• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I think when people struggle with the logic in Eccentric Family, they are struggling with the quirkiness of some elements of magic realism fundamentally. The problem is, you can't think of these things as how humans in normal society relate to things. There are different rules, different values, and that alters the psychology. Tanuki don't want to be eaten, but they accept that it is a risk they take by coexisting in the world on this level. If they wanted they could move to some remote place with no humans and just live there. But they clearly enjoy the quasi-human lifestyle. They have magical powers and whatnot, so why do they allow humans to lord over them? They don't. They don't see it as lording over them, merely a difference in values. Some humans want to eat Tanuki, and they're not going to lobby against that. Should they? Could they? Maybe. That could be another story if a Tanuki ever gets that idea and acts on it. But I think one of the most interesting aspects is that the magic layer leverages on the Tanuki powers to mimic. This is important because it indicates that they are not creative or inventive by nature but adaptive and reactive in nature. Which means if they see something cool that they like, they partake in it by copying those who enjoy the same thing, but they don't seem to come up with original things on their own. In that sense, they need humans because these Tanuki enjoy the lifestyles they do because humans invented it. Without us there would be no cities, no houses, no clothing, no buses, no trains, no fireworks, no pagodas.

To us as humans, accepting that one is part of a food chain and that being eaten by something which can communicate with you intelligently, is nihilistic. To them, fun things are fun watch out don't get captured if you are going out to enjoy the human world, if you do too bad so sad. That's also not to say there is no agency. If they KNOW someone is captured or in danger and they can help, of course they might try. But after the fact if the person is eaten, well, like I said, they just get over it. Too bad so sad, but fun things are fun. I don't find it hard to accept or contradictory. It's just weird and alien but played for laughs in light hearted ways. Some of it might seem unusually cruel but... this is not our world and they don't share our values. They only coexist with us because they find our ways fascinating and way to copy them superficially.

Jarmel

Banned
bungou stray dogs s2 1-4
XshJRvC.jpg
oh my godddddddd
oh my goddddddddddddddd
oh my goddddddddddddddddddddddd

This arc is by far the best thing Igarashi has ever done at BONES. I feel like I just watched him at his peak as a director. It's one of those moments when you realized you watched a masterpiece. I absolutely have to go to sleep and I can't stop thinking about this. The entire fucking series should be like this arc. It's as if someone decided to remake the 2-parter Cowboy Bebop finale in 2016 except make it four episodes instead.

Thoraxes

That first arc of S2 Bungo is quite good. There's good reason I placed it so high on my rankings list. The music really helped elevate that arc for me, too.

Dio

Banned
Yeah. It's also surprisingly good looking.

Probably the first Chinese animation show for me that's consistently good looking enough to compare with the shit Japan pushes out every season. Hope they can keep this up for 60 episodes.

The studio working on this kind of feels like they're trying ufotable techniques with less budget, but it looks good enough to compete with the Japanese stuff this season.

Oh right, there's a teaser for Episode 5 already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RydQjlHEuZ4

Looks like an awesome episode.

Ascheroth

Alice and Zouroku 04

Zouroku is great.
But I really don't like the direction this has taken. The evil organization shit is way too much in the foreground for my liking, and there were barely any fun magical slice-of-lifey moments before dramatic shit happened.
At least the kidnapping seems to get resolved by next episode?
But ehhhh.

Grimoire of Zero 03

Outside of the super cringey shopping scene I found this episode to be more entertaining than the previous ones.

The whole thing is going to be absoluetly amazing with how BONES did the early episodes. I am preparing for some of the best sakuga moments in battle shonen's history. We already had Todoroki and Madman Deku....knowing what's to come, my hype can't go any higher!

MHA hasn't had a single outstanding fight in terms of animation, which astounds me considering its BONES.

Alice & Zouroku - 04

I'm not sure if I'm fond about the tonal shifts of this series. I do think it portrays the fun and dark scenes fairly well on their own but in the end we're still going from 'fuwa fuwa piglet timuuuu' to 'bust a cap into a small child's leg who previously already pissed herself out of fear and having a major existential crisis'.

Like, god damn, this is some fucked shit and while there's no constant mood whiplash from scene to scene, as a whole it still doesn't seem right.

What I continue to appreciate is how the show's quick to explain its mysteries. Too often these sort of shows rely on keeping you hooked via some distant mystery reveal because that's all they got to offer.

Eccentric Family S2 - 01-03

I wasn't all too fond of the finale couple episodes of S1 and was afraid I might not like S2 as much. But I can put those worries aside as it's been excellent so far. Despite rarely liking worlds that feel too loosely defined and random Eccentric Family's world manages to be positively wondrous. Coupled with a strong art direction and quirky ideas you get these sequences like the moon removal/minimization which are just great. Am enjoying some of the new characters like Tenmaya and Nidaime thoroughly. Hopefully this season will spent significantly less time with Akadama leering at Benten.

Ascheroth

MHA hasn't had a single outstanding fight in terms of animation, which astounds me considering its BONES.

All Might vs Noumu was really good - barring the simplified/offmodel art, but I assume that's been cleaned up for the BDs?
In any case, Todoroki freezing the robots was better than everything from season 1 and that wasn't even a proper fight. Given how good the schedule for season 2 seems to be, I'd like to believe there will be some awesome stuff coming.

Cornbread78

Grimoire of Zero 03
Outside of the super cringey shopping scene I found this episode to be more entertaining than the previous ones.
Grimoire of Zero ep.3
Well, outside of the ridiculous LN moment in the clothing shop, this was decent. Didn't realize Zero was old enough to drink

Yup, on the dame page here, lol.

The later drinking scene gave the realization that Zero was "of age" but that shopping scene was pretty much not needed at all, especially, the pervy clerk's reaction...

The rest of the episode was pretty fun.

All Might vs Noumu was really good - barring the simplified/offmodel art, but I assume that's been cleaned up for the BDs?
In any case, Todoroki freezing the robots was better than everything from season 1 and that wasn't even a proper fight. Given how good the schedule for season 2 seems to be, I'd like to believe there will be some awesome stuff coming.

If you are ignoring the existense of All Might vs Noumu, Deku's first SMASH, Deku's fight for first place and Todoroki fight against 0p, sure.

+plus pretty much what Ascheroth said.

None of those fights are outstanding, even in terms of the shonen genre. Like you said, that part Nakamura did was the only standout after so many episodes.

Boruto 01-03

I've been avoiding this show because I was secretly thinking I would like it and I didn't want to like more Naruto stuff.

Well shit I like it and I can deal with Boruto's attitude moreso than I could deal with his father's attitude. Being a more than competent ninja kid who is friendly but has a hang up about his father not being home more often is a lot easier to deal with.

Ascheroth

None of those fights are outstanding, even in terms of the shonen genre. Like you said, that part Nakamura did was the only standout after so many episodes.

My point was more that there was some awesome animation despite there not actually being a proper fight yet in Season 2.

I should have probably clarified that I'm not saying MHA is the pinnacle of shonen action animation, just that it does have some cool stuff.

My point was more that there was some awesome animation despite there not actually being a proper fight yet in Season 2.

I should have probably clarified that I'm not saying MHA is the pinnacle of shonen action animation, just that it does have some cool stuff.
You should be able to say that soon no worries :p

Cornbread78

Nana ep.35
Things are totally spiraling out of control for them all at this point. Clearly, nobody will be a winner in this situation. Nana is going to fight though..

Aki-at

Yakuza 0 Chapter 9

Guys, Kuze might actually be invincible.

Also I don't care what anyone says, Tachibana you're my friend!

Partially because you're honest with me, and also because I haven't played the other games, so I don't know what Nishikiyama is to me exactly.

Tachibana is really a bro, one of my favourite characters in the game. Nishikiyama is like Kiryu's brother, they were both raised in an orphanage together.

Clov

I think when people struggle with the logic in Eccentric Family, they are struggling with the quirkiness of some elements of magic realism fundamentally. The problem is, you can't think of these things as how humans in normal society relate to things. There are different rules, different values, and that alters the psychology. Tanuki don't want to be eaten, but they accept that it is a risk they take by coexisting in the world on this level. If they wanted they could move to some remote place with no humans and just live there. But they clearly enjoy the quasi-human lifestyle. They have magical powers and whatnot, so why do they allow humans to lord over them? They don't. They don't see it as lording over them, merely a difference in values. Some humans want to eat Tanuki, and they're not going to lobby against that. Should they? Could they? Maybe. That could be another story if a Tanuki ever gets that idea and acts on it. But I think one of the most interesting aspects is that the magic layer leverages on the Tanuki powers to mimic. This is important because it indicates that they are not creative or inventive by nature but adaptive and reactive in nature. Which means if they see something cool that they like, they partake in it by copying those who enjoy the same thing, but they don't seem to come up with original things on their own. In that sense, they need humans because these Tanuki enjoy the lifestyles they do because humans invented it. Without us there would be no cities, no houses, no clothing, no buses, no trains, no fireworks, no pagodas.

To us as humans, accepting that one is part of a food chain and that being eaten by something which can communicate with you intelligently, is nihilistic. To them, fun things are fun watch out don't get captured if you are going out to enjoy the human world, if you do too bad so sad. That's also not to say there is no agency. If they KNOW someone is captured or in danger and they can help, of course they might try. But after the fact if the person is eaten, well, like I said, they just get over it. Too bad so sad, but fun things are fun. I don't find it hard to accept or contradictory. It's just weird and alien but played for laughs in light hearted ways. Some of it might seem unusually cruel but... this is not our world and they don't share our values. They only coexist with us because they find our ways fascinating and way to copy them superficially.

This is a great way of looking at The Eccentric Family's world. Personally I had no trouble buying into it; it's different, but that's just their way of life. It's really interesting, and it's part of why I love the series so much.

Interesting conversation. I actually just rewatched the series, and I find this aspect of it both fascinating and perplexing.

Ultimately you have to buy into the show's moral take and "suspend your disbelief," as sonicmj suggests. I think the tanuki are explicitly working off a different moral compass -- they do view themselves as a lower species who are innately at the mercy of humans and tengu. What makes Uchoten tough is that these are creatures with a clearly human level of sentience, [...]

I think when people struggle with the logic in Eccentric Family, they are struggling with the quirkiness of some elements of magic realism fundamentally. The problem is, you can't think of these things as how humans in normal society relate to things. There are different rules, different values, and that alters the psychology. Tanuki don't want to be eaten, but they accept that it is a risk they take by coexisting in the world on this level. [...]

magic

realism

benten

Yep. Good posts about it. It's an interesting issue to discuss.

At the end of they day, it's true you have to 'suspend your belief'. But this isn't totally arbitrary. The trick here is to recognize that Eccentric family setting is even more a mix of fantasy fables and present reality than it may seem a first. Not only the supernatural beings and their magic is introduced in our real world, also the weird logic and morals of those mythological fables with talking animals are introduced in a very unique meld, that's why some humans may want to eat a tanuki even if they are sentient. Not only Tanukis logic is a bit warped, it happens the same with the humans. It isn't really our world, I suppose, even if it seems at surface level.

That said, and I may have fooling myself here, but I think Benten in the current moment wouldn't eat a tanuki, after the more personal relations she had with them. She showed deference in the last episode of season 1 to the tanuki family.
We have to imagine she was in a different moment of her life before (more focused on climbing up the magical power ladder?) when it happened.

Cornbread78

Alice & Zouroku - 04
I'm not sure if I'm fond about the tonal shifts of this series. I do think it portrays the fun and dark scenes fairly well on their own but in the end we're still going from 'fuwa fuwa piglet timuuuu' to 'bust a cap into a small child's leg who previously already pissed herself out of fear and having a major existential crisis'.
Like, god damn, this is some fucked shit and while there's no constant mood whiplash from scene to scene, as a whole it still doesn't seem right.
What I continue to appreciate is how the show's quick to explain its mysteries. Too often these sort of shows rely on keeping you hooked via some distant mystery reveal because that's all they got to offer.
Alice and Zouroku 04
Zouroku is great.
But I really don't like the direction this has taken. The evil organization shit is way too much in the foreground for my liking, and there were barely any fun magical slice-of-lifey moments before dramatic shit happened.
At least the kidnapping seems to get resolved by next episode?
But ehhhh..

While I completely agree about episode through going in a terrible direction using kidnapping and the "evil adults" tropes to the max, episode 4 did a much better job of continuing the story with good dialog with Zouroku to both Minnie C and Alice. The tone of the situation was right on for the situation and they didn't fall into the typical trap of breaking up a really serious moment with a comedic bit, but rather, let it all play out naturally as the character dialog took over. Also, they didn't use a$$pull methods to diffuse the situation. They did however, greatly expand the world and I'm sure we will get another big jump this weekend because of that ending reveal with the agent that saved them. She was also using the
Dreams of Alice power crystals
Looks like there is a much larger story to tell still and I hope we still get more of those light-hearted SoL moments in the future as well.

Overall, I'm really liking the show, I just hope they do not fall into that ep 3 plot device trap again, especially now that we are learning more about Alice's power...

lol wut

The All Might fight was outstanding. wtf

Saying the All Might fight is not outstanding makes you lose credibility.

Its a good fight but there's not enough there to be outstanding. Calm down GoldCrusader.

I expected more tbh. There was that one power ranger like show that had a ton of work from Nakamura recently which was amazing.

Moaradin

Nakamura isn't done with MHA if the PVs have anything to say. I'm expecting some great scenes. We already got some nice moments considering there hasn't even been any fighting yet.

Line_HTX

Kado, the Right Answer 03

Holy shit, I don't think this is going to end well. I mean how are you supposed to have any sort of negotiating leverage when you are offered an infinite supply of energy from a higher brain tier?

Ascheroth

Literally watching chinese cartoons now.
And it's actually good.

Is the end nigh?

The King's Avatar 02

I quite like the OP and ED.
I love how nonchalant and unfazed Ye Xiu is.

The novel is more detailed though, the anime doesn't really explain wtf the skills and classes even do and what's so special about his playstyle and strategies.
Unless that comes up later, but I kinda doubt it.
Still a fun watch though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom