• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Endride Episode 7

Best boyfriends going on a shopping date together, it was lovely especially when Emilio and Shun were with the weapons, and then when Emilio was watching how happy and fun Shun was with the ball and kids. Good relaxing episode.

T-Rex.

Banned
Fate/Kaleid liner Prisma Illya - 6

Holy shit. This show is actually good? That Archer transformation, that reality marble with the UBW theme, that Caladbolg and then the Excalibur to top it all off. Bah. Gawd.

TUSR

Banned
Fate/Kaleid liner Prisma Illya - 6

Holy shit. This show is actually good? That Archer transformation, that reality marble with the UBW theme, that Caladbolg and then the Excalibur to top it all off. Bah. Gawd.

YeAH dude Illya rocks

3rei!! is coming out in the Summer season, so catch up.

T-Rex.

Banned
YeAH dude Illya rocks

3rei!! is coming out in the Summer season, so catch up.
Last time I got that hyped from an anime was Haikyuu S2. That episode was so damn good. I love how she actually fought like Archer as well so it wasn't just a costume change and that's that.

Just T

Kiznaiver: 6

Pretty good episode. Thought that was going to be it for Maki's friend in the beginning tbh, she definitely wasn't all together.

Danball Senki W - 23

CicP5QIUkAEARix.jpg:large
CicP_q6UkAAd8QP.jpg:large

INCOMING GIANT ARMY OF TINY TOY ROBOTS STORMING ANOTHER BUILDING.

Ascheroth

Mayoiga #7

Mitsumunes backstory was actually tragic. Makes his actions look differently in retrospect.
But wow, that escalated. The dumbassery of those dumbasses continues to amaze me. I think I'm fluctuating between "Surely they can't be that stupid, right?" and "Oh god, they're even stupidier, lol.".

Sakamoto #5

"Is he calling down lightning!?"
Lmao.
Poor Kubota though.

Qurupeke

Kiznaiver 6
I'll agree with most of you, this was good. The show continues to deliver and I'm certainly impressed. I read Narag's post, and wow, if this was a battle anime, heavy on TRIGGER stuff, I doubt I'd like it. It manages to have just the right amount of everything with a focus on the characters, which makes it a much better watch. If Mayoiga's cast has me hating every character, this one is the opposite. Oh, and I really hope it's a 2-cour!!!!! I didn't expect that.

Maki's past was rather different than I expected and I liked the parallelism between Nico and Ruru. It will be interesting to see the continuation of this.

Ascheroth

For some reason when looking at Kiznaiver before it started airing, I always had the impression it was going to be a battle anime, haha.
Thankfully they decided against it, because what we got is probably infinitely more interesting then the early designs.

Danball Sanki #36

TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND! Holy shit. This is going to be insane.
And the short Sendou scene was so good, even without many words.

Kiznaiver 06

That was pretty damn good buy my favorite part was at the end when he says "I'm disappointed in you" and she fidgets slightly. so good

Seeing that people are enjoying TWO TRIGGER shows in one season is like a dream come true.

Yeah they should make more stuff that doesn't suck

Ascheroth

Danball Senki #37

What-
What the-
What the hell just happened!?
I mean yeah, things were going too well, but... they didn't... they didn't... ...did they!?
Holy shit.

Wanderer5

Trigger is just rocking this season. Hope the shows don't fall flat during their second half heh.

Wonder if Kiznavier is going to be 2 cour? Did they actually confirm that it be just one cour? And while I don't mind a battle school of sort setting, I glad they ditched that to focus more on the characters.

Aki-at

Mirai Nikki - 3

So the thing that shocked Deus the most was Yuki finding out Yuno killed her
parents and stuffed them in a room in her house
lol, what a horrible architect for time and space if something obvious like that shocked him. I'm enjoying just how bad this show is so far.

One thing that I've found legitimately cute/funny so far though is the end segments with the assistant demon girl.

jgminto

Tanaka-kun 6
When did this turn into a show about shitty romance misunderstandings that make no sense? Those segments aren't funny and they don't fit with the characters at all. Even though the rest of the show is fun, this bullshit is just making me mad.

Mailbox

Kiznaiver episode 6

The fact that this is written by the same person that wrote Wixoss is super surprising. Wixoss had the subtlety of a baseball bat to the face, but this had some very good use of subtle character moments. Specifically the quick quite notion that Tenga was hiding something painful (which at this point we can assume is that he likes Chidori based on how he said it here) and the very last conversation with the slight twitch and all that. I'm quite impressed.

Also that dead friend really seems like she wasn't all there, which will make the next episode or 2 interesting to say the least.

Eumi

Put Imaishi and his clone on a leash with shorts, and more Kobayashi.

I love Imaishi to bits but I kind of agree. Roll him out for maybe a 13 ep show in 5 years, but for now just keep him creating shorts or other stuff. Trigger seem like a studio that would be limited by Imaishi's need for insanity. Kill la Kill isn't a show that needs repeating, whether you loved it or not.

Kiznaiver 6
I like this well enough, but I don't really understand where the effusive praise is coming from. Has Trigger just mastered the art of lowered expectations?

Lupin III Specials 1998-2000

Within are found:

Ninjas

Jazz clubs (often with a Yuji Ohno cameo)

Improbable vehicular mayhem

It's not so bad if you wait the intended year before seeing these elements again in a Lupin story, but I see how the annual specials got their reputation for predictability.

Memories of the Flame: Tokyo Crisis
I'd heard that this was one of the most well-regarded of the 90s specials, and I'd have to agree. The popularity might have to do with the fact that the Zenigata fans finally have a story that gives him an equal or starring role, complete with a quasi-love interest. Here, the villain's scheme involves genetically engineered precognizant supersoldiers, but it stays relatively grounded and character-focused.
If they cared at all about having a canon, I guess this would be where Mamo got Lupin's DNA.
All in all, a good balance is struck . I'd recommend it as one of the first among the specials to watch (if the animation in Nostradamus is too KidsWB for you.)

The Columbus Files / De Capo of Love: Fujko's Unlucky Days
Amnesia! Fujiko loses her memory, and along with it the key to the location of a treasure outlined in the titular files, which for some reason can control weather. This is a really weird and faintly lame special. The amnesia aspect is utilized decently, but not nearly well enough. As common a plot device as it is, memory loss would be a good means of examining just what attracts Lupin to Fujiko, despite the usual betrayals. This is sidelined by the main story, which is a reheated mix of Bond and Indy. Difference being that here, Blofeld becomes the Hulk.
I will say that it was interesting that the henchman of this special is a bizarro-Lupin, down to his skills in disguise.
Off the top of my head, this kind of thing is surprisingly rare in Lupin stories (I'm not counting actual clones or impostors) He's pretty much defined by his annoying laugh though. (The special's director is Nabeshin, which probably explains the curly-haired NotLupin. However, I haven't seen anything else by him.)

Missed by a Dollar / $1 Money Wars
Le Lupin de Rue Wall
Good opening and ending, but the middle isn't very gripping. Since this is the first special of the 2000s, there is a brief rumination on thievery's lack of mystery in the digital age, but most of the plot revolves around manipulating stocks and oil by plotting international conflicts. It's a little murky (so are the visuals for some odd reason), but the businesswoman antagonist is a nice change of pace. I would've admired the special more if
Lupin remained dead for more than 15 minutes.
There's a lounge singer girlfriend, but Jigen has a more in-depth romantic subplot with his gun.
They do love the ol' artstyle references

Cornbread78

Drift off to Blue Orchid Island ep.1
So, the dude falls off a cruise liner and drifts to an island of all woman, with a bunch his age.. Yup, I'm smelling ecchi, harem conedy action. Pretty funny stuff to start off the fun. Time for all the craziness to continue.

Mailbox

Flying Witch 3-6

Still very slice of life, still very chill, still enjoyable. Couldn't ask for more.

Reminds me a bit of Natsume's book of friends without the danger and story. Which, all things considered, isn't a bad thing.

Flying Witch 06

I dunno how to feel about the show's sudden change in tone after Makoto's sister accidentally opens up a portal to Hell. I kinda liked it when it was soft and somber and people weren't dying horribly.

Yeah that got dark all of the sudden!o_O

I hate the fact that I fell for you this, you guys.

Thoraxes

Kiznaiver - 06

Man, that 1-2 frame twitch Nori-chan does when Kacchon delivers that line at the end was amazing.

To say the least, the rest of the episode was good too. Seeing as how we're only really into the backstories of two characters, maybe it will be 2-cour after all?

And hey, they even played the correct piano pitch when she hit that A below middle-C.

Narag

Kiznaiver - 06

Man, that 1-2 frame twitch Nori-chan does when Kacchon delivers that line at the end was amazing.

To say the least, the rest of the episode was good too. Seeing as how we're only really into the backstories of two characters, maybe it will be 2-cour after all?

And hey, they even played the correct piano pitch when she hit that A below middle-C.

Was there some musical significance to that? Was hoping you'd catch it so I could ask.

Kiznaiver 06

Wow. Honoka's backstory was quite something. It would make sense as to why she is the way she is. Also, that last bit with Katsuhira and Noriko, when he goes
"I'm disappointed in you..."
and you see her twitch just ever so slightly because of the weight of those words. Man this show is quite superb. If this keeps up, I'll easily hand it the AOTS title. I also read that interview that you guys posted a page or two ago, and thank God they went in this direction rather than having fights. I don't think they'd be able to make a show half as good as this one if they did that.

Thoraxes

Was there some musical significance to that? Was hoping you'd catch it so I could ask.
The note A (though above middle-C) is the concert pitch that orchestras use to tune.

I'll read into it a little bit too much even though this is all probably super-reaching.

Since Nori-chan is in charge of the operation and they're working on getting them all in sync with one another, maybe she plays a more integral part with maintaining the group, whether she be the conductor or something else we have yet to find out? Maybe it's referring to tuning their emotions into one another.

Hell maybe that whole last scene with her performance was supposed to be symbolic for the group all playing their parts just as she's planning.

Narag

The note A (though above middle-C) is the concert pitch that orchestras use to tune.

I'll read into it a little bit too much even though this is all probably super-reaching.

Since Nori-chan is in charge of the operation and they're working on getting them all in sync with one another, maybe she plays a more integral part with maintaining the group, whether she be the conductor or something else we have yet to find out? Maybe it's referring to tuning their emotions into one another.

Hell maybe that whole last scene with her performance was supposed to be symbolic for the group all playing their parts just as she's planning.

Doesn't sound like reading too much into it at all. Thanks!

Thoraxes

Asterisk - 19

Oh hey, time to buy this.

Thanks Rasmus Faber. That insert song is phenomenal. Wonderful harmonic color and great key choice using B-flat minor. It's got that rich, dark color to it that's just so warm.

Cornbread78

Kiznaiver ep.6
That was pretty damn good stuff. That Katsuhira x Sono convo was short on words, but very impactful. I guess he was further pointing out how she is separating herself more and more by pulling hurtful games with Hono's past. Interested to see what really happened with Ruru next week...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom