• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Cinderella Girls 12

One of the last stragglers from last season, and we begin with a training episode. At the same place that 765 went to train in the iM@S movie. With all the focus on units and groups and solos, it's been a while since all of the main cast was gathered in one place. Cute episode, with some callbacks to the episodes before it and a sense of preparing for the end of the first cour. Calm before the storm type of deal.

Edit, unrelated to the above:

CR has DanMachi!

CorvoSol

Patlabor WXIII

Turns out that you can, in fact, make a murder mystery about a giant cancer penis monster on a flesh eating rampage extremely boring after all.

First time I've ever been bored by this franchise.

Midonin

Pretear 01-03

Junichi Sato is the master of magical girls, so something shorter and more traditionally magical girl-y is a nice breather after the heaviness of Utena and Cyberteam. Himeno's pretty headstrong. I like that in a heroine. The concept feels like one of those shows DTL watches combined with Shugo Chara, if all the Charas were handsome dudes. And a modernized retelling of Snow White. I think because of Disney, most people associate the "evil stepsisters" thing with Cinderella, but the Grimm fairy tales all kind of bleed into one another - sometimes literally - to the point that there's a whole classification system built around them.

So it's taking some liberties, but I'm okay with it. The magical girl forms all look pretty distinct, but because of that, Himeno doesn't really have an iconic weapon. The Wind Sword maybe, but she's only used each of her forms once so far. I like that it's already showing there's more to her stepsisters than first appears. Mawata is sympathetic, while Mayune is mostly kind of an idiot. Meaning she's ultimately harmless.

Himeno looks quite a lot like Duck from Princess Tutu, which, also being a Sato series, is understandable. So far, it's a pretty typical magical girl/romcom series. Enjoyable, which is what I'm looking for.

Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu - 31

GAIKING THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAT.

Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu - 32-33

Not really sure how I feel about
Naoto controlling Daiku-Maryu
, but eh, no big deal.

Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu - 34

Dick's dad is a dick.

sonicmj1

Patlabor WXIII

Turns out that you can, in fact, make a murder mystery about a giant cancer penis monster on a flesh eating rampage extremely boring after all.

First time I've ever been bored by this franchise.
Did you watch this boring pretender before movies 1 and 2? Is it some kind of chronological thing?

Vito

Banned
Turn A Gundam Part 2 DVD (S) http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/sdgEhzv-SU1oB4mPit/browse/item/105380/4/0/0

Turn A Gundam Part 2 is coming 8/4/15! Eps 26-50 and a 3-part interview with Syd Mead!

tumblr_nm6thmvZ3L1srjvtqo1_1280.jpg

Also Danmachi OP... ED whatever, hate it when they do that with ep 1s http://a.pomf.se/qorkhi.mp4

cajunator

Banned
i did it for marika ... and gruier

Thats perfectly fine also!

Everything you just described is incredibly typical for these sorts of OVAs.

Very true. Lots of OVAs are throwaway side stories and fanservice heavy scenery chewing to make an extra buck. In some cases earlier on they served as show prototypes, which given enough popularity would then greenlight a full TV series.
Sometimes they were the only means to make an idea work. The other use for them that I have seen in my collection is to further explain certain things from the larger story, such as Another Love Song OVA from Saikano.

Its not Nanoha if it doesnt make you feel like the FBI is watching you.
Transformation is a bit too simple and slow for me though. Mahou shoujo transformations should be relatively quick paced and full of crazy ribbons and such.

Cinderella Girls 12

One of the last stragglers from last season, and we begin with a training episode. At the same place that 765 went to train in the iM@S movie. With all the focus on units and groups and solos, it's been a while since all of the main cast was gathered in one place. Cute episode, with some callbacks to the episodes before it and a sense of preparing for the end of the first cour. Calm before the storm type of deal.

Edit, unrelated to the above:

CR has DanMachi!

Im interested.

Pretear 01-03

Junichi Sato is the master of magical girls, so something shorter and more traditionally magical girl-y is a nice breather after the heaviness of Utena and Cyberteam. Himeno's pretty headstrong. I like that in a heroine. The concept feels like one of those shows DTL watches combined with Shugo Chara, if all the Charas were handsome dudes. And a modernized retelling of Snow White. I think because of Disney, most people associate the "evil stepsisters" thing with Cinderella, but the Grimm fairy tales all kind of bleed into one another - sometimes literally - to the point that there's a whole classification system built around them.

So it's taking some liberties, but I'm okay with it. The magical girl forms all look pretty distinct, but because of that, Himeno doesn't really have an iconic weapon. The Wind Sword maybe, but she's only used each of her forms once so far. I like that it's already showing there's more to her stepsisters than first appears. Mawata is sympathetic, while Mayune is mostly kind of an idiot. Meaning she's ultimately harmless.

Himeno looks quite a lot like Duck from Princess Tutu, which, also being a Sato series, is understandable. So far, it's a pretty typical magical girl/romcom series. Enjoyable, which is what I'm looking for.

Pretear is legit. Very cute little mahou shoujo series. It does give very strong TuTu vibes in the artwork, but is very different. I love how they say "Lets Preat" and Himeno is like /)////(\ Realy sweet series abd one I recommend highly to fans of the genre.

Vito

Banned
Sailor Moon R Part 1 coming to DVD/Bluray

It will just look like shit again. Last time ANN was too busy hying their EXCLUSIVE interview with Viz than to address the obvious bullshit screenshots that looked terrible. And their encoding expert Sevakis was probably too busy keeping his mouth shut, so he'd get hired again to do video.

TL;DR: Learn Italian.

phaze

Hmm sounds like I'll have to give it a go eventually.

From what it sounds like I got 3 excellent shows waiting for me with this, Mushishi and Tatami Galaxy.

I eagerly recommend it but then, I'm also the guy that liked Toradora !

Jojo's Bizzarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 37

Ummedesu, hai !

Didn't feel this one as much as the previous. Poor Hol Horse.

Judging by the preview,
they're finally getting to Dio's mansion. And Iggy can talk ? wth

Jarmel

Banned
So Woof or duck, when does Agents of Shield get interesting? I'm about to drop Arrow and Supernatural until further notice so I figure I should watch some cape shit in substitute and it seems like AoS did eventually get to a good point despite how god awful those early episodes were.

duckroll

So Woof or duck, when does Agents of Shield get interesting? I'm about to drop Arrow and Supernatural until further notice so I figure I should watch some cape shit in substitute and it seems like AoS did eventually get to a good point despite how god awful those early episodes were.

I would recommend just jumping in with season 2 and seeing if you actually like it. Pretend it's a brand new show set after the fall of SHIELD in Winter Soldier. If you really dig it and feel compelled to actually find out how they got to that point, watch the last 10 episodes of the first season (13 to 22). But if you want my opinion, I think they were pretty bad too. The show really only turned around for me with how they started off the new season.

Midonin

DanMachi 01

DanMachi, of all the shows, is in a unique position for me this season. It's the first LN-based anime I'm seeing where I've read the light novel('s first volume) beforehand. Other than mistaking "Daedalus" for "Daidaros", the translation was pretty alright, but I also realize just how much they cut around most of the dungeon scenes - which, like any dungeon crawler, might get repetitive - and focused mostly on the character scenes. The first half of the first book was covered here. At this rate, we'll be getting to material I don't know rather quickly.

I liked what I read, and I like what I saw. Though inspired by fantasy RPGs, there's no virtual reality or anything like that. It's a fairly typical fantasy world with patron deities and working guilds. Like a big D&D campaign - and there's no D&D code here. Bell's dorky but determined, and Iori Minase is doing a good job as Heft- Hestia. They were pretty much the only characters focused on, and came across a lot like how I pictured them in the books. Yuka Iguchi's OP is catchy enough.

For my first full-length show of the season, we're off to a good start.

Jarmel

Banned
I would recommend just jumping in with season 2 and seeing if you actually like it. Pretend it's a brand new show set after the fall of SHIELD in Winter Soldier. If you really dig it and feel compelled to actually find out how they got to that point, watch the last 10 episodes of the first season (13 to 22). But if you want my opinion, I think they were pretty bad too. The show really only turned around for me with how they started off the new season.

Could I just watch the season finale and go from there? Or would I have to watch like five episodes to understand the S1 finale?

[Digimon Adventure]

Finished it, and what a ride after all these years.
It's nice to see a kids show tackle themes( and with maturity) such as death, divorce, adoption, etc. Nice to see the parents and family taking part in the show, albeit some having a short one, was pretty good too.
The soundtrack is so good! Still listen to Butter-Fly and Brave Heart to this day.
The characters were great! The characters made Digimon a good show, I really liked all of the main characters(Even if at times Yamato/Mimi tried their hardest to irritate me) and some of the supporting digimons(Wizardmon ;___; crying since 1999). But the ones I really loved and rewatching made me love more are Hikari and Tentomon. Funny to see a digimon named Plotmon. lol
On the other hand the villains where laughably bad, some of them I remembered from when I was small but..I didn't even remember Mugendramon, after seeing him.
Apocalymon...lol
But Pinochimon with the gun was hilarious, the sound effect of the gun made the episode.
But in the end, they don't really leave a memorable impression.
Other thing that don't leave a memorable impression is the animation, the only exception being episode 21 when Mamoru Hosoda directed the episode, it's good to know there was a reason I liked that episode so much when I was small.
yvwqbOq.jpg
o0RInpS.jpg

q3pUQk3.jpg
HSKKIGx.jpg

Sogood.gif

Since Tri isn't looking like its going to air any time soon, maybe I should watch the next Digimon too.
Digimon Tamers

Gundam Build Fighters Try End

Silly ending episode with lots of fighters I didnt care about. More time ought to have been given to Sakai and at least having him throw down with Sekai.
Juu-nii should have been in attendance there too to at least show that he still has the Gundam spirit. Would have been a bit nicer storywise if he had been the one Sekai had went off training with as well. Considering he did help him with that one move

Build Fighters Try was a decent sequel though if Sakai had been in Yuuma's place I think the should would have been much better. 9/10

Midonin

All that I need for today is for Funi to announce when they're going to start streaming Yuki, and to see if anybody gets Nanoha Vivid.

Link Man

Banned
Is It Wrong to Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? 1

Good action, but suffers from too much setup, which is to be expected in a premier.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Danmachi Episode 1

Been waiting for this! How much of the light novels will it cover?

Sterok

Fate/Zero 3

Archer sure wants to have his own fun. Not sure if Tohsaka had good or bad luck getting him. Probably bad. To be fair to Rider, I'd want one of those jets myself to conquer everything with. Not sure if he's capable of taking on Clinton though. So that was Kotomine's plan. This Assassin seems much more impressive than the one in the original Fate/stay Night. Saber looks good in a suit. And she might have a better idea of the world than Irisviel, oddly enough. She's supposed to be a king, not a knight though. Kiritsugu sure came prepared. Not too faithful a lover, considering Maiya. So Rider is smart enough not to charge into battle at the first chance. He's smarter than he acts. Not to Waver's benefit though. Sir Lancer appears. Cool guy. Lancer is always cool.

Acid08

Banned
Four episodes into Nisemonogatari and I'm definitely not feeling it as much as I was Bake. Though the arc has finally introduced a villain and moved forward a bit.

Cornbread78

Nisekoi Ep 1-15:
I thought this show was going to be a lot funnier than it is. I've been following this show all day and it's just become another harem Anime with som eOK comedy, but nothisn. Saekano had more comedy and was more entertaining. Ep. 14 was Ok, but back to more of the same for Ep. 15.

btw, about that argument here the other night.....Kosaki all the way!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Season 2, Episode 13:

In the end the future refused to change.

Acid08

Banned
Nisekoi Ep 1-15:
I thought this show was going to be a lot funnier than it is. I've been following this show all day and it's just become another harem Anime with som eOK comedy, but nothisn. Saekano had more comedy and was more entertaining. Ep. 14 was Ok, but back to more of the same for Ep. 15.

btw, about that argument here the other night.....Kosaki all the way!

I thought it was def funnier than the usual fare. I'm excited to see what kind of character Kosaki's sister is.

duckroll

Could I just watch the season finale and go from there? Or would I have to watch like five episodes to understand the S1 finale?

Not worth watching the finale on its own, it's the conclusion of a running storyline that starts about mid-season.

Danmachi - 01

I don't think this is going to be anything amazing, but I believe it will be something fun to watch every week.
I like the whole fantasy dungeon premise, and the setting. It feels like the world of Chaika in a way. I wasn't impressed with the action in this, but I hope it'll have more impressive stuff to show down the road.
bI0V7mK.jpg

smug sama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom