreams. I now realize all of those are kind of the same thing.

I can see why this series rose to the top when the fandom was separating the wheat from the chaff, and while it probably won't break into my list of favorites, these first six episodes have been a very pleasant watch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I will be joining him in celebration of all things Marvel tomorrow as well.
It's perfectly fine in an average, vanilla kind of way.

I thought he found it to be sort of dissapointing?
Yes. I was being cute. lol

I missed a discussion about how Gurren Lagan sucks? Because it does, just like all of Imaishi's works.

While I like some other Marvel movies (some of them even quite a bit), I certainly agree that Iron Man 3 is the best, and it's not even particularly close. It's a shame that so many people can't appreciate it.
Yeah, it makes me wish Shane Black was in charge of the Marvel films. It'd be... marvelous!
But everything that I like about the movie is what most people seem to hate about it, so... yeah.

Cornbread78

Clannad ep12-14
As mentally taxing this show can be, I'm really liking it. It was a ride to get there, but it was also a beautiful way to end the arc. It was original and unexpected, but worked really well in the context of the story. Also got some good back story for the protagonist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom