• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
To us as humans, accepting that one is part of a food chain and that being eaten by something which can communicate with you intelligently, is nihilistic. To them, fun things are fun watch out don't get captured if you are going out to enjoy the human world, if you do too bad so sad.

Well put. "Too bad so sad, but fun things are fun" seems an apt way to express the tanuki mentality, right down to the phrasing. I suppose critters in fables and fairy tales don't despair over being chased and eaten either. They live happy-go-lucky lives and attempt to avoid being eaten, but don't get into an existential crisis over it. And certainly given its tone, character archetypes, and subject matter, Eccentric Family is something of a fairy tale.

To rephrase the idea, I think one of the toughest things for me is that this show often makes an emotional appeal using human values. The parts of this show that I find the most powerful, like the second brother's self-loathing, or the way Soichiro's death unites the family he leaves behind, impacted me because I could empathize with these characters and their relationships through human experience. Ultimately the show only asks the viewer to buy into one distinct difference between tanuki and human values: their view towards being preyed upon. On a logical level, I can and should be able to accept this is a fantastical race with a different view of the world. But because the show did such a great job getting me to care about these characters through human values, on my initial watch of the show I found their resignation towards the hot pot ritual incredibly aggravating. I remember that one thing that really bothered me in particular is that Kinkaku and Ginkaku do some truly reprehensible things, purposefully trying to murder their cousins in a greedy vie for power, yet the show and its characters let them off scot-free.

Also complicating matters are characters like Benten and the Professor. These characters are humans, and so their capricious disregard for sentient life should be abhorrent, but the show doesn't frame them that way and Yasaburo has affection for both of them. Clearly the show is aware of this, as Yasaburo point out that his affection for these characters doesn't make sense and calls it a manifestation of his "idiocy." And in a sense this is admirable for creating a set of unexpected, interesting, and complicated relationships. But it's just so at odds with my own reaction that I can't help but feel alienated at times. I suppose you can ask why I should care so much if the characters themselves don't, but it's precisely because the show is so human in its most engaging moments that it's hard for me to turn off my sense of values at other times.

John Blade

amagami11-3.jpg

Love the ending of this arc as you got to see how Sae Nakata change from a quiet shy girl to someone who have determine to talk people normally and take more responsibility in her life, mostly thanks for Tachibana who basically train her. Also, seeing Tachibana realize how much special Sae is to him might be the trigger to be closer to her. Lastly, the ending for this Arc might be one of the top special as it end in a way you want to see with them. In a way, I love Sae Nakata like this than she is in the other part of the other arc. Kinda sad really.
52522445_624.gif

Have you seen Yu Yu Hakusho?

I haven't but I'm pretty sure it has that title of "pinnacle of shounen animation" and MHA isn't beating it any time soon.
Yu yu hakusho looks good, but the pinnacle? Pretty sure the way season 2 is building up it could easily beat it in the animation departement.

Cornbread78

Bastard Sensei ep.4
Not as much stupid fun as the other episodes, and this merely set up the plot for some evil plotting in the background that will happen next week... Can't they just let these magic students have some fun without evil plottings going on?

Jarmel

Banned
Bungou Stray Dogs S2: 1-4
I decided to do this writeup because duckroll is being a stubborn bastard. Let me first start off by saying that I dropped the show during initial broadcast because the tone was chaotic and I didn't connect with any of the characters. Season 1 is a mess. The only time I think S1 is actually good is episode 7-10, which I'll go into some other time. The reason I'm saying all of this is because I know a few of you dropped the show for similar reasons. So when resuming my watch of the show I went in with a somewhat cynical perspective and went into S2 possibly even more jaded. However this opening arc of the second cour of Bungou Stray Dogs is really something exceptional. It's detached enough as well so that if you dislike or generally hated the cast in S1, you can still watch this four-parter with little grief. Honestly it's so different from the rest of the show in almost all facets that it should be viewed as its own entity. They could have easily released this as a standalone movie. So if you hate the rest of the franchise, it's not an excuse not to watch this.
What makes this so phenomenal isn't the originality, nothing in this arc hasn't been done before. It's the execution. I've watched a lot of anime, too much unfortunately, over a number of years and this is the closest I've gotten to a spiritual Cowboy Bebop sequel (it's actually probably closer to a remake). I would have never guessed that Igarashi had this in him. Yea he's done good to great stuff but this is far and away the strongest effort I've seen from him. It's not just the storyboarding though but the sound direction, animation, layouts, color usage, and general narrative quality.
The show goes full noir on almost all fronts and the show skyrockets from a quality standpoint as a result. It's sort of like the difference between Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night in that by having an older protagonist, there's more weight to his background and decisions. The audience knows this arc is going end in tragedy but the show makes you care about some of the new characters such as Oda. It really establishes that Oda is a good person despite his shady work and background. He goes to lengths to avoid killing, takes care of kids, and is generally the most likable of the new main trio. He has an actual life goal that doesn't involve fighting or killing. Not to mention he plays well off Dazai due to contrast.
Even non-new characters such as Dazai are noticeably more interesting compared to their regular variants. Dazai has a certain edge to him that is missing in the present era. While he's still goofy, he's also more serious and it serves his character well. Aspects like Dazai's suicide gimmick are suddenly treated solemnly in that it ties into Oda's impression of Dazai and Oda's characterization. Hell, Edogawa makes an appearance and while it's initially done in a jokey fashion, he's used as a way of confirming the determination of Oda.
It's not just the characters though. This arc treats Port Mafia like an actual mafia organization, something the show never did well before or after. There is a structured hierarchy that has long term business goals along with minor mafia things like protection rackets. It feels like an actual world now with things such as government intrusion. Expanding on that note, there's more of an emphasis on guns and it again helps to ground this show oriented around super powers. The final fight has two people using superpowers to predict each other's moves but they're also using wrist-mounted pistol reloaders. The whole thing feels real in a manner that the 'regular' show never did.
This is the story about a man essentially trying to become a better person before realizing that he can't and that he's doomed to wander the darkness. There's the feeling that you can't run from your past and that a person can't change who they are. Dazai is working for Port Mafia to fill a void in himself but discerns at the end that he's gonna have to live with that feeling of emptiness. He might be able to move forward while Oda was yanked back into his past and couldn't escape it. It's interesting how the positions became reversed over the course of the arc. At the end, Dazai was trying to talk Oda down instead of the other-way around in episode 1.
XshJRvC.jpg

I thought about doing a webm of this scene but feel it's better seen in the episode.
I wanted to talk about this scene as it's far and away the most emotionally charged sequence of the show and it's masterfully directed. If Julia's death in Cowboy Bebop was beautiful, almost surreal, then this is ugly. Oda is physically blown back by an explosion and a result suffers temporary noise-induced hearing loss. Besides the realism of the scene in that being so close to an explosion would cause the ringing, it serves as a way of inserting the audience into Oda through sound. Just as Oda can't hear himself scream, the audience can't as well. The show is syncing viewpoints which then flows into Oda's mental space. The silence in Oda's mind while talking to the author is punctuating his loss. This contrast of sound again works when the show transitions back into reality where the ringing is gone and we can hear Oda screaming in full clarity. I have to give Suwabe a ton of praise just for this scene. I can't imagine how many takes it took to get this right. You can hear him trying to scream in a belabored breathing sort of way, only for it at the end to slowly progress into an actual cry. It's so goddamn raw.
That was just the audio. The line work takes a 'sketchy' stance to show Oda's mental breakdown. It's not really that prominent but it's there enough to visually illustrate Oda's emotion. The storyboarding is also a bit clever by having the author disappear when Oda says he can't write anymore. The author was Oda's internal voice reigning him in and serving as his beacon. That's dead now along with his future. He's all alone.
Oda's assault on the mansion seems like a big homage to Spike's final raid on Vincent's building. It's storyboarded similarly I think early on. There's also the Shinbo-like primary color usage on Oda and Gide, during the final duel, reflecting their emotions. Oda is cold and dead to the world at this point while Gide is enjoying his final dance. I feel that this is a prime example of Igarashi at his peak and what he could potentially be with great source material. His voice came through loud and clear. It's a shame that the rest of the series isn't of this caliber.

John Blade

Someone else who liked Sae's arc.

John Blade is in my good book.

Well...I like the ending for Sae Nakata Arc on SS+ then on SS (which it make sense as SS ending just end very randomly). SS+ ending for her is much better based on how much she have change when she came to school for the 1st time to the conclusion. You can say, she is one of the girl who have the most change in the story. Like I say, I now start to dislike her a bit of her from the after Arc as I want the new Sae not the old one.

As for the best arc girl, I can't say as I have two more girls (maybe a third) to get through but
Sae Nakata and Ai Nanasaki have the nice ending to them on SS+. Rihoko Sakurai have a proper ending on SS+ which I never get on SS (which make sense as it's a one side love in SS) and Tsukasa Ayatsuji Arc to me is still better in SS but SS+ just push more character development between her and Tachibana which is fine.

Well, 2 to 3 girls to go now. Then the OVA and I am done this franchise. From there, I need to get some anime ready for my long journey.

Cornbread78

Fukumenkei Noise ep.3
The internal drama with these two characters is really heartfelt and while this may be an issue of unrequited love in two different directions with the three main characters, something will have to give pretty soon. Well, from the text Yuzu sent Momo at the end of this episode, it looks like it may come sooner than later. Either way, this was pretty good yet again.

I can't fully appreciate that street Doggie mafias arc use of the most by the books revenge plot device that made me laugh instead of caring.

At that point he should have gone "oh well but at least the puppy orphanage next door is f- Oh God noooooooo"

Bungo strays dogs was a great show. The 4 episodes about Dazai'd past are just the absolute best part of it.

I wonder how much longer before funimation finally dubs it.

Also complicating matters are characters like Benten and the Professor. These characters are humans, and so their capricious disregard for sentient life should be abhorrent, but the show doesn't frame them that way and Yasaburo has affection for both of them. Clearly the show is aware of this, as Yasaburo point out that his affection for these characters doesn't make sense and calls it a manifestation of his "idiocy." And in a sense this is admirable for creating a set of unexpected, interesting, and complicated relationships. But it's just so at odds with my own reaction that I can't help but feel alienated at times. I suppose you can ask why I should care so much if the characters themselves don't, but it's precisely because the show is so human in its most engaging moments that it's hard for me to turn off my sense of values at other times.

The professor is not aware that tanuki are sentient - Yasaburo carefully conceals his true nature from him. Meanwhile Benten, while technically human, should not be viewed as just an ordinary human. According to the author, she is "an embodiment of all female mysteries men do not understand... basically a Shinto diety." So she is something of an otherworldly character herself.

Bungou Stray Dogs S2: 1-4 is damn amazing, sadly it's connected to the rest of the season which I can only consider average (I don't like the combat system of the show, McGuffin story plot or the MC). At least someone can just watch eps 1-4 and have an amazing time without needing to watch the below average S1 or continue with S2.

Jarmel

Banned
I've had this show on my queue for quite some time. Maybe I should pick it up...

I want to be clear, I'm not recommending the show as a whole. I have too many issues with the characters and tone currently.

I'm not finished yet so it may change. S2 is better but not to the point where I can say S1 is worth it.

I want to be clear, I'm not recommending the show as a whole. I have too many issues with the characters and tone currently.

I'm not finished yet so it may change. S2 is better but not to the point where I can say S1 is worth it.

I see.

I got other things to watch, catch up with, and play. I also have all that anime I bought the other day I need to watch so that way I can confirm nothing is wrong with the disks. So if you say you're not sure if it's worth going through season 1 than I will just place it on the back-burner again until season 2 comes closer to its conclusion.

If it's a completely stand alone arc, I wonder if it's an indication of what to expect from the upcoming film.

It's not completely stand alone - it's explicitly referenced multiple times throughout the rest of season 2 and used to give character motivations and ground the central character arcs of the present day sequence of the show. But since it is backstory it doesn't expect prior knowledge of anything else.

Anyway, even if Jarmel doesn't recommend the show as a whole, I will. But that's just me.

Jarmel

Banned
If it's a completely stand alone arc, I wonder if it's an indication of what to expect from the upcoming film.

Well it's not completely stand alone as it does give background info on Dazai.

As for the upcoming movie I don't know. The poster has Dazai on it along with his old Port Mafia partner so it might be past oriented which would be great.

Cornbread78

Sukasuka ep.3
Looks like they are still working hard to build the world around these fairies and their fate. The MC is trying to do what he can to project them, but the show continues to ooze a tone of uncertainty and sadness.

Narag

I don't even remember who Dazai is. I think I watched 6 episodes before bailing out.

Igarashi af guy that wants to suicide nonstop and has the power to cancel powers.

He's a joke character on the first cour but becomes the soul of the show after the beginning of s2.

Yea, MHA doesn't have that kind of artistic direction going for it.

Yea no, it does. From the opening to the last few episodes it looked beautiful, dynamic, full of great colours and the anime just burst of energy. They use shades perfectly. You can not like the art-style though, opinions are a thing.

Yama no Susume S2 8

The direction of this episode was not particularly subtle, but I appreciated the way it visually portrayed Aoi's worries about whether she was adequate to climb Mt. Fuji. There was deliberate use of light and shadow throughout to showcase her downcast mood in contrast with the others:

Note how she is both shaded darker and has her face hidden from the camera, in contrast to the brighter and clearer visages of the other two. Then, as her phone call to Kaede gives her newfound strength, the clouds over the moon literally part as her shadowed and hooded face comes into the light:

wpGPmsz.jpg

C-Ry-EvXYAAwR4E.jpg

The hood falls off by itself as her head raises upon hearing Kaede's words of encouragement.

Going the extra mile with the presentation like this helps to make a fairly simple emotional conflict impactful and uplifting. Even if we aren't completely confident of success, there is still merit in giving our best.

WorldEnd 3

After a decent first episode, I feel like this show is squandering its potential. A lot of bad light novel lines in this episode in particular. It doesn't help that the warehouse where they're keeping the girls is pretty visually dull. I guess I do kinda appreciate how this reformed King K. Rool minion doesn't appear to be evil, and actually seems to care about the girls on some level.

download_1.png

Not really sure how exactly he gets around on this cramped little ship tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom