• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Euphonium #1

Well, that was boring. It's like K-On, but without Yui. What's the point? The main character isn't terrible, but the rest of the cast pretty much is. I'll hold my judgment for now, but it's not looking good.

Ninja Slayer, save us!

Quasar

Ore Monogatari 1 - awesome as expected.

Triage X 1 - Not something I'd normally watch. Makes me think about Cobra (the Stallone movie).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ore Monogatari!! Episode 1:

Among the strongest of debuts thus far, I am looking forward to seeing how this one plays out in the episodes ahead. That being said, I am already tiring of generic waifu as she is less a character and more a plot device to motivate the main leads.

Kusano123

Neo Member
Sound Euphorium is, I suppose, a bit of a return to form for KyoAni in that there isn't some explicit otaku-ey gimmick that they are falling back on. But, like Cinderella Girls, it just doesn't seem like there's much there either. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Chuu2 is probably their most interesting show since Hyouka. That's so weird to even think about. lol

Even though I haven't truly enjoyed any other kyo-ani series since Hyouka, I remember finding the first episode of Hyouka to be not so interesting either. Will just have to give Euphorium a few more episodes first before dismissing it.

Also like Ore Monogatari the most out of all the other weds shows so far.

Eureka Seven - 42

Well, I guess I really just don't care about the characters much anymore when
all I feel is indifference...or I'd prefer seeing Holland just die off already so I don't have to see his face anymore.

At the end of ep41 Eureka finally got her terrible hair fixed, though, that's nice.

Yeh I don't hold this show in high regards and considering my lack of investment in any of the characters—by now, it actually became less and less, which is a very bad sign—I doubt anything this final stretch will throw at me is going to change that. The OST and animation quality deserve a better anime. I'd drop it if I didn't invest so much time already.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Even though I haven't truly enjoyed any other kyo-ani series since Hyouka, I remember finding the first episode of Hyouka to be not so interesting either. Will just have to give Euphorium a few more episodes first before dismissing it.
I'll probably keep watching it for a while... but Amagi was the first KyoAni show that I just stopped watching, which a few years ago, would have been unthinkable for me. I mean, I finished KnK for god's sake.

Quasar

I'll probably keep watching it for a while... but Amagi was the first KyoAni show that I just stopped watching, which a few years ago, would have been unthinkable for me. I mean, I finished KnK for god's sake.

That happened to me too. It was the first current Kyoani show I bailed on since I started watching anime like this. I like Euphonium already though. And whilst I liked Tamako Market (despite the bird) this is the first post Hyouka show I have whole heartedly liked from the start.

Jarmel

Banned
You know looking back at older shows like K-ON! and Eureka 7, I'm impressed with old-Gainax. Despite the number of megahits they had, they never chased that white whale unlike Bones, KyoAni, and Sunrise. All three of which stumbled and fucked up, with Sunrise still in the process of fucking up while chasing after Code Geass.

You know looking back at older shows like K-ON! and Eureka 7, I'm impressed with old-Gainax. Despite the number of megahits they had, they never chased that white whale unlike Bones, KyoAni, and Sunrise. All three of which stumbled and fucked up, with Sunrise still in the process of fucking up while chasing after Code Geass.

Cross Ange will be the Code Geass of the decade.

Quasar

Recently put in my Garden of Words BluRay and for the first time looked over the extras. Anyway one thing I spotted was they included a full set of storyboards set to the audio of the film.

Love this. What I'm wondering is just how common this is kind of extra? Its the first time I've come across it.

Given I tend to make do with streaming, are there many disc releases that have lots/substantial extras? I guess nothing like say Jacksons LOTR film extras exists in anime.

Mikagura School Suite Episode 1

Girls love anime? How odd since the poster had such pretty guys on it WIll watch just for him if they tone it down some please.
CCHAWs0UMAAHdd6.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Recently put in my Garden of Words BluRay and for the first time looked over the extras. Anyway one thing I spotted was they included a full set of storyboards set to the audio of the film.

Love this. What I'm wondering is just how common this is kind of extra? Its the first time I've come across it.

Given I tend to make do with streaming, are there many disc releases that have lots/substantial extras? I guess nothing like say Jacksons LOTR film extras exists in anime.
Sentai movie releases used to have extras. The K-On release had everything except the director's commentary, IIRC.
(I can't remember if her London travelogue was on the disc)

Most recent anime are barebones, which is why I just stopped getting them.

Andrew J.

Sound Euphorium is, I suppose, a bit of a return to form for KyoAni in that there isn't some explicit otaku-ey gimmick that they are falling back on. But, like Cinderella Girls, it just doesn't seem like there's much there either. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Chuu2 is probably their most interesting show since Hyouka. That's so weird to even think about. lol

Disagree. At the very least, Beyond the Boundary is a fascinating failure.

PK Gaming

Mikagura School Suite 01

Well that was... that was something. The set up is pretty standard, the art and animation are unremarkable and the characters are rather stock... the yuri.

tumblr_nmi6k9z89d1rxzudco4_250.gif

The protagonist is hella gay. Not even "blushes one time when she sees a pretty girl", gay but "plays yuri VNs and reads yuri manga" gay.

I honestly might have dropped this but...the yuri.

tumblr_inline_nmid1z3HlT1r6jvm9_540.png

With all that said, I still don't think Mikagura is great. but hopefully it picks up in the coming episodes.

Oh right, the protagonist voiced by Juri Kimura (Aoi from Shirobako). I like her voice, and i'm glad she's already getting more lead roles.

Those aren't so common. Extras depend on the publisher for the discs. Aniplex is pretty much:
Audio commentaries
bonus CD
booklet
postcards (if endcards)
OP/ED/CMs
Digipak/sheer case.

The release for Uchoten Kazoku had the storyboards for the episodes on the discs and the Eva movies have the script on discs. Hanasaku Iroha's movie had both storyboards and recording script in addition to a booklet which featured commentary from the director/main staff. K-on! had the storyboards for the movie. Tamako's BD-Box had the storyboards for episodes 2/9 while the movie had the storyboards for OP/Confession/Confession 2/ED.

As given by my examples, it's not unusual, but it's not ordinary either.

Quasar

Those aren't so common. Extras depend on the publisher for the discs. Aniplex is pretty much:
Audio commentaries
bonus CD
booklet
postcards (if endcards)
OP/ED/CMs
Digipak/sheer case.

The release for Uchoten Kazoku had the storyboards for the episodes on the discs and the Eva movies have the script on discs. Hanasaku Iroha's movie had both storyboards and recording script in addition to a booklet which featured commentary from the director/main staff. K-on! had the storyboards for the movie. Tamako's BD-Box had the storyboards for episodes 2/9 while the movie had the storyboards for OP/Confession/Confession 2/ED.

As given by my examples, it's not unusual, but it's not ordinary either.

Right. OK. I'm more interested in things like documentary pieces or interviews and such, as well as storyboards. For the most part things about the production process.

Right. OK. I'm more interested in things like documentary pieces or interviews and such, as well as storyboards. For the most part things about the production process.

Funimation's release of Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shambala had a good amount of that as I recall. It was a pretty nice release.

The Patlabor and Patlabor 2 special editions also came with full storyboard booklets along with some additional supplemental material. They're excellent sets.

Sterok

Houkago no Pleiades 1

Stuff happened? There were these star things, and magical car brooms, and everything just sort of flowed without explaining anything. It was a bit pretty though. Might watch another episode.

Rinne 1
CCHJBiVWAAE9D8Z.jpg

What a pretty boring start to an anime. The only highlight is Rinne's character design, and his voice being that of Haikyuu!! Kageyama/NagiAsu's Tsugumu, and thats it. I guess the ghost extermination plot has just been so done so much now that a story that isnt doing anything interesting with it just comes across as a been there done that type of affair. Maybe it will take off...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Best scarfed male character since Sacred Seven
I honestly didn't remember he wore a scarf.

Houkago no Pleiades 1

Stuff happened? There were these star things, and magical car brooms, and everything just sort of flowed without explaining anything. It was a bit pretty though. Might watch another episode.
Wait, is this that anime that was like a Subaru advertisement which came out several years ago?

Mature

I'd watch houkago no pleiades if they were really duplicitous with their Subaru advertising. Like, impact frames that hide subliminal images of families enjoying their Subaru car or something.

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO! 1

WzhfmnX.png

Ahh. Welcome back Hachiman and the Service Club.

Great first episode. Hachiman is still himself. Best girl Yui is still super cute. Forgot Ebina was a crazy fujoshi. Yukinoshita feels a little less snarky however.

My biggest gripe however is the change in art style. I could barely recognize the characters (even though I forgot a lot of them). Yukinoshita looks way too cute this time and her resting bitch face is totally nonexistant. Its like shes a different character now :/

I dont remember from S1 if things were heading towards a Yukinoshita x Hachiman pairing but I sure hope it doesnt. The real OTP is Hachiman x Totsuka. Hachiman dude already delivered an ace wall bang in the train, desires to protect smiles and is looking forward to a bath together. Let the man be happy!

I really need to rewatch S1, I forgot almost everything. I was expecting a quick refresher this ep.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, it's got a full show this season.
Amazing!

I'd watch houkago no pleiades if they were really duplicitous with their Subaru advertising. Like, impact frames that hide subliminal images of families enjoying their Subaru car or something.
Aww, so it's just a magical girl show then? What does Subaru even get out of it? lol

My biggest gripe however is the change in art style. I could barely recognize the characters (even though I forgot a lot of them). Yukinoshita looks way too cute this time and her resting bitch face is totally nonexistant. Its like shes a different character now :/
Yeah, I was confused for a while myself.

Also the "OTP" is Batman x Teacher. Even the game made it so!

Midonin

Linebarrels of Iron 04-06

So that's what it takes to get Koichi to snap out of his delusions, join the Judean Peoples' Front, and overcome the prologue. Having
Yajima die
feels a little too expected and also cruel, but with the way Koichi was acting - including denying that he needs Linebarrel even after things got worse - only something close to that would've snapped him out of it.

And it seems the universe loves karma. He's not quite as passive as he was at the start of the series, but at least he's dialed it back to not being totally mad with power. I like pretty much everyone at the Judean Peoples' Front, with Rachel remaining the best. The talent competition was extremely goofy, considering what happened in the episode beforehand, but I have a feeling that something like that won't be seen again for a little while.

Quasar

Weird. They all looked the same to me.

I dont remember from S1 if things were heading towards a Yukinoshita x Hachiman pairing but I sure hope it doesnt. .

That certainly has been my desire from episode one. Am guessing I won't get that though. I imagine even in the novels its all status quo.

e_i

Ore Monogatari episode 1

Better than I expected. Yamato's voice is a little too high, but I guess it fits.

Wish Upon the Pleiades episode 1

Nanako is awesome. Nanako is boss. Nanako is a goddess. Fuck the rest of the characters, give me more of her. I love how her seriyuu uses two different voices for her character.
One for the character, one for the times when the alien blob is talking through her.

MY love STORY 1
CCHPMmTWMAEXib2.jpg
CCHPMs7W0AAWP4M.jpg

Suna's laugh is precious. Haruka Nanase va keeps voicing such great character, will be great to hear him in this role and also as Furuya for this entire season and the next.

Still have Suna and Raku Ichijou as my favorite pair, too bad that crossover will never be animated.

Alright start, had already read chapter 1 or so and etc.

Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku - 01

She's got excellent taste in other girls. Onto the show itself, yea its got me interested. Sure its one of those club battle anime shows it seems but this time the MC isn't your atypical self insert character so I'm looking forward to this.

Yeah, I was confused for a while myself.

Also the "OTP" is Batman x Teacher. Even the game made it so!

Who was Batman again? Teacher is great though :)

Weird. They all looked the same to me.

That certainly has been my desire from episode one. Am guessing I won't get that though. I imagine even in the novels its all status quo.

This seasons art is much softer and rounder than the first. Happy (and sad) about the status quo tho.

Gintama OVA

e8guykM.jpg

The Madao Clones!!!

Ring a Ding Dong Ring a Ding Ding Dong

Listening to this all throughout the OVA was phenomenal. It made me laugh really hard. Same Old Gintama is coming back strong. It really did destroy me when the Ultimate Move's purpose was to be used against Sponsors.

Funi simuldub time

Yona of the Dawn 16

We discover everything about Soo-Won's visit to the Earth clan was exactly as keikaku to get the Earth clan's trust for his upcoming ambitions. While these two episodes were fun this felt like the wrong time in the series to shift focus to Soo-won when Yona does not have her full team yet.

Assassination Classroom 8

I guess the scene I was thinking about happens later in the series :(

Kind of a slow episode with some really funny moments at the end. We do get a tease of Koro-sensei's past though I'm not sure if the anime is going to get far enough to reveal that this season.

Death Parade 8

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN

Intense episode, depending upon how they stick the landing with episode 9 these two could be the best episodes of Death Parade.

Kurokan Episode 5
One game but finally some focus on the actual players. I like how they are taking into account the individual players personalities and backgrounds. Protecting Masamiya's pride and doing these risky types of plays. The final minute was extremely exciting, wow.

Yona of the Dawn 16

We discover everything about Soo-Won's visit to the Earth clan was exactly as keikaku to get the Earth clan's trust for his upcoming ambitions. While these two episodes were fun this felt like the wrong time in the series to shift focus to Soo-won when Yona does not have her full team yet.

This event happens much later in the manga, and wouldnt have made it into the first season otherwise. It does feel like it was awkwardly placed but it was important for the viewer to see how capable Soo Won really is as a king.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Who was Batman again? Teacher is great though :)

This seasons art is much softer and rounder than the first. Happy (and sad) about the status quo tho.
Hachiman = Batman because he's basically being the martyr like in Dark Knight. lol

My favourite part of one of the fansubs was that they replaced the OP with one of the Nolan Batman themes. It just fit so perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom