• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I don't understand why the video is about "anime" when it applies to... any form of entertainment media in general? I mean, the only way it seems to make sense to me is if anime is the only fucking thing you ever watch or consume. No disrespect!!!

zulux21

It's definitely been a roller coaster so far and these last few episodes have been really tough on Nana....

Breakdown incoming, I can already see it and Ren knows it as well!

yeah the emotional ride in nana is great :p

can't wait to see your reactions to the end lol.

I don't understand why the video is about "anime" when it applies to... any form of entertainment media in general? I mean, the only way it seems to make sense to me is if anime is the only fucking thing you ever watch or consume. No disrespect!!!
Hot take i only watch Anime and youtube when there is no new starz or HBO show I care about

Cornbread78

Well, the narrator was pretty specific when he was referring to HIS story and how watching anime caused a certain emotional response. Sure, it can be applied universally to all types of media, but he was really specific in regards to Anime.

I actually get what he means; I've only watched anime for a couple years now and I've felt emotions and had reactions to animes I've watched that I never had watching traditional western media before. Case and point, I never once cried or felt like crying watching a any tv show or movie prior to watching anime. Not sure why, but sometimes the presentation has a certain way to resonate emotionally that cannot be duplicated through traditional media.

Taruranto

"I am thou, thou art I...
Thou hast acquired a new vow,

It shall become the wings of rebellion
that breaketh thy chains of captivity,

With the birth of the Cat Persona,
I have obtained the winds of blessing that
shall lead to freedom and new power..."

VTQomnw.jpg

?

Cornbread78

Okay, that's exactly what I mean. :p

but, but, but, I have watched other forms of media.. Granted, not a whole lot since I've been working 2 jobs for a long, LONG time now, but, I've still had experiences with traditional media that did not invoke the same emotional response as anime.

Aki-at

Kado: 0 and 1

Is there a reason this keeps jumping from 2D to 3D animation, I'm getting distracted trying to catch the bits when it returns to 2D especially as episode 0 seemed to be mostly 2D animations!

A very intriguing show, kind of wished I went blind and not know the giant cube was going to decend onto Haneda airport, as the first episode totally makes it look like a straight political drama. Though in playing it so straight, the use of Dr. Shinawa who is pretty jarring to the rest of the cast, I guess they wanted a quack for some light humour. Picked up and will watch for more giant cube of doom.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sakura Quest Episode 4:

Yea, okay, this episode lost me but not for reasons of being boring for once. So for no particular reason they just introduced sci-fi elements into this grounded work slice-of-life show and it gave me a grand case of cognitive dissonance.

Deadly

I think it's because most people tend to view anime as trash and something you'd just watch when you're a teenager.

Like cartoons but worst.

Cornbread78

Sakura Quest Episode 4:
Yea, okay, this episode lost me but not for reasons of being boring for once. So for no particular reason they just introduced sci-fi elements into this grounded work slice-of-life show and it gave me a grand case of cognitive dissonance.

Sounds like I should just leave the show at 3 and out then.... It was already on thin ice and I really don't want to waste my time. Besides, I have too much work to do and the show already puts me to sleep...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sounds like I should just leave the show at 3 and out then.... It was already on thin ice and I really don't want to waste my time. Besides, I have too much work to do and the show already puts me to sleep...

I am still trying to wrap my mind over the fact that they have this steampunk inventor who just casually invented a mech suit thing that increases the body strength of humans where heavy lifting is no longer a chore and oh it is compatible with old people. I swear to god this happens and all they can think of is how this suit would work well with local arts and tourism.

One screen of grave of the fireflies and I start to get teary eyes again.

To this day I still haven't watched it. But it is something I do plan to get around to at some point.

I forgot to comment about this, but this was a pretty awesome and very true video/monologue...

I posted it because I thought it was a nice video and it's nice to see his (in his own words) "brain fart" videos he does every now and then.

I think he did one for Your Name a few months ago...

Good video but makes me feel salty that I still can't watch A Silent Voice yet.

Me too. Wondering when NA will get the chance to be able to watch it in theaters or whenever it comes to blu-ray.

At least he used Free, Naruto, NagiAsu, HxH, and From the New World.

I didn't expect anything less from you, DTL.

Sure... But I think he is trying to get to why anime can invoke a powerful response from people and why people ignorant of anime should not look at anime as this thing that only children watch, but rather, stories that can have emotional and powerful impacts on adults.

Well, the narrator was pretty specific when he was referring to HIS story and how watching anime caused a certain emotional response. Sure, it can be applied universally to all types of media, but he was really specific in regards to Anime.

I actually get what he means; I've only watched anime for a couple years now and I've felt emotions and had reactions to animes I've watched that I never had watching traditional western media before. Case and point, I never once cried or felt like crying watching a any tv show or movie prior to watching anime. Not sure why, but sometimes the presentation has a certain way to resonate emotionally that cannot be duplicated through traditional media.

Gigguk, I believe, is trying to convey what anime is to some people and how it does have meaningful stories to people. Even though there are people out there who don't believe that "cartoons" can have impact like that.

It's clearly a thought that he wanted to expand on after seeing A Silent Voice.

I think it's because most people tend to view anime as trash and something you'd just watch when you're a teenager.

Like cartoons but worst.

I think that is what Gigguk is getting at, yes.

duckroll

Okay, I guess I can see that point. But people who think that anime is trash by default are not worth paying attention to.

Anime was a mistake.

Season Rankings

KADO- Anime of the season
Tsukigakirei- Very simple and sweet love story so far. Simplicity done well
Tiger Mask W-Continues to be a lot of fun
Dragon Ball Super-Good
AOT S2-Good
MHA S2-Good
The Laughing Salesman-Fine
Eromanga Sensei-Ban Anime.
Re:Creators-Ban Anime again.

Thud

Kaiba 6

A flower eats memories and then projects them on the wall in a nice little slideshow. At least that grandma got sex!

JCG

Kado is indeed neat and worth watching. I don't feel the need to give it extra props since folks are already giving it enough attention.

As opposed to something as underwatched and underappreciated as ID-0. Speaking of which, here's my short write-up:

ID-0 episode 3

Well, that's one way to deal with the military showing up to ruin your day. Beyond that, the mysteries involving orichalt, Ido's memories and the strange girl keep piling up.

It's interesting how an odd little show like this is apparently attempting to address some of the ground previously covered by Ghost in Shell and its ilk, to be sure, but from a different position and in a more blatant yet arguably more dehumanizing manner. In that famous manga/series/film, the main concern was generally the set of implications derived from what happens when your consciousness is uploaded into something as wide-reaching and abstract as a global network or into otherwise visibly normal android bodies (aside from that one tank in SAC, IIRC). Even in that sort of context, it's easier to feel daily acceptance and sympathy towards people like the Major when your face isn't so obviously a piece of metal. Here in ID-0, we don't have a full picture of the popular perception yet (and maybe we won't see too much in the long run), but remaining permanently stuck in robot form is definitely not welcome, resulting in both a criminal act and the implied loss of your rights. Hardly the first use of this variation, I know, but I like it all the same and want to see how the nuances are handled within another type of story.

"Basically, you don't exist in this world."

Talk about being meta. In any event, this series is still totally fine as an Outlaw Star-esque space romp with potentially darker implications beneath the fun-and-games. Or a slightly more philosophically-inclined version of Bodacious Space Pirates with cool robots.

I am still trying to wrap my mind over the fact that they have this steampunk inventor who just casually invented a mech suit thing that increases the body strength of humans where heavy lifting is no longer a chore and oh it is compatible with old people. I swear to god this happens and all they can think of is how this suit would work well with local arts and tourism.

Exoskeletons aren't really that farfetched anymore. There are several in Japan designed by students to assist the elderly and some are already used in Korea for construction/dock worker tasks. They were also used to help with the Fukushima cleanup
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/08/exoskeleton_wrinkly_parent_care_plan_japan/
https://www.theverge.com/2011/11/7/...ic-suit-updated-for-fukushima-nuclear-cleanup
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/...xoskeleton-elderly-staff-160804122751454.html

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Exoskeletons aren't really that farfetched anymore. There are several in Japan designed by students to assist the elderly and some are already used in Korea for construction/dock worker tasks. They were also used to help with the Fukushima cleanup

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/08/exoskeleton_wrinkly_parent_care_plan_japan/
https://www.theverge.com/2011/11/7/...ic-suit-updated-for-fukushima-nuclear-cleanup
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/...xoskeleton-elderly-staff-160804122751454.html

That is actually informative, that being said, inventor guy still feels a tad out of place.

Ascheroth

Armed Girls Machiavellism 04

ID-0 03

I'll just say this continues to be very enjoyable and I'm looking forward to the friction between the new involuntary party member and the rest of the gang.
Curious about their past as well.

And why is that?
While I wouldn't say I'm against romance stories, whenever I'm reading or watching a romance story I cannot help but roll my eyes through my skull. I don't take very well to all the heming and hawing romance stories go through with the characters or how everyone acts all emotional and irrational over what I view as insipid things. That isn't to say I don't like emotional stories, but when the emotional story is romantic I find it hard to like.

Not to mention many romance sub-plots in stories have also ruined what I would have viewed as a generally good story. 8th MS team would be my anime example.

JCG

ID-0 03

I'll just say this continues to be very enjoyable and I'm looking forward to the friction between the new involuntary party member and the rest of the gang.
Curious about their past as well.

I am not super keen about Rick fawning all over her, though it's pretty much as expected for the genre, but it seems her interactions with Ido (and maybe the others) will be worth checking out.

Rankings?

The Eccentric Family S2, AoT S2 - very good
Bahamut Virgin Soul - decent
Kado The Right Answer - interesting
Re:Creators - dropping it already

Cornbread78

Hmm, after 3 weeks (only 2 for some) I can't believe I'm still watching so much $hit....

Most I've ever watched in a season through 3 weeks even....

Legit Good:
Sukasuka
Virgin Soul
Alice to Zouroku
Eccentric Family S2
My Hero Academia 2nd Season
Fukumenkei Noise
Attack on Titan (need to catch up on this one)
As the Moon, So Beautful

Junk Food: (Just plain FUN to watch)
Akashic Records
Love Tyrant
Saekano S2
Armed Girl's Machiavellism
Sword of Oratoria

Dirty Little Secrets: (that will get dropped at a moment's notice if it comes to that)
Eromanga-sensei
Tsugumomo
Horney Priest

Haven't quite figured out, but still watching:
Clockwork Planet (will probably move to junk food)
Grimoire of Zero (will probably move to junk food)
Sakurada Reset (will probably get dropped)

Dropped:
Sakura Quest
Kado (may pick back up....)

We ranking?

My Hero Academia season 2-AOTS
Tsukigakirei-Amazing
AoT-Good
Tsugumomo-Good
Boruto-Good
Kado-Good
Kabukibu-Good.

Pretty good season. But MHA just makes it the best.

Kenstar

the only tolerable character in eromanga is Elf Yamada
the rest can die in a fire
imouto can stay in her room during a 8.0 earthquake and get crushed to death by a 5 pound piece of rubble, the frail little shit
niisan can slowly starve to death from a lack of sales revenue to buy food
class rep can go get diagnosed with Ventricular tachycardia, unsuccessfully attempt treating it for a few years before it turns to Ventricular Fibrillation and a sudden and deserved death

The editor can live too i guess

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Elf Yamada is awful. Particularly with her ""advice"" that you should only produce art under the auspices of inspiration.

Wood Man

Season Rankings

KADO- Anime of the season
Tsukigakirei- Very simple and sweet love story so far. Simplicity done well
Tiger Mask W-Continues to be a lot of fun
Dragon Ball Super-Good
AOT S2-Good
MHA S2-Good
The Laughing Salesman-Fine
Eromanga Sensei-Ban Anime.
Re:Creators-Ban Anime again.

Pretty damn close to my list, but I haven't seen KADO yet. That may change tonight.

I'd also add Yowapeda, WorldEnd & Akashic Records. Enjoying all of those too.

Ascheroth

There hasn't really much changed in the last days, except that I'm moving Alice and Zouroku to mediocre, and I've started watching King's Avatar.
Re:Creators spot is fairly shaky right now, I hope the next episode is some dumb fun again.

There are basically 4 AOTS-level shows for me, so this season is pretty great.

Great: MHA2, Kado, Bahamut2, SukaSuka
Potentially good but with caveats: Re:Creators
Inexplicably above average junk food: Bastard Instructor
Medioce: Alice and Zouroku, Grimoire of Zero
Junk food: Armed Girls Machiavellism, Clockwork Planet, Sword Oratoria
Dropped: Sakurada Reset

On hold: AoT S2[/QUOTE]

KraytarJ

Great: Virgin Soul (AOTS), Saekano.flat
Good: My Hero Academia S2, Love Tyrant, Sakura Quest, Tsukigakirei, Ninja Girl & Samurai Master
Okay: Attack on Titan S2, Boruto
Almost Dropped: Re: Creators, Eromanga Sensei
Dropped: WorldEnd, Akashic, Love Rice, and a bunch of other things I watched 1 episode of

Still catching up on DB Super and Eccentric Family

While I wouldn't say I'm against romance stories, whenever I'm reading or watching a romance story I cannot help but roll my eyes through my skull. I don't take very well to all the heming and hawing romance stories go through with the characters or how everyone acts all emotional and irrational over what I view as insipid things. That isn't to say I don't like emotional stories, but when the emotional story is romantic I find it hard to like.

Not to mention many romance sub-plots in stories have also ruined what I would have viewed as a generally good story. 8th MS team would be my anime example.

I see, so you find romance in general too sappy. That's unfortunate, but you're hardly alone in that.

-----

Anyway, for what I'm currently watching this season, I would say I adore Eccentric Family 2 and Tsuki ga Kirei, like Laughing Salesman, and find Kado somewhat interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom