• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
DANBEST SENKI W - 24

CiddDR0VEAAMnCf.jpg:large
CidfInDU4AAHhwo.jpg:large

rfb7nl2sh6.gif
rfb7nl2sh6.gif
rfb7nl2sh6.gif
rfb7nl2sh6.gif

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Kiznaiver SIX:
Take on meeee
Take me onnnn
I'll be goooone
In a day or twoooo!~

Probably the first episode that made me say, "Oh, that was it?"
Not necessarily a bad thing though, as others have said here, a lot of the strength of this episode is what goes unsaid. You really can feel the heavy mood from the cast here.

Sharurururu

Catching up on some anime after not watching anything for two weeks.
Netoge 5
Damn Ako cracks me up with her "be gentle". Funny episode overall.

Would waifu if Erina didn't exist :v

Flying Witch 06

Damnit you guys tricked me.

Today's episode was adorable. It's gonna be cool if Chinatsu really does continue learning magic and we see more of these.

HaiYURI - 06: Contrary to popular belief, hamburgers are not popular with DEUTSCH
group bath,
WOLBACHIA,
minesweeper,
DEUTSCH can't eat beans,
blue mermaid sans frontieres.

"Let's run through the minefield with our speedboats! This won't end poorly!"

Literally the only thing that happened is that our heroes are aware of the kabane virus (unless you watch the Marvel after-credits scene)

Danball Senki 9

I really thought that they
were going to drop the container on the pilot cockpit

I guess that would be too dark. Also the industry and city night backgrounds are really good, they add a lot to the show atmosphere.

Jarmel

Banned
Kiznaiver-6
This was really well directed. It doesn't have the visual flair that the previous episode had but this was still done really well especially near the end. The episode used basic stuff such as shadows and physical distance to represent emotional distance. For example above, Maki is the only one in shadow and is physically isolated from everybody else.
There was also these two shots too even inside the group that show via the off-centered frames that Chidori and Tenga are kinda on opposite wavelengths. This is almost certainly setting up the Tenga/Chidori pairing. I can already see the fallout from this a mile away.
5PgOp4g.jpg

I guess Yuta is the type of guy who falls for the first girl to treat him like shit.
There was a lot of emphasis on body language and position this episode. While the side shots of the characters were ugly, they did convey the feelings of both parties pretty accurately. I'm kinda surprised in regards to Yuta, going into the show I expected him to be more of a morally black character but instead he seems like a generally nice guy. This episode also confirmed that Yuta's eyes will be 'open' when he's being honest or heartfelt. In recent episodes he's also being animated more often that way which might indicate his personality is shifting. I thought it was fitting that the person who does the most to hide his inner self is lecturing Maki on being honest. Of the entire cast, these two (besides maybe Sonozaki) put up fronts to the rest of the world. However it's for polar opposite reasons in that Yuta is pretending for shallow reasons while Maki has deep emotional trust issues stemming from Ruru. Yuta is the type who will pretend to be your friend when he isn't lonely while Maki won't pretend to be your friend even when she is lonely.
Wd8uajK.jpg

Cool shot due to how imposing the camera lens is.
I really liked this climax not just for the visual direction, which was great, but also the things left unstated. Nobody says it but the reason Maki is so heartbroken is because
she thought these people were acting like her friends when instead they treated her like a mission
. The distinction might not matter to most people but for her, that difference was the world. This reminds me of OreGaIru and Hachiman wanting something genuine. Do they care about her because they actually want to be her friends or is it only because of the Kiznaiver system? I suppose that's where Nico comes into play. I appreciated the cast knew they fucked up and why, without a big diatribe on someone's part. Hayashi's score flared up during the scene and he definitely delivered. That track in conjunction with the body language helped to convey the feelings of the characters with minimal dialogue.
I thought the leadup to this scene and the actual scene itself was extremely impressive for a number of reasons. The first being they used
Maki's twitch to foreshadow Sonozaki's twitch. In the first case, it's extremely obvious to the audience as to what Maki is feeling. In the later case however, the only body language used for most of the scene is Sonozaki's twitch
. By using repetition, we can assume not only Sonozaki's reaction but the severity of her reaction. The other thing is the way Katsuhira is drawn. While his face might look similar to his normal downtrodden look, it's actually distinctly different which reflects his pissed off mood.
His mouth at the end is drawn almost as a straight line, while normally his mouth has a sort of upside down U shape to it. I wonder if Katsuhira has a similar standing animation order as to Kirei Kotomine in Fate/Zero, in which the animators went to extreme pains not to animate expression on Kotomine's face. Just as in Fate/Zero, that burst of emotion is all the more powerful due to how generally expression-less the character is. Another aspect of the direction in the scene is how the audience isn't shown Sonozaki's face until the very end of the scene. It's a very surprising level of restraint and general trust in the audience in that the director is depriving the audience of the money shot (being the character's face in this case) and letting us imagine how she's reacting. A similar technique was used in the ending of one of Mr.Robot's episodes in that we see a character reacting but not what they're reacting to and so the audience fills in the gaps using the body language of the character. It's impressive how understated the scene is, both visually and dialogue-based, despite the high emotional level of the characters involved.
What's truly amazing is how this show is both very much Okada and Trigger, and yet works masterfully well so far. This whole episode is just pure Okada fuckery but unlike so many of her prior shows, it actually works. Then on the direction side, the show definitely feels like a Trigger production but it's not drowning in the comedy and showing a striking amount of self-control. Both seem to be elevating (or making tolerable) the other side into a work that knows it's stupid and crazy yet still able to emotionally engage the audience.

Macross: Do You Remember Love?

The animation looked amazing, the titular song was really nice, and the romance/love triangle was handled a lot better, with less of the stupid decisions in the TV series. I miss the old Zentradi designs though, and while I do like how it changed up a lot of things instead of just compressing the TV's plot, I still think I preferred that to this one. Overall, pretty good.

Mailbox

Tanaka-kun episode 6

I liked the first half a good deal actually. The rainy setting (and as a result lower lighting) made me realize just how good and interesting the background art in this show is. Jesus, some of the design in this show is amazing.

The second half on the other hand I wasn't so keen on. It wasn't bad, a simple confusion plot about something Tanaka says during the first half, but it felt like it undermined the character of Echizen quite a bit. Mostly because it goes against so much that was established in episodes 2 and 3 especially the character relationships between Echizen and Miyano (Didn't they confess to each other? Am I misremembering that? If I'm not, was that then supposed to imply something else? Idk.) Its Certainly not a bad short plotline, as its quite quick and does offer the ocassional laugh or 2, but it just felt off.

Basically, this episode was filler. No new characters introduced and no real character moving happenings. Next episode looks to introduce Tanaka's sister so hopefully that one will be more interesting. That said, its also a Valentine's day episode, so I also expect some dumb romance stuff that really shouldn't be there; OH WELL.

It's very rare that you get so much awesome put into a long running show in general. I haven't grinned this much since Gintama. Why haven't I watched this earlier? It's a ton of fun.

Narag

It's very rare that you get so much awesome put into a long running show in general. I haven't grinned this much since Gintama. Why haven't I watched this earlier? It's a ton of fun.

I think there's multiple factors really:
  • Age of the show
  • Plastic shit for little boys show
  • Length of show
  • Level 5 related works not instilling much confidence
    etc.

I mean, who knew it was handled with such care?

I think there's multiple factors really:
  • Age of the show
  • Plastic shit for little boys show
  • Length of show
  • Level 5 related works not instilling much confidence
    etc.

I mean, who knew it was handled with such care?

Seems like Level 5 multimedia property anime are pretty good though, judging by this and Youkai Watch.

I'd imagine their own stuff yeah but in recent years, you can imagine what I figure pops into mind for the normal anime viewer even if it wasn't entirely their thing.

Yeah, seems like Gundam Age didn't work out so well. Though maybe that should be blamed on the general poor quality of the Gundam franchise and not Level 5!

I'm curious how the Time Boken anime that Tatsunoko and Level 5 are partnering on in the fall will turn out.

Narag

Had it not been for Corvo's warnings Danball Senki just might have made me want to watch Gundam AGE.

Case in point.

Yeah, seems like Gundam Age didn't work out so well. Though maybe that should be blamed on the general poor quality of the Gundam franchise and not Level 5!

Hino wrote like half of it soooooo

People shouldnt ignore card game, digital game, arcade game, and toy game based animes.

They shouldn't ignore them but someone has to brave the unknown and report back nonetheless.

Narag

"Didn't work out so well" is an understatement considering how many times I've heard Corvo compare Flit to Hitler and the show barely selling any Gunpla!

FYI this is another show you'd be pushing due to earnestness, sincerity of the characters, and 2D mecha despite the faltering of the ambitious storytelling approach if you had opinions of your own.

Thoraxes

Big Order - 05

Did he uh, you know...

With her.

uh

what

F8FYNtO.png

They did the whole not blood-related thing but yeah... and they showed the clothes just so you could further get the point.

FYI this is another show you'd be pushing due to earnestness, sincerity of the characters, and 2D mecha despite the faltering of the ambitious storytelling approach if you had opinions of your own.

are you trying to trick me with something here narag.

are you trying to trick me into watching gundam age

cause it won't work.

Mailbox

I don't know if "filler" is an appropriate word to use in a series that doesn't really have any "plot" to begin with.

I think that in a series that has a character introduction every episode so far, that an episode that doesn't have any worthwhile expension to the main cast or expansion to how the cast operates internally can be considered filler. Especially when we know a new character introduction is happening next episode.

Let me put it this way, each episode of Nozaki-kun introduces new characters and establishes a notion of how the episodes will play out in terms of scenes and story beats within the episodes themselves. Its not until all characters are introduced that we get into just hi-jinx with minimal progression. If this episode of Tanaka-kun was actually episode 10 or 11, after all the characters were introduced then I wouldn't really call it filler. But this episode, in the position it is in, feels like its just here to fill in a gap between the previous episode and the next without adding anything meaningful. Hence, filler.

though that may just be my definition of filler working here. Idk.

Big Order - 05

Did he uh, you know...

With her.

uh

what

http://i.imgur.com/F8FYNtO.png[/IMG

They did the whole not blood-related thing but yeah... and they showed the clothes just so you could further get the point.[/QUOTE]

It seems like they do, but it also seems implied that she may have been forcing it or controlling him in some way (ie: they were testing to see if she had Order potential and how everyone in the family currently has abilities dealing with control over others. )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom