• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quickies

Laughing Salesman NEW 04

Wow the guy in the first skit didn't even do anything wrong. How am I supposed to get any schadenfreude if the people don't even deserve come-uppance?

Little Witch Academia TV 16

I thought this episode was fine. Better then the majority of the first cour's episodes for certain, and we kinda needed a break from the Croix/Ursula drama.

THE WORLD Yamikuzan 04

gJaUVmM.jpg

Kado The Right Answer 00

So Japanese bureaucrats vs. The Borg? mite b cool

John Blade

I really only buy what I've already seen or something that I am super interested in. I love Spice and Wolf and have the vain hope of a season 3 someday...

Same as me for Spice and Wolf but it might be better just to read it from there as hope don't tend to work 100%.

Cornbread78

DN Angel ep.1-2
This has been on my PTW list forever now, so I decided to check out the first couple episodes. This is very Persona 5, but 15 years earlier, lol. Loser mode MC is going to gey annoying, but we'll see where the show goes with it all..

Green Green
...Green Green?
DN Angel ep.1-2

This has been on my PTW list forever now, so I decided to check out the first couple episodes. This is very Persona 5, but 15 years earlier, lol. Loser mode MC is going to gey annoying, but we'll see where the show goes with it all..

OMG DN Angel! one of my first manga as a kid. I have to watch it or try to buy the manga again, I have like the first 4 volumes.

Same as me for Spice and Wolf but it might be better just to read it from there as hope don't tend to work 100%.

Bah!

Still hoping for all the sequels we'll never get. But I am excited to get home and watch some of these on Blu-ray. Should be preferable to streaming them on Crunchyroll and Funimation, and admire the beautiful animation. :)

Quasar

That's what I started doing.my reading pile is enormous though and I am easily distracted by new shiny things so I've only made it a little ways in.

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Season 2 (Subtitled) Episode 123 – Duelists With the Rune Eyes

YGO sometimes has some of the most boring background stories, especially when they are the random one time antagonists of an arc :(

Yu-gi-oh! ZEXAL Season 1 Episode 16 - Training Days, Part 2
C-OE_5mXoAEjmZw.jpg:small
C-OG3CFXoAA3of8.jpg:small

Another great episode and this time not even about feeling the flow. Just friendship and valuing your comrades versus a guy who has abandoned friendships to focus on his own strength. Excellent message again, and ultimately for Yuuma, he's really grown.

Speaking more fully, I think Kado has a lot of interesting ideas from an intellectual/theoretical/science-fiction perspective, but its execution as a narrative leaves something to be desired. I would attribute this mainly to Shindo, who is a lame character to pair with the alien visitor. The female negotiator (whose purple hair gives her design an unpleasantly fantastical anime look as compared to the more realistic designs of the rest of the Japanese cast, especially the men) said it best: he doesn't seem human. He's such the perfect, rational negotiator that he isn't a good foil for the alien and isn't interesting to watch either by himself or with anyone else in the cast, even his sidekick who feels like the goofy best friend character from a bishoujo VN. Thus while I'm intrigued by the imaginative possibilities of alien contact the show presents, its attempts to ground that in the human world are comparatively weak. It doesn't help that the production, bouncing back between CG and 2D and between some interesting composite choices and completely bland backgrounds and layouts, feels all over the place. Perhaps it's unfair to compare to Anno and his crew, but Shin Godzilla did a much better job of making Japanese bureaucracy visually engaging.

I was amused by the alien saying that he came to Japan first because he felt like the Japanese were more willing to share with others than other nationalities. Having people from other countries come to Japan to tell the Japanese how great they were wasn't enough; now Japan is bringing in aliens from other dimensions to tell themselves how great they are!

Jarmel

Banned
Speaking more fully, I think Kado has a lot of interesting ideas from an intellectual/theoretical/science-fiction perspective, but its execution as a narrative leaves something to be desired. I would attribute this mainly to Shindo, who is a lame character to pair with the alien visitor. The female negotiator (whose purple hair gives her design an unpleasantly fantastical anime look as compared to the more realistic designs of the rest of the Japanese cast, especially the men) said it best: he doesn't seem human. He's such the perfect, rational negotiator that he isn't a good foil for the alien and isn't interesting to watch either by himself or with anyone else in the cast, even his sidekick who feels like the goofy best friend character from a bishoujo VN.

I actually thought the third episode did a good job of showing points of conflict between Yaha and him. They weren't on the same page for quite a few parts and have conflicting priorities in the negotiation. The show is also setting him up to be an antagonistic force against the female negotiator so the fact that he might be the best serves as a way of making her job harder. Humanity is kind of the underdog in this in the sense that Yaha is essentially a God and even the communicator, who is human, might take a different stance than expected or hoped for. So whatever the actual negotiations are like, it really establishes humanity as being at an extreme disadvantage.

My Hero Academia 5-13

GO BEYOND!

PLUS

ULLLLLLTTTRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

fiXfzUU.gif

Goddamn that was such a freakin amazing season. It started of nicely but slowly but goddamn did it ramp up. I love everything about this show minus some of the costume designs. The characters, powers, the freakin incredible soundtrack and animation, its all great. I also appreciate how they speak really good English in the show.

Deku is a great lead character who you cant help but root for, Uraraka is adorable and ditzy, and I love how Iida aka Emergency Exit sign keeps making a fool of himself. Bakugo looks like he's going to get some depth as well. Best part is that the villains look absolutely menacing. I'm sure this series is gonna go through some insane power creeps later on but I enjoyed the hell out of it.

I watched some of the famous clips in the dub and I gotta say they did a pretty great job with it.

Cant wait to dive into season 2.

Quasar

Silver Spoon ep.1

I think I laughed way more than I should have at a couple of these gags, but who cares when it was really funny. I'm going to enjoy this poor MC's misery more than I should as well.

Thanks. I needed a reason for a rewatch. Especially since I think the manga is on hiatus again.

Jintor

Persona 4 Golden The Animation 1-12

I'm still riding a Persona kick so I thought I'd run a quick refresher just skipping around and focusing on the interesting bits. I wish they'd emphasised the NG+ nature of it even more but it's alright as is with Yu shaking hands with everyone and just being super boss at basically everything he does.

Most of it basically fanservice the anime and I still hold that Marie is a largely eh character but the more I watched the more interested I became. They do some really good stuff with Adachi in episode 6-7 (
I never twigged until ep 7 that Adachi was actually to a great extent jealous of Yu's relationship with Dojima, and the montage of his nihilistic depression was actually well directed and pretty affecting.
).

I laughed really hard in episode 8 when the opening switched back to OG Persona 4 Animation opening because
Marie had deleted herself from the timeline so it couldn't still be Golden
. Good joke.

(fucking hot springs scene. How could they have that shit followed by the most amazing joke about Yu eating nanako's horrific valentine's day chocolate, i'm amazed)

KraytarJ

The Eccentric Family S1 1-3
I decided to check this one out after hearing everyone talk about it. I must say I'm very disappointed in this Benten character so far after hearing so much talk around her. At this point my understanding is she made a stew out of a tanuki, and a really well renowned one. Like that's such an unimaginably fucked up thing to do that I hope there's some clarification on that later because that's a half step away from murdering someone and eating them, in fact it's so close to it that it just shouldn't be legal. How does this society function in such a way that a tanuki as well renowned as the father seemed to be just gets eaten and that's okay.

Also the ears are weird.

blurr

Speaking more fully, I think Kado has a lot of interesting ideas from an intellectual/theoretical/science-fiction perspective, but its execution as a narrative leaves something to be desired. I would attribute this mainly to Shindo, who is a lame character to pair with the alien visitor. The female negotiator (whose purple hair gives her design an unpleasantly fantastical anime look as compared to the more realistic designs of the rest of the Japanese cast, especially the men) said it best: he doesn't seem human. He's such the perfect, rational negotiator that he isn't a good foil for the alien and isn't interesting to watch either by himself or with anyone else in the cast, even his sidekick who feels like the goofy best friend character from a bishoujo VN. Thus while I'm intrigued by the imaginative possibilities of alien contact the show presents, its attempts to ground that in the human world are comparatively weak. It doesn't help that the production, bouncing back between CG and 2D and between some interesting composite choices and completely bland backgrounds and layouts, feels all over the place. Perhaps it's unfair to compare to Anno and his crew, but Shin Godzilla did a much better job of making Japanese bureaucracy visually engaging.

I was amused by the alien saying that he came to Japan first because he felt like the Japanese were more willing to share with others than other nationalities. Having people from other countries come to Japan to tell the Japanese how great they were wasn't enough; now Japan is bringing in aliens from other dimensions to tell themselves how great they are!

Lot of valid points, I can understand and somewhat agree regarding Shindo but I haven't felt so strongly. There's a lot of neat things going on fundamentally but some odd choices in between when it comes to the characters or its production.

Aki-at

Tiger Mask W - 28

Seemed like a really rough episode but I still enjoyed it
no I didn't Tiger Mask how could you? I BELIEVED IN YOU! :(
Great little scene between Naoto and Takuma though!

Is it just me, or is there just no "must watch" series this season? Like Re:Creators seems like the one thing the majority of the thread has been watching but it's most inspired apathy here :p

MHA has been pretty solid. I guess my thing there is compared to when I watched the first season I've read the manga now lol.

I'm more excited for the term exams than the tournament TBH.
The whole thing is going to be absoluetly amazing with how BONES did the early episodes. I am preparing for some of the best sakuga moments in battle shonen's history. We already had Todoroki and Madman Deku....knowing what's to come, my hype can't go any higher!

sonicmj1

The Eccentric Family S1 1-3
I decided to check this one out after hearing everyone talk about it. I must say I'm very disappointed in this Benten character so far after hearing so much talk around her. At this point my understanding is she made a stew out of a tanuki, and a really well renowned one. Like that's such an unimaginably fucked up thing to do that I hope there's some clarification on that later because that's a half step away from murdering someone and eating them, in fact it's so close to it that it just shouldn't be legal. How does this society function in such a way that a tanuki as well renowned as the father seemed to be just gets eaten and that's okay.

Also the ears are weird.

I've seen this come up a few times, and I can't exactly blame people for being bothered by it, but I feel like it's missing the point to apply normal ethics to how humans deal with tanuki. Like, the family themselves (while bereaved) aren't upset with the Friday Fellows for what happened. Other tanuki aren't rebelling against the arrangement. So is there really a problem?

I think on some level, you have to "suspend your disbelief" and take the show at its word. Tanuki can transform, but they aren't humans. They're different. They have their own way of living, and their own place in the world. They're playful and mischievous, but they also go with the flow and embrace their role within the natural order. The Eccentric Family is presented from their perspective, and we as the audience are then tasked to try to understand that perspective, without immediately dismissing it based on our prejudices.

In the natural order of things, plants grow, animals eat them, other animals eat those animals, and that's how things are. It's not evil (or good) for a hawk to eat a mouse, or a human to eat a pig. So why is it evil for a human to eat a tanuki?

At the very least, I'm not sure why the Friday Fellows should be expected to know or care which tanuki are distinguished and which are not.

Zero Mahou Ep 4

I like the world building in this anime. We really get a good taste whats its like to live in this world and the relationships with its different races. The kid is not necessary and I would like to see him less and less.

KraytarJ

I've seen this come up a few times, and I can't exactly blame people for being bothered by it, but I feel like it's missing the point to apply normal ethics to how humans deal with tanuki. Like, the family themselves (while bereaved) aren't upset with the Friday Fellows for what happened. Other tanuki aren't rebelling against the arrangement. So is there really a problem?

I think on some level, you have to "suspend your disbelief" and take the show at its word. Tanuki can transform, but they aren't humans. They're different. They have their own way of living, and their own place in the world. They're playful and mischievous, but they also go with the flow and embrace their role within the natural order. The Eccentric Family is presented from their perspective, and we as the audience are then tasked to try to understand that perspective, without immediately dismissing it based on our prejudices.

In the natural order of things, plants grow, animals eat them, other animals eat those animals, and that's how things are. It's not evil (or good) for a hawk to eat a mouse, or a human to eat a pig. So why is it evil for a human to eat a tanuki?

At the very least, I'm not sure why the Friday Fellows should be expected to know or care which tanuki are distinguished and which are not.
My problem is that tanuki aren't like animals or things we would deem acceptable to eat considering not only can they transform into being indistinguishable from humans and can converse with them. It's just really weird that in this world's dynamic tanuki stew is a thing some people eat considering that tanuki they're eating could be one they just talked to last week.

Also the thing about the tanuki being eaten being well renowned is more aimed at the tanukis and my problem is why would they be okay with it. I guess because they don't at least at the point I'm at act like inferiors to humans so it just seems real weird that they're just okay with it.

Yakuza 0 Chapter 9

Guys, Kuze might actually be invincible.

Also I don't care what anyone says, Tachibana you're my friend!

Partially because you're honest with me, and also because I haven't played the other games, so I don't know what Nishikiyama is to me exactly.

zulux21

who the fuck from America says "old sport"???

I do mockingly to my friend when I have destroyed him in a competitive game and wish to salt the wounds >.>

"How did you like that one, old sport."

"you can't play like you used to old sport."

ect :p

My problem is that tanuki aren't like animals or things we would deem acceptable to eat considering not only can they transform into being indistinguishable from humans and can converse with them. It's just really weird that in this world's dynamic tanuki stew is a thing some people eat considering that tanuki they're eating could be one they just talked to last week.

Also the thing about the tanuki being eaten being well renowned is more aimed at the tanukis and my problem is why would they be okay with it. I guess because they don't at least at the point I'm at act like inferiors to humans so it just seems real weird that they're just okay with it.

Interesting conversation. I actually just rewatched the series, and I find this aspect of it both fascinating and perplexing.

Ultimately you have to buy into the show's moral take and "suspend your disbelief," as sonicmj suggests. I think the tanuki are explicitly working off a different moral compass -- they do view themselves as a lower species who are innately at the mercy of humans and tengu. What makes Uchoten tough is that these are creatures with a clearly human level of sentience, and who carry many of the same morals and priorities as humans do -- a love of family first and foremost. But these morals aren't always consistent in the show. Instinctually (humanly?), love of family should translate into animosity towards those who threaten your family. But it doesn't translate into animosity towards the Friday Fellows, who are clearly the greatest threat to Yasaburo's family, while it does translate into animosity towards another villain character in the first season, who poses the exact same threat to Yasaburo's family. Why one but not the other?

I think sonicmj's read on the food chain nature of the tanuki hot pot is the read the show wants you to have, but for an entire sentient race to accept the food chain transforms a natural cycle into a willing defeatism, which is nihilistic in a way the show tonally isn't. I feel like the decision to eat a being you know is sentient also complicates matters more than a simple sustenance-based food chain relationship. The life-or-death stakes are at odds with the flippancy of the characters, and the show just doesn't consistently impart the significance of death in its world. In the case of the father, it feels like the tanuki just roll over and accept it as the way things are, but when other tanuki characters are later threatened, suddenly the threat to their lives not only matters but should be prevented.

Regardless, it's a beautiful show, and the writing is good enough where I have hope the author saw at least some of this going on. There's one odd thing that happens with the introduction of this "to eat is to love" concept that gets completely and purposefully ditched by the end. Stuff like that makes me hope there's more going on behind the show's stated philosophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom