• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

KraytarJ

Madoka Magica 5-6
This magical girl business just keeps getting worse tbh. They all hate each other and they're not even kind of human anymore. The ideology battle going on was cool until Sayaka almost died because of Madoka. Although she did die but not really. Overall this seems like quite the raw deal, although what can expect when you make a deal with that creepy fox drug dealer thing.

I will not sit idly by and let your implications of Michael White's intentions stand.

A hex on you and yours

Nelson Babin-Coy is the VA, has a band over there, originally from Cali

I had seen the VA's name in the credits, but I didn't realize a band was the reason he was in Japan. Interesting.

HEYBOT! Episode 28 – Farewell, My Beloved Moekath!

Do not want, like Neji I thought the super versions were weird. I miss regular Moeru especially in the beginning, and also his regular outfit is so good, the flames are great.

Chigiru is a really great guy.

Monster Hunter Stories Ride On Episode 27 – Dovan Volcano Memories

Oh there's more to Navirou than just bad directions. Sign me up, that electricity was intriguing. I hope his past isn't really bad :(

Funniest thing with this episode was when the three of them were walking then it kicked us to a loading screen then came back with them at the destination. Great placement for it.

Osomatsu-san 3

Iz8mnx4.jpg

BCAGujt.jpg

The best part of this episode was the Megaman and Street Fighter eyecatches seen above. Otherwise, a parade of bizarre little skits.

Jarmel

Banned
Bungou Stray Dogs Season 2-
One of the driving themes behind the show is the value of self-worth and how hard it is to obtain it. It drives a number of characters who are seeking something intrinsically missing in their lives. Atsushi is driven by a notion of worthlessness driven into him as a child. Akutagawa seeks acknowledgement from Dazai due to being raised in the slums and so can only affirm his existence through combat. Dazai initially tried to make himself 'whole' during his Port Mafia tenure through the thrill and danger. Oda wanted to become a better person through his care of the orphans. Kyouka only sees herself as a killer and feels trapped in the role others defined for her. Expanding on that, the anime shows how crippling self-doubt and self-labeling can be. Atsushi is bound by chains forged of his own making. Yes they were tempered by his past but as Akutagawa points out, it has blinded Atsushi to the point where he's failing to recognize how good his current circumstances are. He has to move forward and determine his worth not by how others value him but by his own internal metrics.
I wasn't feeling the early parts of the 'proper' Season 2 (post flashbacks). It felt as if Atsushi had reverted back from some of the character development he had made at the end of the first cour. The Guild wasn't particularly interesting either early on, primarily from an ability standpoint as they seemed to be mirrors of existing abilities. However that shifted a bit and the show ended a lot stronger than I expected. Atsushi and Akutagawa's interactions helped further the other's character progression. The Guild's plans kept getting increasingly crazier. Some of the later Guild abilities were pretty fun as well such as Edgar Allen Poe's. Gatsby's power is so stupid that I love it. The show does a better job of balancing the comedy vs dramatic moments compared to the first cour.
From a visual standpoint this is easily one of BONES's more striking productions, not so much due to the combat sequences but rather the art direction and storyboarding. Igarashi shows generally have great layouts and this is no exception. There are a lot of iconic scenes in the show due to how good the storyboarding is. Storyboarding is really the heart of any anime and Igarashi has long since mastered it. I didn't even know that Igarashi storyboarded or directed the last episode when I watched it but the quality on all fronts was so high that you can tell anyway. The character art in the finale was an embarrassment of riches. There's also a plethora of reaction faces throughout both seasons. So. Many. Reaction. Faces.
Is the rest of S2 as great as the opening four episodes? No. Those were of a different caliber and beast altogether. However the rest is good in the sense that it's an improved version of S1 with a tighter scenario, bigger stakes, and better handling of tone discrepancy. It's nowhere near as scattershot as S1 where almost everything felt clunky (besides episodes 7-10). The heavier focus on internal-conflict helped to thematically tie the season together. Igarashi should just continue doing more adaptations (well either that or get rid of Enokido).
Special call out to the fantastic ED. It really drove home some of the more emotional moments in the season. When Kyouka walks into the Agency and her eyes light up...

Yakuza 0 chapter 10
C-_Tiqi9_Xg_AEJy_J0.jpg

Come on Kiryu, that would be too predictable in this story. Think bigger, like first man on Mars or something.

The story is trying to make me think that Tachibana is literally the scum of the earth, but I'm not buying it, because one, it's too simple a twist, and two Tachibana appears to be around 110 pounds and
needs a dialysis machine.

So somehow I don't think he's the final boss.

Qurupeke

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis 2

Another excellent episode, the show definitely nails the DnD Chaotic Good feeling, with a good dose of action and comedy.

I'm still not a fan of Favaro, but I admit that his energy really elevates the show and especially his dynamics with Amira. The dancing scene and its follow up not only had a very good direction but they were really cute too. Seeing Favaro's gradual change of heart was nice. The "Are you a liar?" bit killed me both times though.

My impression from episode 1 was that Amira would be serious or a weirdo, but I'm so glad she has such a cute and innocent side on her.

Szadek

Kirakira☆Precure A La Mode - Ep. 12
Really good episode. We finally got to learn a bit about the villain as well as a fight scene.
More importantly, the next episode is about Himari!

Qurupeke

I have completed my blood pact with Narag.
"I am thou, thou art I...
Thou hast acquired a new vow,

It shall become the wings of rebellion
that breaketh thy chains of captivity,

With the birth of the Cat Persona,
I have obtained the winds of blessing that
shall lead to freedom and new power..."

Szadek

"I am thou, thou art I...
Thou hast acquired a new vow,

It shall become the wings of rebellion
that breaketh thy chains of captivity,

With the birth of the Cat Persona,
I have obtained the winds of blessing that
shall lead to freedom and new power..."
So... Narag can now control when Duckroll goes to bed?

lbsa

The Tatami Galaxy - 01

Well, that was certainly an experience.Mostly visually, but the story seems straightforward so far and i like that it has that creepy feeling surrounding our mc making him feel uneasy and tense in his seemingly (mostly) day to day life (or maybe that was just Ozu).
The dialog was at times too fast for my liking. It keeps the attention to what the characters are saying and doesn't leave much room for digesting what is happening on the screen, which is a shame since it does have a lot going for it in that regard. Might just have to get used to it more.

Line_HTX

Yeah. It's also surprisingly good looking.

Probably the first Chinese animation show for me that's consistently good looking enough to compare with the shit Japan pushes out every season. Hope they can keep this up for 60 episodes.

The studio working on this kind of feels like they're trying ufotable techniques with less budget, but it looks good enough to compete with the Japanese stuff this season.

Are they going all in on this project? 60 episodes sounds like a huge endeavor.

Going off on these screenshots these look decent enough for an actual Chinese made production.

Cornbread78

Nana ep.36
Watching everything fall apart around Nana is kinda painful to watch. I miss the Hachi x Nana interactions more than anything else at this point. Everything is
Trapnest's
fault and I'm sure it's going to downhill for Hachi again soon as well since Takumi is still
hitting on other woman

Dio

Banned
Are they going all in on this project? 60 episodes sounds like a huge endeavor.

Going off on these screenshots these look decent enough for an actual Chinese made production.

I heard something about five seasons for this show, but apparently I was wrong? Not sure, conflicting information. All I remember is setting 'slated for five seasons' online but I guess that's for a live action version, or not? Would like confirmation.

It made sense to me because there's a lot of novel to get through.

John Blade

Nana ep.36
Watching everything fall apart around Nana is kinda painful to watch. I miss the Hachi x Nana interactions more than anything else at this point. Everything is
Trapnest's
fault and I'm sure it's going to downhill for Hachi again soon as well since Takumi is still
hitting on other woman

Man...hope you like the show and how it end as it was a very emotional roller coaster when I watch it when it aired in Japan.

Kado The Right Answer 01

This is like Star Trek the Motion Picture and Shin Godzilla together ain't it? Well it manages to be more like Shin Godzilla and less like Star Trek the "Motion" Picture because I'm not really, really bored.

Kado The Right Answer 01

This is like Star Trek the Motion Picture and Shin Godzilla together ain't it? Well it manages to be more like Shin Godzilla and less like Star Trek the "Motion" Picture because I'm not really, really bored.

It starts out sort of like that but diverges once the alien presence gets more screentime.

duckroll

Bungo Stray Dawgs Season the Second - Episodes 1-4 (END)

Pretty good. Probably Igarashi's best work since those middle stretch character arc episodes in Star Driver a gazillion years ago. I don't think it's super duper fantastic overall because it's still a prequel story to a main story I don't care much for, but there's definitely a "more serious and more concise narrative" feel to it like Fate/Zero or whatever. Direction was great. Igarashi layouts are outstanding. There are even good action scenes in the last two episodes. The music though. OMG. Great use of insert songs too.

I wonder if the movie they're doing will be similar in tone.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Episode 4

You know, I am beginning.to think the reason why Naruto is overworked is because of all of the rampant carnage caused by Boruto and the rest of Class Shithead.

zulux21

Man...hope you like the show and how it end as it was a very emotional roller coaster when I watch it when it aired in Japan.

nana was great.

I still wish the creator would come out and say she is never going to finish it instead of making new nana art each year @_@

Cornbread78

nana was great.

I still wish the creator would come out and say she is never going to finish it instead of making new nana art each year @_@

It's definitely been a roller coaster so far and these last few episodes have been really tough on Nana....

Breakdown incoming, I can already see it and Ren knows it as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom