• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Tsukikage no Tokio

The script was weird, but not as incomprehensible as I thought it might be coming from Suda51. The bookend sections felt superfluous, but the short was worth watching just for the diversity of visual styles on display:

Oh right, I forgot it's from Suda. Makes perfect sense now.

sukikage no Tokio

Some cool artstyle variation, but mostly complete nonsense. Sasuga Suda51. If only Shinbo worked on this so we could have the two greatest "People who Don't Actually Exist" be "together" at last

I don't want to say it was Syrinx's fault...but it was Syrinx's fault.

We mentioned Angel Beats a lot earlier ;p

Ha!

Anyways, anyone want to catch me up on what people thought about this last season? I just watched a crap ton of anime over the past few months since I've been gone and would like to know what anime people have been enjoying/not enjoying. Also just some general catch up with everyone.

Don't worry, Mike, I'll tone down the Key talking. I know it's not a popular opinion to hold. I would much rather be talking about new anime at this point anyways. I have a long queue of shows I plan on posting "reviews" on that I recently finished including Samurai Flamenco, Parasyte and Your Lie in April.

Ha!

Don't worry, Mike, I'll tone down the Key talking. I know it's not a popular opinion to hold. I would much rather be talking about new anime at this point anyways. I have a long queue of shows I plan on posting "reviews" on that I recently finished including Samurai Flamenco, Parasyte and Your Lie in April.

Hey. We did mention Angel Beats earlier. Check the last 3-4 pages.

Ha!

Anyways, anyone want to catch me up on what people thought about this last season? I just watched a crap ton of anime over the past few months since I've been gone and would like to know what anime people have been enjoying/not enjoying. Also just some general catch up with everyone.

Try Shirobako. Seems to be the most favored show of the past two seasons around here.

Hello, AnimeGAF. It's been a while...

Just in time for the newest KEY anime starring Lelouch Vi Britannia!

Ha!

And yet you never posted that TTGL review. :p

Anyways, if I had to recommend you another show that I'd think you'd LOVE, check out Steins;Gate. It's not a new show, but man oh man it is a fun ride. And no, not the Samurai Flamenco kind of ride. :p

Very nice, I still wish it was native on Vita, but I'vehaving a good time with it, great job to the team!

Alright, about to boot up Nisekoi for the first time.

Thank you!

I'll give the team your compliment. :)

Hey. We did mention Angel Beats earlier. Check the last 3-4 pages.

Yeah! I see. I've known about Charlotte for a while now but I wasn't sure if we saw anything other then that first PV. Now we got a second one. Will check out the trailer. Glad I am not alone. :,)

Try Shirobako. Seems to be the most favored show of the past two seasons around here.

Will need to see a trailer for that one before I commit. Nintendoman and Mike keeps tabs on me on Twitter so really I've been getting to their requests first. Still need to finish Ef.

Just in time for the newest KEY anime starring Lelouch Vi Britannia!

And yet you never posted that TTGL review. :p

Anyways, if I had to recommend you another show that I'd think you'd LOVE, check out Steins;Gate. It's not a new show, but man oh man it is a fun ride. And no, not the Samurai Flamenco kind of ride. :p

Did I never do one!? I swear to God I did. I think I even have a draft of the review on my iPad. Damn it all. I'll have to post it.

Edit: Damn it. I lost it. I think I used it's template to make the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Review all the way back when. I could make a new one but I have a fuzzy memory of certain episodes.

Short Review: Watch Gurren Lagaan.

Robotguy

I wonder if the Greg Bear book is any good. Anyway it's certainly an interesting theory, although I'm sure is false, to draw upon.
I enjoyed it. I read read Blood Music and watched E7 a long time ago, but I didn't notice the connection until more recently when I happened to reread/rewatch them within the same month or so. I feel like knowing what it was referencing does give me a better insight into the limit of life/ limit of questions.
Also, I'm sure the ending events of Blood Music were "based on" quantum mechanics, but it's in no way an accurate representation, nor do I really believe it was intended to be.

I really hope PA Works gives Charlotte good animation. Glasslip was beautiful but was a serious let down because NOTHING HAPPENED! If they can put in the same animation budget for Charlotte like they did for Glasslip then it could be awesome!

Veitsev

I really hope PA Works gives Charlotte good animation. Glasslip was beautiful but was a serious let down because NOTHING HAPPENED! If they can put in the same animation budget for Charlotte like they did for Glasslip then it could be awesome!

PA Works is consistently awesome on the animation front.

Dennou Coil - 16~20
ccUrtXh.jpg
MFNtKhj.jpg

Holy wow a lot happened here.

16- Very much needed development on Amasawa is delivered here and I totally love it. They're definitely going out of their way now to establish the "other worldly" nature of the virtual world overlayed on top of their physical one.
17- A lot of this is setup. Clarification on the specific urban legends and mythology regarding metabugs, one's cyberbody, and the "other side" before launching head first into a scenario that tackles it head on.
18~19- Suddenly
horror show. The whole concept of a desynchronization between the cyber body and the physical body and, by extension, one's physical body and their consciousness is pretty damn neat. And while I'm sure that we've gone completely off the deep end in terms of trying to explain this through any sort of SciFi-y framework (a random super intelligence arising within the network maybe?) I can't be too displeased with the way the specific events have played themselves out. Its taken a while but with this I think the show's finally been able to hook me. I've enjoyed the series up until this point but I was missing an urge to watch more than a single episode at a time.
20 - Man,
the "Null" huh? Definitely an ominous name for the beings defined as "Dangerous Illegals". Gonna be interesting to see how Miss Mitchiki fits within this and after this set of events I'm deeply interested in seeing more of the nature of the Null and the mystery of Miss Mitchiki. Given their current actions and looking back at the behavior of the illegals up until this point (specifically with their wanting to possess the bodies of pets in order to exist in non-obsolete space) I can only imagine that they're trying to use the bodies of the people whose consciousness' they take in order to have a direct line into the physical world. For what purpose I suppose we'll soon see. It strikes me now that the Null Yasako was interacting with as a younger child must have been repeating the hospital room number because that was the location of its physical body and it lacked a way of linking back up to it. Spooky. But damn, absolutely crazy conclusion to the events here. Yasaki making 'contact' with Kanna while diving head first in order to save Haraken. Explanations regarding the nature of illegal. What specifically is driving Obaa-san and why Megabaa lost her memory? I can't say that I was expecting the little details and bits of characterization we saw in the earlier part of the series to have any sort of plot relevant conclusions to them. Favorite moment definitely has to be Satchii-battle mode though, the switch from a smiley face to a frowney one was just too great.

TUSR

Banned
TUSR is this accurate? I can't Understand What My Husband is Saying was on CR today.

The second post is more or less accurate.

I Can't Understand aired about 14 hours ago. Which is technically the 3rd there.

I haven't had much time this week to update both the OP and the 2nd post.

For example: I have Nisekoi:'s air date for next week, which isn't correct. Because it airs tomorrow.

jman2050

I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying S2 1

First season was great, this looks to continue in the same fashion.

Terminator references are always golden.

The bodacious space pirate movies was excellent ..
i need to calm down , but goddam , this make me want another season SO MUCH MORE.

So good i realised i hadn't bought the blu-ray for the serie yet

Mistake corrected.

The second post is more or less accurate.

I Can't Understand aired about 14 hours ago. Which is technically the 3rd there.

I haven't had much time this week to update both the OP and the 2nd post.

For example: I have Nisekoi:'s air date for next week, which isn't correct. Because it airs tomorrow.

Oh, going by JP time. Ok.
That makes sense actually since you couldn't know the simulcast schedule.

TUSR

Banned
Oh, going by JP time. Ok.
That makes sense actually since you couldn't know the simulcast schedule.

This is actually confusing, everywhere says that Nisekoi: comes out on the 10th, but CR claims its tomorrow.

NISEKOI: is set to broadcast every Friday starting on April 3rd, 2015 at 10:00 am Pacific Time for premium members, with free members able to watch one week later. More information can be found on www.crunchyroll.com/nisekoi.

If you follow their link, nothing is set up to indicate that Nisekoi: comes out tomorrow. Not even the count down to air for the first episode.

TUSR

Banned
I'm going to assume Crunchyroll is talking about some kind of episode 0.

Guess we will find out tomorrow, this is sort of the reason i've been holding off on updating the OP and 2nd post. The closer we get to air dates, the more accurate the information becomes, which is less work for keeping everything up to date.

VRMN

If you follow their link, nothing is set up to indicate that Nisekoi: comes out tomorrow. Not even the count down to air for the first episode.

There's an episode 0, supposedly. The countdown timer being absent for the first episode isn't new.

Dennou Coil - 21

Oh man, that dream scene at the start solidifying that past relationship only for the ending to play itself out the way it did. Christ. I guess the lead up into the final episode is going to be much more focused on Amasawa's side of the events with an inevitable
hacker battle between the two factions. While the thought of encoder v. encoder is mildly interesting to me I just hope it doesnt detract too much from the bigger picture of Miss Mitchiki, the nature of the null, and whatever the hell Megamass is hiding in the shadows. Really I could do without school side bullying in a world thats proved to go much further on the deceptions / plot twists at this point in time. That ending was pretty brutal.

Yahari S2 - 01

A good start, that budget is definitely being used great! Character designs are an improvement for everyone except 8man. He looks off for some reason.

ibyea

Banned
Memories: Cannon Fodder
This one is set in a steam punk style world in which the whole society revolves around firing cannons at some enemy for the country, with WWII style proganda posters and all.
Of course, the enemy is imaginary as shown by the fact that they all land in the desert.
This short film is about building the world more than anything. It follows a man, one of many who operates one of those gigantic cannons, and his son who dreams of operating one, but they are only vehicles for the exploration of the setting and its somewhat heavy handed message on permanent war economy. The only thing I am confused about is the blue light at the end.

The most notable thing about it is the nearly continuous shots and the very dynamic camera. The few transitions happen with match cuts, or while the camera is tracking continuously from one place to another, making it look like a single continuous exploration. One of my favorite parts was actually the whole sequence where they are firing the cannon. Sort of makes you appreciate those grand scale projects people cooperate to accomplish. I felt awe at the grand scale of it as the movie shows the whole process of loading the cannon and firing it from beginning to end, and the continuous shot makes you feel like you are part of the process and it makes you see the whole picture, adding to the grand scale. The whole thing felt like it was always moving inexorably forward in a steady rhythm, with even at the little moments when nothing is happening the dynamic camera helps you feel like the pacing didn't let up, and gets you to feel excited to see the whole thing.

The character designs are also unique. While the other films in the anthology opted for a more realistic proportion, this one is a lot more cartoonish, not a conventional 90s style character design at all. The skin color being zombie like pale, face somewhat distorted, eyes circular, nose red, all adults having a ton of facial details. The designs though feel befitting of the industrial sort of look they are going for.

Overall it is my least favorite of the Memories anthology, but I appreciated what it was trying to do, and like the other movies, it looked cool.

Jex

sukikage no Tokio

Some cool artstyle variation, but mostly complete nonsense. Sasuga Suda51. If only Shinbo worked on this so we could have the two greatest "People who Don't Actually Exist" be "together" at last

Hey, Shinbo exists! He just chooses to not do much hands on work!

cajunator

Banned
You are a cruel and evil individual, lol.

She was one of the good ones I told you about..

Thats good to hear.

Hello, AnimeGAF. It's been a while...

yayyyy *squeezes

Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken S2 - 01
Still as good as season 1

This show is short but really cute and sweet and often funny. Underrated little gem.

Bah. Cross Ange is FUN! Stupid as fuck, but fun. Terrigood, not horribad.

I would have to agree. Its definitely awful but its the right kind of awful that I was seeking.

The bodacious space pirate movies was excellent ..
i need to calm down , but goddam , this make me want another season SO MUCH MORE.

So good i realised i hadn't bought the blu-ray for the serie yet

Mistake corrected.

Glad you corrected this mistake!
Do it for Chiaki.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom