• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VRMN

I guess I fell into the trap that Ore Monogatari is about, in that I judged the book by its cover. It seems to be an okay premise, but I'm worried that the show will turn out to be another One Week Friends where the show becomes a pointless non-love triangle based entirely on the lack of movement on behalf of the main character.

Yeah, don't worry about that. Ore Monogatari the manga is fantastic in part because it defies those kind of expectations.

There is dakis of every show. Even DTL daki.
Troll harder

I bet if you search hard enough you'll fine one for Grave of the Fireflies.

edit:
Yeah, don't worry about that. Ore Monogatari the manga is fantastic in part because it defies those kind of expectations.

Question, will there be proper character development or do they just establish characters enough to serve the situational comedy? You know, like they do it in Nozaki-kun.

So what happened to Viz ever since they licensed Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon Crystal I feel like they haven't licensed anything. The rinne going to sentai announcement blows my mind with how well InuYasha did for them you'd think they'd be all over it.

So, uhm....remember when me and firehawk said shirobako was just a waifu show, and the thread got mad?

So now there's pervy shirobako dakis. Yeah. Totally not a waifu show, guys.

So anything that ever has any such merchandise made is a 'waifu show'? Well, then I guess all anime is only for degenerates and we should just close up shop.

There's nothing of that in the actual show, so your original claim that it was a waifu show was and still is laughably off base.

Enron

Banned
Man, i said it before and I'll say it again...there's nothing wrong with liking waifu stuff! Just embrace it! I just thought shirobako was boring and probably wouldnt have half the audience that it does if it weren't stuffed with cute girls. Seriously, if all those characters were dudes in their late 30s/early 40s, would nearly as many people watch it?

Rainy

Banned
Word of advice, it's not the best idea to watch the second season as things REALLY go downhill there.

I'll probably watch it just for completion purposes but my expectations have now been lowered, thanks for the heads up though.

I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying S2 1
Still really funny, I love it.

VRMN

Question, will there be proper character development or do they just establish characters enough to serve the situational comedy?

There is proper development, yes. It's not just a situational comedy; there is some depth to it. The comedy is mostly there to supplement the romance, rather than the other way around.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I dunno man, if the guy doesn't end up with the girl soon, I'm going to feel like it's a write off. I already am watching one show that will purposefully drag on the "will they won't they" thing in the Nagato anime. lol

Japanese writers need to learn how to do more domestic comedies. Although I guess most Japanese otaku would rather idealize the "chase" of the relationship than actually having one.

---

Sound Euphorium is, I suppose, a bit of a return to form for KyoAni in that there isn't some explicit otaku-ey gimmick that they are falling back on. But, like Cinderella Girls, it just doesn't seem like there's much there either. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Chuu2 is probably their most interesting show since Hyouka. That's so weird to even think about. lol

So anything that ever has any such merchandise made is a 'waifu show'? Well, then I guess all anime is only for degenerates and we should just close up shop.

There's nothing of that in the actual show, so your original claim that it was a waifu show was and still is laughably off base.

You can't say nothing. It is certainly not the focus but there are some scenes such as the calisthenic scene that are just cute girls doing cute things.

VRMN

I dunno man, if the guy doesn't end up with the girl soon, I'm going to feel like it's a write off. I already am watching one show that will purposefully drag on the "will they won't they" thing in the Nagato anime. lol

It's a shoujo manga; they don't really tend to drag things out that way.
They get together before the end of volume one of the manga.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I honestly feel like it's a disservice for the show itself to not address the very commodification that it is a part of.

Apparently they get into it with the casting directors talking about having marketable seiyuu, but what I saw of the show completely ignored the "art as product" part of anime that is a huge part of why anime even exists.

They get together before the end of volume one of the manga.
Well
thank fuck.
I hope in show terms, that happens much sooner than later.

It's a shoujo manga; they don't really tend to drag things out that way.
lol

I think in terms of anime adaptations at least, most of the ones that have aired in recent years were all about taking ages for relationships to progress. Hell, the ones that aired in the last few seasons basically have non-endings.

VRMN

Well
thank fuck.
I hope in show terms, that happens much sooner than later.

If I had to guess, I would say
they'll be together by the end of episode three at the latest. If not episode two.

lol

I think in terms of anime adaptations at least, most of the ones that have aired in recent years were all about taking ages for relationships to progress. Hell, the ones that aired in the last few seasons basically have non-endings.

To be fair, maybe I'm better at self-selecting. The few shoujo manga I read tend to focus more on the relationship after it is established than the process leading up to it. But that's why I put it 'that way.' They have their own ways of dragging out drama. (And I don't watch a ton of shoujo-oriented anime, so I can't speak to the adaptations you're referring to.)

Triage X 01

AW00ESu.jpg
Xebec does tits and ass the best in the business of course I'm watching this. The guns and action are just toppings on this milkshake.

So, uhm....remember when me and firehawk said shirobako was just a waifu show, and the thread got mad?

"Remember when I said something dumb? Well I still believe this dumb thing"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If I had to guess, I would say
they'll be together by the end of episode three at the latest. If not episode two.

To be fair, maybe I'm better at self-selecting. The few shoujo manga I read tend to focus more on the relationship after it is established than the process leading up to it. But that's why I put it 'that way.' They have their own ways of dragging out drama. (And I don't watch a ton of shoujo-oriented anime, so I can't speak to the adaptations you're referring to.)
I guess to be fair, something like Kamisama Kiss isn't technically about the romance as it is about the relationship between the two main characters, but you have stuff like UtaPri and BroCom where the whole point is that the girl is surrounded by super hot guys that she'll never get together with. Then before that, there was Tonari-kun, which was an adaptation that ended in the middle of nothing happening... and that other one with the two estranged brothers that was so forgettable that I can't even think of its name at the moment.

The last anime that just focused on a relationship that I can think of was Say I Love You.

As an anime about a damaged protagonist, at least it was about something. Even if it came off as a really, really, really poor version of Aku no Hana or Watamote.

Joe Molotov

Man, i said it before and I'll say it again...there's nothing wrong with liking waifu stuff! Just embrace it! I just thought shirobako was boring and probably wouldnt have half the audience that it does if it weren't stuffed with cute girls. Seriously, if all those characters were dudes in their late 30s/early 40s, would nearly as many people watch it?

Director-san was my favorite character, and he was also the most moe.

VRMN

I guess to be fair, something like Kamisama Kiss isn't technically about the romance as it is about the relationship between the two main characters, but you have stuff like UtaPri and BroCom where the whole point is that the girl is surrounded by super hot guys that she'll never get together with. Then before that, there was Tonari-kun, which was an adaptation that ended in the middle of nothing happening... and that other one with the two estranged brothers that was so forgettable that I can't even think of its name at the moment.

The last anime that just focused on a relationship that I can think of was Say I Love You.

Not ironically, Say I Love You was the last one I really liked. Kamisama Kiss isn't really about the romance, as you said, and I don't think I've ever watched a reverse harem series. Tonari-kun I did like and that did drag things out, so that point is yours. The last one that you couldn't remember the name I don't know about either. If it was that forgettable, then it's probably fine.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not ironically, Say I Love You was the last one I really liked. Kamisama Kiss isn't really about the romance, as you said, and I don't think I've ever watched a reverse harem series. Tonari-kun I did like and that did drag things out, so that point is yours. The last one that you couldn't remember the name I don't know about either. If it was that forgettable, then it's probably fine.
Just looking back, there was also that Ookami-kun anime from a couple of seasons ago that I ignored based on the description. I'm going to assume that went nowhere as well.

Anyway, I guess I'm on board with Ore Monogatari for now. I just sort of hope it doesn't end up being completely a comedy of manners thing. Even if I like Waratte Sotomura-san. lol

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sound Euphorium is, I suppose, a bit of a return to form for KyoAni in that there isn't some explicit otaku-ey gimmick that they are falling back on. But, like Cinderella Girls, it just doesn't seem like there's much there either. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Chuu2 is probably their most interesting show since Hyouka. That's so weird to even think about. lol

Sad thing is this is the truth. S1 of Chuu 2 really has been their best thing since Nichijou (S2 is also the worst thing KyoAni has made that I've watched)

Watched the first ep of Sound Euphorium. Even as a former band geek, meh. Not really my thing.

Sound! Euphonium is about music!

Jarmel

Banned
Anyway, I guess I'm on board with Ore Monogatari for now. I just sort of hope it doesn't end up being completely a comedy of manners thing. Even if I like Waratte Sotomura-san. lol

It needs to bring more to the table than that as whatever comedic elements that existed in the opening episode were pretty flat.

cajunator

Banned
Just making sure Sound! Euphonium hadn't snuck in there. :)

Thats third. Probably.

Oh man, my Ponycanyon sets of Denki-Gai v1 and YuYuYu v1 came in today and holy shit are they nice.

I'll do a photo-shoot when I get home from work tonight.

So jelly! No shipment notification yet :/
Im not sure really why my shipments are so delayed like they are. I order stuff really early so it cant be a second batch or something. My only thought is they service closer orders first.

Its not a waifu show.

Rin-ne 1

This is like the love child of Bleach and InuYasha. It was a pretty fun first episode though I do fear the poor money angle of the main character might get old after awhile.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sound! Euphonium is about music!
I don't know what that means!
Glee was about music too, and I ended up skipping all their performances after a certain point. lol

It needs to bring more to the table than that as whatever comedic elements that existed in the opening episode were pretty flat.
Based on the "premise pilot", I'd assume that it's about how the guy is a big scary loaf and everyone hates him, but his best friend helps him assimilate and the girl helps him as well. I guess it depends if that holds true later on.

Haven't watched it but the manga is more about charm for now and becomes funnier later. It starts by telling you "hey look this isn't a standard Shojo there's like little to no drama".

But no it doesn't ever become Nozaki-kun

I don't know what that means!
Glee was about music too, and I ended up skipping all their performances after a certain point. lol

It means exactly what it says.

I have to say, though, if you want meaningful social commentary or penetrating character analysis the way you seem to, you probably shouldn't be looking for that in cartoons.

Jarmel

Banned
Haven't watched it but the manga is more about charm for now and becomes funnier later. It starts by telling you "hey look this isn't a standard Shojo there's like little to no drama".

But no it doesn't ever become Nozaki-kun

Yea I doubt it'll ever go full Nozaki-kun as the characters don't seem comedic like that.

Based on the "premise pilot", I'd assume that it's about how the guy is a big scary loaf and everyone hates him, but his best friend helps him assimilate and the girl helps him as well. I guess it depends if that holds true later on.

I'm expecting the girl to have a crush on him and they get together or whatever. However the 'cool' friend starts to get jealous and actually wants to compete for the girl, since this is his first time being in love. Thus starting a reversal of their prior situations.

I'll say this: episode 1 had a lot of original content in it. We pretty much covered about 20-30 pgs of novel material, but expanded on the relationships/characters already. This is only part 1 of a 13 part journey.

One of the issues the fandom has come into is the weekly viewing experience. There's certain aspects of a show that you appreciate only when viewed as a whole or part of the arc it's in rather than an episode. While this episode essentially put Kumiko back into the band, it's only the prologue to what's to happen. Sadly it doesn't make for compelling viewing, but it's a necessity for the plot.

I'm not going to argue over interesting/not, but I will say that episode 1 was a set-up episode and it's better to judge the series on what's to come rather than just this.

Ryuukan

Trying to catch up on shows from previous season, is Shirobako any good

People kept posting all the girls from it on Twitter

ibyea

Banned

It's not a "waifu" show. If it were I would hate it, first of all. Also, pervy merchandise for the show does not follow that the show itself is some pervy "waifu" show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It means exactly what it says.

I have to say, though, if you want meaningful social commentary or penetrating character analysis the way you seem to, you probably shouldn't be looking for that in cartoons.
I think my problem is that I'm at a point where I've seen this show a dozen times already. The context is different, but the actual situations are the same. It's why even though I liked Koufuki Graffiti, I didn't love it as I should have based on the fact that it's basically Hidamari Sketch with food.

Yea I doubt it'll ever go full Nozaki-kun as the characters don't seem comedic like that.

I'm expecting the girl to have a crush on him and they get together or whatever. However the 'cool' friend starts to get jealous and actually wants to compete for the girl, since this is his first time being in love. Thus starting a reversal of their prior situations.
I'm hoping the dynamic between the three doesn't involve any kind of love triangle. Just mine the social awkwardness stuff for a while. The problem is that I assume the manga is an ongoing entity, which means that he can't be "rehabilitated" by the end of the series.

I'll say this: episode 1 had a lot of original content in it. We pretty much covered about 20-30 pgs of novel material, but expanded on the relationships/characters already. This is only part 1 of a 13 part journey.

One of the issues the fandom has come into is the weekly viewing experience. There's certain aspects of a show that you appreciate only when viewed as a whole or part of the arc it's in rather than an episode. While this episode essentially put Kumiko back into the band, it's only the prologue to what's to happen. Sadly it doesn't make for compelling viewing, but it's a necessity for the plot.

I'm not going to argue over interesting/not, but I will say that episode 1 was a set-up episode and it's better to judge the series on what's to come rather than just this.
I don't really need a Kurt Hummel "gay bashing" storyline or something (or to reference Chuu2, more dead parents), but the ganbatte try your best thing even if you have anxieties about whether or not you succeed is sort of old hat for me and I'd just like something a bit more.

Again, if you're telling me that something more than that happens over the course of the anime, then please let me know.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So what happened to Viz ever since they licensed Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon Crystal I feel like they haven't licensed anything. The rinne going to sentai announcement blows my mind with how well InuYasha did for them you'd think they'd be all over it.

Willing to bet Sailor Moon cost them so much money that they had to shift strategy and stop licensing regular shows. They seem to make the big grabs for franchises now as they have Jojo and hey just got Youkai Watch.

I don't really need a Kurt Hummel "gay bashing" storyline or something (or to reference Chuu2, more dead parents), but the ganbatte try your best thing even if you have anxieties about whether or not you succeed is sort of old hat for me and I'd just like something a bit more.

Again, if you're telling me that something more than that happens over the course of the anime, then please let me know.

There's more to the story. Kumiko's played the euphonium since she was in 4th year of elementary school, so she's talented enough to not worry so much about success/performing under stress. This is more of a human drama rather than an internal one. The closest comparison I can think of is Hyouka, but on a slightly greater scale.

Jarmel

Banned
I think for Euphonium a key component of the show is going to be the main character developing some sort of ambition through her work in the actual club. Something similar to Oreki I guess.

That said, I still want my anime Whiplash.

Ryuukan

I think my problem is that I'm at a point where I've seen this show a dozen times already. The context is different, but the actual situations are the same. It's why even though I liked Koufuki Graffiti, I didn't love it as I should have based on the fact that it's basically Hidamari Sketch with food.

Is that why you dropped Fresh off the Boat because its Malcolm in the Middle with Chinese people

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There's more to the story with that. Kumiko's played the euphonium since she was in 4th year of elementary school, so she's talented enough to not worry so much about success/performing under stress. This is more of a human drama rather than an internal one. The closest comparison I can think of is Hyouka, but on a slightly greater scale.
I think what made Hyouka interesting is that the cantankerous sociopathy of Sherlock is translated to teen antipathy, and seeing both the Oreki/Chitanda relationship play out but also the Satoshi/Oreki relationship in terms of their inherent inequity. I wouldn't even say it's necessarily a remarkable story either - it's just that in the context of anime, Oreki stands out as exciting as Rust Cohle or McNulty or Walter White or whomever.

The "sports" story with the unwilling but talented protagonist is something I've seen many times. I mean, that's what the second season of Free was ultimately about.

Is that why you dropped Fresh off the Boat because its Malcolm in the Middle with Chinese people
It's the only show with yellow people where they made an entire episode based around the premise of "4" being bad luck. I don't think any other sitcom has done that.

I think for Euphonium a key component of the show is going to be the main character developing some sort of ambition through her work in the actual club. Something similar to Oreki I guess.

That said, I still want my anime Whiplash.
STOP FUCKING DRAGGING

I still find it funny/sad that Community already did a Whiplash parody. About making a Karate Kid stage adaptation no less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom