• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tumblr_mzmda2t0Ga1smcbm7o1_500.gif

Damn Funimation has been killing it this season, almost everything that I wanted to watch or was thinking about checking out has been picked up by them. Hopefully they announce what shows they plan to simuldub this season soon so I don't have to get too invested into the subbed version.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Eureka Seven - 38

And indeed these two have a little outfall, separate, doubt themselves, get advice from the crew and get back together. For the 6th or 7th time or so.

I gotta be honest, I haven't been engrossed in this show for many episodes now. Episode 20 is probably still my highlight so far. The show is somewhat 'solid' in most aspects but simply doesn't excel in anything for me, which, coupled with the mostly slow pacing, means that I'm kinda trudging through episodes like this one. There isn't a single standout character and even Renton and Eureka have lost their appeal for me.

Or actually, the animation quality, especially in fighting sequences, is pretty great. Unfortunately that's rather secondary to compelling characters and plot.

I sincerely hope it picks up during the final stretch.

About that, you are about to hit one of the worst, if not the worst stretches of the show.

Theonik

http://24.media.tumblr.com/e45426b25e42ba86ea3cecd12d047bc8/tumblr_mzmda2t0Ga1smcbm7o1_500.gif

Damn Funimation has been killing it this season, almost everything that I wanted to watch or was thinking about checking out has been picked up by them. Hopefully they announce what shows they plan to simuldub this season soon so I don't have to get too invested into the subbed version.
That's not a good thing. Everything Funi gets means we don't actually get a viewable encode of it.

That's not a good thing. Everything Funi gets means we don't actually get a viewable encode of it.

They're stuff always works fine for me, I generally have more issues with Crunchy's video player. Plus that means I'll get a sub/dub dvd/br release that doesn't cost a fortune down the line

Jarmel

Banned
About that, you are about to hit one of the worst, if not the worst stretches of the show.

I strongly disagree. That said if you really dislike/hate the characters then I imagine it's going to be a tough watch (surprise I guess).

I would have to rewatch the series, as I haven't seen it in a few years, but I would say the 10-20 and 30-40 range are the weakest parts of the show.

Looking around further, someone from here made this comment regarding Eureka 7's limit of question:

Which if it were taken seriously and not just as a premise to a science fiction thing, is absurd because in QM 'observer' doesn't mean conscious observer, it means a 'measuring thing' which can be interaction with any molecules or atoms. Same reason why Schrodinger's cat story doesn't hold in real life. There is wave function collapse all the time, or if you prefer many world instead of Coppenhagen, too many decoherence.

I wonder if the Greg Bear book is any good. Anyway it's certainly an interesting theory, although I'm sure is false, to draw upon.

Theonik

Funimation's quality is just fine.
If you're blind. I mean you only need to look at the hilarity that was episode 1 of Death Parade last season where a large portion of the thread missed half the episode because Funi can't sub or encode for shit.

They're stuff always works fine for me, I generally have more issues with Crunchy's video player. Plus that means I'll get a sub/dub dvd/br release that doesn't cost a fortune down the line
Funi getting stream rights doesn't mean they also have BD/DVD rights.

ibyea

Banned

I personally liked it! :) Granted NaDannMaGoGo doesn't seem to like E7 as much as I do, so you are probably right in regards to his/her opinion.

Quasar

Well the animelab facebook account unofficially announced they will have DxD S3 along with S2 of Nisekoi.

Pretty curious to see how many shows they get as its the first big season start since Animelab has been properly rolled out. And how much impact it has on crunchyroll getting Australian rights for shows.

Was the last episode of GBF: Try worth watching? All my shows are over :(

#FE is not at all what I expected it to be but it actually looks like something I'd love.

I see where you are coming from about the content and two games. I think that it's still stupid, but apparently the Nohr storyline will be more hardcore and the Hoshido easier. In that case, it's kind of cool and makes more sense. I will definitely buy the all 3 storylines LE though.

I don't think ANYONE expected SMT x FE (it's not even called that anymore) to look like this.
Hell most people didn't expect it to ever come out.

Would be nice if the regular US version is all 3 combined and we also get a LE option. Artbook + soundtrack would be amazing.

Hopefully we get a lot more info on #FE this E3 considering it will be out this year.

Cornbread78

Cross Ange 06
Momoka
showed up.
Like vivian, she is one of this show's few genuine people so I would greatly prefer that she lives. She deserves better than to be a maid for that bitch Ange.

Yes, she is definitely one of the better characters and the most consistent in terms of role. A great scene is coming up with her as well that humanizes Ange
finally

So I guess thats the geolock as they play for me fine.

Dammit, at least give me an error message so I know what the deal is..

cajunator

Banned
Truly it is the Love Hina of the modern era.

That show...I detest it now. It was one of the first shows I watched on VHS fansubs. Oldschool style. Naru sucks. I liked the short blue haired one. Shinobu I think. To the surprise of no one.

ehh. whatever intrigues me from Funimation I will buy on bluray.

Jarmel

Banned
Well I learned a valuable lesson today about using a deputy service.

Have them order $7 worth of magazines and pay $54 in shipping and processing fees.

Chronoexe

Cyberteam in Akihabara - 2011 Summer Vacation

First off, the subtitle job on this was terrible. I know enough Japanese to fill in the gaps, but someone needs to produce a better sub of this, if there's any interest in it.

The art style was a little easier on the eyes, a little brighter and a little poppier than the TV series. The characters looked older, even though it had only been one year since the TV series ended - or a few months after, at best. If Utena's movie was heavily thematic and disorienting, and Nadesico's was a war, then this movie was simply chaotic.

And a large part of that has to do with making one-off character Uzura a recurring part of the cast for this special, even having her go all gung-ho on a police station to free Hibari and company. I don't dislike Uzura, but I'm curious if she had that many fans that they decided to work her into here. I'm also not sure how everyone besides Hibari and Tsubame gained the ability to fuse with their Divas, but I'm totally okay with it, since it's closer to what I thought was going to happen in the main series.

Freed from the ancient conspiracy angle of the TV series, it's become something a lot closer to the Kamen Rider Fourze movie. A space station is going out of control, bad things will happen, it's your job to stop it. I'm okay with that. The subs could've been better, but the movie itself was a good popcorn movie. Characters I love doing things I love, saving the world in the process.

Three series at once was a fine experiment, but I'll go back to one series at a time for my backlog for a little while. Got a few shows at Funi I would like to try out.

oh the nostalgia, I still remember the commercials in FOX Kids with this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDorzQ_2Cig

the dub was fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLdNWK_4KPA

cajunator

Banned
Yes, she is definitely one of the better characters and the most consistent in terms of role. A great scene is coming up with her as well that humanizes Ange
finally

Dammit, at least give me an error message so I know what the deal is..

Thats good to hear. Hopefully my two favorites last for a while and I dont have to simply banish this show to the pits of hell.

oh the nostalgia, I still remember the commercials in FOX Kids with this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDorzQ_2Cig

the dub was fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLdNWK_4KPA

that avatar hnnnnngh

Squishy3

Gatchaman Crowds episodes 1-3

So I don't really have a lot to say so far, as it doesn't seem anything special right now (Not that that's what I want from Gatchaman) but it's at least an interesting take on the Gatchaman formula and I do dig the artstyle. CG is iffy as it is in any anime but it doesn't really detract. Will see it through to the end and decide if I want to watch the second season since it's only 12 episodes for the first season.

Most important thought: That OST. From everything I've watched that Iwasaki has composed he's never failed to deliver.

Crocodile

Is Iwasaki coming back for Gatchaman Crowds Insight and Noragami 2? Is that why we haven't heard from him in a bit - because he's working on a bunch of sequel series?

By assuring to only host them for streaming in a comparatively low picture quality release, perhaps? After recently noticing the difference in quality between 'on-air' and 'OVA'-only episodes of So・Ra・No・Wo・To at Crunchyroll as well, and posteriorly LegatoB mentioning this was also the case for DRRR!!, one could reach the conclusion both parts decided on this solution to bring only "gimped" or 'standard definition' quality materials for streaming as a compromise that benefited them most equally.

But, can we go expecting a similar solution for future Aniplex Inc., productions present at Crunchyroll that feature OVAs too?

Possibly. We know they get the broadcast masters for the normal episodes, so that may have something to do with it. Likely we'd see the OreImo S2 situation (limited streaming).

Dub Power Hour now with Yona of the Dawn added to it

Yona of the Dawn 15

The first half of the episode focusing on Yona having a slap of reality about how most of the kingdom viewed her father's dynasty was really powerful and well done. Having it flip to Soo-Won's point of view and seeing him act like Ilbert as he masterfully manipulates those around him to get what he wants was also extremely well done. Will have to wait for serious Soo-Won to get a feel for his dub actor but he played the comical side extremely well.

Assassination Classroom 7

Pretty fun episode with a lot of great Karma moments and more fantastic Koro-Sensei bits. The show does a good job of slowly introducing the students in the class in a way that even though their are a lot of characters who haven't been introduced they can still be utilized for both comedy and serious scenes before their proper introduction to the audience. Next weeks episode though should be the really good one with my favorite manga moment

Death Parade is on hold while Funi's website poops itself :'[

Nobody has licensed announced Digimon Adventure Tri, Arslan, Shokugeki no Soma, and Rinne yet? What the heck is taking so long?

Also is Digimon Adventure Tri still happening?

Tri's certainly still happening given that there was just an update on it a few weeks ago, but with absolutely no airing information yet I'm pretty sure it's not a spring title (unless Toei and Bandai are taking the strangest tactic imaginable for it). At this point, I'm just hoping for it to air in the summer.

Tsukikage no Tokio

The script was weird, but not as incomprehensible as I thought it might be coming from Suda51. The bookend sections felt superfluous, but the short was worth watching just for the diversity of visual styles on display:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom